Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1)

Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Sheila Lowe "wins readers over with her well-developed heroine and the wealth of fascinating detail"* in this captivating mystery set in Hollywood, where forensic handwriting expert Claudia Rose knows that despite the words it forms, a pen will always write the truth...

Before her body is found floating in her Jacuzzi, publicist to the stars Lindsey Alexander had few friend...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Capital Crime Press (first published 2007)

Glenda Bixler
Nov 02, 2008 Glenda Bixler rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody!
Shelves: reviewed-books
Poison Pen: A
Forensic Handwriting Mystery
By Sheila Lowe
Obsidian
300 Pages

Are you a "forensic" fan like I am? Well, then you definitely will enjoy the debut of Sheila Lowe's new forensic handwriting mystery series, starting with Poison Pen.

Through a bit of serendipity, I had the opportunity to read both Poison Pen and the follow-up book, Written in Blood this past weekend--what an enjoyable opportunity!

Claudia Rose, our forensic expert, was pulled into action when her former college friend was f...more
Quillracer
The apparent suicide of a friend draws Claudia Rose, a forensic handwriting expert, into a web of blackmail, lies and murder that almost kills her.

The plot was interesting and the characters engaging. Claudia is a realistic character displaying the doubts and fears any normal person would in the same circumstances. But despite these doubts and fears, Claudia perseveres; determined to uncover the truth behind her friend’s death.

Lowe did a good job of bringing the killer on-stage early in the book...more
rivka
I enjoyed this -- sympathetic and interesting characters; fast-paced plot that unrolls neatly, with surprises that keep coming; and I always enjoy books set in my part of L.A.

But I'm unlikely to pick up the next book in the series. Not unless it ends up being another free ebook. Too much depended on the hocus-pocus of handwriting analysis, which I found annoying.
Vicky
I usually have fairly low expectations when I download a free ebook in return for a review. I hope for something light that keeps me interested. This book therefore pleasantly surprised me.
I read quite a few murder-mysteries and they can get a bit boring, but this was a nice new idea as I have never read anything before that focused on forensic handwriting analysis.
The story was good, but it didn't take itself too seriously, and the science was really quite interesting. I think I would probably...more
Patty
Interesting book and I loved the premise, but I had a terrible time finishing this one. I'm going to give her next book a try because I liked the main characters but could build absolutely no empathy with the victim. Made it hard to care "who dunnit".
Nathania Ma
My initial reaction after reading this book is how UNBELIVABLE the setting is. First of all, police officers DO NOT PARTNER with an ordinary citizen when investigating crimes. They go with their PARTNERS! As such, I find the whole story strange. I do not mind the content but I think the author jumped to the conclusion rather than gave readers clues so they could figure out the murderer or at least the motive. The story itself is not bad and the idea of handwriting forensics is pretty cool. Unfor...more
Adrienne Testa
Claudia Rose, forensic handwriting expert gets involved in the case of her ex friend, Lindsey Alexander death. She hestitantly takes the case, only to discover Lindsey had many secrets. Those secrets high power people would prefer be kept secret. A plastic surgeon who is providing drugs to Lindsey. A senator who likes kinky sex, videotapes used for blackmail and a lesbian affair that no one ever suspected.
This series has potential. The author keeps the reader turning the pages with the twists a...more
Gail
This is a well constructed mystery with complex characters, victims, and plot. Claudia Rose is a trained forensic graphologist who studies handwriting as a way to communicate personality, tendencies, and abilities. She's well respected, though she continually has to disabuse people of the notion that she's some kind of woo woo fortune-teller.

Her former friend, Lindsey Alexander, is a publicist to the stars. Long despised by Claudia because of her insincerity, meanness, and manipulation, neverthe...more
Barb Radmore
Poison Pen- Death Between the Lines is one of the latest additions to the successful releases of Capital Crimes Press. And again they have published a well written but fun mystery that entertains from the first page to last.

Claudia Rose, Kelly Brennan and Lindsay Alexander had been close friends since college until Lindsay's betrayal of the others ended the friendship on a sour note. But when Lindsay is found dead and the police say it is suicide, Claudia and Kelly are not so sure. Actually Kell...more
Angela
Claudia may not have been on speaking terms with her ex-friend, Lindsey, but she still would like to know what happened to her that made her commit suicide. Claudia isn't so sure Lindsey would do a thing like that and at the funeral she overhears that she is not the only one to think this. Claudia's handwriting analysis expertise is about to be put into use here. She is determined to find out who killed Lindsey, because the writing on the suicide not does not jive with hers. Soon Claudia finds h...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Claudia Rose is a famous Forensic Handwriting Graphologist whom becomes a sleuth when a former friends' death involves herself and other friends.

I must tell you that the under-belly of the life of the initial victim actually repulsed me in many ways. It is not that I'm a prude and pretend that life is roses and sweet tea, however, I choose not to delve into the sexual fantasy world, especially the horrific acts that some persons perform to satisfy their carnal needs. This book must explore this...more
Jan
3 1/2 stars -- Claudia Rose is a respected handwriting analyst. When a frenemy dies from an apparent suicide, Claudia is asked to analyze the suicide note. While hunting for good examples of the deceased handwriting for comparison, Claudia stumbles across more and more information that leads her to think this was no suicide. She also stumbles across a murder fiction and a hunky detective.

