Start by marking “The Book of Ram” as Want to Read:
The Book of Ram

The Book of Ram

The Book Of Ram is a book with a fresh perspective written by noted author, Devdutt Pattanaik. It which outlines the entire story of the Ramayana taking into consideration various accounts of the great Indian epic, right from the standard Sanskrit Aryan version, to the Dravidian version, all the way up to the Burmese, and the Thailand versions.
Published August 5th 2009 by Penguin Global (first published October 21st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Ram, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Ram

The Immortals of Meluha by Amish TripathiThe Secret of the Nagas by Amish TripathiThe Oath of the Vayuputras by Amish TripathiThe Great War of Hind by Vaibhav AnandMahabharata by C. Rajagopalachari
Indian Mythology
68th out of 160 books — 391 voters
The Great War of Hind by Vaibhav AnandThe Immortals of Meluha by Amish TripathiAsura by Anand NeelakantanThe Secret of the Nagas by Amish TripathiThe Oath of the Vayuputras by Amish Tripathi
Indian Mythology
60th out of 66 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Arun Divakar
Mar 20, 2016 Arun Divakar rated it liked it
It has always been a little difficult for me to comprehend a character like Ram. There is always the point to be considered that he is too good to be true in terms of how he acts in the face of tremendous odds. There are only two instances in the entire Ramayana when Ram breaks out of his otherworldly calm and makes what appears to be errors in judgement when seen from a common man’s POV. The first is when he shoots an arrow to the back of Vali and kills him and the second is his expulsion of hi ...more
Mallika
Oct 08, 2014 Mallika rated it liked it
After reading Sita, this book is a quick read!
You won't even realise when you finished reading it!

However, I loved the intro to the book, the most. The way D.Patnaik has said "I wrote this book celebrating the Ram of Common Man, the power of his name, the many retellings of his tale, drawing attention to the several layers of metaphors and meanings in the rituals and narratives, bringing forth my own creative insight, well aware that:
Within infinite myths lies the Eternal Truth
Who sees it all
Shalini Mohanty
May 19, 2015 Shalini Mohanty rated it it was amazing
Before I begin my review, my Pranam to Devadutt Pattanaik for once again being the medium to the answers I seek in my life. If not directly, at least providing some insight into the topic as my mind is shrouded in the fog of questions, ignorance and even some cynicism. Please accept my gratitude for reaffirming my beliefs in humility, humanity, true sense of dharma, karma and everything I envision my life to be based on. Thank you. So much.

Before having picked up the book, before even knowing ab
Sonam  Puri
Mar 22, 2016 Sonam Puri rated it it was amazing
Love, wisdom and compassion is what Ram stands for. The Ram as a political icon is a misconception. I second the author.
This book took me back to my childhood days when my Badi Ma (Dadi Ma) use tell stories of Ramji.
It is an inspiration for sure and had been told and retold several times with some variations but the essence has been the same and that's make Ram the most upright man ever to level of being called the incarnation of God Himself.
The tale I had never known was that of Sita being M
Jaideep Khanduja
Mar 09, 2013 Jaideep Khanduja rated it really liked it

The Book of Ram by Devdutt bose Pattanaik: ~~~Ram~remains~serene~in~ his~majesty~~~

Author: Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik

Publisher: Peguin India

Price: Rs. 250/-

Author, his passions, his career and his versatility: Dr Devdutt Pattanaik (b.1970) is a multi-faceted personality mastering different streams of life. After passing out his MBBS from Grant Medical College, Mumbai, he spent 14 years working in the Pharma and Healthcare companies such as SIRO and Apollo. Afte
Nithesh Satish
Dec 26, 2015 Nithesh Satish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Devdutt Pattanaik is extremely good in digging out obscure stories and presenting it to the reader at an appropriate juncture and the right format. I also like the way he compares different mythological heroes. He summaries the well known parts of Ramayana , but also makes space for the obscure and less known sources. It is of course well researched as he brings in the perspectives of Ramayana in different interpretations.

But what made me give a 3 star for this book is his penultimate chapter w
Nishant Bhagat
Jul 22, 2014 Nishant Bhagat rated it really liked it
A very interesting perspective on probably the most revered man in the history of mankind. For me Ramayan was always a grandmother's tale which got a form in Amar Chitra Katha books which finally translated to the over the top but successful Ramayan TV series.

