Start by marking “People Styles at Work... and Beyond: Making Bad Relationships Good and Good Relationships Better” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Why is it so hard to work well with some people? "People Styles at Work...and Beyond" presents a comprehensive, practical, and proven method readers can use to: - recognize how they come across to other coworkers - read others' body language and behavior to identify the best ways to work with them - make small adjustments that will dramatically increase the quality and pro ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by AMACOM/American Management Association (first published March 31st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about People Styles at Work... and Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Styles at Work... and Beyond

I expected to love this book. A personality assessment that can be done objectively? Based on behavior? So that you can actually label the people around you and alter your behavior accordingly?! This is the major downfall of Meyers-Briggs and similar assessments and so I had high hopes for People Styles.

The information seems solid, and the criteria are simple enough to understand. The authors even include a section on how to flex to each type for every other type--a clear cut practical guide.

Many of us have taken personality tests, such as Myers-Briggs, for the workplace. People Styles takes a different angle on the concept. Rather than worry too much about what makes you tick, the focus is on how you communicate with other people. The authors boil communications styles to four basic types: Drivers, Analytics, Emotives, and Amiables.

The practical takeaway is beyond simply understanding which style you fall into, but rather how you should communicate with those of the other styles. T
Richard Still
The model they are describing is psychometrically sound, my company developed a personality test around this model and it's valid, though we did change the orientation of the styles to fit with some of our other tests.
The test in the book is only so-so, but the real value here is in the practical advice. Learning to identify someone *else's* style and having a good map for understanding how to form your words to fit in their head is great.
I read this book in 2008 and I cannot count the number of
Dave B.
Mr and Mrs Bolton wrote a very helpful book on social interaction. As a business person looking for the most effective way to communicate with others, I found this book very helpful. It was more then just catch phases or the new mamagement terms. This book provides real application and improved understanding of self. This book will have a permanent impact on my professional life. Highly recommended!
Probably good as a quick guide, but almost seems like a one or two dimenensional impression. I found it an interesting read, but I feel like it would take knowing people more in depth to be abke to flex to them effectively.
This book, at times, feels like it isn't grounded in current research (it's a little on the old side), makes sweeping generalizations with little to no support, and occasionally makes an insightful observation. The difficulty lies in separating the wheat from the chaff. Although I got a few helpful tidbits from this book I can't recommend it.
Okay, okay, I know we're all sick of self-help books - but if, like me, you're stuck with having to navigate through the corporate world - this book could be a significant asset. Doesn't ask you to analyze everyone you work with on an emotional level - just gives great rules of thumb...
Best book on work and people. No psychology degree is required to get along with people. Observe the behavior of others and then adjust yours. Easier said than done but the insights have been a huge help to me both at work and personally.
Lynsey Mulder
Great book to understand how to best communicate with others, at home or at work. I am going to use this book for a team building event in my office because I think it is an understanding that everyone could use.
Great book. It was pretty spot on with a lot of things! I do plan to refer back to it from time to time to try to implement some of the advice on how to work with different styles.
Excellent resource re: personality styles. Gives you a simple yet powerful and effective way to evaluate a person's style and understand how to interact effectively.
This had good guidelines to help me identify as Expressive, how to identify other's types, and how to best interact with all of the types.
Very interesting study about why people act like they do. The styles each of us use affect everything about us.
It was alright for a self help book. I read it for Interpersonal Realationships. A class I took this year
Very insightful and useful for business and personal relationships.
Good construct and ideas. Summary is all you need.
Grandesuperleo marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Tiffany Bangerter olson
Tiffany Bangerter olson is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2015
Britzsp marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Maria Shorter
Maria Shorter marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Ravindra Bhat
Ravindra Bhat is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2015
Laura is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2015
João Lucas
João Lucas marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Nancie added it
Oct 14, 2015
Miêu Tặc
Miêu Tặc marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Raghvendra Bajpai
Raghvendra Bajpai is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2015
  • He's Scared, She's Scared: Understanding the Hidden Fears That Sabotage Your Relationships
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • You're Hired: How to Succeed in Business and Life from the Winner of The Apprentice
  • Co-Active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and, Life
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • The Time Trap
  • Winning Decisions: Getting It Right the First Time
  • The Girl with the Gallery: Edith Gregor Halpert And the Making of the Modern Art Market
  • The Art of Significance: Achieving the Level Beyond Success
  • Leadership in Organizations
  • The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
  • From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership
  • Helping: How to Offer, Give, and Receive Help
  • Why "A" Students Work for "C" Students and "B" Students Work for the Government: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Education for Parents
  • Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »