Start by marking “Amelia Bedelia and the Baby” as Want to Read:
Amelia Bedelia and the Baby

Amelia Bedelia and the Baby (Amelia Bedelia #9)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,923 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Amelia Bedelia said, "I don't know a thing about babies." And on that happy note, off goes everyone's favorite featherbrain -- to babysit for Missy. Missy loves her dearly, but Missy's parents aren't too sure. A new twist for an old favorite.
Published March 1st 1981 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Bedelia and the Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Bedelia and the Baby

Swankivy
I mostly remember this Amelia Bedelia book because it was the book my group chose in gifted class when we had to act out a book, and I got to be the baby. (I always loved being the baby if I possibly could in any play-pretend scenario.) As per usual with Amelia Bedelia, the text is full of Amelia misunderstanding what she's asked to do and interpreting requests literally. She has to give the baby a bottle, but none of the types of bottles she chooses are right! No, the baby won't accept them! Wh ...more
Manya
Amelia Bedelia is very cute.I love Missy crying like a baby.
Amar Pai
Amelia Bedelia is very silly. She doesn't know anything about babies, but is a good cook.
An Odd1
Amelia is a housemaid and does not know about babies. Mrs Carter brings strawberries and warms special milk bottle that shushes crying Missy Lane. Amelia knows how to make yummy berry tarts while she lets Missy nap. Like rest of series, Amelia takes list literally, but here specialized knowledge applies. Amelia uses nice-smelling powder on herself, plays herself with box of toys.

Surprisingly, Amelia does know how to bathe Missy in special small tub. If Missy was too young, she could only eat mu
Israel Graves
(Easy-to-Read)This is a great easy to read book. In this book Amelia has to be babysit an infant for the first time and boy does she have an experience! Children are introduced to problem solving, getting help from others and following directions! Amelia Bedelia has no idea how hard it is to babysit an infant but she soon learns how to improvise to make Missy happy, full and keep her from being fussy. The best thing about this book is the humor that it contains! Some of the silly mistakes that A ...more
Rosa Cline
Amelia Bedelia is always a fun read, She's a unique woman that looks at things a bit different than others generally do. But in the end her heart was always in the right place. In this story Mrs Rogers (the lady she is a maid and housekeeper for) suggests she go to the neighbors and take care of their baby. Amelia Bedelia has never cared for a baby but gets along with children so she tries. She gets in to all sorts of mishaps but in the end everyone is happy, as usual.
Ethelen V.
Parish, P., & Sweat, L. (1981). Amelia Bedelia and the baby. New York, NY: Greenwillow Books.

What do babies eat? Baby potatoes and cherry tomatoes of course! This is classic Amelia Bedelia. Amelia is asked to baby sit and the results are unexpected to say the least! This book is designed for grades 1-3. It has easy to read large print, short chapters, and colorful childlike artwork. Although this book could be read by boys, many boys will see this as a "girl" book. My children loved Amelia
Julie Decker
What happens when Amelia Bedelia, the lady who takes everything literally, is asked to give the baby a bottle? Nothing good, that's right. Amelia misinterprets all her instructions, as per usual, and seems to get through her babysitting duty without accidentally murdering any children. At least she never misinterprets anything that causes her to do something awful.
Mmouse
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah
Melissa Frentsos
Amelia Bedelia books were some of my favorites when I was little. As an adult, "Amelia Bedelia and the Baby" is now one of my favorite Amelia Bedelia books to share with children.
Olivia
This story was messy, the baby was confused. Amelia Bedelia was doing what the baby was suppose to do. I still liked the story anyway.
Edward Creter
Amelia really needs a clue this time around and when it comes to babysitting, you know! Just don't sit ON the baby!!! A real treat!
Hannah
I have a lot of friends named Amelia. This book was really good and I read it all by myself in one whole night!
Kayla
Cute, but as a mom, I cringed at the fact that Amelia Bedelia feeds the baby solid foods that she's never eaten before. Of course, it works out fine in the story, but in real life this could've been disastrous. And if the neighbor hadn't stopped by, the poor baby never would've gotten her bottle. Somehow, the mother gets over all of this once she tastes Amelia's strawberry tarts (typical ending for Bedelia books). I love watching A.B. fumble housework to-do lists, but it's not so funny when ther ...more
Miss
I grew up on Amelia books and every night when my mom would tuck me into bed, give me my stuffed animals and favorite blanket she would pile all the books I had selected onto my lap so I could start reading before bed. Usually the entire top of my bed was filled and I often fell asleep with a book laying over me. I remember always choosing as many Amelia books as I could and my mom always said she could hear me laughing from the other room while I read them. I recently started looking for copies ...more
Saffron Jeffries
This is a good book! It was funny.
Erin Kelley
Amelia Bedelia will never get old. Her humor and imagination are the greatest. I love being able to read this to my nephews because they just laugh. She has never baby sat before and takes everything literally. This is a series of books that you can do a read aloud with students after lunch. She just lightens the mood and can make you happy for the rest of the day.
Kathy
Mrs Rogers sends Amelia Bedelia to Mrs. Lane's to babysit a little baby. Amelia doesn't understand the directions. Doesn't know why the baby would want a bottle, gives the baby strawberry tarts, baby potatoes, baby hamburgers, baby tomatoes, ketchup, and the baby gets it all over. Mrs Lane would be mad when she comes home, but her baby likes Amelia and her food a lot.
Robert
Eh.

