Start by marking “Holy Superheroes!: Exploring Faith and Spirituality in Comic Books” as Want to Read:
Holy Superheroes!: Exploring Faith and Spirituality in Comic Books

Holy Superheroes!: Exploring Faith and Spirituality in Comic Books

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Pulitzer-prize nominee and English professor Greg Garrett explores the deeper side of comic books--and the motion pictures they inspire--for the lessons they can teach us about faith, justice, and redemption.
Paperback, First Edition, 192 pages
Published April 5th 2005 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Superheroes!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Superheroes!

Mark
Apr 07, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, non-fiction
I'll admit when I was first given this book and I read the title, I immediately dismissed it as fluff. Typical judging a book by its cover attitude. However, having grown up an avid comic book collector I cracked it open and was pleasantly surprised. The author knows his comics and touches on most major graphic novels such as Maus, The Watchmen, Road to Perdition, Sandman, V for Vendetta, among many others, and also delves into mainstream DC and Marvel comics. The book's lone appendix "Essential ...more
J.M.
Jun 24, 2009 J.M. rated it liked it
Recommended to J.M. by: my brother
I bought this for my brother one year for his birthday and read it before I gave it to him. It's a very interesting look at how comic books are shaped by the spirituality and faith of those involved in creating them. If you think about it, the majority of mainstream comic books revolve around the classic "good vs. evil" plot, which of course can be seen in all major religions.

I found this book very insightful and interesting, and enjoyed reading the author's views not only exploring how faith a
Amy
Apr 18, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it
Very disappointed in his PC unitarian approach to spirituality.
Jason Klein
Jun 04, 2015 Jason Klein rated it liked it
Wasn't expecting to enjoy this book based on the Christian-spiritual background of the author, but Garrett does a pretty fair job at not making this a completely "Jesus-as-Superhero" event. He's obviously a fan of comics and, despite some moments that were a bit heavy handed, he does a nice job presenting this material in a simple overview.
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Though there was not a whole of new information nor observations here for me, the author does have a way with words. Plus there is something to be said for simple reaffirmation. A couple of small factual errors had me squinting sideways at the pages; but overall the books states its case very well.
EunSung
Mar 26, 2009 EunSung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was a really interesting book that was both social critique, exploration of myth and history in comics, and relating themes in scripture.
Abbie
Sep 05, 2011 Abbie marked it as started-but-never-finished
Started this, but just couldn't get into it. It had a bit more of a religious than academic lens, and just didn't hold my interest.
Lily Bond
Sep 22, 2012 Lily Bond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Read for ECC small group.
Mai Nguyen
Mai Nguyen marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Safraz
Safraz marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
إسلام عماد
إسلام عماد marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Eric M Horowitz
Eric M Horowitz rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Kevin Orth
Kevin Orth marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
B
B rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
au+5amazon.com
au+5amazon.com marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Mouhamed.Niang
Mouhamed.Niang marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Lisa Cacilhas
Lisa Cacilhas marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
SRIGURUKULAM SEC SCHOOL
SRIGURUKULAM SEC SCHOOL rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
Urbe14
Urbe14 added it
Sep 05, 2015
Amy D
Amy D rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Wayne C
Wayne C rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Caitlin Elam
Caitlin Elam marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
May 17, 2015
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Huckleberrie729
Huckleberrie729 rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2016
Greg Garrett
Dec 18, 2014 Greg Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Greg Garrett is the author of novels, including The Prodigal (with Brennan Manning), Free Bird (chosen by Publishers' Weekly and the Denver Rocky Mountain News as one of the best fiction debuts of 2002), Cycling, and Shame, the memoirs Crossing Myself and No Idea, and books on theology, popular culture, politics, and narrative including Entertaining Judgment: The Afterlife in the Popular Imaginati ...more
More about Greg Garrett...