Start by marking “Writing Therapy” as Want to Read:
Writing Therapy

Writing Therapy

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Can you 'write' yourself well? And if you don't like the story life has written, can you change it? Is is possible to re-write your past and invent for yourself a better future?

Described as 'a self-help book for writers cunningly disguised as an innocent novel', Writing Therapy explores themes of creativity, mental illness, therapy and recovery.

'Tell all the truth, but t
Paperback, second, 269 pages
Published November 18th 2010 by Dotterel Press (first published November 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Therapy

D.J.
This was a book that went everywhere with me during the time I spent reading it. It is one of the most unique books I have ever read. Once I'd finished reading it I felt a certain smugness, as if I alone had discovered a rare jewel.

The narrator is a young woman who leads the reader on a raw excursion into a joust with madness. Writing is used as a most valuable tool in amongst a battery of less useful therapies. Be warned, this book is not an easy read, it is not junk food for the brain and it d
Trish
On the surface, Writing Therapy wouldn't be the type of novel I would be particularly drawn to as I have become lazy with my reading choices of late, preferring to pick a book from the bestseller lists so that I have the nod of the masses to narrow my search. This book looked as if it might be hard work. On the back cover it states:

"Can you 'write' yourself well? And if you don't like the story life has written for you, can you really change it? Is it possible to re-write the past?"

It didn't sou
Lisa
Read this for the YoungMinds book awards and i can safely say it won my award for 'being the most bloody awful. Very fragmented story, no clear idea of what was real and what was imagined, no clear timeline so you got no sense of the protagonist's journey, or where she was in it. Would have needed to read this a few times to grasp anything, but really couldn't face it!!
Vicky Williams
Vicky Williams marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
John Doe
John Doe marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Kathy Chappelle
Kathy Chappelle marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Grace Sanchez
Grace Sanchez marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Phillip Thurlby
Phillip Thurlby marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Dina Trisnawari
Dina Trisnawari marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Totem
Totem marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2012
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2012
Jax
Jax added it
Dec 14, 2013
Klasina
Klasina marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2012
Deann
Deann marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2011
Merenwen
Merenwen marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2011
Ticia
Ticia marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2010
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2010
Marsha Moore
Marsha Moore marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2009
Tim Atkinson
Jan 27, 2009 Tim Atkinson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Liam P Firth
Liam P Firth marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2008
A former schoolteacher, Tim Atkinson is now a full-time author working on educational titles for Wayland. His first novel, Writing Therapy, was published in the UK in December 2008 and has been received favourably. Scott Pack (formerly Waterstone's Head Buyer) gave it a three-star rating on his review site, and Denyse Kirkby (author of the memoir, From Zaftig to Aspie) called it 'the mandala of bo ...more
More about Tim Atkinson...
Tiny Acorns Discover the United Kingdom Discover India India. Tim Atkinson The United Kingdom. Tim Atkinson