Start by marking “300” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  38,074 Ratings  ·  683 Reviews

The army of Persia - a force so vast it shakes the earth with its march - is poised to crush Greece, an island of reason and freedom in a sea of mysticism and tyranny

Standing between Greece and this tidal wave of destruction is a tiny detachment of but three hundred warriors.

But these warriors are more than men… they are SPARTANS.

300 is a story of war and defiance as only

Hardcover, 1st edition, 88 pages
Published August 1999 by Dark Horse Books (first published 1998)

Trish
Sep 16, 2016 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with many comics and graphic novels, I've seen the movie before I read the book. But despite the extreme pathos, the floods of blood / body parts and the ridiculous make-up/CGI abs, I liked it. Thus I wanted to read the graphic novel.

The book is pretty short but it also has just the right length. It's not historically accurate, but I also didn't expect that since its purpose rather is to entertain, shock (corpses! nudity!) and give a new coating to an already very well-known point in history.
Foad
Apr 18, 2015 Foad rated it liked it
کمیک 300، که دستمایه ی فیلمی از "زک اسنایدر" با همین نام شد که صدای ایرانی ها رو درآورد، نوشته ی "فرانک میلر" نویسنده ی افسانه ای کمیک.
به شخصه، فکر میکنم خیلی از کسایی که کلی سر و صدا کردن بابت این فیلم، فیلم رو ندیده بودن. خیلی ها هم صرفاً احساسات جمعی باعث شد خیلی علیهش موضع بگیرن. کمیک این قدرها به پارس ها توهین نمیکنه، فقط چون از دید اسپارتان ها روایت شده، طبیعیه که پارس ها به عنوان دشمن تصویر شدن.

هر چند، منصفانه نگاه کنیم، بعضی جاها پارس ها و اسپارتان ها رو مقایسه میکنه و حرف های خنده داری
Mario
Oct 07, 2016 Mario rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I prefer to die on my feet,than live on my knees.

Ever since I've seen the movie adaptation of 300 (LONG time ago), I've been wanting to read the graphic novel, and now I finally got a chance to read it. I loved the movie adaptation of this (I even liked the sequel), and now that I finally read the graphic novel, I can safely say that I loved the graphic novel as well. I loved the art style, the way the story was told, and of course the characters. But I have to say, even though I loved the graph
Anna
Oct 29, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
Spartans! Tonight we dine in hell
The original graphic novel that inpired the movie of the same name.

Graphics are amazing, unique and pioneer for their time; too brutal and too tale-like. Lines are as spartan-like as they should be: "το λακωνίζειν εστί φιλοσοφείν" (talk as less as you can to be wise) is the moto of these soldiers that fear nothing, even death himself. "Η ταν ή επί τας" (come carrying this shield or be brought up to it") is the other hesitate-in-front-of-no-enemy moto.

Spartans
Yi-Sheng
Apr 10, 2007 Yi-Sheng rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels, trash
Christ. This is crazy. Sparta's described as having this nightmarish culture where children are left out to die of exposure, men are ritually abused by each other to demonstrate toughness, the disabled are rejected in spite of their potential skills because they fail to fit into the military system, and international law is null and void (this is madness! No one kills a messenger! This is Sparta!).

And yet Frank Miller would have us believe they're better than the cultured Athenians (who're habit
Nicolo Yu
Jul 12, 2009 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it
Shelves: sdcc-2008-hauls
The effort by Dark Horse Comics to make this hardcover edition of Frank Miller's 300 into a panoramic edition is appreciated. This was the way Miller intended as the individual issues (or floppies) were a 2 page splash from start to finish.
My only gripe is I cannot display it spine first on my shelf with my other Miller works. But a great read nonetheless.
Sam Quixote
Oct 16, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
Though I'm a Frank Miller fan, back in 2006 I somehow hadn't heard of his book "300" so I went to see Zack Snyder's film first - and it completely blew me away. Maybe because I hadn't read Miller's book or seen anything about the film beforehand, but the film was shot in such a highly stylised way and the story was so utterly engrossing, that I couldn't get it out of my head and is probably one of my favourite films ever. Needless to say once I found out it was based on Miller's book I sought it ...more
Sam
Apr 11, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing
I give this masterpiece 11 Spartan kicks out of 10.
Pamela
May 03, 2012 Pamela rated it it was ok
"Into the valley of death rode the six hundred ..." No, wait. Wrong battle. Wrong countries. Wrong millennium. But, you get the idea. Small band of Spartans makes a last stand at Thermopylae, a narrow passage which they had held against the massive invading Persian army. Spartans win glory for their heroic and patriotic actions. Trumpets blare! Poets sing! Movies featuring Gerard Butler and Michael Fassbender in very little clothing are made!*

The major issue I had with 300 was not so much the st
R.J. Astruc
Jun 28, 2013 R.J. Astruc rated it did not like it
This book is excellent if you need something to prop your computer up on if you're using it in bed and don't want the fan to get smothered by blankets.

