Start by marking “Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)

Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5 - Sin Slayer)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,325 ratings  ·  66 reviews

Christine Warren

“Devil’s Bargain”

Marjorie M. Liu

“The Robber Bride”

Welcome to a post-apocalyptic world where wome

Published June 30th 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Huntress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Huntress

Bone Crossed by Patricia BriggsIron Kissed by Patricia BriggsMoon Called by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound by Patricia BriggsThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Best Books Read in 2009
35th out of 122 books — 24 voters
Wings of the Wicked by Courtney Allison MoultonA Season of Transformation by Lauren MurphyThe Legend of the Blue Eyes by B. Kristin McMichaelCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickSoul Protector by Amanda Leigh Cowley
Over the Shoulder
55th out of 117 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie (jjmachshev)
Once again, how to rate an anthology? "Huntress" is a four-story, four-author anthology from St. Martin's. Two of the stories were set in the worlds of ongoing series from two of the authors, the other two were not. The stories I liked, I really liked; but there was one story that just wasn't my cuppa...it wasn't bad, just not my flavor. So how to rate it?

"Devil's Bargain" by Christine Warren isn't set (as far as I know) in any of her 'worlds'. It's the story of a half-human bounty hunter who m
Laura the Highland Hussy
"Devil's Bargain" by Christine Warren-3 stars
Christine Warren's book was not her usual fantastic stuff. It wasn't bad, at all, don't get me wrong, I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of her "Others" stories. It's about a girl who is a bounty hunter for a devil (not THE devil, but one of the devils) and her last order is to get a certain book. Well owner of said book is studious and incredibly handsome and won't give it up without a fight. They fight, they kiss, they get interr
♥ Sarah ♥
Devil's Bargain by Christine Warren: (2.5 stars)
Lilli is a half-human, half-devil bounty hunter. She has owes three favors to a devil named Samael because of a favor he did for her. When she's asked to retrieve a book as her third, and final, favor, she's a little skeptical at how easy the task sounds. But, when she meets the keeper of the book and finds out what's inside, things become all too clear.

This was my first Christine Warren story, although I do have The Others series on my to-read she
Carolyn F.
Anthology. Loved Marjorie Liu's story, wish it were a novel. And Christine Warren's story was pretty good. The other two were either so-so or awful.

1. Devil's Bargain by Christine Warren. Lilli is a bounty hunter that owes a demon prince 3 favors. She's down to her last one which is to find a book that was stolen from him and then they're even. Well, she meets the nephew of the guy who stole it and finds out it's not as easy as it appeared. Good story. ***-1/2

2. The Robber Bride by Marjorie Liu
Kenna
"Devil's Bargain" by Christine Warren – I liked this story. It was nice that for once, when the tow people fell in love within a few hours of meeting each other, “chemistry” was involved and it SAID that it was involved. Plus, it was fated and that was very helpful for me. There’s nothing worse than having them fall in love for no reason. 4 stars

Marjorie M. Liu penned "The Robber Bride" This is by far my favorite story. The gradual caring for and falling in love between the two main characters i
Amanda
Like most anthologies this was a mixture of fantastic stories and horrible stories.

Christine Warren's "Devil's Bargain" was a good story, it was by no means the greatest story I have ever read, but I definitely enjoyed it. There was action, sex and magic - an excellent mix.

Marjorie M. Liu's "The Robber Bride" was my favorite story in the entire book! It's actually one of my favorite stories ever, but then I love post-apocalyptic worlds. Liu's writing was fantastic, you could picture everything s
Schnaucl
Emily
Hard to give a short story series a single rating, especially when there is such a spectrum of quality as in this book. Each story is rated below.

Devil's Bargain -- 3 stars
Decent story, rather simple writing and predictable plot.

The Robber Bride -- 5 stars
Excellent story, beautifully written and intriguing world with unique beings. I got the book for this story by Liu and was not disappointed. Her style is not classic romance at all, much more poetic and main stream than the others in this book
Laurie Garrison
The only story I read was By Jenna MaClaine so I cant rate the whole book but as for Jenna Maclaine stroy I give 4 stars...
Steph Moyer
So, we got four stories here.
First up Christine Warren writes about Lilli Corbin. A supernatural bounty hunter. She has to go retrieve a book for a Prince of Hell that she made a deal with. While trying to steal the book, she meets a dude and six hours later they're super in love. Typical.
Story wasn't bad, pretty well written.

Second is Marjorie M. Liu writing about Maggie. Maggie seems like a typical chick... Up until she has to battle a bunch of incubi that are stealing women. Wasn't bad.

Third
Theresa
Four dark short stories from four popular authors, each featuring a powerful woman against some form of demon.

1)‘Devil’s Bargain’ by Christine Warren. 3 stars.
Interesting story about a battle between good and evil forestalling an invasion of the demons of hell with love conquering all. The instantaneous sexual attraction of the couple is very abrupt and not very well explained, except for a brief word: ‘magic’. Later we know why it happened, but not what started it.

2)‘The Robber Bride’ by Ma
Rachel Maloney
Jun 04, 2011 Rachel Maloney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rachel by: Lisa
Devil's Bargain: C-
The Robber Bride: A
Down In The Ground Where The Dead Men Go: B-
Sin Slayer: B

Devil's Bargain was cliché and melodramatic. I don't know that I've read Christine Warren before this, and I won't be rushing to read anything else by her anytime soon.

The Robber Bride was wonderful -- a fresh, engaging voice, in a starkly beautiful landscape. I hope Liu has written more stories for this world. A great story!

Down In The Ground Where The Dead Men Go -- It's not that this was poorly writ
Alexia561
Think I've mentioned before how much I love anthologies. I've discovered several new authors this way, and don't feel cheated if I don't like a particular author, as there's several more to choose from.

The first story in this collection is The Devil's Bargain by Christine Warren. Lilli Corbin made a deal with a devil and all she has to do to finally fulfill the bargain is retrieve an old book. Too bad it's a book of prophecies that will bring about the Apocalypse. This story was just okay for me
Mary
Jan 14, 2010 Mary added it
It's impossible to "star" a collection.

Devil's Bargain - Christine Warren.
Hm, she meets the guy, jumps his bones, and suddenly he's the love of her life so she needs to save him. I know the story is short, but come on. If you disregard that, it wasn't bad, I'd give it a couple stars.
The Robber Bride - Marjorie Liu.
After the big virus eliminates a lot of the population and cities are empty, you get a girl with a sledgehammer, vampires on motorcycles, no real explanation of where any of these get
Purpleholic
I just love reading short story and novella collections where you get the chance to read several different perspectives of the same storyline. These four stories are all basically about the same type/style of characters but each author's differing perspective shows a different vision. I was really thrilled with "The Robber Bride" contributed by Majorie M. Liu. It was just right in my favorite style or something but it definately was my favorite of the four.

Each female lead shows her strengths is
Jeanette
Aug 04, 2011 Jeanette rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: uf
I liked 2 of the 4 stories which were by authors I already know. Christine Warren “Devil’s Bargain” annoyed me. I'm not a big fan of blow-by-blow sex scenes, especially not with people who just met. Then, they suddenly are deeply in love and willing to sacrifice themselves for the other hours after they meet. My suspension of disbelief blew raspberries at that one. 1 star since I did finish it.

Marjorie M. Liu “The Robber Bride” I have read and liked other things by her, and I also enjoyed this o
Kathy Davie
An anthology of stories that encompass the concept of a woman hunting within the paranormal.

Series: Down in the Ground Where the Dead Men Go (Black London, 1.5)

Sin Slayer (Cin Craven, 3.5)

The Stories
Christine Warren's Devil's Bargain is a new [to me] approach to preventing the Apocalypse when Lilli Corbin, a half-human, half-demon bounty hunter is required to fulfill the third and last task she owes Sammael. The interpretation of the verses of a prophecy that could wind either way.

Marjor
Kathy
I would categorize this as an urban fantasy romance anthology. I found this anthology to be highly enjoyable. I'm sorry I kept it on my back burner so long because I really found all the novellas entertaining.

Jenna Maclaine "Sin Slayer" Cin and the rest of the Righteous (the Righteous are fellow vampire friends of Cin who police the vampire society as a whole) hunt down Jack the Ripper. It seems Jack has grown tired of killing mere humans and has now taken up whipping vampires out of existence.
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Christine Warren 'Devil's Bargain' -- Supernatural bounty hunter Lilli Corbin made a pact with the Prince of Hell: She agreed to recover a book of prophecies. When she learns it could trigger the apocalypse, Lilli is forced to make the ultimate choice: save her soul, or the man she loves? **This was an interesting story, all 90 pages of it, but not one of the best in this book.**

Marjorie M. Liu 'The Robber Bride' -- Welcome to a post-apocalyptic world where women are fed on for their life forces
Erin
Although I'm getting a little sick of these anthologies-for-the-sake-of-a-favorite-writer, this one was a nice surprise.

Christine Warren - Thought there could've been something here, but then there was insta-love and meh. Not for me.

Marjorie Liu - One of the things I love about Liu is her ability to create an atmosphere quickly and quietly. We know just enough about how the world "ended," and just enough about the remaining communities, without being info-dumped. We know there's something off a
Marina
I liked the story by CW.I give it 4 stars.If you never read any of her writing before this I feel would be a good place to try her writing style out.Love the characters.Nice chemistry.Sweet ending!

