Start by marking “The Book of Ram” as Want to Read:
The Book of Ram

The Book of Ram

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Published August 5th 2009 by Penguin Global (first published October 21st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Ram, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Ram

Nishant
A very interesting perspective on probably the most revered man in the history of mankind. For me Ramayan was always a grandmother's tale which got a form in Amar Chitra Katha books which finally translated to the over the top but successful Ramayan TV series.

I picked up Ramayan again thanks to Ashok Bankar and suddenly Ram was indeed an interesting and intriguing character for my adult eyes.

The book of Ram has given me even more perspectives to look at him from. All may not agree with Mr Patna...more
Mallika Ahuja
After reading Sita, this book is a quick read!
You won't even realise when you finished reading it!

However, I loved the intro to the book, the most. The way D.Patnaik has said "I wrote this book celebrating the Ram of Common Man, the power of his name, the many retellings of his tale, drawing attention to the several layers of metaphors and meanings in the rituals and narratives, bringing forth my own creative insight, well aware that:
Within infinite myths lies the Eternal Truth
Who sees it all...more
Sasitharani Jagadeshprabu
The Book Is very Small in size to even contain the entire Ramayan But Devudutt Has Managed to Pull up and present the facts incoprated with the episodes of Ram's Life and invoke the intelectual side of our brain..
The beginning of the the book covers entire Ramayana in one go...But then there are episodes throughout the book Along with many unknown Charecters described, that captivates our mind...
There were many questions about the behaviour of Ram with Sita which has always intrigued me..This be...more
Sushumna Kannan
The Book of Ram is a collection of the many relational selves of Rama from Ramayana, chosen and condensed to convey the main stories. Some relatively unknown stories make for a good reading. The early parts of the book are written in simple language, are well-edited and thus appealing. But soon enough, the simplicity reduces and becomes patchy.

Like most other books by the same author, the books contain mythological stories, written in accessible language. What they offer every now and then, are...more
Jaideep

The Book of Ram by Devdutt bose Pattanaik: ~~~Ram~remains~serene~in~ his~majesty~~~

Author: Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik

Publisher: Peguin India

Price: Rs. 250/-

Author, his passions, his career and his versatility: Dr Devdutt Pattanaik (b.1970) is a multi-faceted personality mastering different streams of life. After passing out his MBBS from Grant Medical College, Mumbai, he spent 14 years working in the Pharma and Healthcare companies such as SIRO and Apollo. Afte...more
Devnandan
Meera Sundar
So many interesting interpretations & twists, gathered from #Ramayana retellings across India. Great read!
Vishnuvardhan
An amazing book! Must read for those interested in Indian Mythology
Ravi
Short book of Ramayan
Hema
Beautifully Owen story of Ramayana from Devdutt. He has managed to gather so much information from various Ramayana’s and put it together. The same feature / narration of his is what had made me read Jaya ( Mahabharata). The reference to certain behaviors or decisions taken by the characters are explained in a context that I really appreciated and I could take away some of the learning from it. I really enjoyed reading this wonderful book.
Vinod
A short read of the Ramayana. It is not as detailed as 'Jaya' but worth a read to understand Ramayana.
San Tosh
Explains the thought process of the tale.
Stephane Gauthier
Stephane Gauthier marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Nagina Nagrani
Nagina Nagrani marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Krishna Kishore
Krishna Kishore marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Priya
Priya is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Prajakt Karanjkar
Prajakt Karanjkar marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Bhanu
Bhanu is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2014
Surjeet Kapoor
Surjeet Kapoor marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Shobana
Shobana is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2014
Bmtiwari
Bmtiwari marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Lovey Uppal
Lovey Uppal marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Gunjan Pande
Gunjan Pande marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Osama Gadallah
Osama Gadallah marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
200940
Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik (born December 11, 1970) is an Indian physician turned leadership consultant, mythologist and author whose works focus largely on the areas of myth, mythology, and also management. He has written a number of books related to Hindu mythology, including Myth = Mithya: A Handbook of Hindu Mythology, a novel, The Pregnant King, and Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharat...more
More about Devdutt Pattanaik...
Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata Myth = Mithya A Handbook of Hindu Mythology The Pregnant King Sita An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana 7 Secrets Of Shiva (The 7 Secret Series, #3)

“Destiny and desire, karma and kama, are the two forces that propel the world. Destiny is a reaction, an obligation that follows an action. Desire is an aspiration that forces the world to transform in a particular way. Destiny creates fate. Desire is based on free will. We have the freedom to accept life as it is or to make it the way we want it to be. That is what makes us Manavas or humans.” 2 likes
“the true meaning of kingship—to do what animals cannot do: overpower the law of the jungle, and give the weak an opportunity to thrive.” 0 likes