I liked this book. It took me a while to get to know Claudia. There were so many other characters who oversha...more
Danie
This was a bit of a Mary Sue seeming plot. Claudia Rose the character, like the author makes her living decoding who people are by looking at their writing. It was a fine plot, structurally. A powerful woman in Hollywood is found dead. Everyone thinks suicide except her business associate.

What makes the plot a bit more interesting is that the woman killed is a college 'friend', though she and Claudia had a rocky past. The mystery unfolds from there.

I think part of my problem is that I don't full...more
Bill
The quirky aspect of this book is its faith in graphology, something that would stretch my credulity had I not had practitioners see deeper inside my psyche than I would have desired. Lowe convinces you the victim deserved it (well, the first one anyway) and builds a carefully-constructed plot to keep you from guessing who killed her till the end. I'd like to see more from Lowe, even if just to see where graphology takes her.
Leigh  Porch
This is an O.K. mystery and the first in a new series featuring graphologist Claudia Rose. I had a really hard time liking any of the characters in this story, so by the time the somewhat obvious killer was revealed, I simply no longer cared. I'm no prude, but incessant cursing inappropriate to a given situation turns me off. And these "ladies" can out-curse any sailor. I am referring to Claudia and her seriously unlikable best friend Kelly -- who seems to serve no purpose in this story other th...more
Ali
I'm still having a difficult time getting into this book so I've decided to shelve it until some future date and time. I did get further this time than I did two weeks ago but not by much. I wasn't bothered by the profanity as others have mentioned. I was however, put off by some of the phrasing and character actions, none of it seemed real - do people actually say dermis instead of skin? My mother's a doctor and my mother-in-law is a nurse and never have I heard either of them substitute dermis...more
Deirdre S.
This is just to own up to the fact that I didn't finish this book, and therefore can't give a valid opinion about it. I got it from the library and kept renewing it, but the first 20 pages or so just weren't enough to pull me into the universe of the book and its characters. I kept getting pulled away by books from favorite authors, with series characters I knew and loved that became available for limited time frames (more library books) and in the toss-up between this book and the others, this...more
audrey McCormick
Didn't Like

Found it was difficult to get into the story line and to identify the characters. I wanted to quit after several chapters...but ended up finishing. It did get somewhat interesting towards the end, but won't read another Forensic Handwriting Mystery.
Candy
An Okay Read

For me the story crawled. It was interesting about analyzing hand writing. Makes me curious to know if someone can learn so much from a few written words? I will not be reading another book about Claudia Rose.
William Lovejoy
Artfully presented and engaging from the first page to the last. The author knows her handwriting analysis, and that provides interesting detail as the story twists and turns unexpectedly. Highly recommended!
Liz Wood
Well worth reading.

The characters could stand further refinement, but the story is twisty enough to keep your attention. I also liked the transitions between the chapters.
April
A new amateur detective is introduced in this book--presumably the start of a new series--and her hook is that she's a graphologist, a handwriting expert.

That's a pretty interesting job, and I do wish that the heroine had spent more time actually doing that job, rather than running around trying to solve this mystery. That made it seem even more unbelievable to me than it might have been otherwise.

As always, the protagonist falls for the investigating officer. Predictable.

There's a lot of ventur...more
Linda Smatzny
This is the first book in the Forensic Handwriting Mystery series featuring Claudia Rose. Claudia is asked to look at a suicide note and determine if it was written by the deceased. While trying to do her job Claudia is attacked several times. She also learns the case involves power & sex which are prime motives for murder.
Billie Johnson
Loved this novel...very smartly done...great sense of place,Los Angeles. Clever mystery...great characters
Rozward
A good mystery without all the detailed gore. Keeps you interested as it creates the turns and crooks of the story line.
Terry
First in the Claudia Rose series, Sheila Lowe introduces us to the distinction between courtroom handwriting analysis for proof and verification of the writer and graphology which is the interpretation of personality traits from handwriting. She points out that the handwriting can show tendencies but does not make predictions. You can expect that you might see certain behaviors but you can't be sure that you will. At the same time, her description of the court process and how documents are analy...more
Joan
Read my review of What She Saw. The very same comments apply.
Janet
very good look forward to reading more like this
Lillie
I selected the book because the heroine is a forensic handwriting analyst, and I thought it would be interesting to read a mystery in which handwriting analysis was used to solve the crime. It was, and the mystery was a knotty one. However, I would have enjoyed the book more if the characters weren't all so sleazy. Obviously when you're dealing with murder, you're dealing with some pretty sleazy characters, but I didn't like that every politician, Christian, and successful businessperson was a h...more
Hope
Good characters, easy read
  • Deadly Advice
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • Superior Justice
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • Getting Old Is Murder (Gladdy Gold, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Paper, Scissors, Death (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Breeding Ground
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
Forensic handwriting examiner and author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Handwriting Analysis, Handwriting of the Famous & Infamous, and Sheila Lowe's Handwriting Analyzer software. Sheila's award-winning mystery series features handwriting expert, Claudia Rose. Poison Pen (that's the title, not the publisher) is the first in the series, followed by Written in Blood, Dead Write, and Last Writ...more
More about Sheila Lowe...
What She Saw Written in Blood (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #2) Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #3) The Complete Idiot's Guide to Handwriting Analysis Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #4)