Start by marking “People Styles at Work... and Beyond: Making Bad Relationships Good and Good Relationships Better” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Why is it so hard to work well with some people? "People Styles at Work...and Beyond" presents a comprehensive, practical, and proven method readers can use to: - recognize how they come across to other coworkers - read others' body language and behavior to identify the best ways to work with them - make small adjustments that will dramatically increase the quality and pro ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by AMACOM/American Management Association (first published March 31st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about People Styles at Work... and Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Styles at Work... and Beyond

Richard Still
Aug 21, 2014 Richard Still rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The model they are describing is psychometrically sound, my company developed a personality test around this model and it's valid, though we did change the orientation of the styles to fit with some of our other tests.
The test in the book is only so-so, but the real value here is in the practical advice. Learning to identify someone *else's* style and having a good map for understanding how to form your words to fit in their head is great.
I read this book in 2008 and I cannot count the number of
Amanda
I expected to love this book. A personality assessment that can be done objectively? Based on behavior? So that you can actually label the people around you and alter your behavior accordingly?! This is the major downfall of Meyers-Briggs and similar assessments and so I had high hopes for People Styles.

The information seems solid, and the criteria are simple enough to understand. The authors even include a section on how to flex to each type for every other type--a clear cut practical guide.

Th
Michael
May 23, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Many of us have taken personality tests, such as Myers-Briggs, for the workplace. People Styles takes a different angle on the concept. Rather than worry too much about what makes you tick, the focus is on how you communicate with other people. The authors boil communications styles to four basic types: Drivers, Analytics, Emotives, and Amiables.

The practical takeaway is beyond simply understanding which style you fall into, but rather how you should communicate with those of the other styles. T
Dave B.
Mr and Mrs Bolton wrote a very helpful book on social interaction. As a business person looking for the most effective way to communicate with others, I found this book very helpful. It was more then just catch phases or the new mamagement terms. This book provides real application and improved understanding of self. This book will have a permanent impact on my professional life. Highly recommended!
Linda
Probably good as a quick guide, but almost seems like a one or two dimenensional impression. I found it an interesting read, but I feel like it would take knowing people more in depth to be abke to flex to them effectively.
Jeff
Apr 15, 2014 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book, at times, feels like it isn't grounded in current research (it's a little on the old side), makes sweeping generalizations with little to no support, and occasionally makes an insightful observation. The difficulty lies in separating the wheat from the chaff. Although I got a few helpful tidbits from this book I can't recommend it.
Carolee
Sep 12, 2007 Carolee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Okay, okay, I know we're all sick of self-help books - but if, like me, you're stuck with having to navigate through the corporate world - this book could be a significant asset. Doesn't ask you to analyze everyone you work with on an emotional level - just gives great rules of thumb...
Aug 30, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on work and people. No psychology degree is required to get along with people. Observe the behavior of others and then adjust yours. Easier said than done but the insights have been a huge help to me both at work and personally.
Lynsey Mulder
Jun 12, 2008 Lynsey Mulder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Great book to understand how to best communicate with others, at home or at work. I am going to use this book for a team building event in my office because I think it is an understanding that everyone could use.
Maame
Jun 28, 2016 Maame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. it help me understand my working style a lot better and also helped me understand my working relationships with my coworkers and how I can successfully communicate with my boss.
Michel
Jun 19, 2013 Michel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. It was pretty spot on with a lot of things! I do plan to refer back to it from time to time to try to implement some of the advice on how to work with different styles.
Laurie
May 29, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource re: personality styles. Gives you a simple yet powerful and effective way to evaluate a person's style and understand how to interact effectively.
yoli
Aug 07, 2015 yoli rated it really liked it
This had good guidelines to help me identify as Expressive, how to identify other's types, and how to best interact with all of the types.
Edb
Apr 26, 2009 Edb rated it really liked it
Very interesting study about why people act like they do. The styles each of us use affect everything about us.
Chrissy
It was alright for a self help book. I read it for Interpersonal Realationships. A class I took this year
Jason
Jun 14, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful and useful for business and personal relationships.
Timon
Mar 10, 2014 Timon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Good construct and ideas. Summary is all you need.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Warren Gorton
Warren Gorton marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Luislc
Luislc marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Zoomis
Zoomis marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Lindsay Utz
Lindsay Utz marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Carolyn Weiss
Carolyn Weiss rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Gil Jardine
Gil Jardine rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
ThuanKS
ThuanKS rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Anne Decker
Anne Decker marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Marcell
Marcell marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Busola
Busola marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
  • He's Scared, She's Scared: Understanding the Hidden Fears That Sabotage Your Relationships
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • Legal Guide for Starting & Running a Small Business
  • You're Hired: How to Succeed in Business and Life from the Winner of The Apprentice
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Co-Active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and, Life
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • Mastering Communication at Work: How to Lead, Manage, and Influence
  • Paradigms: The Business of Discovering the Future
  • Bridges Not Walls: A Book About Interpersonal Communication
  • The Drucker Lectures : Essential Lessons on Management, Society and Economy
  • Dinosaur Brains: Dealing with All THOSE Impossible People at Work
  • The ABCs of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »