Start by marking “The Door Through Space” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

The Door Through Space

3.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  533 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Fangs of the Wolf World

Across half a Galaxy, the Terran Empire maintains its sovereignty with the consent of the governed. It is a peaceful reign, held by compact and not by conquest. Again and again, when rebellion threatens the Terran Peace, the natives of the rebellious world have turned against their own people and sided with the men of Terra; not from fear, but from a
Published (first published 1961)

Monica
Mar 20, 2009 Monica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the kindle version of this book on my iPhone. This was Marion Zimmer Bradley's first book, and it shows a great deal of first book wobblies. For a Science Fiction book, it is remarkable not science fiction in essence. Sure, spaceships are spaceports and other trappings of scifi are there, but she could have very easy left them all out (substituting more conventional things instead) and still had exactly the same story! The main character was someone this reader found impossible to like - ...more
Thom Swennes
Sep 02, 2013 Thom Swennes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I sped away from the starting line without even hearing the opening shot. This left me in an unfamiliar place causing me to retreat and start again. In the author’s forwarding statement, she stated that this literary attempt was in someway based on science rather than just fiction. Reading and rereading the first five chapters proves that I read this book with an open mind but my final review is far from complementary. I thought it read more like a cheap forties pulp detective novel set in an am ...more
Carolyn
I read this originally as a teen, when I first discovered MZB and read everything of hers I could get my hands on. I still think that The Mists of Avalon is one of the best books I've ever read, and I still love everything Darkover, but I have to say that upon re-reading this it really fell flat for me.

I see what others (and the introduction by Elisabeth Waters) are saying, in that you can see parts of the Darkover-that-is-to-come in this, her first ever novel. And of course, since I'd read this
Jared Millet
Jan 09, 2013 Jared Millet rated it really liked it
This fun bit of early MZB is available free from Gutenberg. The feel of the book reminded me very much of Jack Vance - especially the Demon Princes cycle. Race Cargill is a worn-out intelligence agent going on One Last Mission undercover on a world where the customs are as byzantine as they are dangerous, and one wrong move will expose him and get him killed. His quarry, Rakhal, is a man so similar to the protagonist that they are repeatedly mistaken for each other, and the line between hunter a ...more
Charles
Dec 07, 2010 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I listened to this on my kindle, after downloading it originally as a free ebook from online. There's an introduction that talks about Bradley's interest and affection for C. L. Moore and Leigh Brackett, and you can certainly see the influence here of Moore's "Northwest Smith" and Brackett's Mars. Although the world is described as "Wolf," it's close to a dead ringer for Brackett's Mars. I also believe some of this may have later been revised and published as part of a Darkover novel, though I'm ...more
Christal
The Door Though Space is a fun, quick read that likens back to the days of scifi/adventure pulp stories but with a little more thought and oomph put into the characters and details. My copy of the book even has an afterword but the fabulous MZB about how she grew up with these scifi/fantasy/adventure stories, but when she started to write and try to get published scifi had moved on to the hard scifi genre and she had to switch gears to get a contract.

This novella is set on the planet Wolf, in w
John Loyd
The Door through Space (1961) 115 pages by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Race Cargill has been sitting behind a desk for six years, never leaving the Terran zone on Wolf. This is ever since his run in with his former partner, Rahkal. Just as he is about to leave the planet, his sister, who is also Rahkal's wife brings news that Rahkal has left and taken their daughter with him.

There are people running around and disappearing and some objects, created by the toymaker, that may have hypnotic effects, but
AC
Jun 16, 2011 AC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! The setting is great and the characters are intricate and vibrant. The plot is intriguing and kept me on the edge of my seat. The barren alien world of Wolf is an amazing example of world-building that hearkens back to Burroughs, Brackett, Kline, and Moore. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a good book, the sci-fi/fantasy elements are present but not overpowering to what is just a really great story.
Dj
Jun 30, 2010 Dj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have been 5 solid stars, except I had a bit of a problem with the ending. Seems the author wanted to tie things up a bit too perfectly, which to me felt too contrived. Basically, this is a sci-fi Indiana Jones, except more scary, brutal, and bizarre. A wild ride that totally hooked me directly after the exposition.
Phillip
May 28, 2011 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old school sci-fi with a detective twist. I downloaded the audio from Libravox, it was well read and the book was an enjoyable listen!
Poonam
Jul 21, 2012 Poonam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I listened to this book via librivox recordings. It was free. I chose to read this because I had read Marion Zimmer Bradley before and enjoyed it. So this book was written in the 1960s (one of her first) and I think it shows. The plot was alright, but the characters could have been developed more. The main character was a hardened ex-intelligence Terran man who goes on a quest to find his niece and brother in law, whom he has a to-death fued going on. The adventure that he goes on is definitely ...more
Christal

This novella is set on the planet Wolf, in w
J.L. Dobias
Apr 09, 2015 J.L. Dobias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy and science fiction
Shelves: book-shelf-08
The Door Through Space by Marion Zimmer Bradley

I read this; because it was there. Well, it's written by Marion Zimmer Bradley and its one of the first novels of her's that was published. I loved The Colors of Space but honestly did not read much more than that because her stories seemed predominantly fantasy and at the time I was reading science fiction.

I'm almost sorry I haven't read more of her's- the good thing is that enough is out there I might still have time.

The Door Through Space demonst
Jim Black
Feb 18, 2013 Jim Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book gives you the feeling that it was a test run for her famous Darkover series. Among the similarities are:

1. Darkover is mentioned as another planet in the empire.
2. The Terran Empire appears to be the same.
3. The world is bound by a compact to the Terran Empire.
4. Dry Towns.
5. The Ghost Wind.
6. ESP is implied.
7. Women are bound by chains.
8. The world orbits a red sun.
9. Catmen.
10. "Sharra" is used as an exclamation.

