Programming Scala

Programming Scala

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Scala is an exciting, modern, multi-paradigm language for the JVM. You can use it to write traditional, imperative, object-oriented code. But you can also leverage its higher level of abstraction to take full advantage of modern, multicore systems. Programming Scala will show you how to use this powerful functional programming language to create highly scalable, highly con...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published March 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Scala, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Scala

Rod Hilton
I have enjoyed Venkat's other books in the past, but I felt that Programming Scala was easily his weakest.

One thing about introducing Scala to programmers is that the author must introduce both functional programming as well as Scala's syntax. Many times, it felt like Venkat forgot that both concepts were likely new to readers. A few places, he provided an example in Scala code to introduce a functional programming construct but made no attempt to explain the syntax of the example. This made lea...more
Jonathan
I did not like the structure of this book much at all. I think it showed a lot of bad features of scala early in the book. this is a problem because they hadn't shown us any of the good features yet, so it created a very bad first impression of the language. I think it would have been much better to leave the warts to an appendix or the inter-op with java chapter.

I also did not like that the book did not build up a sample application throughout the whole book, by using new features as they are...more
Denis
Feb 09, 2013 Denis added it
Published almost 3 years ago, this book is still arguably the best introductory read on Scala. Not pretending to be a comprehensive guide, it provides a reader with a brief well-structured overview of the main Scala features. Comparing to the author of the O'Reilly book, which is OK too, Venkat is obviously more fond of Scala idioms and shows good examples of functional style code. To sum up, if you are going to learn Scala, read this book first.
Kimberly Grommes
I had been studying scala for a while and then got busy with life. The first book I read was the Artima book. The Artima book is very good, but it's very detailed. Reading this book gave me a high level overview of everything as a reminder. It was a quick and easy read and it served exactly the purpose I was hoping it would serve. I now feel like I can dive back in and quickly get going again.
Ryan  O'Neill
"Scala is a wonderful language which I am currently learning at a rapid pace. This book served as a simple introduction and no more. It is geared directly to existing Java Developers and not the programming community as a whole. For someone looking to get a quick overview of Scala, this book is not bad. For someone looking for more meat there are other options. Mild Recommendation"
Gergely
Not a bad intro to Scala, but it is getting a bit dated, as the language changes quite quickly. Some good examples, and some weird ones too (e.g. I think there's just too much XML processing in there for this day and age, though maybe it's just that I'm hanging out with a different programmer crowd). Would recommend checking it out, though not relying on it for learning Scala.
Lars Westergren
A decent introductory book, but the "Programming in Scala" book goes much more in depth. Also, the chapter on Actors and concurrency is the weakest, which is unfortunate considering the subtitle of the book. The Actors code examples look like the author copy&pasted example code from the net and modified it without completely understanding what he was doing.

Jesús Navarrete
It is a very interesting book to start with Scala when you are a Java Developer. Concise, easy to read and clear. Very recommendable to read as first Scala book.
Situagent
A very clearly written book, providing a lot of insight in an efficient way. If you are interested in Scala, this is not a bad book to start with.
Luca Campobasso
It's very nice as theoretical book, but I expect to find, usually some kind of exercise! As an introductory book, it should have.
Wojtek Gawroński
Wojtek Gawroński marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Carson Baker
Carson Baker marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Piotr Banasik
Piotr Banasik is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2014
Ryan Linton
Ryan Linton marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Danilo
Danilo is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2014
Sripriya Thirumeni
Sripriya Thirumeni marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Kamila Turek
Kamila Turek marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Peter Prokop
Peter Prokop marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World Programming Concurrency on the JVM Programming Groovy Programming Groovy 2 Functional Programming in Java: Harnessing the Power of Java 8 Lambda Expressions