Start by marking “Piano” as Want to Read:
Piano

Piano

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  263 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Max Delmarc, age fifty, is a famous concert pianist with two problems: the first is a paralyzing stage fright for which the second, alcohol, is the only treatment. In this unparalleled comedy from the Prix Goncourt–winning French novelist Jean Echenoz, we journey with Max, from the trials of his everyday life, through his untimely death, and on into the afterlife.

After a b
Published April 15th 2004 by The New Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Piano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piano

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayBetrayed by P.C. CastTorment by Lauren KateThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonUntamed by P.C. Cast
With Their Backs to the Reader
205th out of 706 books — 227 voters
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel BarberySarah's Key by Tatiana de RosnayChocolat by Joanne HarrisA Very Long Engagement by Sébastien JaprisotHunting and Gathering by Anna Gavalda
France in Contemporary Fiction
190th out of 197 books — 140 voters

More lists with this book...

Eileen
Sometimes Jean Echenoz's books can be a little hard to dedicate yourself to. There are times when it seems like the story isn't ever going to end up anywhere and that no hidden meaning will ever be uncovered. I felt like this all throughout 'Piano' but was greatly rewarded at the end. Ever since finishing this book I have never again doubted Echenoz's ability to communicate an idea. No matter what path he takes along the way it is always enjoyable and it is always worth it. There is a meticulous ...more
Hakan
Sep 23, 2015 Hakan rated it really liked it
Echenoz'dan ilginç bir roman daha. Bu arada hemen belirteyim, çevirisi şu an piyasada yok, bir sahaftan Sarışın Bombalar ile birlikte online almıştım bu kitabı. Bu sefer metafizik sulara yelken açmış Echenoz. Sahne stresini alkolle aşmaya çalışan, karşı cinsle mahçup ve platonik ilişkiler yaşayan ünlü bir piyanistin öteki dünyaya da uzanan hikayesi anlatılıyor. Ve zaman zaman insanı donduruyor bu hikaye. Hiçbir dramaya yol açmadan minimalist bir cehennem ortamı yaratabilmiş. Bu da yazarın mahare ...more
Melanie
Oct 08, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
Echenoz is een Franse schrijver die me aangeraden werd door een Spaanse vriendin. Aan de piano gaat over een concertpianist die podiumvrees heeft en alcoholist is. Van in het begin weet je dat Max binnen afzienbare tijd zal sterven. In het eerste deel van het boek leren we Max inderdaad kennen als iemand die drank nodig heeft om op het podium te presteren. Het verhaal neemt een heel andere wending wanneer hij inderdaad uit de weg geruimd wordt. Ik had voortdurend het gevoel dat ik in een van mij ...more
Angélique Moreau
I picked up this book after having read 14. I hope to find again the stylistic minimalism I thought was characteristic of Echenoz (I haven't read any other book he has written), but no, it is an altogether different voice, younger perhaps, yet more in tune with this fantasy-full novel dealing with incertainty. It is dark, though, and drowning in endless questions like some of the characters drown their sorrows in alcohol.

If we learn from the very first lines that Max is going to die soon (it is
Hannah
Jun 27, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With typical French humor Echenoz describes how someone can, through a number of circumstances, end up in hell - which turns out to be modern day Paris, where our main character Max Delmarc has lived all along. With an endearing hilarity, we are sent on a romantic chase through Paris, sparing no detail of Delmarc's feelings, thoughts or desperate actions.

Includes spoilers!!!!!

Max Delmarc is a very successful and somewhat famous piano player who lives near chateau rouge in the 18e arrondissement
Roberto
Jun 02, 2013 Roberto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
È la storia di Max Delmarc, un pianista di successo che, però, non conosce la vita eccitante che la maggior parte di noi immaginerebbe. Il pianoforte per lui è una bestia indomabile dai denti d’avorio, le fauci spalancate pronte a sbranargli l’anima da un momento all’altro. Il pianoforte è tutto il suo mondo, anche se una paura folle lo assale ogni volta che sul palcoscenico avvicina le dita ai tasti immacolati.

“Eccolo li il terribile Steinway, con la sua lunga tastiera bianca pronta a sbranarti
Kris McCracken
Feb 16, 2012 Kris McCracken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A contemporary French novel that is at once suave, droll and dry. It isn’t a spoiler to say that we learn that our central character is going to die a violent death in twenty-two days (it’s mentioned in the third sentence). What follows is the tale of alcoholic French classical pianist, his death and (ultimately) his afterlife, Piano is a charming (if somewhat odd) novel.

Imagine an episode of The Twilight Zone infused with a heavy dose of French existentialism and you will have some idea of this
Sofiya
Jul 23, 2013 Sofiya rated it really liked it
A well-paced novel that is easily read, with a lot to say about what makes a life worthy, or what makes a person good. The answers it provides on these points seem to point to personal satisfaction and well-used opportunities, both of which the main character is painfully deficient in. The punchline (there is one!) says everything on this count, and how we ourselves, in many ways, make our own lives a living hell.

