Start by marking “Billy Brouillard : Le don de trouble vue (Billy Brouillard, #1)” as Want to Read:
Billy Brouillard : Le don de trouble vue (Billy Brouillard, #1)

Billy Brouillard : Le don de trouble vue (Billy Fog #1)

Ce livre n’est pas un livre comme les autres... Sa particularité ? Il propose à la lecture plusieurs formes narratives. On peut ainsi s’y immerger de manière aléatoire, tel un glossaire, ou de façon linéaire, tel un livre de contes.
Sa trame principale - la bande dessinée - relate les pérégrinations de Billy Brouillard, un petit garçon d’apparence ordinaire qui possède un d
Hardcover, First Edition, 142 pages
Published November 26th 2008 by Éditions Soleil

To ask other readers questions about Billy Brouillard , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billy Brouillard

Adela Cacovean
Originally published in both ENG and RO on my blog:

My Rating: 1/5

Review

I was intrigued when I read the description of this book and I didn’t hesitate a second and requested it on NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. I like Lemony Snicket’s books and since this book was compared to it, I didn’t think even for a minute that I wouldn’t like this one too.

Now I’m not very sure what the aimed age group this graphic novel is intended for, but I, for one,
Ninon
Dec 29, 2016 Ninon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Mais quel coup de coeur... <3
Aussi étrange qu'originale cette BD transmets de magnifiques messages aux enfants comme aux adultes : conserver notre âme d'enfant, savoir ouvrir les yeux sur le monde, ne finalement pas avoir peur de la mort et savoir dompter ses angoisses, laisser place à notre imagination pour rendre le monde meilleur. Bref, de sublimes dessins, une conception hors du commun et une ambiance magique.
Linak
Feb 01, 2017 Linak rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Ces 13 m'ont beaucoup perturbée.
Michael Larson
Mar 06, 2012 Michael Larson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating work. Part an existential look at childhood, part phantasmagoric bestiary, part poetry collection. I've read some complaints that it never really gels as a satisfying whole, but I don't know that it's meant to. Childhood doesn't follow a narrative arc- sometimes we're playing in the woods with our favorite cat, sometimes we're being cruel to our sister, sometimes we're wondering where we go after we die, and sometimes we're wondering what that scratching noise was at our be ...more
Kerry
Apr 26, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliantly twisted little story. At the heart of the story it's just a little boy and his first experience with death and trying to understand it when he discovers his cat has died. Yes, the book is a little scattered, but I think that's the point and essentially we are seeing inside Billy's mind. I love the creatures he invents and his bestiary reminded me a little of a book about gnombs (as in the garden variety and the universe they live in) that I remember seeing as a kid. Emily Stra ...more
M-AY
En dépit d’une idée de départ intéressante (Billy Brouillard, son don trouble vue et son imagination foisonnante), le parler peu enfantin du héros de 8 ans (ou autour) rend les propos et la réflexion développée dans la BD peu naturels. Et pour peu qu'on n'accroche pas à l'histoire, on ressort encore plus mitigé de cette BD, pourtant loin d'être mauvaise.
A découvrir quand même.
☺Trish
Oct 12, 2013 ☺Trish rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Creepy graphic novel about a budding sociopath, Billy Fog. Dark and unusual . . . which I usually enjoy, but a little too macabre for my taste. (Some reviewers have described Billy Fog as Burtonesqe, but Tim Burton's characters are always good-hearted, at their core. Billy does not fit that criteria, at all.)
Fabien
Mar 09, 2009 Fabien rated it really liked it
Quand Calvin et Hobbes est revisité à la sauce Tim Burton, cela donne un ouvrage drôle, attendrissant et original.
Melissa
Jan 29, 2013 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this, but it was just dragging and odd. :(
Sharon Tyler
Billy Fog Volume 1: The Gift of Trouble Sight by Guillaume Bianco is a graphic novel that is twisted and dark, but still somehow sweet. Billy Fog is a smart kid, with a great imagination, that just happens to have a dark view of the world. When he removes his glasses, Billy believes that he can see the hidden things of the world; ghosts, ghouls, vampires, and more. He calls this ability the "Trouble Sight". When his cat dies suddenly Billy goes in search of answers. This volume includes his sear ...more
Rebecca McNutt
This children's graphic novel was kind of fun but hardly original; these sort of gothicy kid's books have recently become hugely popular, here's just a few of many:

