Start by marking “This is What I Did:” as Want to Read:
This is What I Did:

This is What I Did:

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  1,281 Ratings  ·  294 Reviews

Imagine if you had witnessed something horrific.
Imagine if it had happened to your friend.
And imagine if you hadn't done anything to help.

That's what it's like to be Logan, an utterly frank, slightly awkward, and extremely loveable outcast enmeshed in a mysterious psychological drama. This story allows readers to piece together the sequence of events that has changed h
Published February 1st 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about This is What I Did, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This is What I Did

Steven
Feb 17, 2008 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger, aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Zyler is gone. Logan is drowning in guilt. Will an attempt to make a new start really work?

Logan is a different kid. He has twin younger brothers whose lives revolve around sports. His dad cares, but he's busy. His mother is pregnant, something he'd rather not think too much about. They care, but they don't know what to do to help him.

Not a kid with lots of friends, Logan seems to manage to participate in life at a normal level.
Beth
Aug 11, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just 3.5 stars, rightly rounded up

Despite the slightly poor title, this is a sad, moving and profound but totally unpretentious book. Violence (especially inflicted by parents to children) and attempted sexual assault are referenced, but are given a delicate, sensitive treatment that is not at all graphic but also don't shy away from the horror. This is a difficult balance but Ellis strikes it perfectly.

Logan's silence is amazingly written; like Melinda Sordino in Speak, it never becomes repetit
Kim
Another story about some horrific teen episode (and I don't mean to sound jaded, because there's enough horrific crap out there happening to teens and everyone else.)

Usually I feel like I've been blessed by GMBA nominees... this one was a skimmer. The best part being the last 4 or 5 pages (and I'm not being snide, really.)

Bethany
Jan 11, 2016 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the thing with Zyler, I was alone and I wouldn't leave my room.
And.
I.
Was.
Sad."

Me:
Them: WELL!? Was This Is What I Did good or not?
Me: It was really good.
And then I left.

"Dad got a raise.
He's happy.
Mom's happy.
Mack and Ryan are happy.
Mom says the baby in her stomach is happy.
And I don't care really."

Bětka
Jul 15, 2013 Bětka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Co víc říct? Tohle si prostě pozornost zaslouží!

Janessa
Mar 20, 2008 Janessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently read Anne Bronte’s The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, and although I enjoyed this atypical Victorian novel for several reasons, I was absolutely arrested by a few lines Bronte addresses to her readers in her preface to the second edition of the book. It seems that the first edition was met with some criticism because of her portrayal of a woman trapped in a loveless and abusive marriage. In choosing this subject matter, Bronte was exposing a hidden struggle that society was not ready to see ...more
Caroline Heeb Hicks
I read this book as favor for the Librarian. She is trying to decide if her 12-15 year old book club should read it next month. So I read it one night in a couple hours. It definitely kept my attention and was an interesting read. I decided it's hard to formulate 2 opinions while reading a book- one for a young book club and one for yourself.

For the 12-15 year old age group I felt like it was kind of too much. I didn't feel like the inner turmoil that Logan was dealing with was really resolved
Joey
Feb 27, 2013 Joey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mar-2013
Logan and Zyler are best friends; they bike together, they walk together and they admire Cami Wakefield together. All they really have is each other. When Logan is suspicious of Zyler and Cami one night, he witnesses a terror. A terror so horrific that Logan altogether just stops. He stops talking, he doesn't come out of his room, he's just so speechless. To make it worse, Zyler disappears and so does Cami. After Logan tries to have a new start, he copes with the bullies and tries to keep a conv ...more
Tory Mcclintick
May 07, 2015 Tory Mcclintick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book it's an emotional rollercoaster and I grew extremely attached to Logan as I was reading through this. If I had any questions they would be the following three: 1. what is the time frame? Is it the late 90s or early 2000s? 2. Is there a sequel? 3. Why is logan so afraid or change? The next part of this review characters you have the main characters being Logan His mom, father and his twin brothers Mack and Ryan, Toby, Bruce, Luke (The bullies), Laurel, Cami, and finally Z ...more
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
Part verse, part screenplay, this book was written in a very interesting and effective way. The story was very interesting - Logan is a quiet yet still intriguing character. He is quiet and won't talk to anybody about what he's experienced, but the silence is put across very effectively and not in an irritating manner. I enjoyed Logan's relationship with his parents - although they were certainly not perfect, they were supportive of him. I also found Logan's relationship with Laurel to be very i ...more
Dracolibris
Oct 08, 2007 Dracolibris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit, 2007
Read in one day, a work day even, I could not put this book down until I found out what the young narrator DID or didn't do, as the case may be. It involves a situation with his best friend, a girl they both were crushing on, and one heckuva scary father. After THAT night, poor Logan is moved to a different neighborhood by his family, to a place and school where no one will know what happened and he can get a fresh start. But does he want one, or will he find that he is trapped by his past? This ...more
Karla
Ann Dee Ellis
157 pages
November 6,2009
Book rating: 8

