Start by marking “300” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  37,238 Ratings  ·  635 Reviews

The army of Persia - a force so vast it shakes the earth with its march - is poised to crush Greece, an island of reason and freedom in a sea of mysticism and tyranny

Standing between Greece and this tidal wave of destruction is a tiny detachment of but three hundred warriors.

But these warriors are more than men… they are SPARTANS.

300 is a story of war and defiance as only

Hardcover, 1st edition, 117 pages
Published August 1999 by Dark Horse Books (first published 1998)

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
33rd out of 2,263 books — 5,367 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
45th out of 826 books — 1,560 voters

More lists with this book...

Mahdi
Jun 26, 2015 Mahdi rated it liked it
کمیک 300، که دستمایه ی فیلمی از "زک اسنایدر" با همین نام شد که صدای ایرانی ها رو درآورد، نوشته ی "فرانک میلر" نویسنده ی افسانه ای کمیک.
به شخصه، فکر میکنم خیلی از کسایی که کلی سر و صدا کردن بابت این فیلم، فیلم رو ندیده بودن. خیلی ها هم صرفاً احساسات جمعی باعث شد خیلی علیهش موضع بگیرن. کمیک این قدرها به پارس ها توهین نمیکنه، فقط چون از دید اسپارتان ها روایت شده، طبیعیه که پارس ها به عنوان دشمن تصویر شدن.

هر چند، منصفانه نگاه کنیم، بعضی جاها پارس ها و اسپارتان ها رو مقایسه میکنه و حرف های خنده داری
Yi-Sheng
Apr 10, 2007 Yi-Sheng rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels, trash
Christ. This is crazy. Sparta's described as having this nightmarish culture where children are left out to die of exposure, men are ritually abused by each other to demonstrate toughness, the disabled are rejected in spite of their potential skills because they fail to fit into the military system, and international law is null and void (this is madness! No one kills a messenger! This is Sparta!).

And yet Frank Miller would have us believe they're better than the cultured Athenians (who're habit
Nicolo Yu
Jan 21, 2016 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it
Shelves: sdcc-2008-hauls
The effort by Dark Horse Comics to make this hardcover edition of Frank Miller's 300 into a panoramic edition is appreciated. This was the way Miller intended as the individual issues (or floppies) were a 2 page splash from start to finish.
My only gripe is I cannot display it spine first on my shelf with my other Miller works. But a great read nonetheless.
Mangrii
May 17, 2015 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En realidad un 4,5, pero ya se sabe con Goodreads.
El comic narra a través de 96 increíbles páginas en formato panorámico la batalla de las Termópilas en el 480 a. C., en la que 300 guerreros espartanos trataron de frenar el avance del ejército persa de Jerjes I en su avance hacia la Grecia continental y los sucesos que desembocaron en ella, todo ello desde la perspectiva del gran Leónidas I, rey de Esparta, siendo este uno de los episodios claves de la Segunda Guerra Médica, que enfrentó a las c
Sam Quixote
Jul 16, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
Though I'm a Frank Miller fan, back in 2006 I somehow hadn't heard of his book "300" so I went to see Zack Snyder's film first - and it completely blew me away. Maybe because I hadn't read Miller's book or seen anything about the film beforehand, but the film was shot in such a highly stylised way and the story was so utterly engrossing, that I couldn't get it out of my head and is probably one of my favourite films ever. Needless to say once I found out it was based on Miller's book I sought it ...more
Santiago
Jan 04, 2016 Santiago rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
Más Reviews en: https://entrehojasycapitulos.wordpres...

"Los dioses nos favorecen, mañana encenderemos un fuego que arderá en los corazones de todos los hombres libres por los siglos futuros"

300 es la historia de como un grupo de espartanos dio todo para resistir el asedio del Imperio Persa (con mayuscula). El comic en si tiene una historia interesante pero lo que se termina de ganar los corazones de los lectores es el arte que es increíble.

En si la historia es simple, pero te transmite muy bien
Brooke
Jul 17, 2012 Brooke rated it liked it
300 was alright, I suppose. I definitely came in with negative preconceptions after reading quite a few criticisms of the movie. In the end, though, the book was just a highly stylized telling of a fable. The story was more important than the characters, and it was interesting for the 20 minutes it took me to read it.
R.J. Astruc
Jun 28, 2013 R.J. Astruc rated it did not like it
This book is excellent if you need something to prop your computer up on if you're using it in bed and don't want the fan to get smothered by blankets.

