Start by marking “The Gift” as Want to Read:
The Gift

The Gift

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  9,840 ratings  ·  346 reviews
On a June day, a young woman in a summer dress steps off a Chicago-bound bus into a small midwestern town. She doesn't intend to stay. She is just passing through. Yet her stopping here has a reason and it is part of a story that you will never forget.

The time is the 1950s, when life was simpler, people still believed in dreams, and family was, very nearly, everything. Th
Mass Market Paperback, 275 pages
Published February 5th 1996 by Dell (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift

The Gift by Danielle SteelHeartbeat by Danielle SteelSisters by Danielle SteelKaleidoscope by Danielle SteelMessage from Nam by Danielle Steel
The Best of Danielle Steel
1st out of 45 books — 172 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownAn Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon
The "Can't Wait" Book of '09
252nd out of 437 books — 2,067 voters

More lists with this book...

Dey
I'd say that this book was mainly directed towards teens. I thought this book was very knowledgeable and interesting. I loved how Steele portrayed the idea that there is a reason for everyone who enters your life, and there is also a reason for their leaving. Also that not everyone is meant to be a part of your life forever, but some are only there to bring a "gift," not saying what that gift might be.
Ken-ichi
As I was perusing the Rockridge library in search of a romance novel for my month of trash, I felt unexpectedly out of place turning the revolving paperback romance shelves, like I had found one of the many hidden exits from well-adjusted, socially accepted sanity into the hazy fringe. This, I felt, was taboo. Which is exactly what this month was supposed to be about. But I had a mission, and that mission was to find Danielle Steel. I was a little disappointed to discover her shelved with the ha ...more
Tea Jovanović
Ovaj roman je moj prvi prevod... I moje prvo iskustvo s lošim nepismenim lektorom... Nažalost nikako da dođe do drugog izdanja i da se sve greške isprave... Otada nijedan moj prevod ne može da ode u štampu a da ja prethodno ne pogledam i ne odobrim lektorske intervencije... Valjda sam zbog tog prvog lošeg iskustva kasnije "kopala oči" lošim lektorima koje je sudbina povezala sa mnom (kod raznih izdavača) i koji su bili skloni da prevodiocima prčakaju neovlašćeno i nepotrebno po tekstu a da im s ...more
Aline
The Gift is a message for us to look around in our life and love what we have. A family that was reaped apart after their daughter Annie died of meningitis at the age of five. Annie had give the family the meaning of love. After her lost the family spend the next year isolated from anybody grieving their lost. Until their son Tommy start a relationship with a girl which happened to be pregnant. Maribeth had got pregnant in her first time and with no luck the father rejected her and the baby. Mar ...more
Pratima Das
This book is about a family who has a child after 10 years. Finally having a child was the best gift for them, they named her Annie. Everyone was happy because of her, she was the joy of the family, she was only five years old when she died, a senseless death.Everything was shattered from then onwards, her parents and her brother, Tommy didn't talk to each other for months. They used to get into constant fights, everything had for them since Annie left them.
In another part of the story this girl
Cristine Pia
Célia Loureiro
Este foi o primeiro livro que li - primeiro romance, subentenda-se. Foi no Natal de 2002, estendida no sofá. As luzinhas da árvore de Natal iam acendendo e apagando e eu julguei que não haveria sítio mais confortável no mundo que aquele criado pelo livro, o sofá e a árvore. Foi há muito tempo, já. Onze anos para quem tem 23...
Enfim, é um livro passado nos anos 50, sobre uma jovem muito ingénua que se deixa enganar por um espertalhão e acaba grávida.
É também a história duma família que perde uma
Aica
I wasn’t ready for the dramatic assault. Until at this very moment, the story is still in my mind that it occupies its own particular space in my brain and especially in my heart. Those who still believe in unexpected gifts that give joy and agony to life should read this book.
While reading this book, all I did is cry and cry and cry. Though I haven’t experience the characters problems, I can feel their pain and agony. My eyes were red when I’m finally done reading it.
Bu t I am kinda disappoint
Rina Giorgio
The book "The Gift", tells a beautiful story of a tragic loss of a child. The Whitaker family was truly blesses with another child Annie, but after she had died the family is in shreds and could never fully recover from what was taken from them. As they had lost one child they did have Tommy, who brought a girl home and she would change their lives forever.
This book deserves five stars. It is truly heartwarming and really emphasizes the true gift of a child. Thought the book is sad it shows gr
Daisy
It was a great story in my opinion on how this family overcomes misfortune that seem impossible to overcome. It shows how the love of a stranger is sometimes kinder than the love of a family member. What i like most of all was the fact that the story took place in 1950s where what the brave young girl did and acted was seen as shameful and now most young girls have done what she has and worst and now the way girl acted in the book seem to be how girls now a days are. As i was reading this book ...more
Julia Brumfield
Out of all the time that I have been to the library and perused the shelves I have run into Danielle Steel shelves. They appear around like dandelions wherever you look whether at a flea market, used book sell from a library or even just plain garage sells and yet I have never read a single one until now....

Coming into reading my first Danielle Steel I entered the book with the knowledge that many true readers either dislike these books or they love them. So where would I fall?

I cannot say th
Akhiii
Nice book
Viktoria Horvath
It was really sad in the beginning because Annie died, and I was literally crying.

photo 749582_zps7a0899ec.gif

I loved Tommy and Meribeth's love story, I also liked that Tommy wanted to marry her even though she was having some else's baby.

