Start by marking “Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1)

Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1)

Lindsey Alexander, a top Hollywood publicist, has apparently committed suicide. Her friend and business manager isn’t so sure, and he retains Claudia to examine the purported suicide note. Claudia was well acquainted with Lindsey, having experienced her ruthless self-promotion first-hand. As the story progresses, Claudia discovers Lindsey’s secret side business, and the qu ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Capital Crime Press

Toni Osborne
Jul 04, 2015 Toni Osborne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 1, in the Forensic Handwriting Mystery

Mystery novels have always been at the heart of my reading and of course my preferred chose. It is very refreshing when one comes along with a new storyline and definitely having a forensic handwriting analyst teaming up with a detective should do the trick. What makes this novel interesting above all is that the author, an expert in the field has skillfully injected into her plot fascinating information about the intricacies of graphology.

This crisp an
Glenda Bixler
Nov 02, 2008 Glenda Bixler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody!
Shelves: reviewed-books
Poison Pen: A
Forensic Handwriting Mystery
By Sheila Lowe
Obsidian
300 Pages

Are you a "forensic" fan like I am? Well, then you definitely will enjoy the debut of Sheila Lowe's new forensic handwriting mystery series, starting with Poison Pen.

Through a bit of serendipity, I had the opportunity to read both Poison Pen and the follow-up book, Written in Blood this past weekend--what an enjoyable opportunity!

Claudia Rose, our forensic expert, was pulled into action when her former college friend was f
Hitessh Panchal
Aug 08, 2016 Hitessh Panchal rated it liked it

Frankly speaking , I Picked up this book with an impression, that there would be some learning along about handwriting analysis and enjoying a good mystery.

The Author did drop some of the features, but this book entirely does not categorises under "Handwriting Forensic"

Anyway, it was not entirely a waste of Time. Can be read once. You cannot expect a Master Story from this one.

There are five more in the series and I still do intend to pick the rest one by one as and when my mood permits.

You wo

Shalini
A cozy mystery after a long time. Thoroughly enjoyed this one, and lapped in the details about handwriting analysis. This one starts with the death of an influential Hollywood promotional lady who's found drowned in an inebriated state in her bath tub. initially deemed a suicide, other deaths follow and secrets of the rich and influential are exposed. The detecting team here is a handwriting expert, a former friend of the dead lady, and a charismatic police detective. The end was satisfactory.
Lori Cimino
Jul 17, 2016 Lori Cimino rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a series written by Sheila Lowe. I usually read strictly cozy mysteries which this is not. But it was so good, so page turningly good I couldn't put it down. I love the main character Claudia who is a hand writing analyzer expert. I found this concept so fascinating. Add in a murder, a list of whose who suspects and Jovanic the detective on the case and you are reading a thriller of a story.
I am definitely ready to dive into the next book in the series. Thanks Sheila for a m
rivka
May 18, 2009 rivka rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ebooks, gr-author
I enjoyed this -- sympathetic and interesting characters; fast-paced plot that unrolls neatly, with surprises that keep coming; and I always enjoy books set in my part of L.A.

But I'm unlikely to pick up the next book in the series. Not unless it ends up being another free ebook. Too much depended on the hocus-pocus of handwriting analysis, which I found annoying.
Patty
Jan 25, 2009 Patty rated it liked it
Interesting book and I loved the premise, but I had a terrible time finishing this one. I'm going to give her next book a try because I liked the main characters but could build absolutely no empathy with the victim. Made it hard to care "who dunnit".
Peg Brantley
Apr 11, 2012 Peg Brantley rated it it was amazing
When you consider that this is Ms. Lowe's first foray into fiction, it really is amazing. I fell in love her protagonist right away and with the added interest of handwriting analysis, the series is one I'm looking forward to continuing.
Barb Radmore
Poison Pen- Death Between the Lines is one of the latest additions to the successful releases of Capital Crimes Press. And again they have published a well written but fun mystery that entertains from the first page to last.

Claudia Rose, Kelly Brennan and Lindsay Alexander had been close friends since college until Lindsay's betrayal of the others ended the friendship on a sour note. But when Lindsay is found dead and the police say it is suicide, Claudia and Kelly are not so sure. Actually Kell
Angela
Jun 01, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Claudia may not have been on speaking terms with her ex-friend, Lindsey, but she still would like to know what happened to her that made her commit suicide. Claudia isn't so sure Lindsey would do a thing like that and at the funeral she overhears that she is not the only one to think this. Claudia's handwriting analysis expertise is about to be put into use here. She is determined to find out who killed Lindsey, because the writing on the suicide not does not jive with hers. Soon Claudia finds h ...more
Carlin
Feb 03, 2017 Carlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had already read two others in this series (#2 & #4) before I started this one (#1). I loved the story but found myself getting more and more irritated about the bad editing. Isn't there a way for an author of an e-book to go back and fix mistakes? To be clear, the other books do not have the same editing flaws, so I do not hesitate to recommend the books!

