Start by marking “Top 10, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Top 10, Vol. 1

Top 10, Vol. 1 (Top 10 #1)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  8,507 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
This is the tale of Neopolis, a modern metropolis with a citizentry made up exclusively of super beings. In a city where everyone is blessed with powers, it takes a unique and powerful police force to protect and serve.

In this Eisner Award-winning book, we are introduced to the extremely diverse officers of Precinct Ten; an armored and talking dog, a genetically engineere
Published June 1st 2001 by Wildstorm (first published April 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Top 10, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Top 10, Vol. 1

Jan Philipzig
Jun 23, 2014 Jan Philipzig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, fantasy, abc, superhero, work
Pop Songs from Another World

Set in the fantastically cosmopolitan yet socially backwards city of Neopolis, Top 10 revolves around the day-to-day lives of the police officers at the 10th Precinct Police Station. The population of Neopolis consists of humans and animals with superpowers, robots, cyborgs, gods, monsters, beings from other dimensions - you name it. Not an easy place to police, to be sure, but to the officers at the 10th Precinct all this is business as usual.

Above all, Top 10 is a t
Patrick
Simply said: this is one of my favorite comics, written by one of the best comic writers ever.

Don't like comics about superheroes? Doesn't matter, you should read this book.

Don't like comics about police procedure? Doesn't matter, you should read this book.

Don't like comics? You should still read this book.

Now if you happen to *like* any of the above. That's a bonus for you. You'll like this even more.

But seriously. This is absolutely worth your time.
Sean Gibson
Apr 13, 2015 Sean Gibson rated it it was amazing
Issue #7 is one of my all-time favorite comics...fantastic.

And hilarious.
Belarius
Jan 26, 2008 Belarius rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People Who Read "Comic Books"
Anyone familiar with the 'golden age of Vertigo comics' in the 90s is familiar with Alan Moore, legendarily prodigal and eccentric master of illustrated narration. His most famous works, V for Vendetta and Watchmen, were written in the 1980s, and have received very widespread acclaim and a fair degree of mainstream recognition. Alan Moore's more recent work with America's Best Comics (or "ABC") is comparatively less well known, but in many ways more polished and streamlined than his famous works ...more
Sara J.
May 01, 2015 Sara J. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, graphic-novels
Yep, this is what happens when you start digging around your collection of (*koff*old*/koff*) comics.

Top 10 was probably my *most* favourite thing to come out from the ABC/Wildstorm imprint when it was around.

Written by Alan Moore and pencilled by Gene Ha/Zander Cannon. Such great writing and such great art to go with it (esp Gene Ha I love his art)!

Planning to do a re-read of these (I only have the original run in physical copies #1-#12, but now have my eye on the digital collected version al
Jedi JC Daquis
Dec 07, 2016 Jedi JC Daquis rated it liked it
I've been doing an Alan Moore marathon lately, and Top 10 has been my third in this wave, after Providence and that awful Terra Obscura.

Alan Moore's Watchmen is the reason why I got into comics, and since then I've gradually filled my bookshelf with his creations. First, the must-buys like V for Vendetta, From Hell and the League of Extra Ordinary Gentlemen (I sadly haven't read Swamp Thing yet) then with his other works like Promethea, Lost Girls, Neonomicon and A Small Killing. Top 10 is my th
David Schaafsma
This was my first review of this volume of Top Ten in July 2013, after a quick read:

After The Watchmen, this? The idea is that everyone in NYC has a superpower... how do the cops handle THAT? Yet another take on superpowers... but really, who cares?