But I didn't liked the fact that she didn't wanted to keep her own baby, I was quite angry with her when I was reading the book.

photo 749583_zpsb4938216.gif

But other than that I LOVED IT!!!!!

photo tumblr_lpbzcuEJJI1qk2qp4o1_500_zps8b99c5c1.jpg

Joseph
I loved this book. Its like a romantic tale of two lovers that were brought together by chance. This book shows how one person can change your life. It shows how a family could be broken apart by the loss of one person and then repaired with the gift of another!! Great novel!!! One of my favorites by Danielle Steel. This book got me into her novels to begin with. If you have the chance read this book
Rei
Probably my favourite one of her's, next to "The Klone and I". As a favourite author of my mothers, I got to read a few of her books and I love her writing style.

This for me was a quick read, but it's such a lovely story and I ended up rereading it so many times. Worth the read, at least once. (:
Christa
OK, I will admit it. Danielle Steele is a bit predicatble. By the second chapter I had guessed at the ending; but reading the story and getting there was great. This is a total tear jerker. I would love a follow up story to see what happens with Tommy and Maribeth in the future.
Nicole Cooper
An absolute feel-good, warm and fuzzy, nostalgic and inspiring, dependable story! Can be read in one day and never disappoints. I love, love, love this book and so has every friend I've loaned it to. A permanent resident on my bookshelves. :-)
carla
this was the first Danielle Steel book I ever read. I cried after the first chapter. A very touching moving story. If you need a good cry this one is for you.
Dana
it's all about innocence. Innocence in it most vulnerable form. True love, separation, grief all present at its most vulnerable states. Will have you weeping!
Tehreem Khan
I think it is an absolutely amazing book, demonstrating life from a very different yet extremely true angle. Only that I would have given it five stars had the novel been a little longer and ended on Thomas Whittaker and Maribeth's marriage. Although I know that would have been a little too idealistic, still I would have been more happier and internally satisfied when I closed the book for the last time. Nevertheless, the way Steel beautifully connects her characters in such a miraculous way is ...more
Mandy Knapp
I wanted a page turner. An easy read. It has been forever since I have gotten into a fiction book, so I thought I'd try this. I had read one of her books a few years ago and liked it.

This one was a mistake. I always yearn for sweet stories without conflict. And now I read one, and it was ridiculous.

Perfect people always saying and doing the perfect things. The plot was evident from the beginning. The main character was so unbelievable until the very end.

I seriously wanted to like this because I
Ellen Chamberlin
"their slacks came off in unison" hahahhaha NO!!! someone needs to make this all go away
Heather
Loved it. Steel really makes you feel, I cried the whole way through this book.
Shanna
Be careful where you read this book - it made me bawl at the end!
Lindsay
Aug 30, 2007 Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a very touching moving story
Shelves: booksiveread
If you need a good cry this one is for you.
Susan
Read this back in my romance days.
Desiree reilly
THE book starts off with a family that a family was going to have a baby and lose it they have a son that they are very proud of but the anguish of losing a baby dad not coming home and mom is depressed and she not cooking no more.Now a young women show up in town she only 16 and lie about her age and then she is pregnant .,her family kicked her out and now she like the area and ask the restaurant to work.

She find a room to rent and then she keep working and now showing and then she worried abou
Miss Kodok

Buku hadiah ulang tahun dari seorang sahabat 3 tahun yang lalu,
tapi baru kepikiran menyentuhnya sekarang.

Keluarga Whittaker: John dan Liz dengan 2 orang anak mereka; Tommy dan Annie adalah keluarga bahagia.
Kepergiaan Annie yang cantik, lucu dan menggemaskan telah merampas kebahagiaan mereka,
tiang peyangga bangunan keluarga ini retak.
Rumah yang awalnya penuh kehangatan tiba2 menjadi neraka bagi para penghuninya.

Maribeth, seorang gadis lugu yang terjebak dalam kencan satu malam
(jadi inget lagu dan
Cotito Hernández
Bien, este libro lo conseguí de una de las tantas colecciones que suelen vender los periódicos de por acá. Nunca antes había leído algo de Danielle Steel, por lo que para mí era una novedad tanto el libro como la autora, así que comencé con una buena impresión la lectura de este. Debo admitir que me gustan los libros que poseen grandes dosis de tragedia y este comienza en el primer capítulo con una.

Son dos historias que se entrelazan por un factor en común. Uno muy importante y que hace que el d
The Houses of Hog...: The Gift 1 1 Sep 26, 2014 08:27PM
  • Danielle Steel
  • Till We Meet Again
  • The Tau Ceti Agenda
  • Then Came Heaven
  • Patrick's Destiny (The Devaneys #4)
  • Kentucky Sunrise (Kentucky, #3)
  • Everything to Gain
  • An Accidental Woman
  • Lies My Teacher Told Me About Christopher Columbus: What Your History Books Got Wrong
  • A Brave Vessel: The True Tale of the Castaways Who Rescued Jamestown and Inspired Shakespeare's The Tempest
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle + Driven to Distraction + Taken for a Ride
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...
Safe Harbour Sisters Kaleidoscope Fine Things Zoya

“Maybe some people just aren't meant to be in our lives forever. Maybe some people are just passing through. It's like some people just come through our lives to bring us something: a gift, a blessing, a lesson we need to learn. And that's why they're here. You'll have that gift forever.” 184 likes
“Not everyone is meant to stay forever.” 62 likes