Start by marking “Star” as Want to Read:
Star

Star

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  6,989 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews
Young, innocent and strikingly beautiful Crystal Wyatt was an outcast, envied and resented by all but her devoted father, with whom she shared a deep love for their remote California ranch. When her father dies, Crystal is alone and unprotected. Devastating events shake the once peaceful valley. With nothing but her dreams, her beauty, and her awe-inspiring voice, Crystal ...more
410 pages
Published 1994 by Warner (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star

Brandy
Aug 10, 2010 Brandy rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was very young and have revisited it over the years. This book is really one of my favorites, but I couldn't bring myself to give it 5 stars. Crystal and Spencer (the main characters in the story) obviously love one another very much, however, they make so many mistakes and it takes years and years for them to end up together. So many years wasted - it literally gave me anxiety attacks. I found myself actually getting angry with them (as if they were actual people) and I ...more
Jenny George
Jul 27, 2015 Jenny George rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-and-have
4 stars.

-Story of Crystal Wyatt. (Her life was always surrounded by Hollywood. In Dreams at first and in reality when she was 18.)

I was not much intrigued by the book, but my friend Ann was, and I think it's an emotional roller-coaster for a lot others. This book will make you cry tears of happiness.

The ending felt rushed and I wanted more on Crystal,Spencer and Zeb's future (family)life at least as an epilogue.I wish there was more pages to the book, especially the last 3 pages could have been
Marla
May 31, 2009 Marla rated it really liked it
After World War II Crystal Wyatt, a beautiful young woman moves to Hollywood dreaming of singing and acting in films. She meets and falls in love with Spencer Hille, He thinks she is too young for marriage and convinces himself he's not in love. Spencer later marries someone, who suits his family and life style as a lawyer. Crystal makes it big as a Hollywood star. When the characters meet again they realize they are destined to be together. However, there's a lot of suffering on the way. I thin ...more
Amanda
May 24, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Read this book as a teenager and I always find myself coming back to it! All time favorite.
Rekha
Aug 03, 2009 Rekha rated it did not like it
Shelves: adultfiction
My friends and I, when we were freshman in college, got a hold of a copy of this book and read it aloud to each other each night, a chapter at a time, and we laughed until we wanted to die every single night. It was good times.
Raegan Billinger
Jan 26, 2014 Raegan Billinger rated it did not like it
DNF. Abandoned at 15% because I couldn't take another mention of Crystal's "amazingness" or "beauty" or how she was in love with a guy she met once and who was twice her age. (Shudder)
Marnie
Sep 22, 2009 Marnie rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Enjoyed the movie better than the book. Can you believe that one?
Ushlah Aluthge
Oct 31, 2012 Ushlah Aluthge rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Another heart touching book!
I really don’t understand how Danielle Steel could write so touching book.
Or maybe because it’s always based on a girl.
A girl (Crystal) has known this guy (Spencer) when she was fourteen years old-he did ask her to marry him-but not the right time –always! –They find each other again once he’s engaged to another girl –then again after he gets married to his fiancée- Then he realized that he does not love his wife.

The girl (Crystal) mixed up with another guy & thin
Selene Gudino
Jun 03, 2009 Selene Gudino rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2009
A sweet love story about a girl who wants to become a hollywood star and a guy involved in the military.
I've read quiet a few books of Danielle Steel and i've cried and laugh a lot with most of them, but sadly this wasn't one of the finest works from Mrs. Steel. I feel that the story needed a little more of strenght, it was a little more predictable that it should have (when you've read a lot you kindda see it comming). But even though, it is a nice read.
If you liked this book you'll really en
Brittany
Apr 30, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, though I don't agree with some of the choices that the characters made. Steel repeats herself constantly, telling us over and over how beautiful Crystal is, as if we'd forget that she, or any of Steel's characters for that matter, are anything but stunningly beautiful. But overall a great read about one woman's ability to survive.

Anie  Bats
Apr 12, 2016 Anie Bats rated it it was amazing
A nice love story about a girl who wanted to become a Hollywood star. The problems and bad people she had to face which is a reality. It's the harsh reality shown that is often seen in this stream. The guy is involved in the military and the two people are not able to meet until the end but thank god, it was it was a happy ending that kept the good mood.
Cara Byrne
I liked the story, classic Danielle Steel where two people can't be together for whatever reason but it all works out in the end. I saw another review on here where somebody remarked on her repeating herself on numerous occasions as if she's trying to pad the book out, which I totally agree with - that's the only downer really.
Umang
Dec 23, 2012 Umang rated it liked it
It was a little harsh what happened to the girl but I guess that's sort of reality. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Danielle Steel - I think it's one of her best. I enjoyed it all the way through and I didn't want it to end. It was great.
Brandy
Feb 07, 2012 Brandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This book started out much butter than it ended. Parts of her books are so believable and then it spins off in to the fantasy world. The relationship between Crystal & her mother after her Dad died wasn't believable. It also seemed rushed towards the end. It was an ok book though.
Sep 02, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: daniellesteel
This is a great book about multiple personality disorder. It was really fascinating to me to hear about a girl that dealt with a trauma and how that developed into MPD. I would definately recommend this book.
Emilie
Jun 24, 2011 Emilie rated it liked it
I read this when I was 13 and it was my favorite book then, but I doubt I would still love it as much.
HÜLYA
May 12, 2013 HÜLYA rated it liked it
Son sahnesinde resmen ağladım.Çok güzel dokunaklı bir hikaye.Mucize gibi bir aşk.
Julieta Steyr
Lo más admirable de Danielle Steel es cómo puede hacer en las introducciones que los personajes divaguen por su vida y que no parezca forzado. La historia, que fue convertida en película, narra las tragedias que vive Crystal desde su adolescencia hasta que es una adulta, pero no se limita a hacerla parecer una pobre doncella que necesita ayuda (al menos no todo el libro).
Sin embargo y pese a que parezca lo contrario, existen varios errores en el libro. El prejuicio de que una japonesa como Hirok
Venkataragavan
Feb 19, 2017 Venkataragavan rated it it was amazing
This will move you to the point of rage and then bring you back to a state of joy and calm. You will go through the whole gamut of emotions with Crystal, as always, the female protagonist.

