Start by marking “The Duke's Captive (Winter Garden #4)” as Want to Read:
The Duke's Captive (Winter Garden #4)

The Duke's Captive (Winter Garden #4)

Vengeance would be his...

Ian Wentworth arrives in London with one goal: revenge. Now a duke of enormous wealth, he should settle down to the business of marrying and producing heirs. But nightmares of an ordeal from his past haunt him at every turn. All those he believes responsible have paid with their lives. All but one: Viola Bennington-Jones, the lovely Lady Cheshire.
Published January 1st 2010 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Duke's Captive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke's Captive

Rane
Mar 30, 2010 Rane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Claiming the Courtesan by Anna Campbell
Shelves: victorian-era
Eastofoz
May 04, 2011 Eastofoz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All consuming revenge romance almost like Campbell's Claiming the Courtesan
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Piratequeen
If you like the captive/captor/you're-so-dead-when-I-get-you revenge romance then this should work for you, BUT (and I can’t stress this “but” enough), if “forced seduction” (basically the hero does what he wants and the heroine says no but in her head she wants it as badly as he does) is not your thing, then don’t read this book. The whole forced seduction bit gets very borderline at times but it’s turn on the broiler hot and will likely leave you panting when it’s over. Ashworth does a fine jo ...more
Samantha
Jun 30, 2010 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
He was out to seek revenge. She was trying to protect those she loved and everything she built. Passion, betrayal and lust brought them together. The Duke’s Captive is a fast paced tale of betrayal and forgiveness. Tied together through a turbulent past, Ian and Viola has to let go everything they hold dear to find a passion they had never known existed.

Ian Wentworth is a deeply troubled man. Moved by vengeance, the handsome duke only goal is to bring down Viola Bennington-Jones. Years ago they
Yaseena
Jun 16, 2010 Yaseena rated it it was amazing
I’ve had The Duke’s Captive on my shelf for over a year, I bought it last summer after it was first released and remember being all geared up to read it, but then of course my interest in other books took over and I ended up putting it on my shelf only to pick it up this weekend. Boy was I surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it! So often with me I start reading a historical romance and half way through I end up getting bored and have to push myself to finish the book. This usually happens ...more
Denise
Dec 01, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
This story seemed to leave me with more questions than answers. Feeling as if I missed something as there were references to diamonds and other things that were not explained, I checked out the authors other books and found that this is a part of the Winter Garden series ( I had this added to the series now to avoid this confusion for anyone else) It seems that A Notorious Proposition is all about Ian's time in captivity, the how, when and why's of it, but it is his sister Ivy's story.
I did en
Fani *loves angst*

Probably if I read it at any other time this would be a keeper but my mood was too bad to really grasp its worth. Anyway, I loved it and will definitely read more books by Ms Ashworth as soon as possible.

PS: This has been compared to Claiming the Courtesan and while I see the similarities, in the end I hated CtC with a passion but loved this, so don't let your dislike for one book prevent you from reading the other (if that's the reason you haven't read it yet).
Dangermousie
If romance novels are anything to go by, there must be more Dukes in England than there are mice.

Five years ago, our hero-the-Duke was kidnapped by evil sister duo, drugged and starved and chained in a dungeon for 5 weeks. Why? It's a romance novel, go with it. Now he's out gunning for revenge for the surviving third sister - who was neither a kidnapper nor a jailer but whom he blames for not letting him out and who he kinda thinks raped him. But he is not just revenge-motivated - he is also su
Sharyn
Jun 23, 2015 Sharyn rated it really liked it
It seems I have now read 1 and 4 of this series. I need to read number 3, as it is how Ian got captured. This book is a revenge story. Ian was kidnapped and held for 5 horrible weeks, which he only vaguely remembers. He thinks Viola was part of it, so seeks revenge. She is a talented artist and Ian, the Duke approaches her, pretending he doesn't remember her. He tries to trap her, she manages to humiliate him, and a psychological war ensues. They both have secrets that eventually come out. And l ...more
Lori
Jun 18, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it
Wow, This was a very intense book, and there is a lot of morally ambiguous behavior on the part of both hoer and heroine. For his part, Ian pretty much put his desire for revenge against Viola out there but Viola kept secrets from Ian for much of the book, until it was all stripped away. It's a very angsty book, but it was totally appropriate.

There is what I would call a forced seduction scene in it, that fit completely with Ian's thirst for revenge, and his interpretation of past events. Normal
Noelle
This was the first book by Adele Ashworth that I have read and it wont be the last. I loved this book, the plot was really interesting and although I got the feeling that this isn't really a stand alone book and more likely a second in a series I never felt "out of the loop" with the characters.

THE DUKE'S CAPTIVE is a revenge themed historical with really steamy love scenes. Ian Wentworth was kidnapped and held hostage in a dungeon, chained to a wall by Viola's sisters. She did everything she co
Mskychick
Feb 28, 2012 Mskychick rated it did not like it
Wow. this book was awful. I kept rooting for bad things to happen both to him and to her as they were so idiotic. I am slightly surprised that I even finished this book, given that every 30 pages I was shaking my head over how mad these peurile characters were making me
Naima
Mar 07, 2017 Naima rated it really liked it
karena gak baca seri sebelumnya sempat bingung dengan jalan ceritanya, jadi mungkin nantinya aku akan mencoba menyempatkan baca seri sebelumnya biar tahu runut ceritanya.