Dark Times
The Imaginary
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
Skary Childrin and the Carousel of Sorrow
Little Miss Evil
Anya's Ghost
Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper
That's just a few; they're all about the same, each one strives to be more and more eccentric, morbid, quirky and strange than its competitors, and in doing so they all b
Michele
This, and other reviews can be found on Just a Lil Lost

Rating: ★ ★ ☆ (2.5/5 stars)

When Billy Fog takes off his glasses, he's able to see a darker world that nobody else can see, full of ghosts and monsters. Full of short comic strip-like snippets, illustrated guides and various other story-telling styles, Billy Fog Volume 1 reads like a bizarre scrapbook of death.

The artwork in this is extremely detailed and intricate and the subject matter is certainly interesting. Each segment told a story abo
AnaisCouloigner
Feb 12, 2017 AnaisCouloigner rated it really liked it
Shelves: bd, fantastique
Étonnamment, j'ai été moins emballé par le premier tome que le deuxième, peut-être parce qu'il avait perdu l'attrait de la nouveauté... Je vais attendre avant de lire le tome 3 ^^
Minutepapillon
Feb 12, 2017 Minutepapillon rated it it was amazing
Tellement sombre qu'il en est brillant!
John
A graphic scrapbook with verses, ghost stories, entries from a homemade encyclopedia of scary or icky creatures and other diversions linked by a storyline about how Billy tortures a kitten to death and then mulls over life ("Seeds for kid sisters or kid brothers are found in a special store.") and death as he works his way through grief/regret. He pretty much tortures his little sister, too, responds violently to being startled or receiving an overture of friendship, and is thoroughly hateful al ...more
Philippe Lhoste
Nov 09, 2013 Philippe Lhoste rated it it was amazing
J'avais hésité à le lire, en partie à cause de son format, mi-BD mi-journal.

Puis j'ai découvert Bianco dans Spirou, scénarisé par Trondheim, et j'ai bien aimé. J'ai donc franchi le pas, et je ne regrette pas !

Le dessin est original, soigné, mi-réaliste (hachuré) mi-caricatural (les personnages).
L'histoire est plus profonde qu'il n'y paraît. Certes, il y a un jeune garçon et sa petite sœur qu'il martyrise, mais cela va au-delà des classiques BD d'humour bâties sur cette trame.
Il y a un peu de Cal
BAYA Librarian
Jun 19, 2012 BAYA Librarian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was skeptical of this book when I started it…it seemed like a darkly cutesy Tim Burton adulation at first. Then I was utterly charmed. Billy is a bright kid with a really dark view of the world, as if Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) went seriously goth. He has created pages of an encyclopedia that includes pictures, poems, folktales, really gross monsters, and a lot of information (mostly wrong) about life and death, all made up by him, interspersed with his thoughts and stories about what is ha ...more
Katie
Jul 13, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Weird book. Mostly the narrative of a death-obsessed kid:

"Who is death? What is it? Where is it? Do we have to go there? ... Santa Claus, you know everything. I know you know the secret of death."

I wasn't into the poems or other inserts: too kid-like. Shel Silverstein and Edward Gorey without the depth.

