Beloved Chicago Man: Letters To Nelson Algren 1947 64

Beloved Chicago Man: Letters To Nelson Algren 1947 64

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Simone de Beauvoir met Nelson Algren in Chicago in February 1947, when a mutual friend arranged for him to serve as her tour guide for two days. The attraction was immediate, and within two months they were in love. Because Algren was so alien to de Beauvoir's world, she spent time describing events and people to him she might otherwise have taken for granted. The result i...more
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Beloved Chicago Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beloved Chicago Man

Carol
A literary monument to the idea that distance lends enchantment, Simone de Beauvoir's letters to Nelson Algren are a reminder that sex and longing are universal and timeless. De Beauvoir met Algren in the late 1940s, and was taken by him. Why? Who knows. Algren was no Jack Kerouac, no dark-haired lovely with a wandering spirit and a taste for adventure. In fact, Algren was the poet of Polacks, the bard of what we now call Bucktown (stop me, please...). De Beauvoir was the French feminist, the el...more
Agnès
Beauvoir in love, writing to Algren in Chicago from 1947 to the early 60's. She tells him about her friends in Paris, about post-war France, describes the strong opposition between gaullists and communists, explains how Sartre is preparing his next play, summarises her ongoing work and her aspirations. It is also a very lively historical lesson on the Cold War. A wonderful read!
I still pick up this book from time to time. It is one of my delights to read letters and these are exceptional. I suppose the fact that I bought the book this past fall (2006) may be due to the fact that she is writing to her love in Chicago!

I was slightly disappointed that Nelson Algren's letters were not included in this collection. It is frustrating at times to read only the one side of the conversation.

Still a wonderful read for those interested in France, Chicago, and the thoughts of Ms. S...more
Ellen
Al jaren in huis, naar aanleiding van een column van Frits Abrams in de NRC eindelijk gelezen. De Beauvoir is een nare, op iedere vrouw afgunstige salonsocialist, maar wat een geweldig tijdsbeeld!
Annie
Jan 30, 2014 Annie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
maybe someday I will finish this but 560 pages of one-sided, utterly BESOTTED letters (something about Algren's estate not releasing, his, I guess? ANYWAY) by De Beauvoir of all people is incredibly dispiriting.

Not to hate on Love, or anything, but if one of you fuckheads ever publishes MY love letters my banshee will haunt you unto death.
Alex Pantoja
Ainda estou no começo, mas desde o início me deixou bastante curioso o lado "romântico" da autora, e principalmente o nível de envolvimento que teve com Algren. Literalmente uma mulher apaixonada...
Debbie
Thoughtful, dedicated and entirely too close to home. Simone's letters to Algren shine. I think this would appeal to anyone negotiating long distance love, or who is a fan of reading / writing letters.
Cherie
A Wonderful love letters to Nelson Algren, who she had a passionate and bizarre love affair. As usual, I'm baffled how she can balance love for Sartre and others (in this case, Algren), but beautiful.
Jimmy
...one goes through different kinds of love experiences - and the distant ones or yet the forbidden ones... are hard; hard ones to endure; but much more passionate...
Anne
Giving hope to women that true love really can be found at any age. Read it when you're feeling down about not having found the "one."
Kristy
I can't give this 5 stars because it doesn't have Nelson's letters, but wow, girl was romantic.
Ilene
For anyone SMART who has been in a LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP. 'nuff said.
Denise
Algreen, le grand amour et la passion de De Beauvoir
Gillian
Such a beautiful love story and lesson in friendship.
Hala
Hala marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Kite
Kite is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Belisama
Belisama marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Mariel Escalera
Mariel Escalera marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Gabriela Stanciu
Gabriela Stanciu marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Arielle
Arielle marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ana Erakovic
Ana Erakovic marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Anne
Anne added it
Jul 12, 2014
  • Simone de Beauvoir: A Biography
  • Chicago: City on the Make
  • Clever Maids: The Secret History of the Grimm Fairy Tales
  • Tête-à-Tête: The Tumultuous Lives and Loves of Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre
  • The Right to Be Lazy
  • Climbing High: A Woman's Account of Surviving the Everest Tragedy
  • Gold: Being the Marvellous History of General John Augustus Sutter
  • Ticknor: A Novel
  • Living by Fiction
"Simone de Beauvoir was a French author and philosopher. She wrote novels, monographs on philosophy, politics, and social issues, essays, biographies, and an autobiography. She is now best known for her metaphysical novels, including She Came to Stay and The Mandarins, and for her 1949 treatise The Second Sex, a detailed analysis of women's oppression and a foundational tract of contemporary femin...more
More about Simone de Beauvoir...
The Second Sex Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter The Ethics of Ambiguity The Mandarins The Woman Destroyed