I picked up Ramayan again thanks to Ashok Bankar and suddenly Ram was indeed an interesting and intriguing character for my adult eyes.

The book of Ram has given me even more perspectives to look at him from. All may not agree with Mr Patna
Sasitharani Jagadeshprabu
May 17, 2012 Sasitharani Jagadeshprabu rated it really liked it
Shelves: waiting-to-read
The Book Is very Small in size to even contain the entire Ramayan But Devudutt Has Managed to Pull up and present the facts incoprated with the episodes of Ram's Life and invoke the intelectual side of our brain..
The beginning of the the book covers entire Ramayana in one go...But then there are episodes throughout the book Along with many unknown Charecters described, that captivates our mind...
There were many questions about the behaviour of Ram with Sita which has always intrigued me..This be
Sushumna
Jan 23, 2013 Sushumna rated it liked it
The Book of Ram is a collection of the many relational selves of Rama from Ramayana, chosen and condensed to convey the main stories. Some relatively unknown stories make for a good reading. The early parts of the book are written in simple language, are well-edited and thus appealing. But soon enough, the simplicity reduces and becomes patchy.

Like most other books by the same author, the books contain mythological stories, written in accessible language. What they offer every now and then, are
Hetal
May 22, 2016 Hetal rated it it was ok
It is a quick read, great for airline travel. It gives a quick understanding of Ram, the protagonist of the Ramayan, from the several interpretations available across the country. His aspects, as a brother, husband, leader, king are all covered with an interesting angle. I suspect the book loses out a bit on the impact - I am sure the same content, if explained in Hindi, will have had a greater impact.
Rahul
May 02, 2016 Rahul rated it really liked it
This was the first Devdutt book that i had read. And, i was left with nothing but full of appreciation for him. The book takes into account of different forms of Ramayana that were written across India during different times. The book contains sections with cases (stories) and short commentaries. The book also raises some deep questions about dharma and makes you think!

This book is a joyride!
Puneet
Jan 09, 2015 Puneet rated it it was amazing
Gave some insight to Ram yuga..
A nice interpretation of what is Ravan and what is Ram and its left to us to judge how in today's society it's reflected. But it surely gives a good way to judge those things.
A nice surprise is about who is RAM, SITA, RAVAN, Lanka in today's scenario and who they will be in times to come!!

After a long time a read a book based on mythology and i'm happy i read it!!
Sukhamaya Swain
Goes to show why Dr. Patnaik is the supreme beholder of mythology. The amount of research that he has done on a character who is supposed to be famous and popular gives a new totally different perspective to the character. I would say the perspectives that he has shown will inspire serious Philosophy students to take up this subject as a research topic. This is strongly recommended for every believer of any faith.
Sunny
Jul 01, 2015 Sunny rated it liked it
Shelves: my-reads
Another good book penned down by Mr Pattanaik where he gives an analytical approach to the teachings and happenings during the Tretayug.

Its ironic that how some politically ambitious parties portrays the stance of Sri Ram as a fighter and a destroyer of enemies as explained by the author.

A very well written book.
Devnandan
Oct 05, 2012 Devnandan rated it really liked it
Praveen Patil
Dec 28, 2015 Praveen Patil rated it liked it
The Book of Ram is an easy to read book that gives us a glimpse of Rama's world in Ramayana. The author cleverly juxtaposes the events of Rama and his actions with our everyday problems and dilemma. He also suggests us to look for solutions in the mythical world of Rama, all of which makes you look at the scriptures not in the sense of Religion, but in the sense of morality. However, the author fails to analyze the events in Ramayana that uphold the varna system, which led to present day caste s ...more
Kavita
Jan 17, 2015 Kavita rated it liked it
Very nicely written...mostly all of us have read Ramayana so we all know. But the author here tries to analyze the incidents practically..as to what happened,why happened?

The focus ofcourse being more on Ram as to what he did,why he did from the authors point of view..
Amod Mhaskar
Aug 28, 2016 Amod Mhaskar rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of Devdutt Pattanik's writing and his point of Views.
I have read almost all of his books and loved each of them.
This one is not an exception for this rule.

