Start by marking “Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2)” as Want to Read:
Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2)

Thorn Queen (Dark Swan #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  15,033 ratings  ·  680 reviews
Eugenie Markham is a shaman for hire. She's paid
to bind and banish creatures from the
Otherworld.

But something happened after her last battle. She became queen of the Thorn Land. With her kingdom in tatters, her love life in chaos, and eager to avoid the prophecy about her firstborn destroying mankind, the job's really not all it's cracked up to be.

Now young girls are disap
Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Published 2009 by Bantam (first published July 13th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Thorn Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thorn Queen

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
117th out of 2,426 books — 8,979 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareBlood Promise by Richelle MeadHunted by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson Noel
Books for 2009
56th out of 578 books — 2,386 voters

More lists with this book...

Catherine
Felicia
Alisha
Jun 02, 2010 Alisha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of fae-related books, epic/urban fantasy mixes
Shelves: favorites
The Holy Terror
It's always harder for me to review a book that I gave five stars to, and I think it's just easier for me to point out flaws than to pinpoint what makes a book amazing for me. I'll give it a shot though.

Eugenie is struggling with adapting to her new life of being the Thorn Queen while still trying to continue on as a shaman in the human world. She focuses on something in one world while ultimately neglecting something in the other.

When Eugenie became the Thorn Queen she transformed her lands int
Fani

To say that this is better than the first is a gross understatement. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and the ending... god the ending had me completely wrapped up and turned inside out. The heroine however is never going to be a favorite of mine with phrases like "yeah, he made love to you so passionately because he was thinking of me" or "every man would give his right arm to sleep with me", hence the 4 stars instead of 5. I appreciate a little more humility to my heroines I'm afraid. I
Natasha
Thorn Queen is a great second part in the Dark Swan series.
I loved Storm Born and hated that I had to wait a full year to read the next book. But since Mead has 3 amazing series, we get 3 doses of her each year! It's great.
Thorn queen met and went above any exceptions I had. I love the characters and the drama. I liked Eugenie's point of view. She's straightforward, interesting and easy to get attached to even if it's not exactly our type of world she lives in. She has some what of a hard time
AH
I really liked this book. I enjoyed almost every moment. Our heroine Eugenie commutes between the human world working as a shaman and the Otherworld as the Thorn Queen. Eugenie has grown and developed as a character. She genuinely cares about her kingdom and tries to work out ways for her subjects to be able to survive in the new arid lands. When some girls go missing, Eugenie starts to hunt for them. I found it interesting that Eugenie does not tell her stepfather about her new position in the ...more
FlibBityFLooB
Elena
Louise
Yazzie
Jess
Excellent! Same great characters as the first, but more action. I liked this one a bit more than the first one. There was less world building (since that was done in the first) there was more meat to the plot and more going on with the characters.

I think we got to see a bit more about each character and now they are all well developed and have many layers to them. While I want to love Dorian, there is still that bit of ruthlessness in him. And while I really don't like Kiyo, there are some thing
Mel
Maybe it was the big hype created around the book which had me waiting for more things to come, or maybe it was due to the fact that I read this book after reading a lot of PNR books (where intensity and passion on almost every page is a must) which made me not really appreciate Eugenie’s dry tone narrative voice, or maybe it was just me... but it did take me a fair amount of pages to warm up to the book.
After that however I got sucked into an engaging, exciting and at certain times shocking an
Darcy
I really, really liked this book, much better than the first one. This time around what appealed to me most was the reluctance that Eugenie felt about her lands. I liked that she didn't want to just jump in and be all queenie. Her popping between worlds had to make her life much more difficult, but made her seem more real.

I also get the jealousy she had with Kiyo and Maiween. Even if there is no longer any true love there, they will always be bound together through their child. What makes matter
The Flooze
First it's an obligation to attend a baby shower. Then it's seeing the devastation her desert-climate changes have wrought upon the land and the people. Then, to top it all off, gentry girls are disappearing from her lands. Even though Eugenie never wanted to be a Faerie Queen, her better nature won't let her ignore her duties for long.

In this fast-paced follow-up to Storm Born, Eugenie becomes further tied to her lands and her people, exploring what kind of monarch she wants to be. It's wonder
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Thorn Queen was the first urban fantasy book that I've picked up. Knowing it was written by Richelle Mead, I already expected it to be good. I loved the Vampire Academy series and I knew that Richelle's writing ability meant that I'd have no problem catching up from the first novel, Storm Born.

This book was so good, I can't even explain it. I loved the action and the amazing plot lines. I think my favourite part was the love triangle between Dorian and Kiyo. Eugenie made the right decision in m
Kenya Wright
This is another book I read to 50% and put it down for Four Reasons.

ONE- I found Eugenie to be boring and unlikeable. She's so freakin boring... And truthfully I think Richelle Mead has that problem with both of her adult series... The main chicks are boring and so unacepting of their dilemas... COME ON MEAD give me something new!!

TWO-I think Kiyo is goodlooking but not a great boyfriend. He could have died and I wouldnt have shed a tear.

