Start by marking “The Blooming of a Lotus: Guided Meditation for Achieving the Miracle of Mindfulness” as Want to Read:

One of the world's great meditation teachers offers thirty-four guided exercises that will bring both beginning and experienced practitioners into closer touch with their bodies, their inner selves, their families, and the world. Compassionate and wise, Thich Nhat Hanh's healing words help us acknowledge and dissolve anger and separation by illuminating the way toward the ...more
Paperback, Revised Edition, 137 pages
Published April 1st 2009 by Beacon Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Blooming of a Lotus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blooming of a Lotus

Nick
Oct 05, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is saving my life.
Kevin
Oct 07, 2016 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Thich Nhat Hanh and his brother and sister Vietnamese monks have been an inspiration to me since the 1960's. This is a very focused book with many guided meditations.
Taymara Jagmohan
I have been breathing ever since, but I have never realized the value of one breath. I have never suffocated, so I don't know the value of one breath. However, Thich taught me that a breath means everything, as it teaches you the lesson of every other living and non-living notion. You breathe to promulgate life into a richer creation, and for you not realize such a wonder is indeed uneventful and reproachable.

Too many times we have looked at sad events and pitied. Do we really need to pity the
Mark Robison
Oct 09, 2016 Mark Robison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me 20 years to read. It’s a compilation of guided meditations — thoughts to focus the mind on while meditating. It’s not meant to be read, but tried as part of a meditation practice. For years, I never made it past “Exercise Four” because it’s so profound — I still use it regularly, including today. But now I’ve done them all. What makes the book so useful is that Nhat Hanh explains each line of the meditations so you know their purpose and what they’re trying to evoke. More than ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
The blooming of the lotus and how wonderful it is if I myself become that lotus that blooms. You never see a lotus frowning; it always smiles, so should we also in giving smiles to people every moment we make eye contact with them. It is the lotus smiling hope, penetrating understating and there profound compassionate. How many books can you read by Thich (Thây) and what he has to say on breathing and meditation? personally I think seventy times seven. We were never taught how to breathe or how ...more
Julia
Sep 10, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A super-straightforward guide to meditation that ought to be useful to just about everyone (level 5 monks, maybe not so much). Some of these exercises (I breathe in, being in the present moment; I breathe out, knowing it is a wonderful moment) are lovely and can be done anywhere or anytime. Some others are a little more intense (I breathe in, seeing my grey dead body lying on the bed; I breathe out AAAUUUGGHHHHHHHHHHHH). I like all the "smiling to" that goes on in here and I always feel better a ...more
Lorna
Feb 03, 2017 Lorna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious-life
This has now become my constant companion during meditation.
Megankellie
Sep 04, 2007 Megankellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spazzes
Shelves: holier-than-thou
And by currently reading I mean: Barely Gotten Through 3 Meditations. Still, I like the: I smile at my hair.

This is all due to Eat Pray Love. Also, ODing on meditation books is not taking the middle path. Thank you.
Justin
Mar 06, 2017 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off slow for me, but as I progressed, the book become more and more profound. The affect of impermanence was particularly touching for me.
Cuong
Jan 01, 2017 Cuong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book introduced me into practising mindfulness throughout the day. I can say that it is definitely a solid stepping stone for those who won't to delve more into it. simple topics such as washing dishes and be mindful and present within the moment are often forgotten. really puts things into perspective, whereby being in the present moment, is really everything.
Patricia
Oct 24, 2010 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whether you believe in meditation or not, I think this is the consummate book for anyone searching for peace. A person of any religion can explore meditative practices through this book. I have given a copy to over ten of my friends and acquaintances. The exercises are trans formative to say the least.
Kc
Jul 09, 2013 Kc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a tool book. It helps me ease into meditation during my normal daily activities. It is nice to have specific words to think when my mind is noisy.

This is a favorite:

Breathing in, I see myself as a flower.
Breathing out, I feel fresh.

And there are other more serious meditations useful for breaking through barriers of addition, craving, anger, and other negative thoughts.
Geri Degruy
Nov 17, 2015 Geri Degruy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Thich Nhat Hanh offers a series of guided meditations that take you into important heart and life territory. I'm a meditator but these are different from sitting and breathing. These get into acceptance of ourselves, our pain, our joy, our life and death.
Martina Röll
Aug 17, 2010 Martina Röll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism, love, poetry
Nothing new here: It is a collection of Sutras, teaching texts and poems by Thich Nhat Hanh. However, the selection and composition is beautiful and I enjoyed coming back to familiar, yet always new texts in this way. Recommended.
Bria
May 11, 2011 Bria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welp, I guess I'm a master of mindfulness now.
VJ
May 13, 2012 VJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too repetitive and slow moving for my taste. I like my meditation to be active, so I'll continue knitting mindfully.
Melissa
Great meditations, but it is hard to read them and use them at the same time. An accompanying CD would be a great asset when going through this book.
Mariana
Dec 15, 2012 Mariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book to read and re-read. The exercises are helpful and can lead to great depth.
Amy
Apr 07, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice and easy read... helpful....
Tammy Sadorus
Dec 03, 2007 Tammy Sadorus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who meditate or practice yoga
Beautiful book :) I used excerpts from his meditations for savasana in my yoga classes. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.
Melissa
Sep 29, 2007 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
You may laugh at this book, at its title, what have you; you may take it seriously if you want to meditate. I fell somewhere in the middle, protesting the laughter.
Joan
Jun 17, 2010 Joan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Breathe in, breathe out, precious moment, wonderful moment!
Sheri
Aug 14, 2008 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
awesome book
Irene
Jul 03, 2011 Irene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to read guided meditations and use them ---at least I find it difficult.
Nikki Coffelt
Thich Nhat Hanh is incredible... in my own meditation practice, though, I am starting to veer away from the use of mantras... an inspiring book to pick up every now and then, nonetheless...
Philipp
Jul 24, 2013 Philipp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahh.
Rich
Nov 26, 2016 Rich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book, but not for someone who is just looking into meditation.
Chan Chi Chuen
Chan Chi Chuen rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Grant Macmanus
Grant Macmanus rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
Fdickerson
Fdickerson rated it it was ok
May 18, 2011
  • Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
  • Nine-Headed Dragon River: Zen Journals, 1969-1982
  • In Buddha's Kitchen : Cooking, Being Cooked, and Other Adventures at a Meditation Center
  • The Accidental Buddhist: Mindfulness, Enlightenment, and Sitting Still, American Style
  • The Essential Dalai Lama: His Important Teachings
  • The Little Zen Companion
  • The New Meditation Handbook: Meditations to Make Our Life Happy and Meaningful
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: The Buddha's Way of Mindfulness
  • The Zen Path Through Depression
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...