Loved the Summary made on "Ram" the hindutva Icon and how it represents all that he is not.

Worth a read for all the believers and Non Believers..
Kanchan Shine
Jan 26, 2015 Kanchan Shine rated it it was amazing
As you read the Ramayan, you begin to question why certain events occurred or why people reacted / acted the way they did. Through The Book of RAM Devdutt Pattanaik provides answers and reasons that help see the epic in a more clear light.

The book is well written using simple language, making it easy for every person to understand the Ramayan and its teachings.
Vatsala
Jun 19, 2015 Vatsala rated it really liked it
"The Ramayan has never been a tale of Ram's life. Its a tale of how Ram lived for others. By retelling his tale, storytellers hope to inspire themselves and others to live as Ram did"

Who were the others for whom Ram had lived, how he lived and performed his duties to attain the status of a 'Marayada Purushottam" is DP wants us to understand in his short and sweet - BOR.

BOR presents us with 11 facets of Ram - as the hero, as a son, as a student, as a husband, as a brother, as a master, as an enem
A
Mar 21, 2015 A rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book about Lord Ram viewed from many different perspectives. Beautifully and succinctly written. Very engrossing and a quick read.
Meera Sundar
Oct 12, 2014 Meera Sundar rated it really liked it
So many interesting interpretations & twists, gathered from #Ramayana retellings across India. Great read!
Deepu George
Sep 02, 2015 Deepu George rated it really liked it
Just remind me of all the stories of Ram which I've read previously and forgotten . A fast read....
Aditi Banerjee
A very different approach to revere King Rama made it a good read.
Vishnuvardhan
Jul 13, 2014 Vishnuvardhan rated it it was amazing
An amazing book! Must read for those interested in Indian Mythology
Vadiraj
Jul 06, 2015 Vadiraj rated it it was amazing
One of the best interpretation of the epic narration.
Ravi
Mar 20, 2014 Ravi rated it really liked it
Short book of Ramayan
Iknoorkaur
Jan 20, 2016 Iknoorkaur rated it it was amazing
The most unbiased perspective to the Ramayana.
Vijay
Aug 11, 2015 Vijay rated it it was amazing
I love the book! The flow of thoughts... The value of sacrifice! Amazing.. Will read again!
Hema
Aug 13, 2012 Hema rated it it was amazing
Beautifully Owen story of Ramayana from Devdutt. He has managed to gather so much information from various Ramayana’s and put it together. The same feature / narration of his is what had made me read Jaya ( Mahabharata). The reference to certain behaviors or decisions taken by the characters are explained in a context that I really appreciated and I could take away some of the learning from it. I really enjoyed reading this wonderful book.
  • The Mahabharata: A Modern Rendering, Vol. 1
  • Stories Of Krishna
  • The Forest of Stories (Mahabharata, #1)
  • The Secret Teachings of the Vedas
  • The Principal Upanishads
  • Chandragupta - Path of a Fallen Demigod
  • Ramayana
  • The Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth
  • Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta
  • Ganesha Goes to Lunch: Classics From Mystic India
  • The Essentials of Hinduism: A Comprehensive Overview of the World's Oldest Religion
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • Arjuna: Saga of a Pandava Warrior-Prince
  • The Life of Milarepa
  • Amul's India: Based On 50 Years of Amul Advertising
200940
Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik (born December 11, 1970) is an Indian physician turned leadership consultant, mythologist and author whose works focus largely on the areas of myth, mythology, and also management. He has written a number of books related to Hindu mythology, including Myth = Mithya: A Handbook of Hindu Mythology, a novel, The Pregnant King, and Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharat ...more
More about Devdutt Pattanaik...

“Destiny and desire, karma and kama, are the two forces that propel the world. Destiny is a reaction, an obligation that follows an action. Desire is an aspiration that forces the world to transform in a particular way. Destiny creates fate. Desire is based on free will. We have the freedom to accept life as it is or to make it the way we want it to be. That is what makes us Manavas or humans.” 4 likes
“the true meaning of kingship—to do what animals cannot do: overpower the law of the jungle, and give the weak an opportunity to thrive.” 3 likes