I do not believe it has any other redeeming qualities.
Scarlet Cameo
Jun 28, 2016 Scarlet Cameo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc-15
La historia es muy entretenida pero no llegas a conocer a los personajes, ni siquiera a Leonidas, sólo sabes que están ahí porque se rigen por la Ley Espartana, su orgullo y su deseo de una muerte gloriosa. Honestamente la narración no es nada del otro mundo pero cumple con dos cosas, la prímera es que se adecua a las características de los personajes (ninguno trata de ser reflexivo o entender las implicaciones de la guerra. Están ahí más que por la libertad por su negación a ser esclavizados), ...more
Pamela
Nov 27, 2012 Pamela rated it it was ok
"Into the valley of death rode the six hundred ..." No, wait. Wrong battle. Wrong countries. Wrong millennium. But, you get the idea. Small band of Spartans makes a last stand at Thermopylae, a narrow passage which they had held against the massive invading Persian army. Spartans win glory for their heroic and patriotic actions. Trumpets blare! Poets sing! Movies featuring Gerard Butler and Michael Fassbender in very little clothing are made!*

The major issue I had with 300 was not so much the st
Mahomet
Jun 29, 2014 Mahomet rated it it was amazing
A radical adaptation of actual history, retold by Frank Miller through an eccentric artwork of knotty illustrations and vibrant colours. I must say that the ridiculous periods of time spent on a single page, just gawking at both recto and verso, is noteworthy too.
Dave Johnson
Mar 13, 2009 Dave Johnson rated it it was amazing
i saw the movie first and absolutely loved it, and after seeing it, i really wanted to read this. there's no real contrast between the two--they're virtually identical. but if you like graphic novels at all, this is a must-have. i have to say, rarely have i seen a graphic novel where the art takes center stage. sure there are comics with good art interspersed within the pages, but the art in this is just other-worldly. it's simply beautiful.

some of the complaints i've seen about this is that it
Francesca
Sep 19, 2015 Francesca rated it really liked it
Confesso: ho conosciuto l'opera di Miller grazie al film "300"... L'ho visto due volte, colpita dalla trama, dalle immagini (il senso della vista per me è fondamentale, sono sempre alla ricerca di vita che passi daglio occhi e mi rimanga impressa sotto le palpebre in modo tale da poterla rivedere ogni volta che batto le ciglia... flash di immagini che rimangono lì in attesa di ricordarmi l'emozione che mi ha dato guardarli) e dalla narrazione con cui la storia ci viene data. Poi, un cuore genero ...more
Miroku Nemeth
Jan 18, 2013 Miroku Nemeth rated it did not like it
Frank Miller may be a talented comic book artist, but it should be understood that to align oneself with the Spartans in such a celebratory and narrow way as he has done is to be aligned with one of history's most oppressive and fascist states. Racism and "othering" are essential to his work, unfortunately, and the masses all too readily consume this entertaining "meal" unconsciously of the poison they have brought into their system.

The historical inaccuracy of so many elements of the adaptation
Kurt Rocourt
Sep 22, 2015 Kurt Rocourt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-horse-tpb
If you've seen the movie than this book will feel differently to you. When I first read this book I read the main character as though he was Frank Millers Batman in ancient Greece. It's a good story but not so in your face as the movie is. The tone of the book is different from the movie. The lead character does not come across as an "in your face","ultra-macho", don't my abs look great when I scream/talk"type of person. The tone of the book helps make for a more believable story. Remember this ...more
Riku Sayuj
Feb 04, 2015 Riku Sayuj rated it really liked it

Leonidas and his valiant band of about five thousand (300 Spartans, 3,100 Peloponnesians, and additional helots, Thespians, and Thebans) hold the pass at Thermopylae for as long as possible, but they receive no reinforcements and those who remain all die when Xerxes is shown a way around the pass.

Later Miller forgets about the 4700 guys who also died, tells a tale of great valor and sacrifice that will live on forever, never to be forgotten... Then a movie was made about the same. Then a joke.
Andre
Jun 21, 2015 Andre rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1) Deutsche Rezension
2) English Review

1) Deutsche Rezension
Dieser Comic ist genauso dämlich und genauso offensichtliche Propaganda wie der bescheuerte Film den sie daraus gemacht hatten, sie sind nur in manchen Dingen mehr oder weniger dämlich im Vergleich zum Gegenüber.
Während sie im Film in Unterwäsche rumlaufen so sind es hier Tangas oder schlicht garnichts (und scheinbar glauben alle Spartaner an Intimrasur, denn es war nicht ein einziges Schamhaar zu sehen). Während im Film Leonidas dem B
Damien
Jul 24, 2009 Damien rated it it was ok
After all this time since the movie came out, people are still going on about controversies that I don't think even exist. So I decided to actually read the graphic novel. The art is not that good, and of course, neither is the story. In fact, the movie enhanced any redeeming quality that this had a few times over.
Bokeshi
Jan 14, 2015 Bokeshi rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The movie was better. I think that says enough.
Cris
Feb 20, 2016 Cris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
Wow.
J.G. Keely
Jun 08, 2009 J.G. Keely rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, reviewed
Fun and exciting. A worthwhile story to be told, though the omission of the Thespians and other abuses of artistic license mark the fault of Miller's sensationalism. Like the four-color comics before him, Miller takes archetypes and symbols and drives them full throttle to the epic, gun-blazing climax. Unfortunately, character and emotion suffer. This is not quite the liability that it could have been, as the Epic tradition is often purposefully guilty of the same and 300 fits into this traditio ...more
Chris
Aug 07, 2007 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
Much like the movie, the graphic novel from which it was inspired has very little character development. The only character you get to know at all, in fact, is Leonidas. But though it does make it slightly less interesting, I can forgive that seeing as how this is more a parable about freedom and honor than an actual novel. But as a parable, it works pretty well.

