Start by marking “Stella Street: And Everything That Happened” as Want to Read:
Stella Street: And Everything That Happened

Stella Street: And Everything That Happened (Stella Street #1)

In the tradition of the great detective novels, Henni keeps a journal of the events on Stella Street, recounted with a battalion of zany, 11-year-old truths and insights. When the Phonies move into 45 Stella Street, the neighborhood is in for a shake-up, explains Henni. Former occupant Auntie Lillie's open-door welcome becomes Mr. and Mrs. Phonies' magazine house of swanky ...more
Published March 1st 1998 by Annick Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Stella Street, please sign up.

Alex
Feb 23, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fifth star is for nostalgic wonderfulness. I first read this book when I was ten or so, and liked it, but then forgot what it was called. I've tried off and on for a while now to find it, but didn't have any luck until earlier this month. So I was, naturally, pretty excited to walk down memory lane.

This book is a lot more awesome than I remembered. It's a wonder I didn't start spying on my neighbors with my best friends after reading it, because even now I want to be just like Henni. The wri
Leir
Jul 19, 2011 Leir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-et-ya
I've always found it funny how, in certain respects, Australian children's writers have been better than "normal" writers at conveying Australian suburban life, and it doesn't come any better than this.

Unpatronising, with an enthusiastic first-person narrator and illustrations that don't detract from the text: Honey presents us with a funny tale that somehow manages to string together a tale of friendship with neighbour disputes and financial fraud.
The Literary Bystander
I cannot quite place it, but there is something about this series that always makes me return to it and reread it for the fifty millionth time. You could say nostalgia, but there is just a lighthearted element of just this being purely fun to read, if that made any sense.

I love the characters and how distinct they are, I like reading about a book with an Australian setting (because it's nice to have a book set in a place where I can finally relate to it, and not feel so weird for not getting a l
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The copyright says 1995, but it's so contemporary that it could have been written yesterday.

New people move into Stella Street. These new people are oh-so la-di-dah pretentious and snooty. The children on the street (as well as some of the more childlike adults) can see right through these phonies; in fact, the new people are quickly nicknamed Mr. and Mrs. Phonie. What is really going on at the Phonie house? It's up to the children (and some of the more childlike adults) to find out.

Nancy
Mar 01, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
A friend recommended this children's book to me, and I'd like to be able to say I liked it, but I didn't. Insufferable new neighbors move in next door and they are, well, insufferable, sure, no doubt about it, but then I thought everyone in this book was.
Steven
This was read to my year 6 class immediately after doing an in-depth study of Elizabeth Honey's novel "Don't Pat The Wombat". While entertaining, it didn't grab myself or the kids in the same way ...Wombat did. Reading both stories provided a great opportunity to analyse the author's style.
Gracie La
Apr 03, 2013 Gracie La rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My actual rating is ******************************************************************************************************************
This book is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jen
Jun 19, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
My all time favourite book as an 11 year old.
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from Allen & Unwin for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Hanni and her friends love living on Stella Street - until the Phonies move in with their fancy car and constant complaints, threatening to turn the peaceful street into a nightmare address. When Hanni investigates (ie: snoops) on the Phonies, she discovers that there might be more to their luxurious lifestyle than meets the eye.

A typical Aussie classic kid's book. Review to follow shortly.
Jessie
Dec 22, 2016 Jessie rated it it was amazing
A childhood favourite, still as good to read as an adult!
Michael Writer
Mar 02, 2017 Michael Writer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its a awesome book
Minn
Jan 25, 2015 Minn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: primary, formative
One of my favourite author's growing up, Honey does a fantastic job of carrying a mystery/thriller angle for the younger set, without making it too dark or complicated to understand. I love the train of thought narrative and the funny scrawled illustrations and the frantic pace and messy suburban life portrayed. Henny is such a great character - conveying the enthusiasm and righteousness that comes from having a loving community around you - and her rambling is both informative and believable, e ...more
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A fabulous tale of neighbourhood friendships and intrigue. Henni and the other kids on Stella Street know everything and everyone. They are quick to be suspicious when the Phonies move into number 45.