I don't think I am quite the Amelia Bedelia type of reader. She seems very inept (Amelia played with the toys while the baby fussed in the playpen). I suppose that is where the humor is, but it fell flat for me.

I believe Peggy Parish has passed on, but her son continues the stories. He presented at a school I taught at several years back.
Andrea
As a kid I really enjoyed these books but unfortunately, I read this book this year and I found her communications annoying rather than funny. It stills holds a special place in my heart because I read them as a kid and loved them and my dad would always call me Amelia Bedelia but I think I should keep the memory of it in the past and not read any more.
Theresa
Amelia Bedelia and the Baby
by Peggy Parish
a hilarious story of miss understandings
a great series of mixed up directions and literal meanings, this is a great silly series to show children that mistakes and mix ups are possible if not probable, and that innocence may be more of the reason then meaning to do something wrong/
Gabriel Dubransky
Amelia Bedelia thought that she was supposed to do the things on the list, but it was the BABY who was supposed to take a nap. But she said, "I hate naps" because she thought she was supposed to take a nap.

I'm a "confident reader" (according to the reading levels on the back of the book).
Brianna Craft
This book is wonderful and comical for an easy-to-read book. Amelia takes everything literally, so of course when she takes care of this baby she finds that almost nothing is literal. It helps kids with problem solving and teaches them to ask for assistance when they can't figure something out!
Dolly
Oct 01, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
Typical Amelia Bedelia book where she misunderstands what people write and say, taking things far too literally. In this book she doesn't get too out of control, thank goodness, because she's watching a baby. Good thing no one said anything about "throwing the baby out with the bathwater!"
Ali Hembree
When teaching students about homophones, you can not complete the unit without talking about Amelia Bedilia. In her many adventures, Amelia gets words mixed up all the time and gets in trouble because of it. I would use this book to teach 2nd and third grade students about homophones.
Rozlen Jeter
an internal conflict is when Amelia had no clue of how to babysit a baby for Ms. Lane. so Amelia the maid keeps switching and mixes things up creating a big mess.But heals her heart from her youngest fan. That was a mixture of internal and External. Book Book #10
Samantha Penrose
Not nearly as wacky as I thought it might be...she didn't even sit on a baby!
I remember really enjoying Amelia Bedelia's wacky antics as a youngster...perhaps I am just too old for this series..I will give her a few more chances to wow me.
Heather
My kids and I have started a collection of Amelia Bedelia books, and this one is probably their favorite. One reason that this one is their favorite: it has a baby in it! (They love babies.) But they really laugh when I read this book to them.
  • Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Father Bear Comes Home
  • Sam the Minuteman
  • Fancy Nancy at the Museum
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • The Berenstain Bears Down on the Farm
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish...

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia
  • Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia
  • Amelia Bedelia Helps Out
  • Amelia Bedelia Goes Camping
  • Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia
Amelia Bedelia Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower Come Back, Amelia Bedelia Amelia Bedelia Helps Out Good Work, Amelia Bedelia