Start by marking “Off to Kindergarten” as Want to Read:
Off to Kindergarten

Off to Kindergarten

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"I'm off to kindergarten now.

I'd better take my bear.

He likes to sit beside me so

I'll take a little chair. . . ."

So begins the long list of things Bill absolutely needs for his first day of school. Along with his pillow and some cookies, he also plans on bringing his sandbox, some digging moles, and a moving truck!

A touching story of first-day jitters and hopes, Ton
paperback
Published 2007 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Off to Kindergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off to Kindergarten

Sherry Thornberry
This book captures all of the excitement about a child's first day of kindergarten. It truly captures the feel of not knowing what to expect but being excited anyhow. The boy in this story wants to take everything he owns to school just like all three of my kids wanted to do. I liked this book.
Hannah Smith-madeya
This is an adorable book about a young child who wants to take all his things with him to kindergarten. This could be a cute book to read to kids on their first day of kindergarten to help ease their worries. I don't believe I will be teaching kindergarteners, but if I did, this would be a cute book to read.
Susan
This a colorful brightly illustrated book about a boy thinking about what all he needs to take to school with him. The rhymes get a little cumbersome in places making it difficult to keep rhythm. I would use this to talk about expectations.
Eva Kelly
I liked this one. He wanted to take all of his things to kindergarten but he didn't need them. He must not have gone to daycare though, because if he did, he'd know that they already have all those things there!!! But his mama set him straight.
Brendan Howard
The experience and lesson is good, but some of the rhyming words would be clearly out of the vocabulary for listeners...and they're not elegant, like a Carroll or Silverstein.
Cheyenne
This book was about a little boy who gathered all the things he'd need for going to Kindergarten, which ended up being everything but the kitchen sink.
Jen
Our oldest son received this book as a gift from his 4K teacher yesterday at his graduation ceremony. Cute book about how a little boy wants to take everything he has from home to school with him on the first day of kindergarten, but then he realizes after talking to his mom that the only thing he needs to take is himself. Rhyming book that our son really enjoyed.
Randie
My son starts Kindergarten tomorrow, so we read this book to ease worries and increase excitement for the big day!

A boy wants to bring everything with him to Kindergarten just in case it's not there. But his mom reassured him that his teacher will have paint, toys, books, snacks, etc. Watercolor illustrations are simple and child-like, perfect for Kindergarteners.
I thought it was cute how the little boy in this book wanted to take everything to kindergarten with him, but it was disappointing that he never actually got to school in the book. I didn't think that it was very helpful in preparing a five year old for what to expect. Plus, some of the rhymes were forced or non-existent.
Rebecca Dean
This is a cute book to read to kindergarten or in some cases first graders. This is good for the first day of school or within the first month. This book provides some humor the younger students will understand and it will relieve some stress if they are still worried about kindergarten or school in general.
Jamie Haddox
my son was given this book by his kindergarten teacher, and I really wish I didn't have to read it. the rhymes are forced, the meter is off, and it's narrated by a kindergartner who uses the word "cavort." I dislike it completely. there are better books about kindergarten out there.
Jenilyn Willis
This was kind of a silly story. I think children in school would find it funny. It would be good to read to children and ask them what kinds of things they wanted to bring to school on their very first day of kindergarten. I also appreciated the rhyming.
Cornelius
For kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom on the first day of school because the young children will be able to relate to the character in the book as he grabs multiple items that he thinks he will need for school.
Anne
A boy is excited to go off to Kindergarten and thinks he needs to bring several of his things with him.
I love the rhyming with some silly humor thrown in.
This is a great book for all those kids off to Kindergarten.
Alisha Hall
I read this to my 4 year old. She was kind of interested. She liked the pictures a lot and thought the boy was pretty silly to want to bring so many things to school.
Paula
A young boy lists all the things he will have to take with him on his first day in kindergarten.
Aliza
Cute book for getting ready for Kindergarten (or any first experience of school).
Partridge Public
Johnston, Tony K-1st
Renae Hukill
Renae Hukill marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Small Wonders
Small Wonders marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
I Love
I Love marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Tanya
Tanya added it
Dec 31, 2014
Lea Anne
Lea Anne marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Lizzie
Lizzie added it
Oct 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tony Johnston has written many acclaimed books for young people. She and her husband lived in Mexico for fifteen years, where they raised their children. She now lives in San Marino, California.
More about Tony Johnston...
The Quilt Story Any Small Goodness: A Novel of the Barrio Bone by Bone by Bone 10 Fat Turkeys Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella