Start by marking “Wycliffe And The Schoolgirls” as Want to Read:
Wycliffe And The Schoolgirls

Wycliffe And The Schoolgirls (Wycliffe #7)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Two very different young women have been murdered within the same week. One was a nightclub singer, the other a nurse, but both were strangled in their own homes in strangely efficient, remarkably similar attacks. The press is quick to assume there's a psychopath on the loose, but Detective Chief Superintendent Wycliffe suspects the truth may be somewhat more complex. When ...more
191 pages
Published (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Wycliffe And The Schoolgirls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wycliffe And The Schoolgirls

Pat
Continuing the mysteries of W. J. Burley...this one is quite a bit different since we know pretty early who the killer is and we are meant to. We can guess the motive, but the details are still fuzzy. We have to follow Wycliffe as he sorts out the problems and slowly comes round to the solution. One of the better ones so far.
Swapna
This is a really nice book in the Wycliffe series – one of the best that I’ve read so far. Even though the killer is known early on, the reader actually sympathises with him and feels that the killings are justified. I was actually disappointed that he couldn’t finish off the last one.
Wonder if the book would have been more interesting if Burley had disclosed the background incident towards the end, rather than beginning with it.
Dave Holcomb
Another of those British mystery novels without a lot of mystery in them: we knew who the killer was pretty much right from the get-go. That said, however, it was still an excellent read; I enjoyed following the two tracks, of killer and of cops, as they slowly converged.
Simon
An almost perfect holiday read. So much development of character and storytelling since the previous ones I read. Seems to me that Colin Dexter and Susan Hill (to name two) have quite a debt to pay. Things they did later - and got credit for - are worked in beautifully here.
Tim
Enjoyable but fairly light mystery thriller. A teenage girl school trip turns into a bullying incident with repercussions years later. Simple for mr wycliffe to solve and no real tension in the tale but good none the less.
Bev
Not one of my favorite Wycliffe novels (and I'm usually a fan). Nasty little story. I feel for the murderer...but a sordid business all the way round.
Cece
Not one of Burley's best. No mystery, really. This one was pure police procedural.
Ceri
This was a bit dated & bit obvious ..... but perfectly good read.
Sooty
Sooty marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Jvtr13
Jvtr13 marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Emily (Em)
Emily (Em) marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Carolynn R
Carolynn R marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Dave Yung
Dave Yung marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Lizzie Jolly
Lizzie Jolly marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
NE
NE added it
Jun 24, 2014
Singl
Singl marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Burley was born in Falmouth, Cornwall. Before he began writing, he was employed in senior management with various gas companies, before giving it up after the Second World War when he obtained a scholarship to study zoology at Balliol College, Oxford. After obtaining an honours degree he became a teacher. Appointed head of biology, first at Richmond & East Sheen County Grammar School in 1953, ...more
More about W.J. Burley...

Wycliffe (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Wycliffe and the Three-Toed Pussy
  • Wycliffe and the Scapegoat
  • Wycliffe in Paul's Court
  • Wycliffe's Wild-Goose Chase
  • Wycliffe and the Beales
Wycliffe and the Quiet Virgin Wycliffe and the Winsor Blue Wycliffe and the Scapegoat Wycliffe in Paul's Court Wycliffe and Death in a Salubrious Place