Barcelona

Barcelona

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Barcelona is Robert Hughes's monumentally informed and irresistibly opinionated guide to the most un-Spanish city in Spain. Hughes scrolls through Barcelona's often violent history; tells the stories of its kings, poets, magnates, and revolutionaries; and ushers readers through municipal landmarks that range from Antoni Gaudi's sublimely surreal cathedral to a postmodern r...more
Published March 9th 1993 by Vintage (first published February 18th 1992)

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónLa catedral del mar by Ildefonso FalconesThe Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz ZafónNada by Carmen LaforetThe Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Best Books Based in Barcelona
7th out of 28 books — 17 voters
Seven Ages of Paris by Alistair HorneLondon by Peter AckroydA History of Venice by John Julius NorwichA Short History of Byzantium by John Julius NorwichLondon by Edward Rutherfurd
Histories of Cities
21st out of 88 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 19, 2007 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
Robert Hughes is a cantacertous art critic who has produced some fine
retrospectives on American and Modern Art. He describes himself primarily a writer who writes about art, which will make sense
after reading Barcelona. This is wonderful combination economic/cultural history of a place that is its own nation. Respectful
but not reverential Hughes examines the economic success of Catalonia and the cultural supportors it spawned. Another important factor for
defining the Catalonia identity is that i...more
Michael
Hughes is a great writer and insightful critic who has penned the ultimate biography of a city that harks back to Roman times and has been completely reinvented itself since the death of Franco, who attempted to crush Catalan culture, language and soul.

That said, his subject is little parochial unless you:

1) Plan to visit Barcelona or know the city well
2) Are a fan of art and architecture criticism

In addition to those two subjects, Hughes' survey is exhaustive, covering literature, agriculture,...more
Daniel
My father is from Barcelona, and most of the family still lives there. I've been multiple times and find the city both utterly absorbing due to its architecture, food, fashion, nightlife, futbol as well as utterly frustrating due to its peoples obsession with the Catalan language and snob-ness because they are from Barca.

This book goes all the way in explaining where the Catalan nationalist sentiment comes from - From it's affinity to republican movements in Northern Europe rather than catholic...more
Malcolm
I have to confess to a gruding respect for Hughes, for his learnedness, his cantankerousness, and his sensitivity to the complexity of aesthetic environments. This is an extremely good outsider's story of Barcelona - a haunting, complex, contradictory city with its history of radical politics (potent anachist and communist histories here), its deepseated reactionary cultural nationalist (there was little 'progressive' about Gaudi), its distinctive architecture, its vibrant districts, and its unc...more
Erik
Interesting history of Barcelona from Roman times up til just before the 1992 Olympics. The most interesting parts of the book are the end where he talks about the Barcelona Art Nouveau and Guadi and the milieu from which they emerged. (Basically there was both a left- and right-wing modernism allied with socialism/anarchism and Catalan nationalism/Catholicsm, respectively, with Gaudi coming from an ultraconservative Catholicism.) I wish it had more illustrations. There were many intriguing work...more
Paula Jorgensen
I just wanted to know a bit more about this city -- and well, now I do. The book reminded me three important things:
1) How much I learned from reading The Fatal Shore before I came to Australia,
2) Why Australians hate their own Robert Hughes (you are too grand and confident a thinker for this flat island, Mate! )
3) This level of information is the difference between a pop song on an ipod and a symphony orchestra

Michael
Despite his admission that this is a "non-scholarly" reading of the city's history, I found it to be exhaustively researched and very comprehensive. This is a terrific starting point for those interested in how Barcelona has evolved into the mysterious and layered city that it is today...or at least in 2000, the last time I was there...
Lisa
Thank you to Troy for recommending this terrific introduction to the history and culture of Barcelona! see http://anzlitlovers.wordpress.com/201...
Caroline
Look, this book is outrageously good. I picked it up in Barcelona for local color and it was just so interesting that I kept reading state-side. Unfortunate that he ends on Gaudi, as I thought that was not his strongest note, but I understand the need to organize it that way. I would love to see this updated after the Olympics and the formation of the EU.

If you are travelling to Barcelona and are a reader -- this is the one. Start before you leave.
Tuck
fantastic bio of a thrilling city. Hughes is a sympathetic, knowledgeable, fun, and good writer and at almost 600 pages you get enough, i do believe. Author Hughes wrote a re-worked version of this in 2004 for a series called "national geographic directions" which is much more manageable for the armchair historian/art/architecture eggheads at 170 pages.
Frank
I bought this after seeing the Woody Allen film Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona. Robert Hughes' writing is always clear, crisp and personal; this book is no exception. It may be a little dense for an overview of the city, but it's a great basis for understanding the historic underpinnings of Catalunya.
Thomas Fortenberry
This is one of my favorite travel books ever. Can't exactly pinpoint why, but this is a wonderful read and one of the most detailed portraits of a city I have ever read. A great mix of now and history -- the art and culture and architecture and people all come alive in these pages.
José
I give this one a 5 because I love the subject of this book. However, be ready to be bombarded with more architectural detail that the average layperson can handle in one sitting. I read this book before, during, and after my visit to this city and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Susana
Lectura obligada para todo el que vaya de viaje a Barcelona. Un excelente compendio de la historia, arquitectura y cultura de la ciudad, descrito con humor, por un confeso enamorado de la ciudad
Sveinung
Wonderfully informative on the history of Barcelona, with a particular focus on art and architecture. It ends before the Spanish civil war, but at 541 pages it's long enough and there are anyway plenty of books on that subject. Quoting folk songs and poetry in abundance, but with a surprisingly scant relieance on anecdote, preferring larger-scale histories, Hughes has done a book that certainly FEELS complete. He writes in a slightly grouchy, no-bullshit tone, dripping with facts, which can be s...more
Mag
A whale of a book, but a very satisfying companion to Catalonian history in general and Barcelona’s story in particular with exquisite chapters on Modernism and Gaudi. Highly recommended if you have a need to be informed. One has to start early, though. I was only halfway through (541 pages in my edition) when I visited Barcelona, and I wish I had read it in its entirety before I got there. I wouldn’t have missed a couple of more obscure modernista places then, and I would have known more about,...more
Edward Amato
Very in depth book and a "must read" for anyone who loves art history, history or architecture who is planning to visit Barcelona. I would not recommend this book for people who are just interested in Barcelona History as it veers off into the arts often and in fine details. It only covers up into the early 20th century and does not cover the Spanish Civil War. My greatest criticism is that a book that discusses the development and growth of a place should be littered with maps, maps maps. I fou...more
Smoothw
Erudite and wide ranging, but a bit of a slog to get through. My previous experience with Robert Hughes was his super awesome history of Prisoner Transportation in Australia, and while I didn't expect that level of craziness in a history focused on art and architecture, I also didn't expect to come away thinking that most of the history of Barcelona is pretty dull. I will certainly take it with me if/when I ever visit Barcelona however, as even though it is twenty years old I am sure it is a ver...more
Bap
Robert Hughes an aulstrlian art critic, historian, is fascinated by Barcelona--its history, art, arcitecture, culture. Spain is the least united country I can think of. Despite centuries of efforts to consolidate and centralize, Catolonia is so not Spain.

