Start by marking “Off to Kindergarten” as Want to Read:
Off to Kindergarten

Off to Kindergarten

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
"I'm off to kindergarten now.

I'd better take my bear.

He likes to sit beside me so

I'll take a little chair. . . ."

So begins the long list of things Bill absolutely needs for his first day of school. Along with his pillow and some cookies, he also plans on bringing his sandbox, some digging moles, and a moving truck!

A touching story of first-day jitters and hopes, Ton
paperback
Published 2007 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Off to Kindergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off to Kindergarten

Sherry Thornberry
This book captures all of the excitement about a child's first day of kindergarten. It truly captures the feel of not knowing what to expect but being excited anyhow. The boy in this story wants to take everything he owns to school just like all three of my kids wanted to do. I liked this book.
Susan
This a colorful brightly illustrated book about a boy thinking about what all he needs to take to school with him. The rhymes get a little cumbersome in places making it difficult to keep rhythm. I would use this to talk about expectations.
Eva Kelly
I liked this one. He wanted to take all of his things to kindergarten but he didn't need them. He must not have gone to daycare though, because if he did, he'd know that they already have all those things there!!! But his mama set him straight.
Brendan Howard
The experience and lesson is good, but some of the rhyming words would be clearly out of the vocabulary for listeners...and they're not elegant, like a Carroll or Silverstein.
Bethany
Sep 06, 2015 Bethany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-little-one
This is a very cute little reminder that kiddos do not need to be worried transitioning to Kindergarten
Cheyenne
This book was about a little boy who gathered all the things he'd need for going to Kindergarten, which ended up being everything but the kitchen sink.
Aphie
Nice bouncy rhyming story about awesome kindy things.
Jen
Jun 02, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our oldest son received this book as a gift from his 4K teacher yesterday at his graduation ceremony. Cute book about how a little boy wants to take everything he has from home to school with him on the first day of kindergarten, but then he realizes after talking to his mom that the only thing he needs to take is himself. Rhyming book that our son really enjoyed.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
My son starts Kindergarten tomorrow, so we read this book to ease worries and increase excitement for the big day!

A boy wants to bring everything with him to Kindergarten just in case it's not there. But his mom reassured him that his teacher will have paint, toys, books, snacks, etc. Watercolor illustrations are simple and child-like, perfect for Kindergarteners.
Aug 27, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I thought it was cute how the little boy in this book wanted to take everything to kindergarten with him, but it was disappointing that he never actually got to school in the book. I didn't think that it was very helpful in preparing a five year old for what to expect. Plus, some of the rhymes were forced or non-existent.
Rebecca Dean
This is a cute book to read to kindergarten or in some cases first graders. This is good for the first day of school or within the first month. This book provides some humor the younger students will understand and it will relieve some stress if they are still worried about kindergarten or school in general.
Jamie Haddox
Sep 09, 2013 Jamie Haddox rated it did not like it
my son was given this book by his kindergarten teacher, and I really wish I didn't have to read it. the rhymes are forced, the meter is off, and it's narrated by a kindergartner who uses the word "cavort." I dislike it completely. there are better books about kindergarten out there.
Jenilyn Willis
This was kind of a silly story. I think children in school would find it funny. It would be good to read to children and ask them what kinds of things they wanted to bring to school on their very first day of kindergarten. I also appreciated the rhyming.
Cornelius
Dec 05, 2010 Cornelius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom on the first day of school because the young children will be able to relate to the character in the book as he grabs multiple items that he thinks he will need for school.
Anne
Oct 15, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A boy is excited to go off to Kindergarten and thinks he needs to bring several of his things with him.
I love the rhyming with some silly humor thrown in.
This is a great book for all those kids off to Kindergarten.
Alisha Hall
I read this to my 4 year old. She was kind of interested. She liked the pictures a lot and thought the boy was pretty silly to want to bring so many things to school.
Paula
A young boy lists all the things he will have to take with him on his first day in kindergarten.
Ali
Cute book for getting ready for Kindergarten (or any first experience of school).
Partridge Public
Johnston, Tony K-1st
Ruthie Koliste
Ruthie Koliste rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Kayla
Kayla added it
Jul 11, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Charlotte Storey
Charlotte Storey is currently reading it
May 29, 2016
Rida Desai
Rida Desai marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Anya
Anya marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Tony Johnston has written many acclaimed books for young people. She and her husband lived in Mexico for fifteen years, where they raised their children. She now lives in San Marino, California.
More about Tony Johnston...