Start by marking “Second Chance” as Want to Read:
Second Chance

Second Chance

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  3,990 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
As editor-in-chief of New York’s leading fashion magazine, Fiona Monaghan was utterly content with her life, jetting back and forth between Manhattan and Europe–-until the sweltering day John Anderson strolled into her office. A widower with two daughters, John was as conservative as Fiona was freewheeling, both amused and appalled by her world of high-strung designers, ...more
Published May 31st 2005 by Dell (first published January 1st 2004)

The Tea Rose by Jennifer DonnellyTwice Tempted by Eileen DreyerFiona by Catherine GaskinHow To Be A Scottish Mistress by Adrienne BassoShrek! by William Steig
"Fiona"
43rd out of 46 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Fuglsang
Jul 29, 2012 Fuglsang rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: How could I be cruel enough to do so?
Shelves: 45-books-2012
Mashael Alamri
رواية تحكي قصة فيونا مونغان رئيسة تحرير مجلة مختصة بالأزياء والموضى تعيش حياة الوحدة وصلت للأربعين من عمرها ولم ترتبط بأحد لأنها تعتبر عملها الأهم في حياتها وتلتقي مصادفة بجون تحبه ومن هنا تبدأ القصة , لأسباب كثيرة يفترقا وتعيش فيونا حياة صعبة جداً وتبدأ لتشق طريقها في عالم الكتابة هل تعود لجون أم لأ ؟؟؟
كما قلت سابقاً لا تستهويني قصص الحب أو الروايات التي تتحدث عن الحب فقط لكن هذه الرواية فيها شيء مختلف جذبني لها وقررت أن أقرأ لدانيال ستيل روايات أخرى
Vicki
Oct 04, 2012 Vicki rated it it was ok
Danielle Steele's Second Chance is a a good romance novel with believable characters; however, I found some of the reactions of characters not to be very realistic. Perhaps that is why I didn't fall in love with them.

The story did have some good laughable moments, which always helps to make a book good. The plot is easy to follow and the structure is not hard to understand either, so it provides a simple read.

This definitely isn't one of my favorite books, but it's okay for a rainy day if you l
Brenda
Nov 30, 2010 Brenda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Typical Danileee Steel novel. Rich woman meets rich man. Rich woman leads wild people-driven lifestyle. Rich man tells rich woman that he wants to move in with her ... that he does not know how to keep up with his house since his wife died two years ago and because he only has an elderly live-in houseeeper to assist with his two daughters when they return from college for weekends and a cleaning woman who comes once a week to help him/housekeeper with the upkeep of the house. Geez. They marry ...more
Nancy
Jan 19, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it
As I read Steel's books, the writer's workshop mantra pops into my mind. "Show, don't tell." However, Steel TELLS. Yet every once in a while I will read one of her books. I guess I'm not reading for the great writing, but for the plot. Second Chance was OK -- as a diversion -- romance, beautiful clothing, Paris. I didn't think it was one of her better novels.
Tracy
Oct 11, 2015 Tracy rated it did not like it
Dumped it and then went back to it fir nothing else to read at the time but still thought it was Crap. Fiona is perfect perfect perfect. Crap crap crap. Too good looking, too popular, too nice, too tough, too good at her job, gets everything, knows everybody........ Pleeeeeeze! Don't bother. Too many good books out there.
Corri
Sep 10, 2016 Corri rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened-to
(Read by Matt Walton)

I liked this love story. The two main characters were endearing. And, I loved the girl's male best friend. The fashion industry descriptions were also very intriguing. The guy's daughters and housekeeper were jerks.
Kristin Wright
Nov 29, 2011 Kristin Wright rated it liked it
I feel the same way about each of her stories. Good, cheesy entertainment = Danielle Steele. I can always count on her to occupy my mind for a couple of days when I need to stop thinking. Few people can do that. She is aces in my book! No pun intended.
Julie
Repetitive descriptions. The first half is slow, but then the pace picks up. There are formulaic, run-on sentences.
Melissa Ann
Feb 27, 2016 Melissa Ann rated it really liked it
It was an interesting book but I felt that the ending was a little too fluffy for how the book was progressing.
Stephanie
Mar 14, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this book down! The ending was great and one of her better books. The characters were so realistic that you felt for them.
Shannon Bernier
Jun 26, 2016 Shannon Bernier rated it it was amazing
a very twisted book but ends sweetly
Monique
Mar 04, 2012 Monique rated it really liked it
Easy-reading. Good story about getting to know yourself and to be brave.
Kamini Kusum
Oct 16, 2016 Kamini Kusum rated it it was amazing
Nice read.A simple story put in a gripping way.

