The Dark Side: Truly Terrifying Tales

The Dark Side: Truly Terrifying Tales

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  4 reviews
This wide-ranging collection of twenty-four spine-tingling stories draws on the best traditions of classic horror, from powerful myths and folktales to contemporary stories of man-made terrors. With contributions by writers of the caliber of Philip K. Dick, Stephen King, and Edgar Allan Poe, this is a truly chilling anthology.
Published September 15th 2007 by Kingfisher

It is hard to review The Dark Side: Truly Terrifying Tales because the stories varied so much in quality. There were stories from famous writers such as Edgar Allen Poe and Stephen King, as well as stories from lesser known writers, and there were a few adaptations of myths from various parts of the world. Overall, I enjoyed the anthology. The stories are geared towards young people and are mildly scary and definitely entertaining. There is no extremely graphic violence and no sexually explicit...more
Erin
This is the kind of story selection I would have loved when I was in middle school. These are a little older than the Alvin Schwartz stories, but similar in style. These have a little more story to them and are a touch more developed. I couldn't finish the entire collection, because I knew I would be having nightmares.
Readers who love the strange and supernatural, are fascinated by urban legend, and can stand a chill or two running down their back will probably be interested.
Spooks. Murders.
Carmen Tudor
Great collection of old and new(ish) horror stories. My favourites included E.F. Benson's "The Room in the Tower", Nicholas Fisk's "Teddies Rule, OK?", Ellen Emerson White's "The Boy Next Door" and Joan Aikin's "Something".
Emily
Way more interesting then I thought it would be to tell you the truth.
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Shonna
Shonna marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Matildita Salazar
Matildita Salazar marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Evy
Evy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Flame
Flame added it
Feb 21, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
Lisa Hodgkinson
Lisa Hodgkinson marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2012
Ray I.
Ray I. marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2012
John-paul Field
John-paul Field is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2012
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2012
The Sterkarm Handshake (Sterkarm, #1) A Sterkarm Kiss (Sterkarm, #2) Thirteen More Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's) The Ghost Drum (Ghost World, #1) Elfgift (Elfgift, #1)