Start by marking “What's a Penguin to Think When He Turns Pink!” as Want to Read:
What's a Penguin to Think When He Turns Pink!

What's a Penguin to Think When He Turns Pink!

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  29 reviews
When Patrick wakes up one day to find he has inexplicably turned bright pink, he sees red: "Whoever heard of a pink penguin?" he cries. "And boys can't be pink!" After too much teasing, he's had enough. "I don't fit in here anymore," he tells his parents. "I'm going to Africa to see the flamingos." But poor Patrick doesn't fit in with them, either: He can't stand on one le
Published January 1st 2009 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about What's a Penguin to Think When He Turns Pink!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's a Penguin to Think When He Turns Pink!

Princess in Pink by Meg CabotMy Life in Pink & Green by Lisa GreenwaldConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaThe Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren WilligThe Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
pretty in pink!
78th out of 165 books — 62 voters
Tacky the Penguin by Helen LesterAnd Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson365 Penguins by Jean-Luc FromentalLost and Found by Oliver JeffersA Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis
Picture Books with Penguins
47th out of 68 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Vinaya
Very nice book for kids ... its about a little penguin Patrick who wakes up one day to find himself turned "PINK".
He is worried about it because "BOYS CANT BE PINK". The story is about how he feels like a misfit, how his friends tease him at school and how he goes away to Africa to be with pink flamingos. But he finds that he has nothing in common with them other than the color and decides to go back home to the south pole. By now his friends have started missing him and are used to the fact tha
Kelli Overcash
Book Title: What’s a Penguin to Think When He Turns Pink! By Lynne Rickards

Short Description of Book: Patrick the Penguin turns pink unexpectedly and cannot stand the teasing that ensues. He decides he has had enough and sets out to find other pink birds just like him. He finds them but he is still different (they are flamingos). He goes home only to realize that being different is not always a bad thing.

FOCUS: Narrative Features I would use in a mini lesson

1. Character Development: Rickards tak
Kyle Lukoff
Patrick the penguin woke up one morning and was very confused--instead of his normal tuxedo coloring he was suddenly bright pink. At first his disbelief follows gendered lines ("boys can't be pink!") but when his father shows him pictures of flamingos he then decides to defect from his species, and swims to Africa to hang out with his new chromatic compatriots.

