Start by marking “Stella Street: And Everything That Happened” as Want to Read:
Stella Street: And Everything That Happened

Stella Street: And Everything That Happened (Stella Street #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  376 ratings  ·  39 reviews
In the tradition of the great detective novels, Henni keeps a journal of the events on Stella Street, recounted with a battalion of zany, 11-year-old truths and insights. When the Phonies move into 45 Stella Street, the neighborhood is in for a shake-up, explains Henni. Former occupant Auntie Lillie's open-door welcome becomes Mr. and Mrs. Phonies' magazine house of swanky ...more
Published March 1st 1998 by Annick Press (first published January 1st 1995)

Alex
The fifth star is for nostalgic wonderfulness. I first read this book when I was ten or so, and liked it, but then forgot what it was called. I've tried off and on for a while now to find it, but didn't have any luck until earlier this month. So I was, naturally, pretty excited to walk down memory lane.

This book is a lot more awesome than I remembered. It's a wonder I didn't start spying on my neighbors with my best friends after reading it, because even now I want to be just like Henni. The wri
Leir
I've always found it funny how, in certain respects, Australian children's writers have been better than "normal" writers at conveying Australian suburban life, and it doesn't come any better than this.

Unpatronising, with an enthusiastic first-person narrator and illustrations that don't detract from the text: Honey presents us with a funny tale that somehow manages to string together a tale of friendship with neighbour disputes and financial fraud.
The Literary Bystander
I cannot quite place it, but there is something about this series that always makes me return to it and reread it for the fifty millionth time. You could say nostalgia, but there is just a lighthearted element of just this being purely fun to read, if that made any sense.

I love the characters and how distinct they are, I like reading about a book with an Australian setting (because it's nice to have a book set in a place where I can finally relate to it, and not feel so weird for not getting a l
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The copyright says 1995, but it's so contemporary that it could have been written yesterday.

New people move into Stella Street. These new people are oh-so la-di-dah pretentious and snooty. The children on the street (as well as some of the more childlike adults) can see right through these phonies; in fact, the new people are quickly nicknamed Mr. and Mrs. Phonie. What is really going on at the Phonie house? It's up to the children (and some of the more childlike adults) to find out.

Gracie La
My actual rating is ******************************************************************************************************************
This book is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jen
My all time favourite book as an 11 year old.
Cheryl
Funny, charming, exciting - but I just couldn't suspend enough disbelief to enjoy it as much as some other readers have done. Mostly quite light reading - the themes/ lessons aren't so subtle one has to do dig for them. There's a token bit of drama at the beginning, when an elderly neighbor dies, and another at the end, when (view spoiler) ...more
Celine
I remember reading these when I was younger and absolutely loving them! really ought to do a reread sometime.
Crystal
Such a fun easy book to read ;-) Stella Street sounds like a fun place to live.
Wayne Crowell
greaat noun and noun groups, similies and much more. overall a great story for all!!!
Anna Stewart
It was great for adventurers readers!
Kitten the Claire
Read this book three times now… it's a ridiculous and hilarious tale, made even better by the Aussie characters. Can't stop reading once you get to the end.
Rebecca
When new neighbours move into Stella Street, the resident children of the street are highly suspicious as the neighbours nicknamed 'the Phonies' repeatedly rub them the wrong way. They begin to piece together (via snoopery) the real and sinister lives of the Phonies. The kids save the day of course and the book is laced with realistic and often hilarious dialogue and typical Australian wit.
Katie
My primary school librarian recommended this to twelve year old me in an effort to encourage me to read. I don't think she had any idea that at home I was happily reading David Eddings, Leigh Eddings, so this book wasn't really my speed.
Cat
I liked the unique writing style in this book. I've been on a book drought for a while and this book brought me back. The story takes place in Australia on close-knit Stella Street. Some new neighbors move in that send the street into a ruckus. Who are these strange people and what are they all about?
Steven
This was read to my year 6 class immediately after doing an in-depth study of Elizabeth Honey's novel "Don't Pat The Wombat". While entertaining, it didn't grab myself or the kids in the same way ...Wombat did. Reading both stories provided a great opportunity to analyse the author's style.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
As you can see from the image, the story starts on the front cover. Everything about this book is fantastic, the characters are well defined - it's such a good story to grow up with. I probably wouldn't like reading as much as I do now, if not for this book when I was younger.
Nancy
A friend recommended this children's book to me, and I'd like to be able to say I liked it, but I didn't. Insufferable new neighbors move in next door and they are, well, insufferable, sure, no doubt about it, but then I thought everyone in this book was.
Hannah
Read this when I was younger, was one of my favourite books. I lost track of how many times I read it. I remember borrowing it again and again from the local library until I finally convinced my mother to buy it for me :P
Candy
The interesting title, cover and the Australian origin led me to try this book. It has good character development, life lessons, and fun. I see it is a series. I could read another now that I know the characters.
Amanda
I read this when I was younger and absolutely loved it! I cannot for the life of me remember why I no longer have a copy, but I would love to read it again (even if it is intended for a younger audience).
Jessica Wing Si Ha
Childhood favorite book. Utterly hilarious!
This will definitely get the kids reading!
May be a little too young for adults, but enough comedy in it to keep you entertained
Grace
We read this book in grade 4, and I really enjoyed it!
I read it again later, so it made a bit more sense to me then...!
Shane
It was an entertaining read, but just not my style of story. I found To the Boy in Berlin much, much better.
Shirley
I think this book would interest boys as well as girls and would be good for reluctant readers.
Zoe
Stella Street is really good it's about these kids trying to stop 45 Stella Street the Phonies
B
Very funny story of crazy happenings on a street in Australia. Lots of drawings as well.
Linda
I'm handing this straight to my 10 yo - hoping he'll have a bonza time reading it too :-)
Rose
45 47 Stella street and Everything That Happened by Octon; Henni (2000)
Maria
I love it, it is the best book my students say thak you for making this book
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
  • A Kid for Two Farthings
  • Uncle
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • The School for Cats
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • Grinny
  • Just Annoying
  • Hitler's Daughter
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Marcelino Pan Y Vino
  • Dog So Small,A
  • Quirky Tails (Uncollected)
  • The Sterkarm Handshake (Sterkarm, #1)
  • Tüskevár
Elizabeth Honey was a weedy child who always seemed to have a sore throat, so her parents didn't send her to school until she was nearly seven. The Honeys lived on a farm in the bush near Wonthaggi, Victoria. There were four kids and Elizabeth was number three. With her younger sister Mary, Elizabeth puzzled over jigsaws, played with the dogs, climbed trees and one way or another did a lot of pret ...more
More about Elizabeth Honey...

Stella Street (3 books)
  • Fiddle-back (Stella Street, #2)
  • The Ballad of Cauldron Bay (Stella Street, #3)
Fiddle-back (Stella Street, #2) Don't Pat the Wombat! The Ballad of Cauldron Bay (Stella Street, #3) Remote Man That's Not a Daffodil!