Start by marking “A Christmas Mystery” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Mystery

A Christmas Mystery

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Then these three wise, lonely, childless men who, in furtherance of their own greatness, had cut themselves adrift from the sweet and simple things of life and from the kindly ways of their brethren, and had grown old in unhappy and profitless wisdom, knew that an inscrutable Providence had led them, as it had led three Wise Men of old, on a Christmas morning long ago, to ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Christmas Mystery

Lora
A fine story for Christmas, a short read of maybe twenty minutes. It's soft, it's sentimental, it's about hope and humility, it evokes those beautiful soft quiet Christmas evenings with snow outside and plenty of colored lights inside, the scent of cookies and the sound of family. I recommend it for anyone looking for a Christmas story they haven't read yet-- although as they read it, they'll recognize it fast enough, which is part of the story. In a way, you the reader become part of the story ...more
Steve Campbell
This is an unusual Christmas story, in which three eminently intelligent men who despise Christmas are brought together by a force unfamiliar to them, and they encounter the Christmas "spirit." I recommend the story.
France-Andrée
Three men travel to a country house for Christmas, but because of their car breaking down, they have to wait in a little hovel for rescuing. I don't want to say anymore or I'll give too much of the story away... I think the title is a big hint on what happens. It wasn't very complex and I didn't find the writing or the story outstanding, it is standard Christmas fare... not even heartwarming in my opinion. I think this can be skip without anything missing in your litterature's knowledge.
Frank
One has to read at least one Christmas story during Advent. This was an interesting one of three wise men who met by accident and found out they were all going to visit the same person for Christmas. They took a journey to a distant place in England and this adventure resulted in the birth of a male child on Christmas day that change all three of their lives. It is a short read and worth the time.
Steve
I ran across the 1910 illustrated edition while rummaging through the Univ. of WI library and am surprised to see it still in print. I would rate this as a "nice little Christmas miracle story", but nothing special. Except the irony of the title, because it tells how they became wise.
Chris
Kindle free book - three highly educated men are thrown together, a newborn is involved ... it's Christmas time ... it's not very good.
Sabine789
i am sure i read it last year but obviously i forgot the whole subject ;) so i let it free to your desire to read it or not.
Lisa
This was a short story but well written. I liked it enough to look for other books / stories by this author.
Karla
Set novel, short but with a message of hope and humbling.
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Sherri Thompson
Sherri Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
LaRue Beckley
LaRue Beckley marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Virginia Hammond
Virginia Hammond marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Kimberly Kline
Kimberly Kline marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Lilly
Lilly marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Beloved Vagabond The Rough Road Septimus The Fortunate Youth Far Away Stories