Start by marking “A Past in Hiding: Memory and Survival in Nazi Germany” as Want to Read:
A Past in Hiding: Memory and Survival in Nazi Germany

A Past in Hiding: Memory and Survival in Nazi Germany

Winner of the Mark Lynton History Prize
A Los Angeles Times Best Book
A Koret Jewish Book Award Finalist

A Past in Hiding is a survivor story and historical investigation that offers new insight into daily life in the Third Reich and the powers and pitfalls of memory. At the outbreak of World War II, Marianne Strauss, the sheltered daughter of well-to-do German Jews, was an o
Published April 6th 2002 by Picador (first published February 2nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Past in Hiding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Past in Hiding

Friederike Knabe
Mar 29, 2017 Friederike Knabe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read and reviewed this book many years ago. It is as important now as then. It has taken a long time to bring the story back into the city where the story started.

A Past in Hiding is the story of Marianne Strauss-Ellenbogen and her extraordinary survival during the Holocaust. Presenting us with one young woman's real life story, Roseman does not paint a picture of a saint but that of a real flesh and blood person who, like us all, had great strengths and also weaknesses. She was, after all, i
Ray
Jan 17, 2008 Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't have alot to add to what has already been said about this gripping work. It is an amazing story that draws you in on several levels: as a case study of Jewish life in germany during the Nazi years; as a touching biographical account of an unique woman; as a reseachers detective story; etc. Genealogists might also be interested in the remarkable ways Roseman ferreted out data.
Bottom line: a remarkable story, very well told. Roseman is an incredible and tenacious researcher, and a pretty d
Charles
May 28, 2013 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii-holocaust
A tour de force of history writing by Mark Roseman, who proves to be an indefatigable sleuth in service of historical truth. Marianne Strauss's amazing survival story is brought to life by Roseman's compassionate, detail-filled writing. The story never bogs down, driven both by Roseman's esteem for his subject and by his conviction in his own necessary role as historian and witness. Beautiful.
Mar 28, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Reads a little to factual for me. I could have done with far less references even though i understand the authors need for them.
Diana
Mar 19, 2017 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an interesting story of a very brave woman who lost her family, but continued to survive in hiding during a dark time in our history. There are lessons to be learned about standing up for what you believe in, for not being afraid to speak out, and for trying to learn from the past even if it is brutal. There are many instances in this book that defy what we have already learned about the holocaust and the survivors.
Kathy Cohen
Mar 22, 2015 Kathy Cohen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read much on this subject in the way of diaries, memoirs, and historical works, I have to say this LA Times Best Nonfiction Book of 2001 was very, very well done. The author, Mark Roseman, is a history professor at the University of Southampton in England. His approach, taking one woman's life story including events during the Holocaust, and putting it through the rigorous verification process and analysis of a historian, is both illuminating and fascinating. The only book I'd compare it ...more
Jennifer Gelert
Feb 19, 2014 Jennifer Gelert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a biography of Marianne who survived WWII by hiding out. We hear of the bravery of those who risked everything to provide her with a place to live, ration cards. We hear how she missed being deported with her family by sneaking out while the Gestapo was giving them a few minutes.

Based on interviews with Marianne, finding letters and documents and interviewing people who knew her, the author was able to piece together a remarkable story. While the horror of living in a concentration camp
Ruby
Jul 09, 2016 Ruby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating story of Holocaust survival. Opportunity to learn more about those who survived and what they went through then and continued to go through as their lives proceeded. I agree with many other reviewers that there was probably more details and archival information than I needed which made it hard to get through at times, but as the author is a historian I get his need to include all that, and certainly appreciated all the hard work and research he did to make this tome happen.
Misti
Jul 18, 2011 Misti rated it liked it
I couldn't decide on a 3 or a four star so I went with a three. lol I thought most of the book was very intriging, but I didn't like the end of it. I was kind of saddened how she lived her life during hiding and after the war. You would think one would be very grateful for someone to hide you when you are jewish and I felt like she didn't care and it was her right to be hidden. I don't know her attitude was just to strong for me I guess.
Phil
Jan 05, 2015 Phil rated it really liked it
The moving story of an admirable, exceptionally intelligent and perceptive German woman's life before, during and after WWII. Well researched and recounted, with the only lowlight coming from the author who, often incredulous, seemed unable or unwilling to take the heroin at her word, making unnecessary inferences better left to the reader. Other than those few instances of projection, a terrifically inspiring read.
Susan
Mar 17, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of the book captivated me.
Later on in this story of how Marianne survived the author became very wordy and lost my interest. I plowed through this as the mystery of this remarkable woman peeked interest. The author was able to research due to saved letters and interviews.
Barbara
Jan 15, 2012 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating story, but told in such drawn out anddrys way I couldbarelygetthroughit.
j
j rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Drew
Drew rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2017
Morgan
Morgan rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Danielle Carrington
Danielle Carrington rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Mary Beth
Mary Beth rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Dain Keating
Dain Keating rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Amelia Wild
Amelia Wild rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2009
Bradley
Bradley rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Ichar
Ichar rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2014
Nattle
Nattle rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2008
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Janine
Janine rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Sue Burke
Sue Burke rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Mark Roseman is an English historian of modern Europe with particular interest in The Holocaust. He received his B.A. at Christ's College, Cambridge, M.A at Cambridge, and his PhD at University of Warwick. As of 2014 he is teaching history at the University of Indiana, Bloomington in the United States of America.
More about Mark Roseman...