Start by marking “I Make My Own Rules” as Want to Read:
I Make My Own Rules

I Make My Own Rules

"There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm an innovator."

"Keeping it real ain't about carrying a gun or smoking blunts. It's about being true to yourself and those around you."

"Not every child who's abused has to be a negative statistic. I write this book for anyone who thinks they can make it, to show them they can."

LL Cool J.

Read his story.
Learn from his words.
Mak
Published September 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about I Make My Own Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Make My Own Rules

Winter Sophia Rose
Feb 13, 2015 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Realistic, Engaging & Encouraging! Loved It!
Johnny Duenas
Nov 14, 2016 Johnny Duenas rated it really liked it
This book is dope it talks about LL Cool J's life and how he didn't go clapping people and smoking just because he had a difficult life and how he encourages people and they can do anything they really set they mind to.
Calvin Kenley
Aug 06, 2011 Calvin Kenley rated it did not like it
I got this as kind of a gag gift from my brother in law for Christmas. Seriously, this book is pretty awful, but I had to get through it. LL was kind of responsible for my initial interest in the world of Hip Hop. We never had cable growing up, and some of our family friends, the Morgans, occasionally would give my sister's tapes that had 6 hrs of the Disney Channel or MTV recorded over them. We all got to know those video cassettes pretty well. Most of the stuff on there was Paula Abdul or ...more
Lady Jane
I have not read a book before that had a 'parental advisory' notice-- and since the copy that I picked up is lacking its cover, I had no idea until I hit the chapter that opens with a warning to the reader. I also thought it interesting that there is a child-suitable version available, since any respectable child will immediately find a version with the parental advisory just to see what is missing. I have read books that contained more explicit sexual content, that came with no label, no ...more
Nardsbaby Reader
Jan 07, 2009 Nardsbaby Reader rated it liked it
Uncle L Is Wild

In reading I MAKE MY OWN RULES I found out that LL Cool J, one of the sexiest men ever, faced a lot of trials and tribulations in his life. LL shows true courage as he realizes his life wasn't how it should be and rectified the situations. I loved the honesty as well as the detailed time line and family portraits. LL is not just beautiful to look at he's the complete package!
Hilary
Jul 16, 2007 Hilary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this forever ago, when I was a sophmore in college. He had a rough life, and overcame a lot. Be prepared, he made a LOT of bad unforgivable decisions. The point of the book is to see how he learned from it and overcame them. I couldn't get over how bad he really was and as a result don't really like him that much anymore. But I do respect him admitting it and writing it down to share his story.
Mark Desrosiers
Woah: he used to be a Catholic altar boy too! Definitely read the "dirty" version: even though it's supposed to be a confessional, he offers several decent sex tips. Including the shower-curtain-with-baby-oil which he's frequently mentioned on Conan and the View. I await the next installment.
Blondi Mcleod
May 02, 2015 Blondi Mcleod rated it it was amazing
love the book got to know him a little better and found more respect for him after reading this book.
Kim C-B
Aug 03, 2008 Kim C-B rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Hip Hop
This was a very insightful look into this entertainer's life. I totally enjoyed learning more about LL.
elita
Mar 25, 2007 elita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like LL Cool J, you'll probably enjoy his autobiography. He had a traumatic childhood so there are lots of interesting stories from when he was growing up in Queens and his rise to stardom.
Rushay Booysen
Apr 13, 2010 Rushay Booysen rated it liked it
Good read into LL"s life how he changed def a must read if you a upcoming artist who might face the same trails as a young LL
Jenny
Sep 20, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
my oh my. It has an advisory for a reason. He was blunt and real, and thats what made it a good read.
Jav
Jav rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
Aneisha R. Andrews
Aneisha R. Andrews rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Jeremy Morong
Jeremy Morong rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Tonja
Tonja rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2008
Kato
Kato rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Tony Terry
Tony Terry rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
Sheri-lynn
Sheri-lynn rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2012
Cheryll
Cheryll rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2009
Erin Allen
Erin Allen rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Brian Jones
Brian Jones rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2008
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2007
Miss Brit
Miss Brit rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
May 31, 2016
Jessica Oldham
Jessica Oldham rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2014
Jennifer Dvorak
Jennifer Dvorak rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Raising Kanye
  • Skinny Women Are Evil: Notes of a Big Girl in a Small-Minded World
  • The Ice Opinion: Who Gives a Fuck?
  • Being An Actor
  • Love Don't Live Here No More: Book One of Doggy Tales
  • My Infamous Life: The Autobiography of Mobb Deep's Prodigy
  • Git-R-Done
  • The Blueprint: A Plan for Living Above Life's Storms
  • A Question of Freedom: A Memoir of Learning, Survival, and Coming of Age in Prison
  • Are You Hungry, Dear?
  • Queens Reigns Supreme: Fat Cat, 50 Cent, and the Rise of the Hip Hop Hustler
  • Vampyre: The Terrifying Lost Journal of Dr. Cornelius Van Helsing
James Todd Smith, better known as LL Cool J (short for Ladies Love Cool James) is an American rapper, entrepreneur, and actor.
More about L.L. Cool J....