I do not believe it has any other redeeming qualities.
Mangrii
May 15, 2015 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En realidad un 4,5, pero ya se sabe con Goodreads.
El comic narra a través de 96 increíbles páginas en formato panorámico la batalla de las Termópilas en el 480 a. C., en la que 300 guerreros espartanos trataron de frenar el avance del ejército persa de Jerjes I en su avance hacia la Grecia continental y los sucesos que desembocaron en ella, todo ello desde la perspectiva del gran Leónidas I, rey de Esparta, siendo este uno de los episodios claves de la Segunda Guerra Médica, que enfrentó a las c
Santiago
Nov 09, 2015 Santiago rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
Más Reviews en: https://entrehojasycapitulos.wordpres...

"Los dioses nos favorecen, mañana encenderemos un fuego que arderá en los corazones de todos los hombres libres por los siglos futuros"

300 es la historia de como un grupo de espartanos dio todo para resistir el asedio del Imperio Persa (con mayuscula). El comic en si tiene una historia interesante pero lo que se termina de ganar los corazones de los lectores es el arte que es increíble.

En si la historia es simple, pero te transmite muy bien
Jedi JC Daquis
Nov 16, 2012 Jedi JC Daquis rated it it was amazing
Zack Snyder's 2006 movie, 300 kept me on the edge of my seat as I watched it in the big screen. Until now, it still is one of my best guilty pleasure movies of all time. The slow motion choreography and the dumb macho rhetoric made me smile for days.

So, buying the 300 graphic novel by Frank Miller is the way to go to satiate my desire for more Spartan action. And man I am not disappointed. 300 has mindless fun and glorious deaths. The artwork is the best I have seen from Frank Miller.

300 the gra
Brooke
Aug 01, 2009 Brooke rated it liked it
300 was alright, I suppose. I definitely came in with negative preconceptions after reading quite a few criticisms of the movie. In the end, though, the book was just a highly stylized telling of a fable. The story was more important than the characters, and it was interesting for the 20 minutes it took me to read it.
Scarlet Cameo
Jun 16, 2015 Scarlet Cameo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc-15
La historia es muy entretenida pero no llegas a conocer a los personajes, ni siquiera a Leonidas, sólo sabes que están ahí porque se rigen por la Ley Espartana, su orgullo y su deseo de una muerte gloriosa. Honestamente la narración no es nada del otro mundo pero cumple con dos cosas, la prímera es que se adecua a las características de los personajes (ninguno trata de ser reflexivo o entender las implicaciones de la guerra. Están ahí más que por la libertad por su negación a ser esclavizados), ...more
Mahomet
Jun 28, 2014 Mahomet rated it it was amazing
A radical adaptation of actual history, retold by Frank Miller through an eccentric artwork of knotty illustrations and vibrant colours. I must say that the ridiculous periods of time spent on a single page, just gawking at both recto and verso, is noteworthy too.
مصطفي سليمان
الفرق ما بين فرانك ميللر و آلان مور هو الفرق ما بين الحرفي و الموهوب
فرانك ميللر صنايعي درجة أولي بيقدر يقدملك حاجة تجارية لطيفة بسيطة فيها فكرة ب أقل جهد ممكن بس يعملها شكلها حلو كدا و روشة ف تقول يا سلام الله عليك وهو فعلا مسلي بشدة من حيث الرسم و الأفكار عكس آلان مور موهوب و دماغه فيها كم تفاصيل و فلسفة غير منطقية عشان كدا يمكن شغل ميللر أكثر انتشار ولكن مثلا ميللر لما حاول يدخل عالم السينما فشل ذريع

هنا مثلا حالة رواية 300 قصة عن 300 رجل من سبرطة يدافعون عن مدينتهم من الاحتلال الفارسي ، حبكة
Dave Johnson
Mar 12, 2009 Dave Johnson rated it it was amazing
i saw the movie first and absolutely loved it, and after seeing it, i really wanted to read this. there's no real contrast between the two--they're virtually identical. but if you like graphic novels at all, this is a must-have. i have to say, rarely have i seen a graphic novel where the art takes center stage. sure there are comics with good art interspersed within the pages, but the art in this is just other-worldly. it's simply beautiful.

some of the complaints i've seen about this is that it
Miroku Nemeth
Jan 18, 2013 Miroku Nemeth rated it did not like it
Frank Miller may be a talented comic book artist, but it should be understood that to align oneself with the Spartans in such a celebratory and narrow way as he has done is to be aligned with one of history's most oppressive and fascist states. Racism and "othering" are essential to his work, unfortunately, and the masses all too readily consume this entertaining "meal" unconsciously of the poison they have brought into their system.

The historical inaccuracy of so many elements of the adaptation
Francesca
Sep 18, 2015 Francesca rated it really liked it
Confesso: ho conosciuto l'opera di Miller grazie al film "300"... L'ho visto due volte, colpita dalla trama, dalle immagini (il senso della vista per me è fondamentale, sono sempre alla ricerca di vita che passi daglio occhi e mi rimanga impressa sotto le palpebre in modo tale da poterla rivedere ogni volta che batto le ciglia... flash di immagini che rimangono lì in attesa di ricordarmi l'emozione che mi ha dato guardarli) e dalla narrazione con cui la storia ci viene data. Poi, un cuore genero ...more
Kurt Rocourt
May 28, 2012 Kurt Rocourt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-horse-tpb
If you've seen the movie than this book will feel differently to you. When I first read this book I read the main character as though he was Frank Millers Batman in ancient Greece. It's a good story but not so in your face as the movie is. The tone of the book is different from the movie. The lead character does not come across as an "in your face","ultra-macho", don't my abs look great when I scream/talk"type of person. The tone of the book helps make for a more believable story. Remember this ...more
Riku Sayuj
Dec 01, 2011 Riku Sayuj rated it really liked it

Leonidas and his valiant band of about five thousand (300 Spartans, 3,100 Peloponnesians, and additional helots, Thespians, and Thebans) hold the pass at Thermopylae for as long as possible, but they receive no reinforcements and those who remain all die when Xerxes is shown a way around the pass.

Later Miller forgets about the 4700 guys who also died, tells a tale of great valor and sacrifice that will live on forever, never to be forgotten... Then a movie was made about the same. Then a joke.
Damien
Jul 24, 2009 Damien rated it it was ok
After all this time since the movie came out, people are still going on about controversies that I don't think even exist. So I decided to actually read the graphic novel. The art is not that good, and of course, neither is the story. In fact, the movie enhanced any redeeming quality that this had a few times over.
Andre
Jun 15, 2015 Andre rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1) Deutsche Rezension
2) English Review

1) Deutsche Rezension
Dieser Comic ist genauso dämlich und genauso offensichtliche Propaganda wie der bescheuerte Film den sie daraus gemacht hatten, sie sind nur in manchen Dingen mehr oder weniger dämlich im Vergleich zum Gegenüber.
Während sie im Film in Unterwäsche rumlaufen so sind es hier Tangas oder schlicht garnichts (und scheinbar glauben alle Spartaner an Intimrasur, denn es war nicht ein einziges Schamhaar zu sehen). Während im Film Leonidas dem B
Bokeshi
Jan 14, 2015 Bokeshi rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The movie was better. I think that says enough.
Cris
Dec 04, 2015 Cris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
Wow.
Chris
Aug 07, 2007 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
Much like the movie, the graphic novel from which it was inspired has very little character development. The only character you get to know at all, in fact, is Leonidas. But though it does make it slightly less interesting, I can forgive that seeing as how this is more a parable about freedom and honor than an actual novel. But as a parable, it works pretty well.

Much like The Fountainhead, if you saw the movie, you don't really need to read the book. The only difference between movie and book i
J.G. Keely
May 13, 2007 J.G. Keely rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, reviewed
Fun and exciting. A worthwhile story to be told, though the omission of the Thespians and other abuses of artistic license mark the fault of Miller's sensationalism. Like the four-color comics before him, Miller takes archetypes and symbols and drives them full throttle to the epic, gun-blazing climax. Unfortunately, character and emotion suffer. This is not quite the liability that it could have been, as the Epic tradition is often purposefully guilty of the same and 300 fits into this traditio ...more
Kelly
Jul 24, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
Animalistic (yes, I was a dork and used a "New Moon" word. Guess they are trying to be fancy now). [image error]

Rendered beautifully, but not really appropriate for those tenderhooks.

I am not easily persuaded to "waste" my time with comic books as I have been so taught. But there is much to distinguish between it being a time waster, and a glut feast for the mind's eye. It is not going to be made stronger by flipping billboards.
[image error]
Processing billboards as art might take some practic
Nada Elfeituri
Oct 04, 2012 Nada Elfeituri rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Masterful.
Okay, so I may have a penance for comics. A well-told story paired with bold artwork is undeniably one of the greatest expressions of art, in my opinion.
300 tells the story of 300 Spartan soldiers as they defend their land from invading Persians. It is a retelling of the battle of Thermopylae.
There's only one major character here, King Leonidas, although I guess you could count his entire Spartan army as one collective character (I did).
In literary terms, this would be co
comment of 300 7 22 Sep 17, 2016 12:40AM
Bridges English 2...: 300 1 6 Mar 25, 2014 07:19AM
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • The Crow
  • Wolverine: Origin
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 1
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Dropsie Avenue: The Neighborhood
  • Whiteout
  • Wolverine
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 09: Here We Remain
  • Wanted
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 2: Arzach and Other Fantasy Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #2)
  • The Punisher, Vol. 1: Welcome Back, Frank
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the
More about Frank Miller...

“Spartans... tonight we dine in Hell!” 38 likes