Our impressions of Barcelona are forever tainted by that night in the old city, walking with Alice and Brenna, a thief sneaks up and rips Brenna's purse from her and disappears into the labyrinth of the dark twisting streets.
Sam Emory
Robert Hughes is an overwhelming historical name-dropper. His strategy is to drop as many names as possible: figures of actual import, as well as their friends, their parents, their grandparents, their children, their kings, their mayors, their contemporaries and associates, their patrons and benefactors, their detractors, and their priests. The framework within which he attempts to weave this extensive cast of characters into coherency is loose: Barcelona. Still, a good read.
Elizabeth
I've read this in preparation for my trip to Barcelona. It is a history of that city and region (Catalonia) as seen by Robert Hughes. While he's done his research, it's clear it's history through his eyes and mind and he is highly opinionated. It is part of the fun. When it comes to descriptions of architecture and art, he is even more opinionated. But I feel I have a good idea of what the people might be like--although I might have to channel Robert Hughes to really know.

Alex
Jun 29, 2013 Alex rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, spain
This book could use an editor. Unfortunately it got one, and the result, Barcelona: the Great Enchantress, could use beefing up. I'm like Goldilocks with this thing. But seriously, dude bangs on for page after page about buttresses on some church or whatever, jeez.
Kim
I picked this book up because I was missing the wonderful city of Barcelona, and I found it to be a pretty satisfying read. Lots of information, some humor, good rhythm. There were so many people and events included that I'm not sure I remember any of them just a week after finishing the book, but it was entertaining.
David Meléndez Tormen
An astonishing account about a city full of complexities and paradoxes that add to its intriguing beauty. Didn't know about Hughes until I saw a documentary he made about Gaudí and he impressed me a lot. So seeing that he was so enchanted by Barcelona as to write such a thorough book about it was a double pleasure. I really enjoyed this reading, both in style and information.
Carol
Jul 26, 2008 Carol rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carol by: All nonfiction list
This book lost me from the beginning. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood. jst couldn't get interested in Barcelona, the city, at any level. I would say that the writing is okay, some of the stories are historically interesting, but the detail was just too much. The book is too long, and I would have enjoyed more pictures.
Miguel
Es excepcional, la visión deL arte y la cultura catalanas no sólo son sensibles y enciclopedicas, sino necesarias para entender la relación entre los sucesos actuales y la historia de Barcelona, Cataluña y España.
Riley
Barcelona is one of the most beautiful and liveliest cities I've visited. This book focuses on the city's architectural and artistic history, which, unfortunately for me, I didn't find particularly interesting.
Jeremiah Loren
I read this to prepare for our trip to Barcelona. It helped so much to know the history of the city before going. The book is heavy on details and a bit of a slow read but very good.
Architeacher
Hughes' three pages on the life and architecture of Antoni Gaudi may be the most concise and insightful words ever written about Barcelona's architectural counterpart to the Art Nouveau.
Carol
For some reason, I thought this would be a little more about Barcelona and a little less about Robert Hughes. Oh well. Next time I will just look at my own photos of the city.
  • The New Spaniards
  • Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through Spain and Its Silent Past
  • The Spanish Civil War
  • Homage To Barcelona
  • Roads to Santiago
  • The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939
  • A History of Private Life: Passions of the Renaissance (A History of Private Life, #3)
  • Trieste and The Meaning of Nowhere
  • The White Nile
  • In Search Of England
  • The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain
  • Danube: A Sentimental Journey from the Source to the Black Sea
  • The Spanish Civil War: Reaction, Revolution, and Revenge
  • Paris to the Past: Traveling through French History by Train
  • Iberia
  • Tales of the Alhambra
  • Imperial Spain, 1469-1716
  • Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago
Robert Studley Forrest Hughes, AO is an Australian art critic, writer and television documentary maker who has resided in New York since 1970. He was educated at St Ignatius' College, Riverview before going on to study arts and then architecture at the University of Sydney. At university, Hughes associated with the Sydney "Push" – a group of artists, writers, intellectuals and drinkers. Among the...more
More about Robert Hughes...
The Shock of the New The Fatal Shore: The Epic of Australia's Founding Goya Rome: A Cultural, Visual, and Personal History Nothing If Not Critical: Selected Essays on Art and Artists