Start by marking “Edward Thomas on the Countryside: A Selection of His Prose and Verse” as Want to Read:
Edward Thomas on the Countryside: A Selection of His Prose and Verse

Edward Thomas on the Countryside: A Selection of His Prose and Verse

Unknown Binding, 183 pages
Published January 1st 1977 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Edward Thomas on the Countryside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edward Thomas on the Countryside

Brian Robbins
Oct 08, 2012 Brian Robbins rated it really liked it
I bought this book in my teens having very much enjoyed a handful of Thomas’ poems in an anthology of 20th Century poetry. Opening this collection, I found some of his pieces on the countryside, particularly those filled with images of wild plants & trees, to be equivalent to something written in a foreign language.

“… shoots of many plants peep through the dropped leaves out of the cold earth. Deeply lobed foliage of celandine springs in plenty by the ditch side, and with its palest green o
Sheri
Dec 03, 2014 Sheri rated it it was amazing
I just started rereading this. I'd bought a used copy in London in the 1980s, and adored it. The essays, meditations are beautiful. I've only so far reread a few of the ones in the section titled "Roads and Footpaths," but I love him all over again.

Dec 2014: I haven't abandoned this, as it is something I've referred back to for so long, but I've received a slew of library books and birthday books, do I don't know that I'll return to it anytime soon as an entity (I'll probably jut read an essay
Andrew Darling
Andrew Darling rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Jolinda
Jolinda rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Eduardo
Eduardo rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2009
Joan Elizabeth
Joan Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2014
Andrew Darling
Andrew Darling rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2012
Janis
Janis marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Janis
Janis marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Atifa
Atifa marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Kate Goodrum
Kate Goodrum marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
CQM
CQM marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Michael Rafferty
Michael Rafferty marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
David Smith
David Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2016
204916
Philip Edward Thomas was an Anglo-Welsh writer of prose and poetry. He is commonly considered a war poet, although few of his poems deal directly with his war experiences. Already an accomplished writer, Thomas turned to poetry only in 1914. He enlisted in the army in 1915, and was killed in action during the Battle of Arras in 1917, soon after he arrived in France.

His Works:

Poetry collections:

Si
More about Edward Thomas...