Start by marking “Curse of the Kings” as Want to Read:
Curse of the Kings

Curse of the Kings

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,811 ratings  ·  44 reviews
For centuries the tombs of the Pharaohs were haunted by a deadly curse. And when two eminent archaeologists have died mysteriously, Judith Osmond was certain that it was the curse at work. Then, overnight, her life changed.

There was an unexpected inheritance. Then Tybalt, a young archaeologist and the man she adored, asked her to marry him. But Tybalt planned a honeymoon
Published June 12th 1985 by Ivy Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Curse of the Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curse of the Kings

Cheryl Landmark
Victoria Holt has always been one of my favourite gothic writers. I started reading her many years ago, and I still enjoy delving into one of her books every now and then.

This one, although it started off a little slow in the action department, was no exception. The first part spent a fair amount of time introducing the characters, showing how their childhood and interactions with each other helped mold them into the adults they became. And, then, the mystery, suspense and intrigue common to the
Kerry Hennigan
A classic Victoria Holt like “The Curse of the Kings” is a sure-fire way to dispel a reading block. Her tales of imperiled but adventurous women have aged surprisingly well since they were first published, when, like many of her other readers, I quickly snapped up each new one as soon as it appeared in stores.

Inspired no doubt by the story of the discovery of King Tut’s tomb, “The Curse of the Kings” is narrated by Judith Osmond, a lowly companion to the widow of the local squire, and a friend o
I've read four of Victoria Holt's novels now, and I liked all of them, but I've noticed all of her books work on a formula, and now I have very little interest in reading the rest of them.

Here's the formula:

Female protagonist is childhood friends with wealthy children in the area, but is not wealthy herself. She becomes close to them and somewhere in her adolescence she falls madly in love with one of the rich men, who she can't have. As she gets older, her life continues to parallel the wealthy
Phil Syphe
The first half of the book is set in England; the second part in Egypt. Although no date is specified I gather from certain details that the time period is around the 1880s.

Several reviewers have stated that they prefer the Egyptian setting best, yet the events set in England engaged me the most. The first half was much like a typical novel written during the Victorian era, which shows how authentic this 1973 publication is. I like the no-nonsense heroine’s way of dealing with a most disagreeabl
A very stern look at the regime of King Henry the Eight - and this is no romance. It puts a very human feel to the time many books lack. The reader has a narrator they can identify with in Katherine Pole that completely removes whatever sympathy romance novels about the era have created. It is the story of a family rule riddled with doubt, treachery, corruption, torture and murder. No one was safe during the reign of Henry and his father before him. It was better to hold on to one's scruples and ...more
This was sent by Bookworm-lady as a celebration of her bookcrossing membership. I think this is the first book I've read by this author, and it was rather fun... at one point I really did wonder if, as opposed to most historical romance type novels, the hero would turn out NOT to be a hero, or the heroine would actually die...But far be it from me to offer a spoiler here.
I did have the impression there were a number of false leads - corridors which led to dead-ends, so to speak, that the author
A wonderfully suspenseful and thrilling read tinted with the mystique, legends, and a possible curse of ancient Egypt.

Certainly a must-read for all VH fans.
Annoying heroine stood in the way of my enjoying this ook.
Also Tybalt was a cold fish.
Felmar Rowell Singco
Set in Egypt... Delightful pharaohnic gothic romance...
Despite her unknown parentage, Judith Osmond has a lovely childhood. The local pastor and his sisters have provided a loving home for her at the rectory. She has attended lessons with the local squire’s daughter and nephew. That same squire, Sir Ralph, is quite pleased with her when she chances upon a Roman artifact; having a strong interest in archaeology himself, he finds her passion for archaeology worthy of indulging.

Years later, on an expedition in Egypt financed by Sir Ralph, his neighbor
Ashlee Mallory
The setting of this story was very interesting and I wonder if it was what had first piqued my interest in Egypt and the Middle East. But the romance was on the low end and would say a good twenty percent was spent on the heroine agonizing whether her husband loved her or not. Or more. It got to be pretty irritating, almost as much as the hero's cold indifference to her until the last five pages. Still, I think the Victoria Holt was an amazing storyteller, this book included.
The only reason i started reading this novel was it being connected to Egypt and Pharaohs. But after reading this novel i am sure that i am going to read more of Eleanor Hibbert aka Victoria Holt.

