Hulk, Vol. 2: Red and Green

Hulk, Vol. 2: Red and Green (Hulk (II) #2)

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When Bruce Banner sets out to find the Red Hulk he doesn't expect his search will lead him to Sin City, Nevada. And imagine his surprise when he arrives to discover the unbridled carnage a pack of Wendigos can unleash! Las Vegas buffets will never be the same! Plus: no matter what size, shape, color, or sex, Hulks don't take kindly to being on the wrong side of a beating....more
Published April 29th 2009 by Marvel Comics Group

Nicolo Yu
In the middle of his run of the Hulk relaunch in 2008, Jeph Loeb collaborated with three of the comics industry’s best artists, Ed McGuinness. Art Adams and Frank Cho. Though immensely talented, this trio has had troubles meeting deadlines and the title’s monthly schedule dictated that an artist must be able to produce pages regularly in order for the book to ship on time.

I believed that Loeb and his editor managed to create a novel solution. McGuinness would be the regular artist, since of the...more
Jon M
The Hulk is back, and this time he has a whole army of Wendigos to beat up! You're either thinking, "Wendigos! O! this'll be a fight worth seeing!" or "What in the name of Galactus is a Wendigo?"

Well, a Wendigo is a very hideous, very creepy, very dangerous monster-human thing that is born from canibals. The Wendigos start their attack after Red Hulk shoots one in the wild and eats it. All of the Wendigos leave and head for Las Vegas, where Bruce Banner is doing his research.

Hulk starts beating...more
Holden Attradies
I was hesitant to continue this series after the first volume was so disappointing, but I could see the potential there so I gave it a shot. I will say this was an improvement, but it was still a mess. It was, how ever, enough of an improvement to make me want to continue the series.

So what were the good parts? Well, the art was much better. I am a HUGE sucker for female superheroes so I enjoys the lady liberators story (even though it was probably my favorite AND my most hated part). The suppor...more
Malia
The artwork was great but I've read better dialogue. And having a chapter where Red Hulk drop kicks half the women in the Marvel lineup without breaking a sweat (mainly, I'm guessing, because the author and artist wanted to really zoom in on the women's brick house figures) was just dumb. I read a comic devoted to Storm kicking the collected ***es of Black Panther, Cyclops and The Shadow King last week only to be treated to her getting stomped by big red this week? And in this fic she had hella...more
Martin
This book is a mixed bag and is divided into three separate stories. Each should be reviewed individually:

(1) Bruce Banner is in Las Vegas and fights a bunch of Wendigos in a Casino. Guest-starring Ms.Marvel, Sentry, and Moon Knight. No real progress is made in finding out the Red Hulk's identity and the mystery surrounding it. Hmmm... let's round this one up to 3 stars.

** Of note in this story: Hulk temporarily gets infected by the Wendigos and becomes (wait for it...) WendiHulk! (eye roll) Te...more
Lloyd
This second volume of writer Jeph Loeb's run on the Hulk is much like the first. Plenty of good, fun action. Banner changing into the Hulk (both gray and green in this one!) when he gets angry. Plenty of guest stars to both aid and mix it up with the Hulk. But nothing to really further the intrigue of this new Red Hulk that we were introduced to last volume other than we still don't know who he is.