Patrick quickly discovers that he is comically inadequate as a flamingo and heads back to Antarctica. Instead of teasing him for his colo
Miz Lizzie
Okay, I'm hardly an unbiased reader for this one as it is written by one of my best friends from childhood but I loved it! When Patrick the penguin suddenly and inexplicably turns pink overnight, he is mortified and afraid of being teased. He is teased initially but his transformation also inspires him to seek out other pink birds, in this case, flamingos in Africa. He comes to understand that, pink or not, Antarctica is where he belongs. Upon his return from his adventures, he finds he is accep ...more
Lindsay Fouts
I loved the book. The only part I didn't like was the line that said "Boys can't be pink". My son is 3, and pink is his favorite color. I don't want him to think there is anything wrong with that.
Chelsea Bucci
A boy penguin turns pink and exclaims that boys "cannot be pink!" His father ends up showing him that flamingos are pink, beautiful, AND some are boys! His dad proved to him that boys can in fact be pink. At school, he was teased for being pink and different from his peers. He ends up visiting Africa to try and fit in with flamingos. When he returns home, he has found that he was missed by his classmates and his parents. They were so thankful that he returned home, that they stopped teasing him. ...more
Neil Nicholson
When the Penguin turns pink, he cant believe his eyes. After being teased by friends, he decides to swim to Africa where pink birds (flamingos) are everywhere. He lives with the flamingos for a while until he realizes that he doesn't belong with them because he cant do all the things they do,like fly. He goes back home, where his friends except him in all his pink glory! he learns to love himself. This is a good read for all ages. All children go through a stage where they feel like an outcast, ...more
Jackie
Patrick is in a prickly predicament when he turns pink! His classmates tease him, even though his parents said they wouldn't. He decides to swim for eight days to Africa to live with the flamingos. But, Patrick doesn't quite fit in, so off he goes, back to the South Pole, swimming eight long days back to his family. His classmates are impressed and his best friend, Arthur missed him. Patrick guesses it isn't so bad being pink.
Danielle
Amanda
Cute book about being different. At first I thought it was very timely for us because DS has been saying that he wanted to get something pink and I told him it'd be hard to find anything since most boys don't like pink. Patrick mentions this in the book too, but in the end it doesn't too much matter. My son was confused at the end why they never figured out how he turned pink in the first place...
Molly
One day Patrick the penguin wakes up and he is pink! This is awful he is a boy penguin and does not want to be different so he learns about flamingos and goes to visit. Well I don't want to tell more but a great book about it being ok that you are different. It may end a little too happy but it is a nice story and there is tons of pink in it. I loved it. Ages 4+
Thu Nguyen
It is verry cute book. It reminds me of somethings that have become common sense, such as "Boys CANT be pink!" This book teaches children about being different. Being different isnt a bad thing, it's just how you live with it. Trying to be something else wont do any good to them. The illustration is very colorful and bright!
MissInformation
Patrick the penguin wakes up one day Pink! He is teased for being different, and in a search to find where he belongs, sets of to Africa to see pink flamingos. He is treated well there, but still doesn't fit and returns home. Telling of his travels, he gains respect and acceptance.
Done well enough, but not exceptional.
Lindsey Fraser
Cheerfully entertaining story with great illustrations and lovely page design. The story is one which will reflect particular situations to particular kids - but the overall impression is that although it's not always comfortable being different, it generally works out fine - with the support of the right people.
Kathryn Joyce
Patrick the Pink Penguin deals with one day waking up and being pink. It shows the postive and negatives to being considered 'different.' He shows how even when he didn't think he would ever fit it, he did. He was missed by his peers and considered a hero when they found out of his journey.
Sarah Souther
Patrick the penguin wakes up to find that he has turned pink! He journeys to hang out with some flamingos (even boy flamingos are pink), so he will feel that he belongs. This is a not-too-sappy story about friendship and belonging. Clean, bright illustrations keep the story light.
Tara
Patrick the Penguin has turned Pink! He didn't like being pink. He went to visit the Flamingoes but didn't fit in there either. But when he came home, everyone was so glad to see him he didn't mind being pink anymore.
Liza Gilbert
Not really all that effective in discussing how differences can be okay. It was a bit too corny. The illustrations were fun, but I didn't see anything remarkable about this book.
Erin
Dec 01, 2009 Erin added it
Shelves: children-s-books
A nice offering in the it's okay to be different category. I wasn't sure where it was going in the end, but definitely a good one for children struggling with this issue.
Kim Browning
This is a great book about learning to be happy with yourself even though you are different from everyone else. It is also a book about acceptance. Wonderful story!
Darryl Stephens
good affirmation for a pink boy but not exactly the book I anticipated. my daughter did not relate to this character. maybe the deeper message will sink in ...
A male pink penguin struggling with being different, a female AND black doctor penguin...add to that some great art work and you have a great children's book!!
Andrea Thomas, Greenville
This book reminds you that it is okay to be differet. You shouldn't try to be like everyone else, just be yourself!
The title of this book has been changed to _Pink!_ A good story about acceptance and sex roles.
Martha
What's not to like about a pink penguin. Cute book about accepting differences.
Mindi
YES! A picture book discussing gender identity that isn't The Sissy Duckling...
LoriAnn Kocialski
GREAT BOOK! I love the story ... fitting in when you are different!
Kris
Nice message, cute idea, but the art didn't grab me.
Michelle
I am always a sucker for a good penguin book!
Hina Shah
Hina Shah marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jacob O'Reilly Wants a Pet Lewis Clowns Around Harris the Hero Froggy Bottoms Down the Drain (Froggy Bottoms Books) Groovy Goggles & Other Splendiferous Rhymes