Its all about giving a second shot to your marriage which has already ended...
Ikram Benmoussa
Aug 30, 2015 Ikram Benmoussa rated it really liked it
Fiona is a successful editor in chief in a fashion magazine Chic, who had everything she wanted she was 42 years old not married and without kids, she was not in the mood to raise children, she was, in reality, afraid that she will not do a good job about it that’s why she never wanted to get attached to people, because in the end there is no ‘’forever’’. One day she had a meeting with the head of an ad agency, John Anderson, who was in his fifties, handsome and wear suit that suit him ...more
Angie
Sep 17, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
Introduced to me by my aunt. I was skeptical at first as to whether I would like this book or Danielle Steel's writing. In my opinion, the first third of the book was too perfect, too much of an impeccable "fairytale". The characters were fairly appealing, but the story so far itself? Not so much. I thought the whole book would be like that, I was wrong. The second third - quite depressing, bordering on dull. Think New Moon. Our star of the show or story in this case, is withering away in ...more
Tina
Sep 19, 2016 Tina rated it it was amazing
What a great store..
Danijel
Sve je u početku bilo poput zagorelog ručka gospođe Vesterman. Zatim zagrcnuto, nepromišljeno i gorko. A na kraju: podgrejan ručak, podgrejana osećanja, podgrejani zaveti. Svet visoke mode opisan je veoma šturo, a sijaset naziva poznatih brendova i mesta neukusan je i nije pomogao jednom laiku za modu kao što sam ja da bolje doživi autorkinu zamisao. Patetika na nivou. Mnogo ponavljanja. Iako sam i sâm zaljubljen, nije me dotaklo. Zar je trebalo?

Umesto zaključka, predlažem jedan recept:

PROSEČAN
Haya Khalifa
Feb 12, 2016 Haya Khalifa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
لطالما أحببت دانيال فبالرغم من تكرار الاسلوب ذاتة الا انها تمتلك مواضيع جمة تتحدث عنها وترويها في إطار قصة لذيذة ، وفي غياب مخلص يختصر لك الرواية فإنها تترك لك مهمة اكتشاف الغموض القابع خلف غلافها ، وهنا وجدت قصة لفيونا التي عانت في صغرها هجران والدها ومرارة العيش مع ازواج مختلفين كل مرة لتتخذ قرارا بعدم الزواج أبدا !
ولكن ما لم تضعه بالحسبان هو جون أندرسون ، صاحب شركة الاعلانات الذي حدد موعد للإلتقاء بهدف تجديد صورة مجلته شيك المسؤولة عنها ، لتنجذب نحوه كالمغناطيس منذ اول لقاء وكذلك بالنسبة له ،
Kristina
Dec 03, 2013 Kristina rated it liked it
I love Danielle Steel and her books but this one is below my expectations. It starts pretty good but somewhere along the way it becomes all about the closets and clothes the main character does not want to give up. And than it becomes really weird and boring. Somewhere near the end I had hope that it will end in Danielle's style - great! but no. I was really annoyed with the last few pages where all you can read is that she will not go back to the way it was with him and then, of course, ...more
Stasha
Jan 16, 2012 Stasha rated it liked it
As much as Danielle Steel novels are all about romance, I found this one to be a bit different, and I found the characters to be likeable. Although the part about the man's grown children's and housekeeper's reactions to the new woman in his life to me seemed a bit farfetched, I was glad the way things worked out in the end. There was much anticipation building because I was almost sure that there would be no happy ending based on the turns the characters' lives took. But then again, I've never ...more
Lesley
Jan 21, 2015 Lesley rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008, romance
Admittedly I haven't read a lot of Danielle Steel books lately. One thing I have always counted on until now has been the depth of the stories (and characters) that she writes. I know that at some point in time in the book I'm going to be curled up with a box of kleenex as I'm going to cry but I also know it won't be for long. This time not a tear was shed, the characters didn't seem to have as much depth as others she has written and while it was an enjoyable book it didn't affect me as much as ...more
Rebecca
Oct 05, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
This book was of course, like every other Danielle Steel book ever written. I'm not a huge fan anymore. I was when I was twelve, but it's been years since I've read one of her novels. I was tired of her characters all being the same person, all the same kind of profession.

