Start by marking “Tacitus: Great Books of the Western World 15” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Tacitus: Great Books o...

Tacitus

Tacitus: Great Books of the Western World 15

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Great Books of the Western World
54 volume set
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Editor in Chief
Published 1952 by William Benton, Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc. (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Tacitus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tacitus

Gretchen
Aug 05, 2015 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woo-hoo, I finally finished this book! It took me awhile because it is jam-packed with people, and information, and all kinds of stuff about the Roman Empire circa 14-70 AD. Tacitus describes all kind of things that went on during this time frame, and it was really interesting to see how the Roman culture was then. For instance, it was commonly accepted that if you had disgraced yourself (even if you hadn't actually but someone accused you), it was best to commit suicide. That was considered the ...more
Rutger
Sep 03, 2012 Rutger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Along with Thucydides, Tacitus is the greatest historian ever. I say this with full knowledge of modern historical writing's achievements. Like no other historian, Tacitus grasps the essence of authoritarian politics and the wretched state of man's soul.
Andrew
Mar 09, 2014 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It took me forever to get through this ancient Roman text that covers the period between the end of the reign of Augustus and the beginning of the reign of Vespasian. The reigns of Tiberius, Claudius, Caligula, Nero, Galba, Otho and Vitellius are also covered. At times, Tacitus seemed to merely be cataloguing the various accusations and trials in the Senate that were the petty disputes between Senators vying for prominence and imperial favor. However, in other parts it was an exciting story of i ...more
Shawn
Apr 28, 2011 Shawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covering the Roman Empire from 14 - 70 AD, the translation and writing was superb for something from almost 2,000 years ago. However, there were hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people from that time that was covered with very little introcution of who they were, how they got where they were, etc. Senators, gladiators, centurians, emperors, etc. As a result, it was very difficult to follow.
I liken it to someone writing a 500 page book regarding everybody in Congress today, and then having
Colin Brown
Feb 01, 2014 Colin Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good to read after I, Claudius or before- ideal supplement for the First Five although missing the most interesting parts of Claudius' reign.
Dakota
Aug 02, 2015 Dakota marked it as partially-read  ·  review of another edition
Books I-VI, XIII-XV. Lots of depressing material, but the presentation (and especially juxtaposition) of events is often enjoyable.
Autumn
Jun 24, 2009 Autumn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
too sweeping a history for me, without enough excitement to keep me fully engaged. there were some fun moments, though, and i appreciated occasionally running into a familiar name or event. that it ended with a foray into anti-semitism was an unexpected treat (um, what?).

my next metro read- 'something i should have read in college but didn't 101'- will be something slightly less ambitious, so it won't take quite so long, i hope.
Masen Production
“I finally read Tacitius... I feel blessed. Historian who has penned down memoirs of Roman greatness post Augustus era. BRILLIANT !!!! He took me back 2000years to the Great Rome, fantastic feeling of I have read a book that was penned 2000 years back and which has been read by other great luminaries of literature post that. For serious history buffs.....”
Jhsmith111
You are going to have to take it slow reading this...very heavy, but well worth your time. Probably not a good book for people with ADD.
Heather Domin
Re-reading for research. Tacitus isn't my favorite, but he usually has just the information I need.
Olivia
Dec 04, 2012 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cynical, concise and fascinating. The original 'Game of Thrones'!
Robert
Jun 17, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating history of the Caesars.
Elroy Jetson
Elroy Jetson marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
J. Robert Larmer
J. Robert Larmer marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Alias
Alias marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Jack
Jack added it
Jun 03, 2016
Meganvansipe
Meganvansipe marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Tyler Wiegman
Tyler Wiegman marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
mjg300
mjg300 marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Wisse
Wisse marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Michael Whitworth
Michael Whitworth marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Rajas Pargaonkar
Rajas Pargaonkar marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Baque Wiggin
Baque Wiggin marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Cobagibu
Cobagibu marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Unruly Boss
Unruly Boss marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Karin Forno
Karin Forno marked it as to-read
Dillon Hill
Dillon Hill marked it as to-read
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
  • The Geometry of René Descartes: with a Facsimile of the First Edition
  • Plutarch's Lives, Vol 2
  • Epitome of Copernican Astronomy and Harmonies of the World
  • Parmenides (Philosophical Library)
  • The Lincoln-Douglas Debates
  • A History of Private Life: From Pagan Rome to Byzantium
  • The Classical World: An Epic History from Homer to Hadrian
  • A Study of History, Abridgement of Vols 1-6
  • Lives of the Later Caesars
  • From the Fires of Revolution to the Great War (A History of Private Life, #4)
  • Passions of the Renaissance (A History of Private Life, #3)
  • On Duties (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
Publius (or Gaius) Cornelius Tacitus (ca. AD 56 – ca. AD 117) was a senator and a historian of the Roman Empire. The surviving portions of his two major works—the Annals and the Histories—examine the reigns of the Roman Emperors Tiberius, Claudius, Nero and those who reigned in the Year of the Four Emperors. These two works span the history of the Roman Empire from the death of Augustus in AD 14 t ...more
More about Tacitus...