Start by marking “Clementine Churchill” as Want to Read:
Clementine Churchill
Mary Soames

Clementine Churchill

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When Clementine, Lady Spencer-Churchill died in 1977, aged 92, she had become a much-loved and iconic figure to the British public. In spite of being instantly recognisable as the seemingly serene, cool and detached wife of Winston Churchill, she had nonetheless shunned publicity throughout her life. In this fully updated, award-winning biography, her daughter Mary Soames ...more
Published November 3rd 2003 by Doubleday (first published June 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Clementine Churchill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clementine Churchill

This book is the story of Clementine Churchill, wife of the legendary Winston Churchill written by their daughter.

If follows Clementine until she marries Churchill and then follows both of them as a dual biography and works in the the story of their children. It is an insightful look into the lives the Churchill's. Their legacy and impact on the 20th century was huge and understanding them and their times is worthwhile.

A couple random things that stood out to me, the suffragettes were surprisi
As with anything English this book was wordy and tedious but the story and history was wonderful.
One of the most remarkable and inspirational books I have read recently.
Robert Davidson
Fascinating insights into a marriage written by Winston and Clementine's daughter who did not gloss over their "Ups and downs". Clementine was a strong character in her own right and had great perception of people encountered through their life. History may have turned out differently if he had married someone else.
I thought this was really interesting. I got a good little bit of British history, a really touching love story (yes there are rumors of the affairs but I chose to not think about them while reading this), and learned a bit about Winston Churchill. I would recommend it!
Andrea Young
This is a great book about Winston and Clemmie because it is mostly their letters to each other, edited and commented on by their daughter. A very personal look at THE MAN. Loved it.
Cecilia Chiolero
It was very interesting. It also gives an insight of how people in power lived, especially at the beginning of last century. Very detailed, but pleasant to read.
This book is put together through the letters of Clemmie and Winston. It is really personal. I like it. Makes me want to write more to my fam.
Very interesting, it tells a lot of history of course, but easy to read. clementine was an admirable woman,
Jun 24, 2012 Ash marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
A Midsummer Night's Dream (The Pelican Shakespeare) by William Shakespeare (2000)
Really enjoyed this. Stayed up late into the night to finish.
After a while got bored reading who she had lunch with.
Carol Simpson
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
It's a bear - may take awhile
Emma Dargue
Emma Dargue marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Julie marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Kudzai marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Denise marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Caroline Elizabeth
Caroline Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Colleen marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Tiina Mäkinen
Tiina Mäkinen marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Trish Hackleman
Trish Hackleman marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Bethany marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Nella Last's Peace: The Post-War Diaries Of Housewife, 49
  • Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat: The Great Speeches
  • Man in the Shadows: Inside the Middle East Crisis with a Man Who Led the Mossad
  • Uncrowned King: The Life of Prince Albert
  • Monk Habits for Everyday People: Benedictine Spirituality for Protestants
  • Shakespeare's English Kings: History, Chronicle, and Drama
  • We Are at War: The Diaries of Five Ordinary People in Extraordinary Times
  • The Last Thousand Days of the British Empire: Churchill, Roosevelt, and the Birth of the Pax Americana
  • Wellington, Volume I: The Years of the Sword