Much like in the first volume, it was the art that saved this one for me. I love the styles of both...more
Patrick Caldwell
The writing by Loeb wasn't so great, but the first half of the compilation featuring Art Adams as the penciler makes it worth a look. It was fun to see Vegas overrun with a horde of Wendigos and a brief appearance by the Hulk's "Joe Fixit" persona.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Hulk #7-9 and King-Size #1. The Hulk goes to Vegas and battles Sentry, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, and Wendigos while the Red Hulk battles the Lady Liberators. The writing on Hulk is bad, but this collection and the decision of the writers to jump around (splitting up issues and meshing the King-Size which was short stories) was a bad one. The characterizations are really off-base and wasted, and the stories are too short to get into them. If there was a mystery about who the Red Hulk is,...more
M
Writer Jeph Loeb - no stranger to comic book conspiracy - injects some red into the green world of Bruce Banner. The vicious, powerful, and intelligent Red Hulk is making waves in the Marvel Universe, and leaving a massive wake of destruction behind him. Banner will be forced to confront a foe who killed Abomination, defeated Thor, and even punched Uatu the Watcher in the face - get ready to rumble!
Patrick Williams
I picked this up to try to get some sort of background as to what has been happening with Hulk and get a little bit of understanding towards the whole red hulk thing. Not sure this was the best place to start. Will fill this out further once I finish. Meh, it was a pretty book... But it is not the place to start if you are looking for a starting place to get to where the hulk(s) are now.
Jeff
Loeb's writing of the Hulk doesn't tray far from his formula, and if you are a fan of fighting and smashing this won't disappoint. But that's about all you'll get from the plot. Also, seriously? A bar on top of Abe's head on Mount Rushmore?

The real saving grace here is the art. Arthur Adams and Frank Cho are two of the best artists in the genre, and their work here is phenomenal.
Anne
The edition I have collects Hulk #1-9, King Size Hulk #1, and the backup story from wolverine #50.
This is a pretty good story, and I really loved the art. My only complaint would be that it felt like the plot didn't advance as much as I would have liked it to, especially for such a large volume. However, it was a pretty easy read, so I can't complain too much.
M
In the second volume of the Red vs. Green tale, Bruce Banner actually gets the chance to mix it up with his new counterpart. As the twin Hulks slug it out (even giving the Watcher pause), the Marvel Universe begins to notice that a new threat has made its presence know - seeking to replace green with red!
Shannon Appelcline
Semi-comprehensible writing. I think part of the problem was that these stories got cut and pasted together from multiple issues, but I still don't know what Banner was doing out of his cage. And beyond that: big, stupid fights. Loeb's really lost it if this is his idea of good writing.
Caleb
Don't read this; it's awful. Look at the pictures if you must, but for God's sake don't read it.

More:
J.
I really have nothing good to say about this volume. This is a pretty typical example of everything that can go wrong in a superhero comic. Reads like it was written in about 1975.
Jon Holt
I gave 2 stars to the first vol. of Red Hulk; 3 here? Not because the writing improved, but because of Cho's and Adams' artwork that helped redeemed the short, pointless storylines.
Raph
Nov 29, 2010 Raph rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Didn't really like this one. Stories ain't really interesting, drawings not at the best either, and it really seems as it was written to fill a blank.
Charles
The Ed McGuinness art was about the only thing going for this book. Poor pacing, no character development this story was sort of all over.
Mike
I give it four stars for the art. Art Adams is incredible! Frank Cho and Herb Trempe are not too shabby, either.
Nicolas
'm not really sure what happened with this volume. The story didn't really progress. I hope it picks up in volume 3!
c wylie misselhorn
It was pretty good. Does he have to say "I am Bruce Banner. I am the Hulk." 12 times a day by contract?
Juline
Pas mal mais si j'avais lu le volume 1 avant ça aurait sans doute été mieuc...
Derrick Mcdonald
Should have given the Grey Hulk more pages to look funny on.
Tom Fuchs
Slightly less stupid, but still pretty fucking stupid.
Matthew
Just as good as the first volume. NICE!
Miik
  • Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Book 1 - Electro & Sandman
  • Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Vol. 2
  • World War Hulk
  • Justice Society of America, Vol. 4: Thy Kingdom Come, Vol. 3
Joseph "Jeph" Loeb III is an Emmy and WGA nominated American film and television writer, producer and award-winning comic book writer. Loeb was a Co-Executive Producer on the NBC hit show Heroes, and formerly a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost.

A four-time Eisner Award winner and five-time Wizard Fan Awards winner (see below), Loeb's comic book career includes work on many major...more
More about Jeph Loeb...
Batman: The Long Halloween Batman: Dark Victory Batman: Hush Batman: Hush, Vol. 2 Superman for All Seasons