Start by marking “Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1)

Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  436 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Sheila Lowe "wins readers over with her well-developed heroine and the wealth of fascinating detail"* in this captivating mystery set in Hollywood, where forensic handwriting expert Claudia Rose knows that despite the words it forms, a pen will always write the truth...

Before her body is found floating in her Jacuzzi, publicist to the stars Lindsey Alexander had few friend
Published March 1st 2007 by Capital Crime Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Poison Pen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poison Pen

Glenda Bixler
Nov 02, 2008 Glenda Bixler rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody!
Shelves: reviewed-books
Poison Pen: A
Forensic Handwriting Mystery
By Sheila Lowe
Obsidian
300 Pages

Are you a "forensic" fan like I am? Well, then you definitely will enjoy the debut of Sheila Lowe's new forensic handwriting mystery series, starting with Poison Pen.

Through a bit of serendipity, I had the opportunity to read both Poison Pen and the follow-up book, Written in Blood this past weekend--what an enjoyable opportunity!

Claudia Rose, our forensic expert, was pulled into action when her former college friend was f
Quillracer
The apparent suicide of a friend draws Claudia Rose, a forensic handwriting expert, into a web of blackmail, lies and murder that almost kills her.

The plot was interesting and the characters engaging. Claudia is a realistic character displaying the doubts and fears any normal person would in the same circumstances. But despite these doubts and fears, Claudia perseveres; determined to uncover the truth behind her friend’s death.

Lowe did a good job of bringing the killer on-stage early in the book
rivka
I enjoyed this -- sympathetic and interesting characters; fast-paced plot that unrolls neatly, with surprises that keep coming; and I always enjoy books set in my part of L.A.

But I'm unlikely to pick up the next book in the series. Not unless it ends up being another free ebook. Too much depended on the hocus-pocus of handwriting analysis, which I found annoying.
Denise Zendel
This is the first in a series from a woman who is, in real life, a forensic handwriting expert. Claudia Rose, a handwriting analyst, is called to examine a purported suicide note of an extremely unpleasant high powered Hollywood publicist with a lot of enemies. The police are willing to accept the note at face value, but Claudia has a different perspective. The dead woman was once her friend and she can’t buy the suicide angle.

This was a good first effort. There is just enough detail about handw
Vicky
I usually have fairly low expectations when I download a free ebook in return for a review. I hope for something light that keeps me interested. This book therefore pleasantly surprised me.
I read quite a few murder-mysteries and they can get a bit boring, but this was a nice new idea as I have never read anything before that focused on forensic handwriting analysis.
The story was good, but it didn't take itself too seriously, and the science was really quite interesting. I think I would probably
Lynda Kelly
Dear oh dear.........another free one that sounded good (as did another by her I downloaded) and marred by a lack of editing/proofreading. And to be honest, if she can't be bothered then neither can I.
I got to 17% with this little gem and packed it in-"Zebediahnodded."TheSommerfieldsemployedEarlasachauffeur." I mean, for real ? And NOBODY spotted this when editing ??
There seemed to an issue all the way through with spacing, or lack thereof-we had upwith and wellhave. Then one was used where on w
Patty
Interesting book and I loved the premise, but I had a terrible time finishing this one. I'm going to give her next book a try because I liked the main characters but could build absolutely no empathy with the victim. Made it hard to care "who dunnit".
Liza Gilbert
Abandoned at page 15. The main character is a handwriting analyst with a psychology background. At the funeral of a friend who committed suicide she declares, unforgivingly, that committing suicide is purely a selfish act. Done. Game over. I couldn't continue the book. Anyone who analyzes mental behavior, normalcies, and illnesses as their profession would have a better, more intelligent, and clinical understanding of what suicide really is. The author may believe that suicide is selfish, but if ...more
Nathania Ma
My initial reaction after reading this book is how UNBELIVABLE the setting is. First of all, police officers DO NOT PARTNER with an ordinary citizen when investigating crimes. They go with their PARTNERS! As such, I find the whole story strange. I do not mind the content but I think the author jumped to the conclusion rather than gave readers clues so they could figure out the murderer or at least the motive. The story itself is not bad and the idea of handwriting forensics is pretty cool. Unfor ...more
Adrienne Testa
Claudia Rose, forensic handwriting expert gets involved in the case of her ex friend, Lindsey Alexander death. She hestitantly takes the case, only to discover Lindsey had many secrets. Those secrets high power people would prefer be kept secret. A plastic surgeon who is providing drugs to Lindsey. A senator who likes kinky sex, videotapes used for blackmail and a lesbian affair that no one ever suspected.
This series has potential. The author keeps the reader turning the pages with the twists a
Gail
This is a well constructed mystery with complex characters, victims, and plot. Claudia Rose is a trained forensic graphologist who studies handwriting as a way to communicate personality, tendencies, and abilities. She's well respected, though she continually has to disabuse people of the notion that she's some kind of woo woo fortune-teller.