THREE- I love Dorian, but really he should have hisown boo
Marsha
This was my second book written by Richelle Mead. I enjoyed the second installment of the Dark Swan but I must say I am so confused and concerned by the overwhelming number of novels on the shelf right now written by female authors that use rape as the element of the plot. Yes, I am aware that rape occurs but most of these books treat it lightly and do not deal with the aftermath and the healing necessary to restore the characters. Because of this I had to lower my rating of the book. I would th ...more
Rhonda
This is the second book in the Dark Swan series by Michelle Mead. I thought the story was wonderful. If you've read the Vampire Academy series and liked it, you'll like this too. Lots of colorful characters, and a interresting fantasy story. 2 Hawtguys, and STEAMY!!!! I just lOVE Dorian!! Kiyo is great as well, but I like Dorian Best!!
Jamie
I don't know if I'll fully review this book, being Christmas and all, but I liked Eugenie a bit better in this one, and I still adore Dorian. As my friend Samina said, I can't see how Eugenie can even like Fox face at this point!
marlene
i buzzed through this book without putting it down once. it was as addicting as that mocha cappuccino that i mainline.

i was thrilled to see Eugene stepping into her role as queen. Her land and her people were suffering and without her claiming her magic and helping them they would have had devastating consequences. even more thrilling was Kiyo. i honestly always thought he would end up showing that he was doing something shifty. spying for other kingdom maybe? or trying to be king himself. i gu
Cathy
This book started off slow, but picked up speed after it finally finished the recaps and scene setting. After that I'd categorize it as more of an paranormal romance/action adventure than Mead's other books, which are more urban or modern.

Eugenie is trying to juggle her lives in both worlds and to deal with her role as Queen and the major responsibilities that come with that. Or that can come with that, that's the central question: what role will she choose to play as Thorn Queen? Is she respon
MISS VAIN
Mar 24, 2011 MISS VAIN rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to MISS VAIN by: Cat Russel Falls From Grace
This book was even better than the first! But why am I still reading about Kiyo? Grr, and why is Eugenie at a baby shower?! In the last book I went from disliking and possibly not trusting him to in this book questioning his motives as well as his empathy and just basically not liking him at all. In regards to Eugenie he's selfish, and doesn't support her like a Bf should. She on the other hand is broadening her horizons and embracing her potential to succeed while h's the voice of doom basicall ...more
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Bec
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Re-reading series in preparation of final book release. Apparently I didn't review this the first time reading, other than to say I liked it better than the book before. Maybe I'll do a review this time around.

*edit* December 2011. Nah, I'll just skip the review. You all know me by now, I'll read anything Richelle Mead writes. Even when her characters frustrate me and the scenarios piss me off, I still keep reading because she's a great storycrafter and character creator.

This is my least favorit
Shanon
WOW! Just WOW! I think I'm in love with a new series. I really must stop adding to my growing list of favorites but when they are as great as this one it's too hard not to add them.

This is only the second book in the Dark Swan series and already I feel very completely attached to the main character, Eugenie, and everything that is going on in her life/lives. She is straddling two different worlds and attempting to balance the roles and responsibilities in each. This installment was a rollercoas
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
This Book was def better than the first one. There was alot more about eugenines relationships in this one and alot more action. It was simply more captivating.
It was disturbing when eugeine was raped by that scum leith but am still in to minds about her breaking up with kiyo and running to Dorian becuase he wouldn't let her take revenge. Kiyo did give me the shits a little with his all goodie two shoe act but I honestly think he was trying to look out for her and did truly love her but him hav
Leea
3.5 stars...

A lot takes place in Thorn Queen from the beginning I just had this feeling that Kiyo was hiding something. We don't have that answer in this book but it's just something that keeps popping up in while i'm reading this book. To the end where we are left with a Eugenie that has a lot more power. The questions is what will she do with it.

Mead seems to have this formula, our heroin falls in love with two men. One is right for her the other is just so delicious she can't see straight. Sh
Nichole (Dirty H)
This series is really starting to straddle the line between urban fantasy and just straight fantasy, so I shelved it as both. But I love it - I love the epic feel of it and the way the scope is broadening. There are no bad characters in this series - everyone is engaging and well drawn, and the plot is unpredictable and never boring. Very little black and white, tons and tons of gray.... pretty much a perfect UF series and now I have to wait forever for book 3. What am I going to do?
Team Dorian or Team Kiyo 37 221 Sep 09, 2014 08:41AM
Paranormal & ...: (Oct'11) Let's talk a about it! 8 32 Oct 26, 2011 05:29AM
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Alpha (Shifters, #6)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)
  • The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • Eternal Lover (Hell on Earth, #2.5; Georgina Kincaid, #2.5)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f
More about Richelle Mead...
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)

“Dorian used to watch you like a starving man who wants meat. Now he looks at you like he wants seconds.” 145 likes
“The only way to lose a kingdom is if your power drops or..well, if you're killed."
"I'm sure Volusian would love to help with that."
My minion walked near me, needing no horse to move swiftly. Upon hearing his name, he said, "I would perform the deed with great relish and much suffering on your part, mistress."
"You can't put a price on that kind of loyalty," I told Kiyo.”
65 likes