Start by marking “Divine Hours : Prayers for Springtime” as Want to Read:
Divine Hours : Prayers for Springtime

Divine Hours : Prayers for Springtime

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"A welcome remedy for the increasing number of lay Christians who have rediscovered the daily offices. Tickle puts each day's prayers, psalms, readings, and refrains-everything you need-in one place. The rhythm that Tickle's book establishes gives one a stronger sense of participating in an ancient, worldwide but very personal liturgy."
-Nora Gallagher, "beliefnet.com," and
Published October 16th 2001 by Doubleday (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Divine Hours , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divine Hours

Joshua Casey
If this is your first intro to fixed-hour prayer, Divine Hours can seem a little heavy. You might want to first try Common Prayer by Claiborne. However, this amazing series gives a much deeper journey into the practice as it includes 3 unique prayers for each day and a set of daily prayers for each month's compline. It also includes various special weeks for the high seasons of the Church. Following the BCP, with readings primarily from the Jerusalem Bible, and excerpts from Christians of many t ...more
Ebookwormy
I was introduced to "Praying the Hours" during a spiritual disciplines retreat. Though I am a Protestant, and this discipline is practiced mostly by Catholics (though it should be noted the author is a member of the Episcopal Church) , I was enchanted by it. I found "Praying the Hours" to be a comforting and meditative discipline that forced to me to stop my frenetic mind periodically throughout the day to focus on God, who He is, what He has done and what He has said. It helps me to slow down, ...more
Jeff

I've used the Divine Hours books for several years. Well put together. Good quality throughout. I think they can now only be purchased new as paperback which is too bad as the hard cover edition will stay open on your desk or table. The p'back will not.
Dana
I'm falling in love with praying the hours and Tickle's collection is an excellent guide for someone who isn't part of a mainline church group.
Lily
Apr 15, 2014 Lily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Resource for practice of Christian meditation/prayer
Recommended to Lily by: Pastor W.
A lovely reference and resource. Personally, too much to use all of it for daily practice, but wonderful for periods or used partially as time, needs, and desires permit. Has a section for use during Lent and Easter. Based on ancient Benedictine hours, with a Morning Office, Midday Office, Vespers Office, and Compline (Night Office).

Like the care of the publishing and binding of the hardcopy, even included ribbon marker (not certain about more recent editions).
Mark
It's simply a well-organized aid to structured prayer and worship. I have not followed it religiously (I have trouble with that), but I use it from time to time to help me get back on track. It's organized by day, week, and month within a season of the liturgical calendar. I recommend starting with any one of the three volumes in this set, depending on today's date (the time of year).
Darlene Hull
I love the rhythm of praying the hours, even though, as a Protestant, it's not really part of my culture. These books make it so easy! I love these books.
Terence
I like all of Phyllis Tickle's divine hours books. They are a great combination of scriptures, hymns, and poems that really have helped my prayer life!
Irm
This is the Spring version. With this one, I will have completed my first year of "praying the hours." What a fascinating process.
Terri
I have used The Divine Hours for three years now and find them beneficial for helping to center my prayer times.
Nate
Jun 04, 2008 Nate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: spiritual-life
See my review for The Divine Hours: Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime
Naomi Hernandez
Naomi Hernandez marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Jan
Jan added it
Apr 19, 2015
Laurette Botha
Laurette Botha marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Sarah R
Sarah R marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Marianne
Marianne is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2015
Suzanne Courter-Jann
Suzanne Courter-Jann is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2015
Jodi
Jodi added it
Mar 18, 2015
Lisa Braun
Lisa Braun marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Nicole Neitzel
Nicole Neitzel marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
DGK
DGK is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2015
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • Living the Christian Year: Time to Inhabit the Story of God
  • In Constant Prayer (The Ancient Practices)
  • Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups
  • Ancient-Future Time: Forming Spirituality Through the Christian Year
  • Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals
  • Answering God: The Psalms as Tools for Prayer
  • Monk Habits for Everyday People: Benedictine Spirituality for Protestants
  • The Liturgical Year: The Spiraling Adventure of the Spiritual Life - The Ancient Practices Series
  • The Quotidian Mysteries: Laundry, Liturgy and Women's Work (Madeleva Lecture in Spirituality)
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us
  • Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices (The Ancient Practices )
  • Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter
  • A Book of Hours
  • Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation
  • Behold the Beauty of the Lord: Praying With Icons
  • A Diary of Private Prayer
  • Intimacy with God: An Introduction to Centering Prayer
FROM AUTHOR'S WEBSITE:
PHYLLIS TICKLE, founding editor of the Religion Department of PUBLISHERS WEEKLY, the international journal of the book industry, is frequently quoted in sources like USA TODAY, CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR, NY TIMES, as well as in electronic media like PBS, NPR, THE HALLMARK CHANNEL, etc., Tickle is an authority on religion in America and a much sought after lecturer on the subj
More about Phyllis A. Tickle...
The Great Emergence: How Christianity is Changing and Why The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime--A Manual for Prayer (v. 1) Emergence Christianity: What It Is, Where It Is Going, and Why It Matters The Shaping of a Life: A Spiritual Landscape