Her former friend, Lindsey Alexander, is a publicist to the stars. Long despised by Claudia because of her insincerity, meanness, and manipulation, neverthe
Barb Radmore
Poison Pen- Death Between the Lines is one of the latest additions to the successful releases of Capital Crimes Press. And again they have published a well written but fun mystery that entertains from the first page to last.

Claudia Rose, Kelly Brennan and Lindsay Alexander had been close friends since college until Lindsay's betrayal of the others ended the friendship on a sour note. But when Lindsay is found dead and the police say it is suicide, Claudia and Kelly are not so sure. Actually Kell
Angela
Claudia may not have been on speaking terms with her ex-friend, Lindsey, but she still would like to know what happened to her that made her commit suicide. Claudia isn't so sure Lindsey would do a thing like that and at the funeral she overhears that she is not the only one to think this. Claudia's handwriting analysis expertise is about to be put into use here. She is determined to find out who killed Lindsey, because the writing on the suicide not does not jive with hers. Soon Claudia finds h ...more
Sheri
Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mysteries)by Sheila Lowe

Claudia Rose is a forensic handwriting specialist. When publicist Lindsey Alexander is found dead with a letter nearby it is suspected suicide. Claudia is on the scene to try to help find out who did it, she is convinced this is not a suicide. Soon people are ending up dead and Cluadia will be next, it is a race for time on solving this crime.

A fast paced murder/mystery. Claudia is very likable, the suspect list starts to grow, which adds
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Claudia Rose is a famous Forensic Handwriting Graphologist whom becomes a sleuth when a former friends' death involves herself and other friends.

I must tell you that the under-belly of the life of the initial victim actually repulsed me in many ways. It is not that I'm a prude and pretend that life is roses and sweet tea, however, I choose not to delve into the sexual fantasy world, especially the horrific acts that some persons perform to satisfy their carnal needs. This book must explore this
Jan
3 1/2 stars -- Claudia Rose is a respected handwriting analyst. When a frenemy dies from an apparent suicide, Claudia is asked to analyze the suicide note. While hunting for good examples of the deceased handwriting for comparison, Claudia stumbles across more and more information that leads her to think this was no suicide. She also stumbles across a murder fiction and a hunky detective.

I liked this book. It took me a while to get to know Claudia. There were so many other characters who oversha
Danie
This was a bit of a Mary Sue seeming plot. Claudia Rose the character, like the author makes her living decoding who people are by looking at their writing. It was a fine plot, structurally. A powerful woman in Hollywood is found dead. Everyone thinks suicide except her business associate.

What makes the plot a bit more interesting is that the woman killed is a college 'friend', though she and Claudia had a rocky past. The mystery unfolds from there.