The kicker: it's another graphic novel that doesn't really have an ending: no character growth, no looping back to show a new significance or tie things up. Okay, so the kid was somewhat interest
A.C.E. Bauer
A dark graphic novel for teens, both creepy and somehow sweet. It reminded me of Edward Gorey's work, crossed with Tim Burton. The story told with poems, mock newspaper pages, a bestiary, and the occasional more traditional comic pages, has a gentle plot, even if the action follows a boy who expresses his anger physically and isn't gentle himself. It's a book that pays off if you read it to its end. The subject matter--what is death, and how do you deal with it--and particularly the way in which ...more
Maisys
Feb 05, 2017 Maisys rated it really liked it
Moi qui ne suis pas fan de BD, j'ai adoré cet univers ! Les dessins sont superbes et l'histoire est parfaitement dérangeante... mais drôle en même temps ! Une belle découverte.
Sasha Boersma
Twisted and sweet. Dark and honest. A little boy deals with the death of his cat by exploring the world of the supernatural. Linear story is interspersed with newspaper clippings and his own interpretations of life cycles and spiritual phenomenon. Illustrations are very Burton-esque and humour can be described as the "dark side" of Calvin and Hobbes. The book clearly says it is for older readers (teens), so don't be deceived that because of the illustrations and that it is about a kid it is idea ...more
Diane Greiner
I'm not not sure who the intended audience is for this graphic novel, but it certainly isn't for school age children. The morbidity is very high and it is a prime example that you can't judge a book by its cover. It also shows that I need to read every graphic novel before placing it in my school library. I will not adding this to the collection for students to read.
yaiza
Jun 27, 2016 yaiza rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, illustration
2/5

Este no está siendo el año de las recomendaciones.

Me aburrió cosa mala, no me gustaba el dibujo, el protagonista me ponía de los nervios y lo único que puedo decir a favor de esta obra es que el bestiario era bastante cuco. Por lo demás, no habría pasado nada si no lo hubiera leído. Me ha dado tan igual que ni me acuerdo de la mitad de lo que pasa.
Mika
Dec 03, 2011 Mika rated it it was amazing
Sublime album. Les illustrations sont proches d'un certain esprit Burtonien, tout en gardant une part d'originalité. Une écriture créative, originale, touchante et bien pensée par moments. J'ai particulièrement raffolé des courts poèmes et du bestiaire.
Lesli
Sep 02, 2014 Lesli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, lm-lib-loan, 2014
I'm not sure what this graphic novel is trying to achieve (or what audience it is trying to reach). If the author/illustrator was aiming for "weird manual for the budding sociopath/psychopath"...they hit the nail on the head.
Benjamin Bagenski
Mar 30, 2014 Benjamin Bagenski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like a Calvin and Hobbes fever dream.
Kristine Hall
Loved the drawings, but I had a hard time with the font and deciding who is the intended audience. Main character is 7, but vocab is much higher.
Elsa
Jan 03, 2013 Elsa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-gn, i-give-up
I'm sure this has it's audience, didn't do a whole lot for me.
Kayla Eklund
I loved this. Originally, I thought it was a children's graphic novel, but it was too dark and morbid for most younger children. I would describe it as Edgar Allen Poe meets Tim Burton.
Alice Paterra
A little too creepy, even it it is a graphic novel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • La tectonique des plaques
  • Neptune (Long John Silver, #2)
  • Criminal Macabre Omnibus Volume 1
  • The Grave Robber's Daughter
  • Return of the Dapper Men
  • Jenny Finn
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Graphic Revolve (Graphic Novels))
  • Le Chat du Rabbin (Intégrale des tomes 1 à 5)
  • Hawaiian Dick, Volume 1: Byrd of Paradise
  • Elisabeth (End, #1)
  • Laser Ninja (Lou!, #5)
  • NonNonBa
  • Peregrine Harker & The Black Death
  • You are There
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • The Abandoned, Volume 1
  • The Book of Leviathan
  • Le petit théâtre de la rue (Notes, #2)

Billy Fog (8 books)
  • Billy Brouillard : Le petit garçon qui ne croyait plus au père noël (Billy Fog, #2)
  • Le Chant des Sirènes (Billy Brouillard, #3)
  • Billy Brouillard : Les comptines malfaisantes : Coffret en 3 volumes, Imhotep ; La complainte de la fille l'eau suivie de La Petite princesse qui faisait mal aux gens ; L'Hôte funeste
  • Les Comptines Malfaisantes (Les Comptines Malfaisantes, #2)
  • Billy Brouillard - Les Comptines malfaisantes T03 : Histoires de Chats
  • Les Fantômes (L'Encyclopédie curieuse et bizarre, #1)
  • Les chats (L'encyclopédie curieuse et bizarre par Billy Brouillard, #2)