With all of these common items, it would not take much of a re-w
Judith
Sep 07, 2015 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bradley's first novel, and it shows.The character and story development are a little weak. The story also ends rather abruptly. There is a lot of buildup and then within a couple of pages of the event it has been building up to it just ends. There was a lot of the story that was just left hanging.
Rob Damon
This book is pretty old and maybe that is why I found it awkward to read. The plot was not clear enough to follow very well and I ended up having to re-read sections to understand why things were happening and why the character got to where he was and with who he was. I'm glad I only took it out of the library and didn't buy it.
Ben
Apr 05, 2014 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun adventure Scifi. It's from a time before the more technical scifi movement gained popularity, so it's more of a western adventure with aliens and few spaceships. I liked the writing and the story was interesting.
Pedar
May 08, 2012 Pedar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As classic sifi it is a good indication of where sifi was. Probably wouldn't get published in the present competitive environment in its present form. Would probably be more polished if done now.

It is a good, quick, fun read. Good aliens. Very good world building. The characters are ok. The presentation seems unbalanced in that there is not consistency in degree of talent displayed. Some parts seem thin, and then there is something really good, a description, an insight, characterization,... but
Daniel
Dec 13, 2015 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the premise. The characters were interesting and story was cool. I didn't like some of the content though - sexuality and such.

Donald Franck
Dec 01, 2015 Donald Franck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Classic

Walk the dusty streets of the Dry Towns with a human agent in an alien world. Great novel that keeps you reading.
itpdx
Nov 15, 2008 itpdx rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm! What to say about this book?
It is a swashbuckling adventure set on a planet far away, a long time in the future. It evidently was written in 1961 and I got a big kick out of one of the trade items mentioned from earth was vacuum tubes (to a planet that the story gave no indication of having electricity!). There were a few inconsistencies. The alternative civilization was not well explained. There was very little character development and the ending was abrupt and not well founded on the re
Patrick Di Justo
Dec 26, 2014 Patrick Di Justo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Space Opera. Novella-sized, rolicking fun space opera. Nothing more, nothing less.
Norman Howe
Early Bradley has elements later used in her Darkover novels.
Kat
May 10, 2014 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, pulp-classics
GR just ate my review. *sadface* Will reconstruct later. Maybe.
Dustin Voliva
Fun, pulp science fiction.
Terri
Sep 28, 2008 Terri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Race is about to leave the world of Wolf and return to Terra after 6 years behind a desk. But before he can leave his sister Juli comes to him for help. Her husband (and his former best friend) has taken her daughter and ran.

His undercover experience is the most interesting thing in the book. I never really "got" the breakup of the friendship. but it was really the depiction of the women in the book that left a sour taste in my mouth and kept me from enjoying the book as much as I could have
John Yelverton
May 16, 2016 John Yelverton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short but enjoyable story which was full of mystery and intrigue that keeps you glued to every page right up until the very end.
Karin
Apr 22, 2013 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know this was her first book until i read other reviews, so I am impressed in that regard - first novel Wobblies and all. The plot seemed to jump around a lot and the characters could have been fleshed out more...in many ways it felt like a condensed book version of a much more detailed story. But the underlying story and mystery were captivating and had me thoroughly enjoy the ride. It might also have helped to be a tad less tired when choosing to read it!
Jimmy K.
Apr 11, 2014 Jimmy K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Well, I finished it, and she didn't say the phrase "door through space" anywhere in the entire book. I thought for sure if it hadn't happened by 160 that it'd be on the last couple pages but nope. I really do love reading old science fiction though. It's so fascinating trying to imagine THEM, in the past, trying to imagine US, in the now. I love it. She was careful not to be too specific so nothing seemed dated which I liked a lot. Not bad at all for a first book.
Susan
Feb 23, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, fun, intense, sf
The women of Wolf are beautiful, and deadly. The fashion and culture dictate they wear stylized fetters on their arms to show they belong to some clan or house. Those women who are unfettered….well, while more mysterious, they are also shunned by polite society. Oh, and there is torture too. Yes, don’t let me forget about the torture. This book has several things going for it and definitely encourages me to pick up more Marion Zimmer Bradley.
Madison Mega-Mara...: "The Door Through Space" by Marion Zimmer Bradley 1 2 Jun 01, 2013 09:01AM
  • Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)
  • Adrift on the Sea of Rains
  • Trouble With Tycho
  • Writers of the Future Volume 28
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • The Skylark of Space (Skylark #1)
  • The Girl in the Golden Atom
  • Metropolis
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Pale Rider: Zombies versus Dinosaurs
  • Gentleman's Relish
  • City at World's End
  • Crescendo (Inola Walela/Steven Hawk Suspense Series, #3)
  • The Spider and the Fly (The Spiderverse Saga, #1)
  • Consorts of Heaven
  • Planets of Adventure
  • Ambassador (Ambassador #1)
  • John Carter and the Giant of Mars (Barsoom, #11.1)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...

“By and large, the kind of science fiction which makes tomorrow's headlines as near as this morning's coffee has enlarged popular awareness of the modern, miraculous world of science we live in. It has helped generations of young people feel at age with a changing world.

But fashions change, old loves return, and now that Sputniks clutter up the sky with new and unfamiliar moons, the readers of science fiction are willing to wait to read tomorrow's headlines. Once again, I think, there is a place, a wish, a need for the wonder and color of the world way out. The world beyond the stars. The world we won't live to see. That is why I wrote The Door Through Space.”
4 likes