Start by marking “A Past in Hiding: Memory and Survival in Nazi Germany” as Want to Read:
A Past in Hiding: Memory and Survival in Nazi Germany

A Past in Hiding: Memory and Survival in Nazi Germany

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Winner of the Mark Lynton History Prize
A Los Angeles Times Best Book
A Koret Jewish Book Award Finalist

A Past in Hiding is a survivor story and historical investigation that offers new insight into daily life in the Third Reich and the powers and pitfalls of memory. At the outbreak of World War II, Marianne Strauss, the sheltered daughter of well-to-do German Jews, was an o
Published April 6th 2002 by Picador (first published February 2nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Past in Hiding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Past in Hiding

Ray
I don't have alot to add to what has already been said about this gripping work. It is an amazing story that draws you in on several levels: as a case study of Jewish life in germany during the Nazi years; as a touching biographical account of an unique woman; as a reseachers detective story; etc. Genealogists might also be interested in the remarkable ways Roseman ferreted out data.
Bottom line: a remarkable story, very well told. Roseman is an incredible and tenacious researcher, and a pretty d
Jennifer Gelert
This is a biography of Marianne who survived WWII by hiding out. We hear of the bravery of those who risked everything to provide her with a place to live, ration cards. We hear how she missed being deported with her family by sneaking out while the Gestapo was giving them a few minutes.

Based on interviews with Marianne, finding letters and documents and interviewing people who knew her, the author was able to piece together a remarkable story. While the horror of living in a concentration camp
Nigel Hunter
The best way to tell the story of the genocide of six million people is to see it on a personal level. This is a very personal biography of a brave woman and her family.
Misti
I couldn't decide on a 3 or a four star so I went with a three. lol I thought most of the book was very intriging, but I didn't like the end of it. I was kind of saddened how she lived her life during hiding and after the war. You would think one would be very grateful for someone to hide you when you are jewish and I felt like she didn't care and it was her right to be hidden. I don't know her attitude was just to strong for me I guess.
Charles
A tour de force of history writing by Mark Roseman, who proves to be an indefatigable sleuth in service of historical truth. Marianne Strauss's amazing survival story is brought to life by Roseman's compassionate, detail-filled writing. The story never bogs down, driven both by Roseman's esteem for his subject and by his conviction in his own necessary role as historian and witness. Beautiful.
Nigel Hunter
Absolutely brilliant read. The best way to see the effects of the holocaust is to see it at a macro level with very personal stories. This book gives it to you by the bucket load.
Reads a little to factual for me. I could have done with far less references even though i understand the authors need for them.
Barbara
A fascinating story, but told in such drawn out anddrys way I couldbarelygetthroughit.
Allison Sugden
Allison Sugden marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Rachel Green
Rachel Green marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Photo Eclectic
Photo Eclectic marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Nic Mcphee
Nic Mcphee marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Alan
Alan added it
Jul 08, 2014
Daria
Daria marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Seanna Acey
Seanna Acey marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Tami
Tami marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Sean MacKenzie
Sean MacKenzie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Amy Montgomery
Amy Montgomery marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Emma Campbell
Emma Campbell marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Lauren Penrose
Lauren Penrose marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mark Roseman is an English historian of modern Europe with particular interest in The Holocaust. He received his B.A. at Christ's College, Cambridge, M.A at Cambridge, and his PhD at University of Warwick. As of 2014 he is teaching history at the University of Indiana, Bloomington in the United States of America.
More about Mark Roseman...
The Villa, the Lake, the Meeting: Wannsee and the Final Solution Modern Tkinter for Busy Python Developers Generations in Conflict: Youth Revolt and Generation Formation in Germany 1770 1968 Os nazistas e a solução final Shoot to Thrill: The History of Hockey�s Shootout