Start by marking “A Past in Hiding: Memory and Survival in Nazi Germany” as Want to Read:
A Past in Hiding: Memory and Survival in Nazi Germany
Preview

A Past in Hiding: Memory and Survival in Nazi Germany

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Winner of the Mark Lynton History Prize
A Los Angeles Times Best Book
A Koret Jewish Book Award Finalist

A Past in Hiding is a survivor story and historical investigation that offers new insight into daily life in the Third Reich and the powers and pitfalls of memory. At the outbreak of World War II, Marianne Strauss, the sheltered daughter of well-to-do German Jews, was an o
Published April 6th 2002 by Picador (first published February 2nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Past in Hiding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Past in Hiding

Ray
I don't have alot to add to what has already been said about this gripping work. It is an amazing story that draws you in on several levels: as a case study of Jewish life in germany during the Nazi years; as a touching biographical account of an unique woman; as a reseachers detective story; etc. Genealogists might also be interested in the remarkable ways Roseman ferreted out data.
Bottom line: a remarkable story, very well told. Roseman is an incredible and tenacious researcher, and a pretty d
Kathy Cohen
Having read much on this subject in the way of diaries, memoirs, and historical works, I have to say this LA Times Best Nonfiction Book of 2001 was very, very well done. The author, Mark Roseman, is a history professor at the University of Southampton in England. His approach, taking one woman's life story including events during the Holocaust, and putting it through the rigorous verification process and analysis of a historian, is both illuminating and fascinating. The only book I'd compare it ...more
Charles
A tour de force of history writing by Mark Roseman, who proves to be an indefatigable sleuth in service of historical truth. Marianne Strauss's amazing survival story is brought to life by Roseman's compassionate, detail-filled writing. The story never bogs down, driven both by Roseman's esteem for his subject and by his conviction in his own necessary role as historian and witness. Beautiful.
Jennifer Gelert
This is a biography of Marianne who survived WWII by hiding out. We hear of the bravery of those who risked everything to provide her with a place to live, ration cards. We hear how she missed being deported with her family by sneaking out while the Gestapo was giving them a few minutes.

Based on interviews with Marianne, finding letters and documents and interviewing people who knew her, the author was able to piece together a remarkable story. While the horror of living in a concentration camp
Nigel Hunter
The best way to tell the story of the genocide of six million people is to see it on a personal level. This is a very personal biography of a brave woman and her family.
Misti
I couldn't decide on a 3 or a four star so I went with a three. lol I thought most of the book was very intriging, but I didn't like the end of it. I was kind of saddened how she lived her life during hiding and after the war. You would think one would be very grateful for someone to hide you when you are jewish and I felt like she didn't care and it was her right to be hidden. I don't know her attitude was just to strong for me I guess.
Garghamel
The moving story of an admirable, exceptionally intelligent and perceptive German woman's life before, during and after WWII. Well researched and recounted, with the only lowlight coming from the author who, often incredulous, seemed unable or unwilling to take the heroin at her word, making unnecessary inferences better left to the reader. Other than those few instances of projection, a terrifically inspiring read.
Nigel Hunter
Absolutely brilliant read. The best way to see the effects of the holocaust is to see it at a macro level with very personal stories. This book gives it to you by the bucket load.
Reads a little to factual for me. I could have done with far less references even though i understand the authors need for them.
Barbara
A fascinating story, but told in such drawn out anddrys way I couldbarelygetthroughit.
Booksjc
Booksjc marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Nancy
Nancy added it
Jan 18, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2014
Allison Sugden
Allison Sugden marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Rachel Green
Rachel Green marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Nic Mcphee
Nic Mcphee marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mark Roseman is an English historian of modern Europe with particular interest in The Holocaust. He received his B.A. at Christ's College, Cambridge, M.A at Cambridge, and his PhD at University of Warwick. As of 2014 he is teaching history at the University of Indiana, Bloomington in the United States of America.
More about Mark Roseman...
Villa The Lake The Meeting: Wannsee And The Final Solution Modern Tkinter for Busy Python Developers Generations in Conflict: Youth Revolt and Generation Formation in Germany 1770 1968 Os nazistas e a solução final Shoot to Thrill: The History of Hockey's Shootout