Ian Wentworth menunggu lima tahun lamanya untuk bisa membalas dendam pada Viola, salah satu perempuan yang ikut andil dalam masa penculikan dan penyekapan dirinya di penjara bawah tanah selama lima minggu. Kemunculannya tepat dengan usainya masa berkabung Viola akan kematian suaminya. Ian berpura-pura tidak mengenali Viola keti
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
I wanted to read this book because I read about Ian's captivity from A NOTORIOUS PROPOSITION. The story was slow at first but I wanted to see the end. If I haven't read ANP I would of stop reading. The book did pick up and I really enjoyed the growing love that Ian had for Viola but he had to get pass the HATE in his heart. Viola is a woman with too many secrets. She also had a great talent in art that I think her husband used to line it empty coffers. Ian memory starts to return and he believes ...more
Shelli
Aug 09, 2010 Shelli rated it really liked it
Really, this should be 4.5 stars, not just 4. I liked the atypical hero/heroine. It wasn't obvious to me if/when these two would ever get together. That revenge factor was a pretty large stake in the story line (as it should be!!). I think, I too, would be furious if I were held captive and fed just enough food and water to keep me alive.

The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because I was able to put this book down and walk away from it and come back to it at will. :-)

Oh yeah, and after read
Annette
Jun 18, 2012 Annette rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first part, but their bickering got to me.
He wouldn't listen to her...I mean, come on, give the woman a chance to explain what happened and how she felt. Nope, he was too pig headed and stubborn and out for revenge.
I hate books where they don't talk and constantly bicker, then kiss and bicker and kiss.
I had to really skip and speed read through the rest. I couldn't get into their constant chatter back and forth. Lies, secrets, not talking, not listening and stubborn-closed minds. D
Elle
Dec 22, 2010 Elle rated it really liked it
Kay
Aug 29, 2010 Kay rated it liked it
The first half of this was very slow for me. I enjoyed the second half more even though it was disturbing. It's just hard not to see this story as a story about nonconsensual sex. When a guy is chained up and drugged in a basement, it doesn't matter if he "begs" for it. He's not in his right mind. Viola raped him. She doesn't think she did, and in the end, he doesn't seem to think she did either, but... Yeah. I *really* had to suspend reality to finish the book.

And it's not that I hated it. It w
Joan
Aug 11, 2012 Joan rated it liked it
This started out as a great storyline, I loved the whole idea of remaking yourself and moving out from your past. That being said Ian went way freaking overboard in his sick need for revenge at least in my opinion. I liked the strong Viola and how she kept to her morals and the truth. I just wish Ian didn't have a really sick twisted need for revenge that clouded everything he touched including Viola.
DemetraP
Jun 24, 2014 DemetraP rated it did not like it
This was a did-not-finish book. The entire plot revolves around the duke being kidnapped 5 years ago and what the heroine had to do with it. I'm about halfway done with the book and there is not any romance.

It's just accusations back and forth. "I know what you did." "No, you don't." "Tell me!" "Tell you what?"

I gave up.
Sindy Sg
Jul 15, 2013 Sindy Sg rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading this one. I just couldn't put it down. Looking forward to reading more books by this author. I didn't give it a five star because of the way it ended. I felt like it could have ended somewhat more romantic.
Mary Vilarino
Mar 17, 2015 Mary Vilarino rated it did not like it
I think the fact that I gave it one star sums up my opinion of this book. Having said that I liked Viola the central character I just didn't like Ian. He was selfish a bully and I would not have given him the time of day.
Dancer
Oct 17, 2010 Dancer rated it liked it
I preferred Ivy's story to Ian's. Ian Wentworth possessed to much angst for me to accept him as a relatable character. However, I would give Ms. Ashworth credit for her voice within the piece. I would definitely purchase another of her novels to read.
Ana
Mar 24, 2016 Ana rated it it was ok
Pretty spicy and entertaining. I had issues w/ the succession of John though. A baron is such a far cry from a Duke. But when the alternative is illegitimacy with no title at all...well what can you do! :/
Laine
Aug 01, 2011 Laine rated it it was amazing
the moment i started reading this i cant stop myself. it got me excited to know the next that will happen to the main characters.
Pamela
Jan 15, 2012 Pamela rated it liked it
Rated 3.5
Robyn
Jul 21, 2014 Robyn rated it did not like it
Sorry but I couldn't get past the viciousness of the "hero's" intentions particularly on an innocent party.
Ivy Leah
Apr 10, 2014 Ivy Leah rated it it was amazing
intoxicating..painful
Christina
Apr 14, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
Only problem was the abrupt ending. I would have preferred a little more detail or an epilogue.
Jaime West
Jun 26, 2011 Jaime West rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Victoria
Mar 17, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh! Sooooo goood! What a thrilling plot!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 02:25PM
  • Tempting a Proper Lady (Brides of Nevarton Chase, #1)
  • Lie Down In Roses
  • The Promise (deWarenne Dynasty, #11)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • My Dark Prince
  • Beauty and the Duke (Mystical Bliss, #1)
  • The Book of Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #1)
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • The Pleasures of Sin
  • Wedding of the Season (Abandoned at the Altar, #1)
  • Lily
  • Secrets of a Duchess
  • Gypsy Lady (Louisiana #1)
  • Love in the Wind
  • At the Duke's Pleasure (The Byrons of Braebourne, #3)
  • Tempting the Marquess (Weston, #2)
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • A Rose at Midnight
Adele Budnick was born in 1963. She has always felt she's led a rather dull life on her road to becoming a romance author. Unfortunately, she's also often been wrong.

From the first time she stepped onstage to sing Petula Clark's "Downtown" for a crowd (at the age of three in a Juarez, Mexico, hotel restaurant, dancing on the table at the urging of the Spanish-speaking waitresses), she knew she was
More about Adele Ashworth...

Winter Garden (4 books)
  • Stolen Charms (Winter Garden, #1)
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • A Notorious Proposition (Winter Garden #3)