Her rags-to-riches-to-joy story is a wonderful read for any reader who likes emotional books. There are parts in the middle where the reader will feel enraged, I very much did, at the injustice that happens to Crystal. These feelings will be all the more intense, after you read the description of Crystal's beau
Terralyn Brown Barfield
Feb 16, 2017 Terralyn Brown Barfield rated it really liked it
Couldn't wait for each new Danielle Steel book.
Lucy Lightfoot
Dec 31, 2016 Lucy Lightfoot rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the movie more in my opinion it was a lot better than the book.
Marie
Oct 05, 2016 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
From obscurity to Hollywood and the life of the wealthy, politics, law and the right social circles make romance seem impossible for Crystal and Spencer from diametrically opposite backgrounds but self awareness results from their growing attraction - will they leave all they have known ? Can a life together be at all possible. A mostly gripping story and a well-researched basis makes for great dramatic moments, as the story unfolds. Great for a wet weekend or holiday and a good break from non f ...more
Cat Ellington
Dec 21, 2016 Cat Ellington rated it it was amazing
I must admit that prior to reading Danielle Steel's Star, I had not shown any interest in Steel's novels; for the ones about which I'd heard all sounded like Knot's Landing in novel fiction ...

But after reading Star, I'd developed a genuine respect for the fictional storytelling of Ms. Steel, and I don't feel that those made-for-TV movies based on her books do the novels themselves any justice.

About a month after its release, after I finally read the synopsis, I went out and purchased Star in
Leri
Jan 03, 2017 Leri rated it liked it
I was tired of reading how persistant the author told us about Crystal's perfection.

Stasha
Jul 22, 2015 Stasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read the synopsis of "Star" several years ago but could not remember what it was about. Nevertheless I decided to give it a try.

It was certainly not the best Danielle Steel novel that I have read but it was satisfactory. I knew how it was going to end,that the two main characters,Spencer Hill and Crystal Wyatt, would end up together.I just did not know how.

The story spans a 14-year period,set mostly in California,in the late 40s up to 1963.Not to give much away but from the outside it appe
Marcie
Jan 05, 2014 Marcie rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-regular
I found myself enjoying this book despite myself, which is why I give it only 3 stars. I think the characters are fairly interesting, but the romance aspects are on-again and off-again so often that it's a bit too much drama for my personal taste. Then again, anyone who is a "star" gets cloaked in the traditional concepts of drama...so it's not so far out there. Danielle Steele is a novelist who writes in the romance genre, typically, and I enjoy that aspect. This book I picked up at a local lib ...more
Kristen
Apr 18, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
If you've missed the 1990s TV movie version and want to relive it in the print version, you'll fall in love with Danielle Steel's Star. We were introduced to Crystal Wyatt, a young, innocent and striking beautiful woman who was resented by all, except for her loving father. They both shared the love for his California ranch. And when her father dies, it left Crystal alone and unprotected. When devastating events happened in her peaceful valley, she escaped with her dreams, beauty and voice, she ...more
ice cold seduction aka kiss of a sniper
Ich habe nur 15 % gelesen, und konnte nicht mehr weiter. Zu langatmig, zu viele Wiederholungen, dadurch sehr nervig; Reines Erzählen, fast keine Handlungen.

Die Hauptprotagonistin ist eine Märchenfigur, nicht real, nicht lebendig, kann mich mit ihr überhaupt nicht identifizieren ganz zu schweigen davon, ihr ein ganzes Buch lang zu folgen und mit ihr mitzufühlen. Das Buch ist eher etwas für kleine 14-16 jährige Mädchen.

Da ich nur so wenig gelesen habe, vergebe ich keine Sterne; Wenn aber, dann wär
Nedeauk
Feb 25, 2014 Nedeauk rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorites. There is love and hatred, happiness and sadness, birth and death. It is beautifully written, and it is worth it. I have read it more than five times, and the first time reading it was 4 years ago. This is also coming from someone who barely re-reads books. I lent my copy to a friend and she moved away (with it still in her possession) so I had to buy another! Read it. Love it.
Barbara Darrin
Mar 26, 2014 Barbara Darrin rated it liked it
One star rating at best. This tedious story is too long by 100 pages. I got so tired of Uber-Wuss Spencer Hill and his constant indecisiveness! The ending was contrived to say the least. Why I kept reading this tripe is still beyond me! Definitely not one of Steel's best IMO. Would not recommend this book nor would I ever want to revist any of the characters in it.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. main character name is crystal [s] 3 29 Feb 01, 2014 12:28PM
Danielle Steel Bo...: Star 1 4 Nov 20, 2012 03:25AM
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Danielle Steel
  • Charm!
  • Till We Meet Again
  • The Gift: Home for Christmas / All I Want for Christmas / Gabriel's Angel
  • Crown Jewel
  • Forbidden Ecstasy (Gray Eagle, #3)
  • The Master Stroke
  • The Hellion
  • Dead of Wynter
  • Rock Star
  • Angel
  • The Rule of Four
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“She wore a dress the same color as her eyes her father brought her from San Francisco.” 0 likes