Cat
May 18, 2008 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the unique writing style in this book. I've been on a book drought for a while and this book brought me back. The story takes place in Australia on close-knit Stella Street. Some new neighbors move in that send the street into a ruckus. Who are these strange people and what are they all about?
Katie
Aug 10, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My primary school librarian recommended this to twelve year old me in an effort to encourage me to read. I don't think she had any idea that at home I was happily reading David Eddings, Leigh Eddings, so this book wasn't really my speed.
Rebecca
When new neighbours move into Stella Street, the resident children of the street are highly suspicious as the neighbours nicknamed 'the Phonies' repeatedly rub them the wrong way. They begin to piece together (via snoopery) the real and sinister lives of the Phonies. The kids save the day of course and the book is laced with realistic and often hilarious dialogue and typical Australian wit.
Hannah
Aug 19, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this when I was younger, was one of my favourite books. I lost track of how many times I read it. I remember borrowing it again and again from the local library until I finally convinced my mother to buy it for me :P
Candy
Jan 15, 2014 Candy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The interesting title, cover and the Australian origin led me to try this book. It has good character development, life lessons, and fun. I see it is a series. I could read another now that I know the characters.
Soobie's heartbroken
A dodici anni, Soobie scriveva:
Bel libro. Henni racconta la storia dei Finti, una famiglia - moglie e marito - che vanno ad abitare nella casa accanto alla sua Henni e i suoi amici faranno molte indagini fino ad affermare che...
Nat
Aug 06, 2016 Nat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fromchildhood
Read this book as a kid and read it to my kids just recently (which is wild to think about, in and of itself). Aside from the shift in technology (internet, mobiles, etc), this book feels barely dated. Completely lived up to how I remembered it.
etudeisian
Jul 14, 2015 etudeisian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australiana
I had to write a report on this when I was 12, over 12 years ago. I had to write a summary on every chapter. I did not like this book. The neighbours were the worst, I still remember they got mad after a fence was painted.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
As you can see from the image, the story starts on the front cover. Everything about this book is fantastic, the characters are well defined - it's such a good story to grow up with. I probably wouldn't like reading as much as I do now, if not for this book when I was younger.
Amanda
Mar 16, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I read this when I was younger and absolutely loved it! I cannot for the life of me remember why I no longer have a copy, but I would love to read it again (even if it is intended for a younger audience).
Jini
Jul 28, 2015 Jini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a child. Don't remember much about it, other than that I borrowed this from the library several times so I must have loved it.
Jessica Wing Si Ha
Childhood favorite book. Utterly hilarious!
This will definitely get the kids reading!
May be a little too young for adults, but enough comedy in it to keep you entertained
Rose
Oct 07, 2010 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
45 47 Stella street and Everything That Happened by Octon; Henni (2000)
Maria
Sep 09, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it, it is the best book my students say thak you for making this book
Kara Bianca
Jan 04, 2016 Kara Bianca rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was a kid and really loved it, but I never owned it. I'd totally forgotten about it till it popped up in my recommendations!
Celine
I remember reading these when I was younger and absolutely loving them! really ought to do a reread sometime.
Sally
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • Bijna iedereen kon omvallen
  • Uncle
  • Jennings & Darbishire
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke #3)
  • Brendon Chase
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Halinka
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich
  • Grinny
  • The Ship That Flew
Elizabeth Honey was a weedy child who always seemed to have a sore throat, so her parents didn't send her to school until she was nearly seven. The Honeys lived on a farm in the bush near Wonthaggi, Victoria. There were four kids and Elizabeth was number three. With her younger sister Mary, Elizabeth puzzled over jigsaws, played with the dogs, climbed trees and one way or another did a lot of pret ...more
More about Elizabeth Honey...

Stella Street (3 books)
  • Fiddle-back (Stella Street, #2)
  • The Ballad of Cauldron Bay (Stella Street, #3)