This series is unique in my experience, a forensic handwriting analyst as the protagonist. This is the author's profession as well, and
Dee
Jan 17, 2017 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claudia Rose and her friend Kelly attend the funeral of a former friend Lindsey, PR person to some A-list clients. The death is ruled a suicide, but Lindsey's partner, Ivan, doesn't believe it and asks Claudia, a well respected handwriting analyst, to find out if the supposed suicide note was written by Lindsey or by someone who murdered her. When Ivan asks Claudia to come by the penthouse and pick up some information she discovers that Ivan has been murdered in Lindsey's kitchen. And walking in ...more
Gail
Jul 24, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This is a well constructed mystery with complex characters, victims, and plot. Claudia Rose is a trained forensic graphologist who studies handwriting as a way to communicate personality, tendencies, and abilities. She's well respected, though she continually has to disabuse people of the notion that she's some kind of woo woo fortune-teller.

Her former friend, Lindsey Alexander, is a publicist to the stars. Long despised by Claudia because of her insincerity, meanness, and manipulation, neverthe
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
May 08, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
Claudia Rose is a famous Forensic Handwriting Graphologist whom becomes a sleuth when a former friends' death involves herself and other friends.

I must tell you that the under-belly of the life of the initial victim actually repulsed me in many ways. It is not that I'm a prude and pretend that life is roses and sweet tea, however, I choose not to delve into the sexual fantasy world, especially the horrific acts that some persons perform to satisfy their carnal needs. This book must explore this
Quillracer
Mar 08, 2014 Quillracer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
The apparent suicide of a friend draws Claudia Rose, a forensic handwriting expert, into a web of blackmail, lies and murder that almost kills her.

The plot was interesting and the characters engaging. Claudia is a realistic character displaying the doubts and fears any normal person would in the same circumstances. But despite these doubts and fears, Claudia perseveres; determined to uncover the truth behind her friend’s death.

Lowe did a good job of bringing the killer on-stage early in the book
Jan
Apr 12, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance
3 1/2 stars -- Claudia Rose is a respected handwriting analyst. When a frenemy dies from an apparent suicide, Claudia is asked to analyze the suicide note. While hunting for good examples of the deceased handwriting for comparison, Claudia stumbles across more and more information that leads her to think this was no suicide. She also stumbles across a murder fiction and a hunky detective.

I liked this book. It took me a while to get to know Claudia. There were so many other characters who oversha
Danie
Aug 21, 2009 Danie rated it it was ok
Shelves: myst-thrill
This was a bit of a Mary Sue seeming plot. Claudia Rose the character, like the author makes her living decoding who people are by looking at their writing. It was a fine plot, structurally. A powerful woman in Hollywood is found dead. Everyone thinks suicide except her business associate.

What makes the plot a bit more interesting is that the woman killed is a college 'friend', though she and Claudia had a rocky past. The mystery unfolds from there.

I think part of my problem is that I don't full
Denise Zendel
Nov 30, 2014 Denise Zendel rated it liked it
This is the first in a series from a woman who is, in real life, a forensic handwriting expert. Claudia Rose, a handwriting analyst, is called to examine a purported suicide note of an extremely unpleasant high powered Hollywood publicist with a lot of enemies. The police are willing to accept the note at face value, but Claudia has a different perspective. The dead woman was once her friend and she can’t buy the suicide angle.