Much like The Fountainhead, if you saw the movie, you don't really need to read the book. The only difference between movie and book i
Maria
Nov 17, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it
Honestly, is anyone of us girls that cherished something in this story more than the six-pack Spartans?
This graphic novel is great and I loved the artwork but I don't think I should write a review on this with a word count of 300. So I'd better stop here.
Kelly
Feb 07, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
Animalistic (yes, I was a dork and used a "New Moon" word. Guess they are trying to be fancy now). [image error]

Rendered beautifully, but not really appropriate for those tenderhooks.

I am not easily persuaded to "waste" my time with comic books as I have been so taught. But there is much to distinguish between it being a time waster, and a glut feast for the mind's eye. It is not going to be made stronger by flipping billboards.
[image error]
Processing billboards as art might take some practic
Nada Elfeituri
Oct 04, 2012 Nada Elfeituri rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Masterful.
Okay, so I may have a penance for comics. A well-told story paired with bold artwork is undeniably one of the greatest expressions of art, in my opinion.
300 tells the story of 300 Spartan soldiers as they defend their land from invading Persians. It is a retelling of the battle of Thermopylae.
There's only one major character here, King Leonidas, although I guess you could count his entire Spartan army as one collective character (I did).
In literary terms, this would be co
Iraida
Frank Miller no es ningún desconocido. Famoso por su trabajo en DC Comics (Batman: The Dark Knight returns y Batman: Year one), que ha sido referente para el mundo cinematográfico de los superhéroes actuales, ha trascendido las barreras de la novela gráfica y no es raro que quien no haya cogido un cómic en su vida sí haya oído hablar de Frank Miller.

Sin embargo, desde mi humilde opinión, su mejor obra se encuentra en la editorial Dark Horse, que casualmente es mi favorita (lo siento, Marvel y D
T4ncr3d1
Jun 13, 2014 T4ncr3d1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Non so perché ho aspettato così tanto a (ri)leggere 300 e a recensirlo una buona volta.
Ad ogni modo. Non che a farlo anni fa sarebbe cambiato, perché la fama di 300 è esplosa con l'uscita del film e da allora tutti ne parlano e dicono la loro.
Dunque ne parlo anch'io. Leggendo 300 ho sempre faticato a scollarmi di dosso la spocchia dello storico, pronto a scrutare e criticare ogni infinitesimale inesattezza storica. Frank Miller ci va molto, molto vicino, ma della vicenda della guerra persiana e
Matthew Lipson
May 11, 2016 Matthew Lipson rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd time I've read this book, which happens with many of graphic collections. I re-picked this up, as I was dealing with a bit of insomnia and wanted something pretty to look at.

Many people have lamented the decline of Frank Miller's art and story telling. I'm not one of them. I feel his art has changed to represent the stories he is telling. This book is a great example of that. While continuing his journey into the use of heavy black inks, he still has a great eye for detail where
Sam
Apr 11, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing
I give this masterpiece 11 Spartan kicks out of 10.
Felisberto
Jan 11, 2014 Felisberto rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
“Isto é Esparta!”

Os valores a cultivar são a honra e a glória. Não existem outras opções. A Lei Espartana tem que cumprida, deve ser cumprida como se de fado divino se tratasse: um espartano nunca recua, um espartano nunca desiste, um espartano só luta pela vitória ou pela morte gloriosa. Não é opção, não é democracia ateniense, não é disso que se trata: isto é Esparta.
comment of 300 4 19 Dec 10, 2014 09:18AM
Bridges English 2...: 300 1 6 Mar 25, 2014 07:19AM
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • The Crow
  • Wolverine: Origin
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 1
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Dropsie Avenue: The Neighborhood
  • Whiteout
  • Wolverine
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 09: Here We Remain
  • Wanted
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 2: Arzach and Other Fantasy Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #2)
  • The Punisher, Vol. 1: Welcome Back, Frank
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the
More about Frank Miller...

“Spartans... tonight we dine in Hell!” 38 likes