Start by marking “Lincoln on Race & Slavery” as Want to Read:
Lincoln on Race & Slavery

Lincoln on Race & Slavery

Generations of Americans have debated the meaning of Abraham Lincoln's views on race and slavery. He issued the Emancipation Proclamation and supported a constitutional amendment to outlaw slavery, yet he also harbored grave doubts about the intellectual capacity of African Americans, publicly used the n-word until at least 1862, and favored permanent racial segregation. I
Published February 11th 2009 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lincoln on Race & Slavery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lincoln on Race & Slavery

Allen Garvin
Apr 11, 2014 Allen Garvin rated it really liked it
This brief book gathers together almost all Lincoln's writings through his life, public and private, that relate specifically to slavery or race. That alone makes it valuable, though without Lincoln's complete writings available online, in modern edited form, not essential.

However, the introductory by Dr. Gates, is a superb essay on the subject of Lincoln and Slavery, and how contemporary and subsequent African-Americans have dealt with the subject of Lincoln and Race. It's given me a lengthy re
Aug 16, 2009 Jean rated it really liked it
Lincoln on Race and Slavery by Henry Louis Gates Jr.

Henry Louis Gates, Jr. (the Black Harvard professor recently arrested in his own home) has collected and edited speeches and writings of Abraham Lincoln in which Lincoln revealed his contradictory views on race and slavery. He was a cagey politician, by turns an eloquent and folksy speaker, used humor (including racist jokes) to entertain and relate to his audience, wrote the Emancipation Proclamation, doubted the intellectual capacity of Black
Heather Shaw
Feb 11, 2009 Heather Shaw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
For my last year of high school, I moved to a private school, Interlochen Arts Academy, and glutted myself on nonessentials like Aesthetics, British Lit, and Poetry. I also took an American history class, but only because I had to. Like my fourteen-year-old says now, I've been studying American history over and over since second grade… Isn't there anything else?

Well, yes actually, there is. It was in that class, for example, that I first saw the contradictory speeches given by Lincoln during his
Fredrick Danysh
Jan 06, 2015 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: history
According to the author, the popular views of Abraham Lincoln and what he believed about blacks and slavery are wrong. Using Lincoln.s speeches and letters, Lincoln is painted as a racist and white supremest. It also perpetuates the myth that Lincoln freed the slaves with the Emancipation Proclamation. This is an interesting read as it exposes another side of the man.
Jim Lindgren
Feb 01, 2011 Jim Lindgren rated it it was amazing
This was tough to read, both because of the 19th century language but also because it reveals a side of Abraham Lincoln we like to ignore. We like to think he was a man ahead of his time as far as race relations, and this book reveals that he was not.

Anyone who would like a more nuanced view of Lincoln the man, and not the myth, should read this.
Jul 25, 2010 James rated it really liked it
Mostly Lincoln's words with good comments and analysis.
Aug 15, 2009 Ceylontjaya rated it it was amazing
Did Lincoln Free the Slaves?
Deborah Mike
Deborah Mike marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Pretty Boi
Pretty Boi marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Noah Langford
Noah Langford marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Cam marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Missty marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Suzanne Pelton
Suzanne Pelton marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Susan marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
ERIC JACKSON rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Sophia Reyes
Sophia Reyes rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Amelia marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Jennifer Pantega
Jennifer Pantega marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Kent added it
Feb 16, 2016
Kansas is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2016
Danielle Watson
Danielle Watson marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Robert Serrato
Robert Serrato marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Chase wells
Chase wells marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Feydor Bolotnikov
Feydor Bolotnikov marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Caleb marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Haley Hall
Haley Hall is currently reading it
Oct 27, 2015
Ceci marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Keith marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Henry Louis Gates Jr. is a Professor of African and African-American Studies at Harvard University and Director of the W. E. B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research. He is well-known as a literary critic, an editor of literature, and a proponent of black literature and black cultural studies.
More about Henry Louis Gates Jr....