So, on the urging of a couple people, I reread this and think it is better than I initially did. The idea is that Neopolis has ONLY people in it with superpowers, and if you are a superhero kinda writer as Alan Moore is, this allows you to go crazy h
Petergiaquinta
Aug 14, 2015 Petergiaquinta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Don't let the lame title put you off. I almost walked right by this graphic novel by Alan Moore sitting on the "new" shelf at my local library. Neither the title nor the cover art appealed much to me, but fortunately I spied the author's name in the smaller cover print, and grabbed it up, and I'm happy I did. It may not be Alan Moore's best work, but Moore's second or third or fourth best work is still better than most, and this is really good Alan Moore that needs to be read by anyone who reads ...more
Tamahome
May 31, 2015 Tamahome rated it really liked it
I was kind of overwhelmed with the detail in the beginning, but I really got into it, especially when I found out it was supposed to be funny. (Is something funny if you have to be told it is?) There's some very serious moments too though. The detailed art is great; I've never heard of Gene Ha. I don't pretend to understand all the comic book easter eggs in the background. This volume is fairly dense and dialog heavy with smaller panels, maybe like the Gotham Central series. I think it's a good ...more
Lestat
Jan 17, 2015 Lestat rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
There's a lot to commend Top 10, the 12 book series of graphic novels by Alan Moore.

The story follows a police precinct in Neopolis consisting of superpowered beings. We follow the detectives' daily trials and travails as they investigate a Jack the Ripper-esque serial killer. It's a police procedural, but with superheroes. We see them struggle through their family lives, their professional issues, their love lives.

Several teams investigate different cases. Sometimes the cases overlap. There are
Allie
Hmm. Struggling to know what to say about this one.

Did I like it?
Was it interesting?
Yeah.

Did I love it?
Did it capture me?
Was I thinking about it when not reading it?
Did I rip right through it?
Did it have me longing for more?
Nope.

Will I read the other two books?
Maybe.

Anna
Oct 01, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
Issue 1 - I'm really liking this. It's like a good cop show in a comic series. Already, the idea of an entirely superhero filled dimension is appealing, and all of the different types of characters are interesting too. And, of course, I am intrigued by Smax.

Issue 2 - I really like how Alan Moore writes his story. Everything flows wonderfully, even when scenes jump to other characters. I trust that he will have everything end up just perfectly.