When I was introduced to the main character, Fiona... I liked her, but she was just as I would have imagined her to be, in a job that I would have expected her to have.

Nafissah
Jan 26, 2013 Nafissah rated it really liked it
The only thing i hated in the book was that the description of the characters were repetitive. I loved how the superficial character melted to reveal a human being with feelings and greatness. Although i felt that Steel was justifying Fiona's actions too much. I loved the description of the fashion world in the book but sometimes it was too much. Overall, I do recommend to read the book and read it only if you love Danielle Steel.
Bev Bowlin wilson
Jan 10, 2014 Bev Bowlin wilson rated it it was amazing
This is the story of a very successful businesswoman who has no need for and no desire for a husband or a family. In the story, she finds love and then all her fears come true. In the end they work it out but ... I really thought she should have lured him back in and then dumped him and hurt him like he did to her ... maybe I'm in a bad mood, I don't know, LOL
Fawaz Alotibe
Oct 13, 2014 Fawaz Alotibe rated it liked it
I did realy like this book but the ending was a bit disapointed for me -_- ... John dosen't desarve a secound chance for what he did to her >< . I hoped a diffrent ending but i was shoucked with this "fake-happy ending" kind of thing...any way 3/5 it's too much for this book but at least i enjoyed -__- .
Sangita
Sep 30, 2012 Sangita rated it it was ok
Read a Danielle Steel after a long time, I think, after maybe 10 years or so.

Story is breezy and simple and deals with matters of heart. Makes us consider second chances in our lives as probably the correct one, and the story nudges us softly towards the realization that love is all around.

Good for a one time read.
Suzi
Dec 10, 2013 Suzi rated it liked it
An overall enjoyable book with a few twists and turns but generally an easy read and not a book that I couldn't put down it was just there to read in the bath wasn't desperate for a quiet five minutes to find out what was happening! A slightly predictable fairy tale ending but didn't make the book any less enjoyable. Not my favourite Danielle steel but I am sure it wont be my worst.
Marnie
Feb 12, 2011 Marnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
It's always nice to get into a quick non demanding read. Not huge on romance books, but always seem to go to Danielle Steel when in the mood, and she never disappoints. Nice to get lost in a book and forget reality for awhile. Just wish sometimes real life romance were like this. LOL Keep on writing Danielle.
Shreefa
Feb 10, 2013 Shreefa rated it did not like it
لاأنصح بقراءتها أبداً ، حب تقليدي لشخصين مختلفين عاشا دوامة الحب ومن بعدها تزوجا .. لكن كثرة اختلافاتهم لم تمكنهم من الاستمرارية فنتج عن ذلك الطلاق ، ومع مرور الزمن والأيام بطريقة مفصلة للأحداث عاشوا التجربة مرة أخرى بحجة أنّ كلاً منهما يستحق " فرصة أخرى" !! ، كمية السخافة في النوڤل لبعض الأحداث لا تُطاق ! لكن ما إن بدأتُ بكتاب لا أستطيع الامتناع عن قراءته مهما كان مملاً ...
Danielle Steel Bo...: Second Chance 1 3 Nov 20, 2012 08:55PM
  • Beyond Seduction (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #321)
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Danielle Steel
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Secret Weapon Spouse (Miami Confidential #1)
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • Ryan's Place  (The Devaneys #1)
  • Lake Magic
  • Hades
  • Bleak History
  • Under Darkness (Darkwing Chronicles, #5)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“Remember me? I'm back to my old self again. No responsibilities, no attachments, no encumbrances. I don't want to own anything, love anyone, or get too attached to people, places or things. It's a rule that seems to work well for me.” 40 likes
“I don't want to have to give up me, in order to be his.” 20 likes