The story by Ms. Liu was bizarre at first.I gave it 4.5 stars at the end.The tale was HAUNTING! The language used was wonderful. Interesting characters and world.

The story by CK is part of a series.I gave it a 3.There was no happy ending and both characters had nasty personalities.Yeah, they were good.
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Only read Christine Warren "Devil's Bargain" and Caitlin Kittredge "Down in the Ground Where the Dead Men Go."

"Devil's Bargain" by Christine Warren ~ 3 Stars
This short story was interesting, steamy and certain parts were funny, but it's not fantastic. It's not like her "Others" series, if your looking for something on that line this is not it.

"Down in the Ground Where the Dead Men Go" by Caitlin Kittredge ~ 1.5 - 2 Stars
This short story goes with her Black London series. This story is #1.5 in t
Garrick
"The Devil's Bride" and "Sin Slayer" were both good short stories, which left me wanting to know more about those authors (I am already a Cin Craven series fan, but I'm investigating Christine Warren more now).

"The Robber Bride" was decent, if a bit slow paced, but it did a good job at leaving me wanting more of the setting.

"Down in the Ground Where the Dead Men Go"... well, to be frank, was a mess. I wanted to like it because of the male protagonist (which didn't fit well with the anthology the
Jen
I know I've read this book, as today (last night, really) I finished the Strange Brew anthology and the story "Dark Sins" by Jenna Maclaine sparked my memory: I was sure I had "met" Cin, Michael, Devlin and Justine before. And while I unfortunately do not remember much about the Huntress anthology, reading the blurb did bring back a few memories. This was enough to remind me that really enjoyed this collection of stories, and I new reminder to myself that I need to read it again. :-)
Amber
Two of the stories were a five for me, two of them a three. Marjorie Liu steals the show in my opinion. That story would get more than 5 stars if that were an option. I love her folkloric stuff (which this one definitely was for me) and the post apocalyptic element was just gorgeous.
Jordan Summers
I bought this book when it first came out and just now got around to reading it. Boy, am I kicking myself for waiting for so long. I REALLY enjoyed this anthology. Every story is strong and quite different from the average anthology fare. I used to buy a lot of anthologies, but after getting burned a few times I stopped. This was one I picked up in my anthology buying heyday. I was familiar with Christine and Marjorie's work. They were why I bought the anthology in the first place. But I'm glad ...more
Sandra
A bit hard to rate this one. Of the 4 stories, 3 from well known authors, it was those 3 that were the greatest disappointment. I love Christine Warren books and have a great fondness for Marjorie Liu, and had heard great things of Caitlin Kittredge, and yet I literally hated all three stories. I had no connection to any of the main characters, they could of been made of cardboard for all I cared.

Luckily Jenna MacLaine's story Sin Slayer from the world of Cyn Craven saved the day. I think I migh
E.
Devil's Bargain: Christine Warren
Paranormal bounty hunter joins forces with mage to fight against demon. Heated chemistry adds spice to tale.

Robber Bride: Marjorie M. Liu
Post-apocalyptic United States lumped into odd territories, humans scratching out existence, eerie predators, shapeshifters...nice twist.

Down in the Ground: Caitlin Kittredge
Very dark, Scotland & Ireland, demons, necromancers, depressing.

Sin Slayer: Jenna Maclaine
Married vampire couples comprise The Righteous, called upon to
Pamela
Cindy
Multi author anthology. I bought it for the Christine Warren story which I enjoyed [magic geek hero and kick ass heroine:]. It currently isn't related to any other series [that I know of:].

Sin Slayer by Jenna Maclaine [according to other reviewers:] relates to her Cin Craven series which I have not read.

The other two stories: Down In The Ground Where The Dead Men Go by Caitlin Kittredge and The Robber Bride by Marjorie M. Liu are apparently standalones.
  • Grave Sins (Cin Craven, #2)
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #2.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #4.7)
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2: Love Bites
  • Four Dukes and a Devil
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Out of the Light, Into the Shadows (Includes: Vegas Vampires, #6 & #7)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • Never After (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #6.5)
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse, #3.5)
Born and raised in coastal New England, Christine Warren lived in the South and the Mid-Atlantic before hopping to the other side of the country to take up the life of a transplant in the Pacific Northwest. She completely bypassed those states in the middle due to her landlocking phobia. Hmm, need to research a scientific term for that...

When not scrambling frantically to complete her latest writi
More about Christine Warren...
Wolf at the Door (The Others, #9) One Bite With A Stranger (The Others #1) Big Bad Wolf (The Others, #2) She's No Faerie Princess (The Others, #10) Howl at the Moon (The Others, #12)