Issue 3 - I loved that ending scene! And I like how M
Julian
Mar 16, 2011 Julian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Okay, so imagine that all the science-heroes (Alan Moore's preferred term for superheroes) in the world have been gathered together in one city. So you have gods, people who can fly, robots who would make Gort look like a weakling, superintelligent animals, the works. And now imagine a police procedural set in this world. So everyone - cops and villains - is a science-hero. The captain is a former jet-pack man who decided he didn't like heights; the sergeant is a talking dog, and so on and so fo ...more
D.M.
Sep 02, 2012 D.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I confess that, even as a staunch supporter of Alan Moore, I did not follow most of his America's Best Comics line. I appreciated what he was doing, but it wasn't something I was interested in supporting with my cash. The chief exceptions to this were League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (naturally), Promethea (which I only bought in collections) and Top 10.
Top 10 is one of those rare things at which Moore excels: high-concept that succeeds where others fail. Other writers have attempted the superc
Eli Bishop
Sep 13, 2010 Eli Bishop rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-sff, comics
This is certainly in the "guilty pleasure" category, not because it's not done really well (it is) but because it's hard to explain why it would be worth doing. As many many people have pointed out, it can pretty much be summed up as "Hill Street Blues meets Astro City," that is, it's a cop show set in a city where everyone is a superhero (or a robot, alien, or Godzilla). The sight of Alan Moore deciding to do this, presumably stoned out of his mind and giggling fit to die, would make a pretty e ...more
Callie Rose Tyler
Sep 11, 2013 Callie Rose Tyler rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-give-up
I think I just need to stop reading Alan Moore, I know people love him and he is supposed to be great, but I'm bored. I was bored reading Watchmen, I was disappointed by Batman: The Killing Joke, and Top 10, Vol. 1 sounded like a great concept but instead all I'm getting is a Law&Order spin off that is slow and boring with predictable characters. Personally if I want superhero Law&Order I'll read Dan Slott, his 2005 She Hulk series is awesome!
Dan
Jul 05, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it
Not a great series: there were times (more at the start) where I wanted to drop the book and move on to something else. What kept me reading? I honestly don't know. I had to know who the Libra killer was; I wanted to see what the Goosey Ghost looked like; I wanted to know if Smax and whatserface were gonna hook up--and what was that business with the supermice...?
It's absurd--perhaps that's the point: superheroes are nothing but glorified policemen. Since I haven't been too deep in the DC/Marvel
Raina
Aug 19, 2009 Raina rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphicnovel, gltbq
This is a huge mishmash of a tonne of different speculative fiction and superhero elements. I really enjoy the contemporary feel to the stories - romances, interlocking cases, fascinating characters, and the little things Ha includes in the illustration - I particularly enjoyed a Spock sighting while reading this series. I don't always like the police-procedural-mixed-with-superheroes concept (Powers comes to mind). But Alan Moore does some brilliant writing (there should be a "duh" here, but I' ...more
Bill
Sep 10, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it
Such an imaginative series. Top ten is a police station in the city of Neopolis, a city built to hold the overflow of supernatural/ superscience heroes and villains that have begun to overrun the Earth. The stories are like an episode of any cop show, featuring the various police officers who work out of Top Ten, the Earth's police station in Neopolis. Lots of humour, interesting characters, great artwork and fascinating stories.
Jaye
Feb 24, 2015 Jaye rated it really liked it
Here's another I found at the library. Top 10 is a surreal feast for the eyes. It's set in Neopolis, a city where everyone has s superpower and a costume to go with it. The story follows rookie policewoman Toybox as she is assigned to the city's Precinct 10. I'll have to see if the library has the rest of this series.
Jonathan Maas
Aug 12, 2016 Jonathan Maas rated it it was amazing
Great book. Not my preferred Alan Moore style, but as always with his books, stick with it and you will be rewarded!
Timothy Boyd
Apr 23, 2015 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent SiFi comic series. Very good blending of a police story in a SiFi setting. very good art and story. Very recommended
Mohammed
Apr 29, 2009 Mohammed rated it really liked it
An weird take on Cop,superhero story. Many well done characters,an interesting world.
Morgan
Dec 09, 2012 Morgan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Kind of a superhero book that is not about superheros because everyone in this world is a superhero.
Eric
Jan 12, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
Very artful and a good quick read. I liked the storylines and the interesting character development!
Summer
Jun 25, 2007 Summer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal. I'm disappointed this ended so quickly.
Random
Nov 21, 2012 Random rated it really liked it
I couldn't stop reading it! I read it all in one sitting.
Erin Britton
May 21, 2017 Erin Britton rated it really liked it
Alan Moore's Top Ten series followed the troubles and triumphs of the police force of Neopolis, a city where everyone is either a superhero or a supervillain, and in this spin-off story he provides an insight into the creation of the city. Following newcomers Steve Traynor and Leni Muller as they attempt to fit in with life in the superhero ghetto that is Neopolis, The 49'ers is essentially a love story, albeit one that involves fighter pilots, the vampire mafia and a breakaway group of Nazi sci ...more
Saif Saeed
Mar 25, 2017 Saif Saeed rated it liked it
Police procedural with superheroes. In a city of superheroes.

Another great read from Moore. Enjoyable, full of the tropes you're used to seeing from a police procedural but always with a twist that keeps things interesting.

This came out in 1983 so it's very possible that all those police procedural tropes were invented by Alan Moore to begin with. I wouldn't put it past him.

The world and setting, the plot and the action, and especially the art and character design were all quality.

Recommended if
Javi
Nov 24, 2016 Javi rated it really liked it
Alan Moore también es capaz de crear un gran entretenimiento sin muchas pretensiones. No cuenta con la magnitud de sus obras capitales pero sigue siendo un cómic con ideas muy interesantes y sobre todo, muy divertido.
  • Astro City, Vol. 2: Confession
  • Planetary, Volume 2: The Fourth Man
  • Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 1: Crawling from the Wreckage
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days (Ex Machina, #1)
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor