The Magical Worlds of Narnia

The Magical Worlds of Narnia

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  22 reviews
After revealing the inspirations behind Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings, David Colbert takes a tour of C.S. Lewis's Narnia-from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to The Last Battle-in this indispensable guide to the origins of the classic book
Published November 1st 2005 by Berkley Trade

Katherine
After having just read Aslan's Call: Finding Our Way to Narnia by Mark Eddy Smith, this book at first blush seemed redundant. But where Smith focused solely on the Christian applications and allusions of Narnia, Colbert started with the premise that Narnia is not nearly as Christian as people seem to assume. I found this book to be more comprehensive, and while Colbert backs up his assertion that the basis for many elements of Narnia are not Christian tradition but various myths, legends, and co...more
Anne Hamilton
Four and a half stars.

I really enjoyed this book because it wasn't trying to be too scholarly and it roamed over a lot of territory other writers on Lewis have bypassed.

Here's some sections I particularly liked:

In speaking of the Deplorable Word with which Jadis destroyed Charn, Colbert says:

In many religions that taboo is a prohibition against speaking the name of certain gods. 'Gods must keep their true name secret,' wrote anthropologist Sir James George Frazer in The Golden Bough, 'lest othe...more
Loyd
This book got me madder the more I read it. It sells itself as a "fact book" about the Narnia series, but this book's sole purpose seems to be to tear down its subject. And to make a buck.

Most of the book's quotes about C.S. Lewis come from Philip Pullman (an atheist who openly hates Lewis) and A.N. Wilson, the author of a wildly inaccurate and fairly controversial biography of Lewis. Tucked away at the conclusion of The Magical Worlds of Narnia is a chapter calling Lewis a racist and a sexist,...more
Fijriandini VS
Awalnya beli buku ini gara-gara lagi maniak banget sama Novel The Chronicles of Narnia. Isinya buku ini juga hanya referensi tokoh-tokoh dan makhluk gaib yang ada di Serial The Chronicles of Narnia. Cukup membantu untuk anda yang ingin mendalami Serial Negeri Ajaib tersebut.
Gazette
menurutku, buku ini lebih cocok dibaca para peneliti sastra atau fans berat narnia yang pengin tau banget tentang pengarangnya (yang menurut beberapa peneliti cenderung seksis dan rasis)

aku bukan keduanya, aku cuma penggemar buku fiksi yang kebetulan penasaran dengan pemikiran CS Lewis pas bikin ending seri narnia. disitu digambarkan tentang sebuah dunia selain dunia kita tapi sama dengan dunia kita. Nah, di buku David Colbert inilah dijelasin kalo Lewis mengadopsi pemikiran Plato bahwa dunia ya...more
Tiffany
Unlike some other reviewers, I really enjoyed this book. Yes, it's not dense (medium-sized print, wide margins, some illustrations), but it's a nice reference for and companion to the Narnia series. The book discusses some of C.S. Lewis' inspirations for Narnia, from the overall religious aspects to individual scenes or characters. Also, the book relates various historical myths and symbols that are present in the Narnia books. And yes, there is a chapter at the end about Lewis' racism and sexis...more
Sondren
Very good and informative book, would definitely recommend it to any Narnia fan.
Larashi
segala kisah dan sejarah paradigma Lewis dalam membangun Narnia di sini. kumpulan mitos hingga rincian kebencian Lewis terhadap Kristen dan agama lain dibahas jelas di sini. idenya ga orisinil bgt. Lewis byk nyomot ide Tolkin plus mitologi Norwegia yang digemarinya ditambah deskripsi tokoh dan kisah dari Injil.

yang bikin seru pas tau semua aspek Narnia merupakan adonan menarik dari semua mitologi. agak membosankan si karena isinya fakta2 dan referensi buku.
Debi
I didn't expect much when I opened this book. The large print and simple illustrations make it look like a teen book. But I was surprised. Although there are a few errors in the mythological references, this is an interesting look at the thinking behind the C.S. Lewis chronicles. It's a very fast read...I finished it in a couple of hours...but there was enough there to make me go looking for cheap copies of Colbert's other "Magical Worlds..." books.
Permies.world
While interesting in some respects, the author's evident dislike of Lewis left me cold. A good author allows their reader to form their own conclusions and a skillful author leads the reader so well, that they don't know they are being led.

This author is neither. Prejudices intrude upon facts far too often taking the mind of the reader out of the book and on to the author.

The subject was interesting. The delivery, not so much.
Sagar Jethani
A very insightful, eminently readable memoir about the Narnia tales. David Colbert applies a judicious mixture of admiration and criticism in this volume, providing excellent references from mythology and Lewis' own life along the way. Of particular value is the afterword, "Why Would Anyone Hate Narnia?", in which Colbert delivers an unblinking assessment of the many prejudices and bigotries of C.S. Lewis.
Child960801
I was reading this book at the same time as the one he wrote about Harry Potter and I couldn't help noticing how he seemed rather harsh on C. S. Lewis at times, both with regard to the content of the of books and Lewis in general as a person. I noticed how this was very different from the way he was writing in the book about Harry Potter, which I think seemed more objective.
Andrew
Aug 01, 2011 Andrew added it
I found this a really interesting read. I've always been fascinated by mythology and religion, and to see so many of Lewis' inspirations baldly layed out was great. I was also intrigued by some of the information about the writing process Lewis and Tolkien went through and the sharing of ideas they engaged in. It makes me curious to learn more about them as people.
Alice
While there were some interesting insights and facts in this book on Narnia, for the most part I found it to be lacking. Colbert didn't convey to me a great love of Narnia at all, but merely a vague interest. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone except as an after the reading companion...to be taken with a grain of salt.
Maia
It was interesting to read about CS Lewis's life and source materials, but what I found most compelling was the afterward: Why would anyone hate Narnia? I was a fan growing up, but after reading about the disturbing anti-women and racist aspects of the books, I've decided not to read them to my kids. Bummer.
Meadow
A lot of reasearch clearly went into this book. It is very indepth as to what Lewis though as he wrote each book. I was very impressed with all the Myths, Stories, and Legends behind his writing.
I didn't agree with all the authors opinions.
Kathryn
This book was fairly interested and entertaining, but was a bit stretched out and watered down. Also, it was slightly bias towards a Lewis skeptic's point of view, dispite the author trying to remain impartial.
Alex Seals
Interesting trivia and background information about Narnia. It's not a page-turner, but it is worth it to see where Lewis got some of his material and to see behind the scenes of Narnia.
Kiersten
Largely interesting and informative, but a quick read that's not spectacular if you're looking for something really in-depth. I could take it or leave it.
htanzil
Kalau pingin tau lebih banyak tentang dunia Narnia sepertinya buku ini wajib dibaca.
Kristiyana Hary Wahyudi
ini baru buku referensi ttg dunia narnia yg lmyn kumplit
Natasia Angel
Most of everything about Narnia is here..
Aayushi
good not as good as the red praymid
Ada Uí shúilleabháin
Ada Uí shúilleabháin marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Hai, Miiko! 11
  • Heaven is Full So I Came Back!: My Stupid Boss 3
  • The Wand in the Word: Conversations with Writers of Fantasy
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • The Chronicles of Narnia Set (Books 1-3) #1 The Magician's Nephew, #2 The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, #3 The Horse and His Boy
  • The Bedford Handbook
  • The Seasons of Life
  • The Ultimate Book of Mind Maps
The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings: The Amazing Myths, Legends and Facts Behind the Masterpiece The Hidden Myths in Harry Potter: Spellbinding Map and Book of Secrets Anne Frank Michelle Obama: An American Story