Start by marking “Writing Therapy” as Want to Read:
Writing Therapy

Writing Therapy

Can you 'write' yourself well? And if you don't like the story life has written, can you change it? Is is possible to re-write your past and invent for yourself a better future?

Described as 'a self-help book for writers cunningly disguised as an innocent novel', Writing Therapy explores themes of creativity, mental illness, therapy and recovery.

'Tell all the truth, but t
Paperback, second, 269 pages
Published November 18th 2010 by Dotterel Press (first published November 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Therapy

Trish
Apr 16, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it
On the surface, Writing Therapy wouldn't be the type of novel I would be particularly drawn to as I have become lazy with my reading choices of late, preferring to pick a book from the bestseller lists so that I have the nod of the masses to narrow my search. This book looked as if it might be hard work. On the back cover it states:

"Can you 'write' yourself well? And if you don't like the story life has written for you, can you really change it? Is it possible to re-write the past?"

It didn't sou
D.J.
Jan 29, 2009 D.J. rated it it was amazing
This was a book that went everywhere with me during the time I spent reading it. It is one of the most unique books I have ever read. Once I'd finished reading it I felt a certain smugness, as if I alone had discovered a rare jewel.

The narrator is a young woman who leads the reader on a raw excursion into a joust with madness. Writing is used as a most valuable tool in amongst a battery of less useful therapies. Be warned, this book is not an easy read, it is not junk food for the brain and it d
Lisa
Read this for the YoungMinds book awards and i can safely say it won my award for 'being the most bloody awful. Very fragmented story, no clear idea of what was real and what was imagined, no clear timeline so you got no sense of the protagonist's journey, or where she was in it. Would have needed to read this a few times to grasp anything, but really couldn't face it!!
Melanie Trevelyan
Melanie Trevelyan rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2016
Rick F.
Rick F. rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2010
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Tizzy Brown
Tizzy Brown rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Abby Helstrip
Abby Helstrip rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2014
Tim Atkinson
Jan 27, 2009 Tim Atkinson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Theresa
Theresa rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Marsha Moore
Marsha Moore marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2009
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2010
Ticia
Ticia marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2010
Merenwen
Merenwen marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2011
Deann
Deann marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2011
Jax
Jax added it
Jun 11, 2012
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2012
Totem
Totem marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2012
Dina Trisnawari
Dina Trisnawari marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Phillip Thurlby
Phillip Thurlby marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Grace Sanchez
Grace Sanchez marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Kathy Chappelle
Kathy Chappelle marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
John Doe
John Doe marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Vicky Williams
Vicky Williams marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Irene Thielen
Irene Thielen marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Safa'a atheer
Safa'a atheer marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2017
Cass Cav
Cass Cav marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2017
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2017
Ngoc Le
Ngoc Le marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2017
Franciekat
Franciekat marked it as to-read
May 02, 2017
A former schoolteacher, Tim Atkinson is now a full-time author. His first novel, Writing Therapy, was published in the UK in December 2008. Described variously as 'an effective 'how to' book cleverly disguised as an innocent novel'; 'a beautifully-angled novel about growing up and breaking down' and ' A pleasure to read... it flows from the page', Writing Therapy was nominated for the Young Minds ...more
More about Tim Atkinson...