Start by marking “The People Vs. Cashmere ” as Want to Read:
The People Vs. Cashmere

The People Vs. Cashmere (The People Vs. Cashmere #1)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  19 reviews
This emotionally gripping novel follows the plight of two orphaned sisters who are thrown into a world of drugs, violence, and sex, in a struggle to survive.
Published March 1st 2009 by Urban Books

To ask other readers questions about The People Vs. Cashmere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People Vs. Cashmere

Kymin
All I can say is OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This book was sooooo good I felt as if I was in the life of these people. I felt what they felt, saw what they saw and BOY! was that interesting......The book was so good that I couldnt go to sleep I had to finish it,....I finished it the first day I bought it at booksamillion. I was upset with myself for reading it sooo fast but I SOOO ENJOYED EVERY BIT!....This woman sold me on this book!!! I am so serious... I LOVE TO READ! I learned that sometimes life ...more
OOSA
Verdict,

Left to fend for themselves, sisters Cashmere and Desiree have to come up with a plan and quick. With neither sister old enough to maintain a legal job, their options are limited. Violence, jealousy and betrayal unfold.

With elements like jealousy, love and betrayal, "The People Vs. Cashmere" had potential. Unfortunately, it never reached it. The first half of the novel was long and overdrawn. I understand some of the events in the beginning needed to transpire for events in the second h
Lesa Jones
Tyreshia

“The people vs. Cashmere” is a fiction written by Karen Williams. This book made me think that even though you might grow up with a good family, it doesn’t mean everything will be handed to you. Cashmere lived in California with her mom dad and sister. She adored her dad, liked, school, but she fought a lot.

Cashmere thought she had a good life. She wasn’t poor nor was she rich. She really loved to spend time with her dad who was rarely home because of his job. Her sister, Desiree, was a differ

Eva Leger
Jul 26, 2009 Eva Leger rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: urban drama readers
Recommended to Eva by: like Williams already
Shelves: b-urban-fiction
I had heard and seen various reviews of this so I was a little leery to begin but I enjoyed the book. It has an ending which is fantastic for me right now being tired of all the prequels, sequels, and series out there in the urban fiction realm.
I loved Cashmere- she was the main, and my favorite, character by far and I was rooting for her the whole way. There was an underlying sense of princess-y-ness about her that I kind of wish Williams would have left out. It didn't make the book bad but I
Diana
First, I will start with my one and only negative about this book. The editing is awful. I preach this time and time again, but I know it is in vain. Black authors, please, find someone reliable to edit your books. There is no excuse for errors to be on THE FREAKING FIRST PAGE OF THE BOOK. It's embarrassing and it takes away from a great read, it's very distracting as well.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. The story line is very grimy and just plain nasty in some parts because this is a child
Felicia A
UGH. Ghetto for just no reason at all. Damn. But I will see it to the bitter, ugly end. And she did write Harlem on Lock, which I liked, so I had high hopes for this. The author must have known a lot of drug addicted teenaged hookers in her childhood.....

UPDATE: Finished it. Redeemed at the end. I guess. Too much unecessary cussing and drama, but I guess that's what sells urban lit, right? I really liked Harlem on Lock a lot better than this, but at least this one might have been a one-book deal
Keyona
This book was pretty good. If you can overlook all of its many errors it was still a good story.I like this story better than Harlem on Lock because the author didn't steal her storyline from Noire this time. The book was a bit cliche with the whole teen orphan-sells herself-addicted to drugs-goes to the jail story. The author just turned it up a notch. The middle of book is what really gave this book an extra star because that's when it began to pick up.
Teona Faircloth
Amazing!!!! Karen Williams is definitely becoming a favorite of mine.
Ronesha Nash
This book hit home. There are many sistuations out there that are related to Cashmere's. That's from personal experiences. I didn't read the whole book because i barrowed it from my sister and she needed it back, but it's definitely an attention grabber.
Glam
May 23, 2009 Glam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
This was just an OK read to me it had it's up's and down in this read and at times it kinda dragged on. Cashmere got a lot of hard knocks and Desiree and they mother did her dirty for years.
Deszion Nasir
I was pissed off the entire book. Which was good. It pulled emotions out of me. Hood as all get out but that was the entire point.
Kimberly
PRETTY GOOD. DESIREE WAS A MESS. I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH FOOLISHNESS AND HATEFULNESS COME FROM A SISTER..SMH
Tasi
Karen W. really did it on this. I lovedd it ! Much excitement and suprises. Her sister was a trip!
Samantha
I think it was an OK read the title did not fit. but it was alright!
Arthenaford
i cried laugh n summo shit all real good wea part two lol
Amanda
I would recommend this book. I loved the ending.
Kendell (luvVee)
Jasmine Cole
good on to. part 2
SlimmGoodie
SlimmGoodie marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Amethyst Avendano
Amethyst Avendano marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Aushanique
Aushanique marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Brittney Sanders
Brittney Sanders marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Qveen M
Qveen M marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Debi
Debi marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
  • Amongst Thieves (Triple Crown Publications Presents)
  • California Connection
  • Where There's Smoke
  • The Hood Life
  • Home Wrecker
  • A Rich Man's Baby
  • Pitbulls In A Skirt
  • A Dollar Outta Fifteen Cent
  • Game Over (Triple Crown Publications Presents)
  • Cartier Cartel
  • Back to the Hood (Flint, #5)
  • Gunz and Roses
  • Keyshia and Clyde
  • Trife Life 2 Lavish
  • Grindin'
  • Black Diamond
  • Innocent (Triple Crown Publications Presents)
  • Supreme Clientele (Dirty Money, #3)
More about Karen Williams...

The People Vs. Cashmere (2 books)
  • The People vs Cashmere 2
Harlem On Lock Thug In Me Sweet Giselle Dirty To The Grave The Demise of Alexis Vancamp