Initially slow paced, it makes you sit on the edge of your seats when you are half way through the novel. Please don't stop if you feel bored in the first few pages. Keep reading. trust me its totally worth it.

A must read :)
An English girl interest in archaeology, finds her true parentage, marries a local famous archaeologist and inherits a fortune. The story is about their adventures while excavating the ancient tombs of Egyptian kings.

Moves along, holds interest.
The book opens with the deaths of Sir Edward Travers and Sir Ralph Bodrean. Sir Edward was an archaeologist and died in Egypt while on a site. Sir Ralph had helped fund the expedition. Rumors a circulating that it's the curse of the Kings. The beginning of the book is about Judith growing up with the children in both homes. She was interested in archaeology and while growing up they had lessons about it and she continued her interest by reading books on the subject. Eventually you get to the pre ...more
Mar 21, 2015 Jenny added it
Recorded in AR Journal. I was on a Victoria Holt kick! Teacher comments, "You're doing a great job reading at night!"
a stretch to believe this read in fogelsville penn, ed and diane pascoe's yard
This was more about nostalgia than anything else. I read all the Victoria Holt, Mary Stewart, Barbara Michaels that I could get my hands on growing up. In the summer I would go out to the backyard and climb into the old Navy-issue hammock that I had strung between some trees on the wooded lot that bordered our lawn. No school, a good book to take me far away from that small Wisconsin town, sunshine, was idyllic. I enjoyed reading this again, but I couldn't help but be irritated by ...more
Catherine Graham
all through the book judith was worried that her man did not love her enough, they traveled to egypt and he worked on a dig but a man involved with the pasha tried to kidnap her and held her in tomb at the climax of the story. i think i could see this made into a nice tele-movie and surprised they didn't do that in the 1980s when it was so fashionable and finance was freely available to such ventures. I found i liked the book better the more i read it, like most books by the time the climax happ ...more
Susan Lorenz
I loved Victoria Holt in my younger days. A pleasant read but my tastes have matured a bit so that the plot didn't seem all that suspenseful to me. Easy light novel.
Sød og rimelig hurtigt læst romantisk roman med et historisk tilsnit. Man kan godt fornemme at den er skrevet for en del år siden, tonen og skrivestilen er en hel den anderledes end den man finder i dag, men det er fint til en afveksling en gang i mellem.
Hands down, this is my favorite Victoria Holt novel because I love the protagonist so much. I'll admit it's not her strongest novel. The plot is a touch contrived and Judith's ability to let her imagination run away from her is taken to a rather unbelievable extreme.

However, the characterization of Judith herself is more than enough to make up for the novel's flaws. Judith is exuberant, passionate, imaginative, and headstrong. The zeal with which she tackles life is incredibly appealing, and it
The ending is a bit blah! Plot twists are so so...not one of my favourites.
Carly Wirick
I really enjoyed the drama of this book and, of course, its setting in Egypt. Well-written with great character development and it keeps you guessing. The end seemed to come a little abruptly which was a little disappointing, but overall a fun read.
I like Victoria Holt books. I agree with an earlier reviewer that this is not her best book. This was the first novel of her's that I read and so it holds a special place in my heart. I enjoy her style of writing because I feel like I am reading something written in the 1870's instead of the 1970's.
Peggy Huey
An interesting read for people interested in archaeology, as central to the storyline is a search for a Pharaoh's tomb in Egypt. Set in the 19th century when people were supposed to maintain their station, the book provides a heroine who actively seeks to step above hers and to control her life choices.
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Another good read. Judith thought that the tombs were haunted, but she didn't want to admit it. And then her sister died and she was reconsidering her thoughts. Was really a good book, couldn't put it down at the end, so had to finish it.
La protagonista es un poco arrogante pero la vida ya la puso en su lugar, sufrio un poquito para conseguir al galan y ahora esta con la incognita (como mas de una de las prota de la Holt) de si Tybalt se casa por ella o por su fortuna.
I absolutely love gothic romances with all of the mystery and the strong female characters. Victoria Holt is an amazing author incorporating an unforgettable story with amazing characters.
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • Rainsong

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...
Mistress of Mellyn On the Night of the Seventh Moon The Shivering Sands The India Fan The Pride of the Peacock