Start by marking “Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1: If Looks Could Kill” as Want to Read:
Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1: If Looks Could Kill

Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1: If Looks Could Kill (Cable & Deadpool #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  1,876 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Wade Wilson and Nathan Summers - Marvel's mightiest mutant mercs - are back, and this time they're stuck with each other. Can two grown men armed to the teeth with deadly genetic weaponry live together without driving each other crazy? Action, adventure, black humor, black-ops, face-changing viruses, gratuitous France-bashing and lots of gunfire mark the return of two of ...more
Published January 24th 2007 by Marvel (first published November 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1

Roxanne
Aug 12, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
I completely forgot about these and only reminded i even had them since they announced another cable & deadpool series, and i haven't even read these volumes yet urgh, don't bother getting into comics it's never bloody ending...okay tantrum over and yes get into comics just expect to be poor forever and everyone telling you to shut the hell up about them.
This is pretty funny deadpool is on form, cable takes a while to warm up to unless you're a huge cable fan, also the image of him vomiting
Praiz Sophyronja
I laughed a lot, Deadpool is hilarious! So much cynicism portrayed through one character, even the errrm... whatever-the-comic-book-equivalent-of-a-prose is enticing to read. This is my first Deadpool experience and I adored it! Cable and Deadpool are such opposites and the combo really works. Interesting ending in this volume with the X-Men cameo too, will have to carry on reading...
Speedtribes
Nov 27, 2007 Speedtribes rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, bromance
I decided to give this series a try despite the first few frightful sets of Liefield covers -- and I was glad that I did so. At times hilarious, at times heartfelt, this is a tale of "We-are-not-at-all-best-friends-and-we-certainly-don't-platonically-love-each-other" odd-straight-man passionate friendship/bonding between a delusional man and a psychopath.

I read this without knowledge of either Cable or Deadpool's canon and past histories, and going back to read them-- I found this current incarn
Zala
This was kind of nice but weird as hell...
And as I've already mentioned it's more about Cable than it is about Deadpool.

But this:
description
All those funny comments, hilarious sceenes and ironic outcomes make me rethink my rating.

Nevertheless, I didn't really like this Wade...that much.

A great Cable comic but a rather bad Deadpool comic.

[image error]
Mike
Aug 12, 2010 Mike rated it liked it
Having read the later works and really enjoyed them (laugh out loud funny), the early Cable/Deadpool seems tame by comparison. Decent writing, interesting/creative storyline, but somehow left me feel... wanting.
Erica
Feb 23, 2016 Erica rated it it was amazing
Herman Gigglethorpe
Cable and Deadpool: If Looks Could Kill is highly recommended for all fans of Deadpool, and is a good introduction to Cable.

Deadpool begins the story by accepting a contract from the One World Church, even though he is normally suspicious of religion (and thinks the U.S. is at war with France). He finds out that all the members are blue-skinned, because they believe that racism can be eliminated if everyone looks the same. To accomplish this goal on a global scale, Deadpool needs to steal the F
Brandon
Aug 05, 2008 Brandon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Marvel comics (particularly either of the two titular characters)
Shelves: own
Deadpool is certifiably insane and my absolute favorite character in the Marvel universe; Cable is one of the most powerful mutants who's existed and desires to use his powers for the good of mankind. Together, they form Marvel's ultimate odd couple. I'm sure who's idea it originally was to bring these two together for a shared title but I am so thankful they did. The first volume collects the initial six issues of the series which centers on a mysterious virus being manufactured by a German ...more
Megan
Jan 24, 2016 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: superhero-comics
I read this entire series all at once so I'm just going to do a general review for the whole thing rather than trying to sort out what belonged in which book.

Cable and Deadpool, two of the best mercenaries out there, find themselves stuck together after an incident. They start an odd friendship after that and quite a few wacky adventures ensue, all while Cable attempts to save the world from itself.

I picked this series up because Deadpool was a main character. I always find him hilarious, althou
Gayle Francis Moffet
Apr 05, 2012 Gayle Francis Moffet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, comics, march-2012
It's a rare thing nowadays for me to start a comic and have no idea where the story is going to go, but that's how Cable & Deadpool opened, and that's how the first arc went, and I am officially in love.

Deadpool is one of my favorite characters (courtesy of Daniel Way's ongoing run on the current Deadpool title), but I know next to nothing about Cable, and while I had heard for years that this is a book worth reading, it kept falling to the bottom of the "to read" list. But now, one arc in,
Lissa
Aug 13, 2016 Lissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-in-2013
Cable, a telepathic and telekinetic mutant from the future (and the child of Cyclops and Jean Grey's clone, which should give you a taste of his power profile), wants to change the world. Meanwhile, Deadpool, a mercenary who will do pretty much anything for money, is hired to steal a virus that will make everyone the same. Their paths cross in Germany, and this leads to a hilarious friendship/partnership that lasts until the seventh volume.

I love this series. The first collection isn't the stron
Travis
Sep 24, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Fun buddy story using two characters from the X-men family of marvel comics. I was never a huge fan of the two characters, but the idea of pairing them together and making a regular series about a duo, rather than a single hero or team was an idea that caught my interest.

Deadpool and Cable get involved in the plans of a cult that plans to use science to change the world, but from opposite sides.
Of course, they fight, then they are forced to work together, then they fight again, then they save th
K
Feb 07, 2015 K rated it it was amazing
I'd heard a lot about Deadpool. I wanted to begin reading comics in general and I knew Deadpool comics had a lot of comedic elements I decided to start with one of those. I was not at all disappointed. I loved it! It was so funny but it also had an interesting plot. Now that I've read a few more comics (DC and Marvel) I think that this one is my favourite. I'm going to need to continue this series. I highly recommend this comic if you're a fan of action and humour. It's a lot more light hearted ...more
Thomas
Jul 01, 2013 Thomas rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
It was ok. Not as funny as I was lead to believe it would be and the story was a smidgen... lame. I'm not really a big comic reader, especially capes and cowls. Normally, I read comics and graphic novels because I have heard the story is great. I read this one because I was told Deadpool is hilarious and off the wall nuts. I snickered out loud once, maybe twice, and when I compare the story to the other comics/graphic novels I have read like Y: The Last Man, Preacher, Scott Pilgrim, and ...more
Michael
Volume One of the classic Cable & Deadpool saga by Fabian Nicieza is pretty decent once you make peace with its somewhat ridiculous opening premise (Cable and Deadpool compete to steal a virus from a pharmaceutical company and later do battle with a religious cult bent on using it to turn everyone blue). Both of the main characters are strongly written and their distinct personalities and contrasting worldviews make them a perfect fit for the "buddy cop/unlikely partners" adventures Nicieza ...more
Kelsey Karin
I was worried, after I bought this, that I may not enjoy it. Deadpool is known for lots of senseless violence. But I was hoping that Cable would even that out. I was right. I love Cable (after reading his standalone graphic novels that dealt with protecting Hope) and he is great in this. Even Deadpool is starting to grow on me. He sense of humor and candor to the audience, explaining the story, making popculture references, and joking that, with Cable, his glowing eye always seems to change ...more
William Thomas
Cable, the most promising but under-utilized character in the X-world, gets a slight facelift in this series. His powers are kicked up to a point that he isn't just some Terminator Reese clone from the early X-Force days when Rob Leifeld was doing everyone a disservice by continuing the pencils for that book. The addition of Deadpool to the series is the main selling point though, as previous Cable books were canceled and really lacked direction. Aside from amping up Cable's powers, Nicieza ...more
Travis Duke
Dec 19, 2015 Travis Duke rated it liked it
Cable and deadpool minus the rest of the x-force sounds pretty good. Both heroes are tasked by different groups to recover a virus. The virus can change the looks of a person which could cause serious trouble. Deadpool joins an aggressive religious group who plans on using the virus to change everyone in the world to look the same, while cable is tasked with bringing it back to another group.
The art was O.K. and the story is a little thin for me but overall a fun ride with cable and deadpool.
Hone Haapu
Apr 18, 2016 Hone Haapu rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
3 stars is an overall rating, for the entire series.