I think that zyler made a major importance in the book because aven though he is a minor character in the book, Logan and zyler are best friends even though they like the same girl they are still friends. In the end zyler and the girl they both liked go out and zyler leaves without no one knowing and Logan is still friends with Zyler even though Zyler took the the girl he liked.
Joanna
Three reasons I loved this book: (1) Excellent use of silence--it's like Pinter for the younger set. (2) The colon at the end of the title, particularly when paired with: (3) One of my favorite book covers of the year; not only is it eye-catching in its starkness, it also represents the story more than most covers manage to do, particularly in YA lit.
Ashley
Dec 01, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9th-grade
It was soooo good!
I cant even explain it.
I just know that whoever reads this should read it and they beter like it:)
but seriously it was a really great book
It made me sad at times because of the way they treated him and stuff and they thought they knew his story but they didnt.
this will make no sense to someone who hasn't read it so...
GO READ IT!!!
7703maya
Oct 15, 2012 7703maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This awesome book is a story about a young boy who has witnessed something life changing that he never wants to see again. It is realistic fiction. I liked this book because it was a page turner and a very quick read. It is also written in verse!
Ashley
Jun 19, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this 4 1/2. I thought it was really powerful. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It caught my attention and I read it in an afternoon (it's pretty short).
Michelle
May 01, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: local-authors
Moe Bhuiyan
In the novel, This is What I Did, written by Ann Dee Ellis is a story written in the perspective of a teenage boy named Logan. The book tells readers about the hard times Logan had to face when he moved into a new community called Judge. While it was hard for Logan to leave his old school, it was even harder for him to leave his best friend Zyler. They both spent a lot of time with each other and did lots of things that would surprise their parents. This book has many literary devices that show ...more
Nick Gicewicz
Oct 24, 2016 Nick Gicewicz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good at creating a good plot that eventually led to a great ending. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery or just likes to read a good book.
Adam Brockey
Mar 03, 2017 Adam Brockey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting way of how they wrote certain things, like when certain characters spoke. I even admired how different settings and characters were being used randomly, like every few pages changed what the main character was doing, where he was, who he was with or talking to, so far, I kind of relate this book to a book we're already reading in English, Speak, because I just started reading that one and it's somewhat a LITTLE bit similar, not all the way similar, but the way it's written looks like ...more
Linda Clark
I loved the palindrome notes. Although I admired the book, I found it very hard to read. The story is so painful.
Loveliest Evaris
Jun 29, 2011 Loveliest Evaris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to read about bullying and social outcasts
I picked up this book expecting it to be good, and I was rewarded with such. It wasn't played out neatly before me as a reader, I had to keep reading as the story wove current events with the past. It was rarely ever confusing for me and I applaud Ann Dee Ellis for weaving this kind of story as she did so that it wanted you to read more to find the answers and left you with an open question that the reader could answer by themselves.

The book is about a 13 year old boy named Logan Paloney, a shy,
Kourtni Roucoulet
I’m not entirely sure what I think about this book. It was a pretty good and very quick read, but it wasn’t anything spectacular and I doubt it’s going to have any lasting impact on me at all.

Two things initially drew me into this book: I was looking for a quick read and I like books with a unique format. The format is definitely unique – there aren’t chapters, but rather short sections that range from a line to about two pages that are separated by small pictures/icons. The format makes an alre
Dani
Jun 03, 2012 Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main conflict of the story is that Logan moved to have a new life that he doesn’t like because of something that happened in his old city. The conflict is mainly recreated in the following scenes: when they tell what happened in the last city (that I could tell you but I would ruin the surprise of the book), the scene where he is moving from Mulholland to Judge and the scenes in school and with Dr. Benson.

Some of the weaknesses of the main character, Logan, are that he is antisocial or he
Alicia
Jan 01, 2013 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alicia Brantigan 1/1/12
For this month, I read a book titled “This is What I Did” written by Ann Dee Ellis. This story tells about a boy named Logan. The year before Logan witnessed an event that involved his best friend Zyler. Logan tells about how h should of done something, how he could have helped. Now, a year or so later and in a new house without Zyler, Logan wishes he could go back to that night and fix it.

The story was told by Logan’s point of view. Logan was a quiet, quirky, 7th grade bo
Hweeps
May 20, 2011 Hweeps rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Hovering between a 1 to 3 star rating. This book was rather disappointing. The reviews on Goodreads have for the most part, been pretty positive, so I thought I would like it a lot too. But it turned out to be otherwise. Let me clarify, though, that I didn't exactly dislike it. Nor is it badly-written. It's just not my style and type of book.

This Is What I Did is written in a unique way. Logan, the protagonist, narrates the book, and his perspectives of the world are quite interesting. They are
Callista
Mar 03, 2017 Callista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird font but interesting plot.
Britt
Mar 26, 2009 Britt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Britt by: Heather Buchta
Hmmm. I'm still not sure what I think about this.

The story centers around a troubled eighth grader named Logan. Something horrible has happened to him but he is too traumatized to talk or even think about it. Through Logan’s painful trials both at school and at home, the reader eventually discovers what happened that one night and what Logan did (or didn’t do) to cause him such pain.

The story itself is touching at times, but the style bothered me. At first the book reminded me of The Curious In
Danielle
Jul 14, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would definitely recommend this book for adults. The topic matter was kind of depressing and really not something I would want my jr. high-age kid to read (it’s YA), but it’s incredibly well done, and very thought provoking.

Ironically, this book was written by my Persuasive Writing instructor at BYU, and this review would fall under the category of writing with the intent to persuade. She was an excellent teacher, by the way, but I’m not going to do multiple drafts of this review, so I hope s
Reading log #14 1 3 Jun 03, 2012 03:18PM
  • Safe
  • Touching Snow
  • When I Crossed No-Bob
  • Life, Vol. 5 (Life, #5)
  • The Way He Lived
  • Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!
  • Bad Alice
  • Hidden Roots
  • Onani Master Kurosawa 1
  • The Beckoners
  • The Death of Jayson Porter
Ann Dee (pronounced "Andy") Ellis received an MA from Brigham Young University, where she now works as an instructor for creative writing for children and young adults. She lives in Utah with her husband and two young sons.
More about Ann Dee Ellis...