This was a good first effort. There is just enough detail about handw
Deirdre S.
Feb 02, 2011 Deirdre S. rated it liked it
This is just to own up to the fact that I didn't finish this book, and therefore can't give a valid opinion about it. I got it from the library and kept renewing it, but the first 20 pages or so just weren't enough to pull me into the universe of the book and its characters. I kept getting pulled away by books from favorite authors, with series characters I knew and loved that became available for limited time frames (more library books) and in the toss-up between this book and the others, this ...more
Leigh
Apr 20, 2008 Leigh rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-mysteries
This is an O.K. mystery and the first in a new series featuring graphologist Claudia Rose. I had a really hard time liking any of the characters in this story, so by the time the somewhat obvious killer was revealed, I simply no longer cared. I'm no prude, but incessant cursing inappropriate to a given situation turns me off. And these "ladies" can out-curse any sailor. I am referring to Claudia and her seriously unlikable best friend Kelly -- who seems to serve no purpose in this story other th ...more
Ali
Apr 11, 2008 Ali rated it it was ok
Shelves: summer-reading
I'm still having a difficult time getting into this book so I've decided to shelve it until some future date and time. I did get further this time than I did two weeks ago but not by much. I wasn't bothered by the profanity as others have mentioned. I was however, put off by some of the phrasing and character actions, none of it seemed real - do people actually say dermis instead of skin? My mother's a doctor and my mother-in-law is a nurse and never have I heard either of them substitute dermis ...more
Becky
Sep 20, 2016 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Handwriting analysis is something I am curious about and I love reading mysteries, so I picked this book to try. Right away, I realized this was not in the cozy mystery genre because of the bad language! It definitely is a contemporary murder/suspense mystery.The storyline was something that does happen in real life, no matter what the income level of the victims, and it is difficult to read about. However, Camilla is a very interesting person, the handwriting parts were a highlight of the story ...more
Vicky
May 16, 2014 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I usually have fairly low expectations when I download a free ebook in return for a review. I hope for something light that keeps me interested. This book therefore pleasantly surprised me.
I read quite a few murder-mysteries and they can get a bit boring, but this was a nice new idea as I have never read anything before that focused on forensic handwriting analysis.
The story was good, but it didn't take itself too seriously, and the science was really quite interesting. I think I would probably
Lynda Kelly
Sep 07, 2014 Lynda Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
Dear oh dear.........another free one that sounded good (as did another by her I downloaded) and marred by a lack of editing/proofreading. And to be honest, if she can't be bothered then neither can I.
I got to 17% with this little gem and packed it in-"Zebediahnodded."TheSommerfieldsemployedEarlasachauffeur." I mean, for real ? And NOBODY spotted this when editing ??
There seemed to an issue all the way through with spacing, or lack thereof-we had upwith and wellhave. Then one was used where on w
Sheila Becker
Sep 06, 2016 Sheila Becker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't like to admit that I read this book. All of it. It was well written and all that, but there's a reason I stick to cozy or british or otherwise cleaner stuff. I don't like the language and sex and perversions that come out in other mysteries. I'm not sure why I thought this one would be okay but the title should have probably clued me in- the pen was very poison. If you don't mind the language, sex and perversions, then you'd probably like this.
Dharia Scarab
Jan 25, 2017 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 sta
Sheri
Jul 30, 2014 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mysteries)by Sheila Lowe

Claudia Rose is a forensic handwriting specialist. When publicist Lindsey Alexander is found dead with a letter nearby it is suspected suicide. Claudia is on the scene to try to help find out who did it, she is convinced this is not a suicide. Soon people are ending up dead and Cluadia will be next, it is a race for time on solving this crime.

A fast paced murder/mystery. Claudia is very likable, the suspect list starts to grow, which adds
Nathania Ma
My initial reaction after reading this book is how UNBELIVABLE the setting is. First of all, police officers DO NOT PARTNER with an ordinary citizen when investigating crimes. They go with their PARTNERS! As such, I find the whole story strange. I do not mind the content but I think the author jumped to the conclusion rather than gave readers clues so they could figure out the murderer or at least the motive. The story itself is not bad and the idea of handwriting forensics is pretty cool. Unfor ...more
Kristen
Jun 16, 2014 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-mystery, 2014
In Sheila Lowe's mystery series debut, Poison Pen, she introduced us to Claudia Rose, a forensic handwriting expert, who'd gotten embroiled into a complicated murder case. It started with Lindsay Alexander, a former close friend of hers, who died suddenly and looked suspicious. From there, she teamed up with her friend Kelly and sexy detective, Joel Jovancic, when her close friend Ivan was beaten up to death and later died. The closer she dug into Lindsay's life and secrets, the more precarious ...more
April
May 18, 2008 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2008
A new amateur detective is introduced in this book--presumably the start of a new series--and her hook is that she's a graphologist, a handwriting expert.

That's a pretty interesting job, and I do wish that the heroine had spent more time actually doing that job, rather than running around trying to solve this mystery. That made it seem even more unbelievable to me than it might have been otherwise.

As always, the protagonist falls for the investigating officer. Predictable.

There's a lot of ventur
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Reel Murder (Talk Radio Mystery, #2)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • The Square Root of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #1)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Pretty in Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Sketch Me If You Can (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #1)
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
  • Short Squeeze
Forensic handwriting examiner and author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Handwriting Analysis, Handwriting of the Famous & Infamous, and Sheila Lowe's Handwriting Analyzer software. Sheila's award-winning mystery series features handwriting expert, Claudia Rose. Poison Pen (that's the title, not the publisher) is the first in the series, followed by Written in Blood, Dead Write, and Last Writ ...more
More about Sheila Lowe...

Forensic Handwriting Mystery (6 books)
  • Written in Blood (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #2)
  • Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #3)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #4)
  • Inkslingers Ball (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #5)
  • Outside the Lines (Forensic Handwriting Book 6)