I think part of my problem is that I don't full
Leigh
This is an O.K. mystery and the first in a new series featuring graphologist Claudia Rose. I had a really hard time liking any of the characters in this story, so by the time the somewhat obvious killer was revealed, I simply no longer cared. I'm no prude, but incessant cursing inappropriate to a given situation turns me off. And these "ladies" can out-curse any sailor. I am referring to Claudia and her seriously unlikable best friend Kelly -- who seems to serve no purpose in this story other th ...more
Ali
I'm still having a difficult time getting into this book so I've decided to shelve it until some future date and time. I did get further this time than I did two weeks ago but not by much. I wasn't bothered by the profanity as others have mentioned. I was however, put off by some of the phrasing and character actions, none of it seemed real - do people actually say dermis instead of skin? My mother's a doctor and my mother-in-law is a nurse and never have I heard either of them substitute dermis ...more
Deirdre S.
This is just to own up to the fact that I didn't finish this book, and therefore can't give a valid opinion about it. I got it from the library and kept renewing it, but the first 20 pages or so just weren't enough to pull me into the universe of the book and its characters. I kept getting pulled away by books from favorite authors, with series characters I knew and loved that became available for limited time frames (more library books) and in the toss-up between this book and the others, this ...more
Linda
First I confess I was unable to finish this book. I did not even make it to the halfway point. This is due to my personal likes/dislikes/biases. I find the science of forensic handwriting fascinating but not enough to carry me through the whole Hollywood/LA/California Glitterati angst drama. Just not my thing. This author writes well and does good character development; so if the Hollywood thing is your thing you might really enjoy Sheila Lowe's books.
I buy most of my books gently used and now
audrey McCormick
Didn't Like

Found it was difficult to get into the story line and to identify the characters. I wanted to quit after several chapters...but ended up finishing. It did get somewhat interesting towards the end, but won't read another Forensic Handwriting Mystery.
Ann
I enjoyed Poison Pen by Shelia Lowe. It's a mystery that will keep you guessing. Ms Lowe is a forensic handwriting expert and incorporates this into her story which makes it very unique. Definitely will read more stories about Claudia Rose our heroine.
Candy
An Okay Read

For me the story crawled. It was interesting about analyzing hand writing. Makes me curious to know if someone can learn so much from a few written words? I will not be reading another book about Claudia Rose.
William Lovejoy
Artfully presented and engaging from the first page to the last. The author knows her handwriting analysis, and that provides interesting detail as the story twists and turns unexpectedly. Highly recommended!
Liz Wood
Well worth reading.

The characters could stand further refinement, but the story is twisty enough to keep your attention. I also liked the transitions between the chapters.
April
A new amateur detective is introduced in this book--presumably the start of a new series--and her hook is that she's a graphologist, a handwriting expert.

That's a pretty interesting job, and I do wish that the heroine had spent more time actually doing that job, rather than running around trying to solve this mystery. That made it seem even more unbelievable to me than it might have been otherwise.

As always, the protagonist falls for the investigating officer. Predictable.

There's a lot of ventur
Linda Smatzny
This is the first book in the Forensic Handwriting Mystery series featuring Claudia Rose. Claudia is asked to look at a suicide note and determine if it was written by the deceased. While trying to do her job Claudia is attacked several times. She also learns the case involves power & sex which are prime motives for murder.
Kristen
In Sheila Lowe's mystery series debut, Poison Pen, she introduced us to Claudia Rose, a forensic handwriting expert, who'd gotten embroiled into a complicated murder case. It started with Lindsay Alexander, a former close friend of hers, who died suddenly and looked suspicious. From there, she teamed up with her friend Kelly and sexy detective, Joel Jovancic, when her close friend Ivan was beaten up to death and later died. The closer she dug into Lindsay's life and secrets, the more precarious ...more
Kelly
Love this book! Claudia Rose has one of the most fascinating jobs ever. Can't wait to pick up the next in the series.
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Tressed to Kill
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • Sketch Me If You Can (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1)
Forensic handwriting examiner and author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Handwriting Analysis, Handwriting of the Famous & Infamous, and Sheila Lowe's Handwriting Analyzer software. Sheila's award-winning mystery series features handwriting expert, Claudia Rose. Poison Pen (that's the title, not the publisher) is the first in the series, followed by Written in Blood, Dead Write, and Last Writ ...more
More about Sheila Lowe...

Forensic Handwriting Mystery (5 books)
  • Written in Blood (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #2)
  • Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #3)
  • Inkslingers Ball (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #5)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #4)
What She Saw Written in Blood (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #2) Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #3) The Complete Idiot's Guide to Handwriting Analysis Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #4)