The Good
It started off well, some great play between the comic double act. The patient, sober and serious Cable vs the Deadpool-esque, Deadpool.
They really utilize the two characters powers well and work them into the story well, throughout all volumes.
Some classic Deadpool humor and antics.
Deadpool worked well as a fall guy for Cable.

The Bad
Petered out towards the end. And the story became a little strained and convaluted.. Hence th 3 star ov
Natlyn
Feb 18, 2008 Natlyn rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
The beginning of a beautiful friendship. The seeds of the rest of the series are here. Cable and Deadpool are very different people, except they both find the idea of a world of people at peace with themselves and each other to be … nice. They fight each other to a standstill and, in the almost actionless climax, Cable and Deadpool join to change each other for the better. It's a promising start to a series that provides more of the same while adding emotional depth.
Paul
Aug 17, 2014 Paul rated it liked it
Didn't make much sense to me, but I'm not really a comic book guy. Randomly chose to read this with a free trial of Marvel Unlimited to learn more about Deadpool and Cable. Deadpool's character is mildly amusing with his non-stop motor mouth, and Cable seems like a good match for him when they fight (kind of), but that's the problem: Why the fighting? There must have been at least 3 different fight scenes between the two. But back to the plot....it just didn't make much sense to me.
Tamir Hason
Jun 27, 2014 Tamir Hason rated it it was ok
Todd
The Deadpool continues. After the end of his series he shows up here to be paired with his original enemy.

Cable is given a basic intro, but I am kind of curious as to what was going on before this all started.

This is peak Merc with a Mouth humor. It's much better than any of the writers who have written him in a while.
Mike
Jan 14, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like action and humor in equal doses
Marvel's Man-Out-Of-Time and Merc-With-A-Mouth kick off their "buddy" title as a virus that would erase ethnicity becomes an international hot potato for Cable, Deadpool and various nefarious entities. Funnies are made, things go boom, lots of people die in creative ways. None of these are bad things.
Lindsey.parks
Aug 22, 2014 Lindsey.parks rated it really liked it
Just finished the Deadpool game and I wanted to learn more about his history with Cable. This opening volume shows promise. Anyone else spot that "Ryan Reynolds" shoutout? Did they predict that in 2004? I learned a lot about Cable's powers, had no idea about all the telepathy/telekinesis/tech organ disease he has.
Dan
Apr 19, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it
Cable at his best. His powers are a little ridiculous in this, almost god like. *semi-spoiler* E.g. he uses his telekinesis to remove a virus from someone, or he completely disassembles each piece of a house like its nothing. You also never know if you should really consider him as a hero because his personality seems like it could be corrupted by his power.
Evan Williamson
Fun but kinda dull

the art is nice, the writing is solid, but overall there's nothing really special here. The trademark crazy of Deadpool doesn't get to really shine and Cable is dull as a hero straight man. An average superhero comic with signs of greatness but no clear direction to it.
Amy
Jun 22, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-i-want
well, this was my first real contact with Deadpool... AWESOME.. just loved it

Josh
Dec 05, 2012 Josh rated it it was amazing
The greatest team-up of all time. Deadpool justifies his place as my favorite comic book character in the hands of Nicieza (not suprising, since he created him), and Cable absolutely shines next to him.
Tommy
Aug 07, 2015 Tommy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
The triumphant return to Deadpool writing of Fabian Nicenza. So far this is a great treatment and really shows the evolution of Deadpool. Pairing up with Deadpool is really great. Can't wait to read more.
  • Deadpool: Suicide Kings
  • Deadpool, Volume 2: Dark Reign
  • Deadpool Classic, Vol. 2
  • Dark Reign: Deadpool/Thunderbolts
  • Uncanny X-Force, Volume 2: Deathlok Nation
  • Deadpool, Merc with a Mouth: Head Trip
  • Cable, Vol. 3: Stranded
Fabian Nicieza is an American comic book writer and editor who is best known for his work on Marvel titles such as X-Men, X-Force, New Warriors, Cable and Deadpool, and Thunderbolts, for all of which he helped create numerous characters.
More about Fabian Nicieza...

Cable & Deadpool (8 books)
  • Cable & Deadpool, Volume 2: The Burnt Offering