Start by marking “Programming Scala” as Want to Read:
Programming Scala

Programming Scala

Scala is an exciting, modern, multi-paradigm language for the JVM. You can use it to write traditional, imperative, object-oriented code. But you can also leverage its higher level of abstraction to take full advantage of modern, multicore systems. Programming Scala will show you how to use this powerful functional programming language to create highly scalable, highly con ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published March 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Scala, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Scala

Rod Hilton
Feb 04, 2010 Rod Hilton rated it liked it
I have enjoyed Venkat's other books in the past, but I felt that Programming Scala was easily his weakest.

One thing about introducing Scala to programmers is that the author must introduce both functional programming as well as Scala's syntax. Many times, it felt like Venkat forgot that both concepts were likely new to readers. A few places, he provided an example in Scala code to introduce a functional programming construct but made no attempt to explain the syntax of the example. This made lea
Jonathan
Oct 09, 2009 Jonathan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
I did not like the structure of this book much at all. I think it showed a lot of bad features of scala early in the book. this is a problem because they hadn't shown us any of the good features yet, so it created a very bad first impression of the language. I think it would have been much better to leave the warts to an appendix or the inter-op with java chapter.

I also did not like that the book did not build up a sample application throughout the whole book, by using new features as they are
Denis
Feb 09, 2013 Denis added it
Published almost 3 years ago, this book is still arguably the best introductory read on Scala. Not pretending to be a comprehensive guide, it provides a reader with a brief well-structured overview of the main Scala features. Comparing to the author of the O'Reilly book, which is OK too, Venkat is obviously more fond of Scala idioms and shows good examples of functional style code. To sum up, if you are going to learn Scala, read this book first.
Ryan  O'Neill
Feb 20, 2012 Ryan O'Neill rated it liked it
"Scala is a wonderful language which I am currently learning at a rapid pace. This book served as a simple introduction and no more. It is geared directly to existing Java Developers and not the programming community as a whole. For someone looking to get a quick overview of Scala, this book is not bad. For someone looking for more meat there are other options. Mild Recommendation"
Gergely
Jun 05, 2011 Gergely rated it liked it
Not a bad intro to Scala, but it is getting a bit dated, as the language changes quite quickly. Some good examples, and some weird ones too (e.g. I think there's just too much XML processing in there for this day and age, though maybe it's just that I'm hanging out with a different programmer crowd). Would recommend checking it out, though not relying on it for learning Scala.
Kimberly Grommes
Jan 21, 2010 Kimberly Grommes rated it it was amazing
I had been studying scala for a while and then got busy with life. The first book I read was the Artima book. The Artima book is very good, but it's very detailed. Reading this book gave me a high level overview of everything as a reminder. It was a quick and easy read and it served exactly the purpose I was hoping it would serve. I now feel like I can dive back in and quickly get going again.
Lars Westergren
Apr 20, 2010 Lars Westergren rated it liked it
A decent introductory book, but the "Programming in Scala" book goes much more in depth. Also, the chapter on Actors and concurrency is the weakest, which is unfortunate considering the subtitle of the book. The Actors code examples look like the author copy&pasted example code from the net and modified it without completely understanding what he was doing.

Daniel Aarno
Oct 10, 2014 Daniel Aarno rated it really liked it
Concise and to the point - unlike many other books on programming. Actually this is NOT a book on program; it is a book on programming scala for people who already know how to write software.
Situagent
Feb 08, 2011 Situagent rated it really liked it
A very clearly written book, providing a lot of insight in an efficient way. If you are interested in Scala, this is not a bad book to start with.
Luca Campobasso
Aug 10, 2013 Luca Campobasso rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
It's very nice as theoretical book, but I expect to find, usually some kind of exercise! As an introductory book, it should have.
Jesús Navarrete
Dec 20, 2011 Jesús Navarrete rated it really liked it
It is a very interesting book to start with Scala when you are a Java Developer. Concise, easy to read and clear. Very recommendable to read as first Scala book.
Bill de hÓra
Bill de hÓra rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2014
Eric Hubbard
Eric Hubbard rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Lyle
Lyle rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2010
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2013
Pablo Betancor
Pablo Betancor rated it did not like it
Apr 24, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
George Leontiev
George Leontiev rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Neuro
Neuro rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2010
Gene Tani
Gene Tani rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Sergey
Sergey rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Andrzej
Andrzej rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Nicholas Quirk
Nicholas Quirk rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Spencer
Spencer rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Steve Corona
Steve Corona rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Joaquim Massapina
Joaquim Massapina rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Väinö Leppänen
Väinö Leppänen rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2012
David Sergey
David Sergey rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Ivano
Ivano rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Juliano
Juliano rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2013
  • Code Simplicity: The Fundamentals of Software
  • Real World Haskell: Code You Can Believe In
  • Programming in Haskell

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »