Killer Cuts (Dead-End Job Mystery, #8)

Killer Cuts (A Dead-End Job Mystery #8)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Helen Hawthorne's latest dead-end job is in Miguel Angel's Fort Lauderdale hair salon, where a trim can cost as much as a car payment and a blowout can wipe you out. But when one of the salon's most famous clients, gossip blogger and cable-TV show host Kingman "King" Oden is murdered at his own wedding, things get a little hairy and King becomes the prime suspect. To save...more
Published May 5th 2009 by NAL Hardcover (first published April 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Cuts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Cuts

Jenn
Another dead end job. You would think at some point that these mysteries would start to lose their bedazzle and pizazz. But, you'd be sadly mistaken. The life of Helen is a crazy and hectic one. And she never seems to be able to stop herself from being plonked right in the middle of a grisly (or cozy) murder. This time is no different with the groom at a wedding found at the bottom of the pool. Which is really no loss - the groom's a bit of a dick. Who is hated by many. In fact, I think the only...more
Alicia
A great beach read. I started reading this series a while ago and then forgot about it. A friend gave me this one, and I read it at the beach. Now I have to go back and read the ones I missed before this one.
Jill
This book wasn't as good as the last one in the series that I read. The whole premise is getting a little worn and I didn't feel like all of the threads were tied up in the end.
Viccy
Helen Hawthorne is on the lam from her court-ordered alimoney to her dead-beat philandering husband. She lives in Florida, using an assumed name and working cash-under-the-table jobs to stay off the books. She is working for Miguel Angel, celebrity hair-stylist when he is accused of killing the husband of one of his favorite clients. Helen loves her job with Miguel and figures out he did not kill the victim. Now all she has to do is convince the police. Helen and her intrepid band of sleuths, in...more
VJ
For a dead-end job, Helen seemed to like working at the salon this time. Most of her coworkers were decent folks and her boss loved her. She didn't seem annoyed or fed up with it most of the time.

This mystery revolved around trying to clear her salon-owner boss in time for him to do hair and makeup for Helen's backyard wedding to Phil. The book ended unexpectedly and rather annoyingly simply because I want to read the next one and the library didn't have a copy on the shelf...

This book was more...more
Darcy
This series is a fun easy read. The most fun of the book is seeing what crappy job Helen has. This time around it isn't so bad, she is a gofer in a hair salon. She manages to stumble upon a murder and feels like she must solve it to help her boss. All the while she is planning her own wedding. The cast of characters is funny as always, and we see the curse of apartment 2C. With all the misfits that live at the Coranado, I kinda wish I lived there too. In the end Helen figures out the murderer, j...more
Andrea Mcintyre
I love these dead-end job mystery books :)
Susan
For a change, Helen Hathaway has a fairly pleasant job at a top beauty salon. Ironically, she finds herself helping Carlos, her Cuban-American boss at a big wedding: Honey, desperate to marry a wealthy man, is settling for vicious gossip-monger King. He dies after the ceremony, and Carlos and Honey are both suspected. To keep the salon from closing, Helen persuades Nick to help her investigate, even though the two are supposed to be planning their much-smaller wedding.
Ed
#8 in the Dead End Job series - a below average entry but still an enjoyable beach read.

Dead End Job series - Helen Hawthorne, working at Miguel Angel's beauty salon, assists Miguel with Honey, the fiancee of "King" Oden, a gossip blogger. After the couple exchange "I dos", someone shoves King into his pool, where he drowns. Miguel is a top suspect in King's murder. To clear Miguel, Helen investigates other suspects. Meanwhile, Helen must plan her wedding.
Linda Smatzny
This is the eighth book in the Dead - End Job Mystery series. The main character, Helen Hawthorne, is working in a hair salon. She is also planning her wedding to Phil. The owner of the salon becomes the prime suspect in a killing so Helen decides to clear him. The series is set in Fort Lauderdale , Florida.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
I recommend this to cozy mystery readers who also watch Split Ends and Tabitha's Salon Takeovers.
I can hardly wait for the next novel in this series because the action in the last chapter really thwarted Helen Hawthorne. Darn you, Elaine Viets and your dastardly plotting!
Linet Henry
I found this a engaging, quick read with a nice sense of place. The Coronado and the landlady there put me in mind of Mother Mucca and Tales of the City (Armstead Maupin). I've just come to Ft. Laudrrdale and am located near Las Olas. this story made me feel welcome.
Cindy
Wow. And not in a good way. This is supposed to be funny? What a simpleton book. Third grade sentences, stupid dialogue, big leaps between scenes. This is a dead-end book which I discarded after about a dozen pages. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....
Susan
There's nothing deep in the writing or plotting of the books in this series, but Helen, Phil and Margery feel like old friends. They're fun to be around as Helen moves from one low-paying job to another. A great book for escape reading!
MonsterAteMy
I've read all the other titles in this series, and some have been better than others, but this one I just couldn't get into. I may try again later since I have the Kindle edition.
Toni
I really enjoy this series and loved the ending in this particular book.I find that Viets always comes up with twists (big or small) that keep the series fresh and engaging.
Elizabeth
Another enjoyable read in the dead end jobs' series. Helen is engaged to her neighbor Phil, with landlady Margery acting as the officiator. Do they get married, or do they not?
Diane
Not a bad addition to the "Dead End Job" series. Don't know how much longer this series can be sustained however...the end was a bit of a let down. Not very realistic...
Julie
The latest of the "Dead End Job" mysteries was a disappointment to me. It really was too tawdry and I spent most of the time being uncomfortable rather than laughing.
Linda
I'm probably being generous with 3 stars, but Viets' books are a guilty pleasure --- fluffy and mindless fun --- just what I sometimes need after a long day.
Fittytiff
Good But I think I am getting a bit tired of the same story over and over. That said I still want to know what happens to the main character next. LOL
Carrie
I had no idea this was a series when I started it. I need to read others. I found it funny but a bit far-fetched. It was a good, way read.
Leslie Angel
Like the people,good secondary characters, and the setting. Always good for a visit. Mystery a little thin but fun.
Hollyhocks
It was alright. I think it's along the janet evanovich sort of mystery books but not enough interesting characters ...
Alicia
Cute book. I bought it at Dollar Tree so I wasn't expecting much but it was really cute.
Sherree Chmitlin
I got so busy that I had to put the book down and will pick it up to read again later.
Mascanlon
Funny, solid plotting and right on commentary about todays 24/7 headline news groupies!
Nancy H
I really enjoy this series and eagerly read each one as it is released.
Linda

Fluff and mindless fun but I sure have enjoyed this series so far.
Stephanie C
A little slow on the start - but a good read for that series.
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #8)
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #19)
  • Die Job
  • Slightly Irregular (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #4)
  • Chapter and Hearse (A Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Meow is for Murder (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #4)
  • Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4)
  • Murder of the Cat's Meow (A Scumble River Mystery, #15)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu...more
More about Elaine Viets...
Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1) Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2) Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1) Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3) Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4)