Even though the man was condemned to the worst fate imaginable, we feel no sympath
Béatrice
La première partie où le pianiste fait furieusement penser à Samson François (?) est intéressante, la seconde, "au paradis" nettement moins.
Darryl
May 03, 2010 Darryl rated it really liked it
Piano is a quirky but humorous short novel about a renowned concert pianist, beset by alcoholism and stage fright, who dies suddenly at the height of his career. He finds himself in a purgatory that resembles a luxury hotel that is staffed by celebrities. He soon learns his fate, and he is sent to the "urban zone", a Sartrean representation of his former Parisian arrondissement, where he is forbidden to resume his former life or contact anyone he previously knew. The action in Piano drags in a c ...more
Pierre Sabourin
Lisez plutot Je m'en vais ou Ravel du meme auteur.
David
Apr 18, 2016 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little Kafkaesque book about the bureaucracy of death and life unfulfilled. Very french (intended as complement).
Edward
May 15, 2016 Edward added it
Did a review of this book here https://youtu.be/KDcQ1rn2bQ0
Aapo
Mar 23, 2013 Aapo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Onko Keltainen kirjasto nykyään minkäänlainen laadun tae? Tämä ei ainakaan ollut hääppöinen. Parasta tässä oli ranskalainen kepeys, mikä kuitenkin helposti kääntyi joutavanpäiväisyyden puolelle. Tarinassa oli sinänsä vahvoja aineksia, pääosassa kuolemanjälkeinen elämä, mutta lopputulos jäi haaleaksi. Mistä tässä kaikessa oli kysymys, se ei minulle oikein auennut, eikä se oikeastaan kovin paljon kiinnostakaan.

Niin, Pianossa on tämän kirjan suomenkielinen nimi.
Theut
Mar 26, 2013 Theut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bello, bello, bello!
Una scoperta frutto del caso (un consiglio inaspettato in biblioteca) che mi porterà a leggere tutta la sua produzione ;)
E' originale, la scrittura scorre lieve e le tre sezioni, pur con le loro differenze tendono tutte alla conclusione che lascia un po' a bocca aperta.
Rita Halfscatch
Aug 27, 2007 Rita Halfscatch added it
Recommends it for: enemies
Horrible. Utter nonsense.

First half sets up interesting enough character, second half leaves all that behind and we are in the AFTERLIFE in a LONG HALLWAY with DOORS ON EITHER SIDE. This is Freshman level crap, I mean high school freshman, by the way.

I hated this book.
Barbaraehanna
Dec 26, 2011 Barbaraehanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Et voilà pourquoi noël 2011 aura été un peu fatigué. Pas une très bonne idée d'entamer Au piano aux alentours de 22h le 23 avec le grand déjeuner de famille le 24...

Des phrases que c'est délicieux de lire à haute voix, pour le plaisir de les tenir dans la bouche.
Briynne
May 23, 2007 Briynne rated it liked it
Another book I read because I liked the cover - also, I felt like reading something European. Quite a different book, where a French musician tours the underworld in a Dante-esque style. It's a little wierd, but I liked it in general.
Antti Virolainen
Nov 18, 2014 Antti Virolainen rated it really liked it
Tiukkaa, niukkaa, mutta hyvää. Echenoz on ihmeellinen kirjoittaja. Minimalistinen ja outo, mutta siksi kiinnostava kuin mikä. En yleensä pidä tästä aihepiiristä eli kuolemanjälkeisistä mielikuvitusleikeistä. Mutta tässä on poikkeus.
Paul
Jun 19, 2007 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tends towards my odd penchant for quirky little French writers. Echenoz is a lot like a contemporary Raymond Queneau. Do not read the dust jacket of this one, it gives away all but the last ten pages.
Samira Majd
Sep 24, 2014 Samira Majd rated it it was ok
Well, I'm halfway through the book and I feel like time drags. honestly I can't stop thinking why I haven't chosen another book to read! maybe there's a surprise, a hidden message in the end!
Nicole
Apr 13, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ooh-la-la
Oh, those fucking French writers and their beguiling charm. I will carve my baguette into the shape of a pistol and make them hand over some to me, because they have so much of it and I so little.
Chelsea
Aug 16, 2010 Chelsea rated it did not like it
Hated this book. It set up an interesting premise about life and death, but the ending infuriated me. It seemed like self-important and indulgent writing. Boo!
Tim
Mar 31, 2007 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
This book was very well written, if slightly uneven. The twilight zone ending bordered on cheesy but fit the rest of the book nicely.
Edouard
Jul 08, 2012 Edouard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: minuit
"C'est comme ça, voyez-vous, la section urbaine. Ça consiste en ça."
Ryan Kenealy
Dec 07, 2009 Ryan Kenealy rated it did not like it
Not a great book. New twist on Frenchy existentialism.
phoenix
easy to read and interesting, but not exceptional
Katru
Jul 31, 2011 Katru added it
Kummallinen tarina.
Laia
Laia marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Eslam A. suliman
Eslam A. suliman marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
  • Onitsha
  • Paralı Asker
  • The Death of the Author
  • The Opposing Shore
  • Tous les matins du monde
  • Bestiary: Or the Parade of Orpheus
  • The Flanders Road
  • Small Lives
  • Music of a Life
  • Sa Femme
195045
Born December 26 (some sources say 23), 1947, in Orange, France; son of Marc (a psychiatrist) and Annie (an engraver) Echenoz; children: Jerome Arthur. Education: Attended Université d'Aix en Provence and Université de Paris (Sorbonne).
More about Jean Echenoz...