Start by marking “Hot Water” as Want to Read:
Hot Water

Hot Water

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  906 ratings  ·  71 reviews
At French seaside Château Blissac, J. Wellington Gedge from California wants to go home. His larger richer wife wants him to be a Paris Ambassador, blackmails Senator Opal, publicly dry, with a letter to his bootlegger in her safe. Jewels attract criminals tough 'Soup' Slattery and 'Oily' Carlisle, who mourn female partners here unknown.

Amid confusion of assumed identitie
Published October 2nd 2008 by Arrow (first published January 1st 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Water

Ian Wood
Dec 10, 2007 Ian Wood rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
Written at the height of his powers ‘Hot Water’ is Wodehouse’s most ambitious farce and certainly his most successful. It is possibly one of the most overlooked of Wodehouse’s farces due to it featuring none of his regular characters, although plenty of his regular types, and although is not unique in having a French location, it certainly is one of the few full novels to be entirely set in St Rocque, Wodehouse’s fictional Monte Carlo.

That none of Wodehouse’s regular characters appear is no doub
Mistaken identities. Compromising letters. Unfortunate engagements. Long-lost loves. Confidence men and safe-blowers and drunk people. Deliciously absurd and absurdly delicious, this is typical Wodehouse, and I mean that in the best way possible. There are reasons I love Wodehouse so much, and this book embodies all of them.

The only problem with his books is how quickly you get through them, even when you're making an effort to savor them. Still, in the end, you're left with a warm, satisfied fe
Hot Water is a delightful farce set in the north of France at the Chateau Blissac, Brittany and in London, containing a mixture of romance, intrigue and Wodehouse's brand of humor.

The story recounts the various romantic and criminal goings-on during a house party, hosted by the Vicomte Blissac. It was another reminder to me what a ‘serious business’ comedy is. Supposedly one of Wodehouse’s more elaborate farces; I appreciated ‘visiting with a very different set of characters—not that I don’t enj
One of the books that takes place mostly in France -- here, it's at the Chateau Blissace in St. Rocane (Brittany).

Our hero, Patrick Franklin (Packy), an American engaged to the beautiful Lady Beatrice Bracken, is an amiable fellow, and enjoys an adventure and a good time.

Beatrice, having told him to practice the cultured life and to spend time with Blair Eggleston, a writer, while she is overseeing arrangements for a family houseparty.

While seeking Eggleston, Packy impersonates a barber and me
Michael N.Wilton
“Gosh, I’m all jellied up with excitement,” gulped Jane on the line to Packy. “Listen...father wrote this letter to Mrs Gedge...but, by the same mail he happened to be writing to his bootlegger in New York, kicking about the overcharges in his last bill...And what did he do but get the letters mixed up, so that Mrs Gedge got the bootlegger’s letter, and Mrs Gedge says if he doesn’t make Mr Gedge Ambassador to France, she will give his letter to the newspapers!”
Caught up in her dilemma, Packy Fra
One of Wodehouse's best works! The plot was excellent, with a few unexpected twists that made for an exciting read. It also helped that the main character, Packy Franklyn, was thoroughly likeable. Fairly intelligent (unlike Bertie and some of the other young men that Wodehouse commonly portrays), warm-hearted and a 'man of action', his bright ideas enable him to get out of quite a few scrapes and eventually save the day!
J. Wellington Gedge hates the chateau in southern France his wife made them rent. He misses his old life back in California but Mrs. Gedge has other plans that involve staying in France. She needs the help of Senator Opal, a teetotal tyrant who tries to bully everyone, including his daughter Jane. Jane is secretly engaged to a penniless novelist her father would never approve of. What happens when Packy Franklyn, ex-Yale football star and bon vivant is let loose in St. Roque without his stuffy f ...more
An Odd1
At Château Blissac "late fourteenth or early fifteenth century" p 11 near French seaside casino town St Rocque, small J. Wellington Gedge from California wants to go home, but stocks crashed. His large rich wife has ambitions of an Ambassadorship in Paris, but Senator Opal thinks he is "pop-eyed .. cross between a half-witted fish and a pneumonia germ" p 52. "Moddom" p 10 blackmails Senator, publicly dry, with a letter to his bootlegger, locked in her bedroom safe. Also there, jewels gifted by G ...more
Jack Lane Barry
finished it on Friday updated now.
The plot gets inextricably entangled towards the end and just when you begin to think that this time PG Wodehouse has overreached himself, he pulls off a fantastic climax and brings about a denouement that leaves everyone happy, satisfied and smiling. Brilliant!
Like Wodehouse's book "French Leave", this is a twist on the usual Wodehouse with a plot centred on Americans in France, no doubt to appeal to his growing American public at that time. The format doesn't work that well for me.
I finally got to read P. G. Wodehouse. The great reviews of other readers had pointed me to the "Jeeves" series of books but I didn't want to start them till I could locate all of them and as yet I haven't. It was certainly no problem finding other titles. The library copy of "Hot Water" that I borrowed listed over 80 of his books on the back cover.

The story is set in the seaside town of St. Rocque in France, where a Mr. and Mrs. Gedge have rented the Chateau Blissac and are inviting guests for
This was my first P.G. Wodehouse novel. It won't be my last but, it might, regardless of the quality of his other stories, be my favorite because of the name that appears on the dedication page. Wodehouse dedicated this story to the actress Maureen O'Sullivan.
Unfortunately, today, O'Sullivan is best remembered as the mother of Mia Farrow but, in her prime, she was Jane to Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan and MGM's top ingénue starlet. She emitted a certain romantic vulnerability that attracted the
Ann Jacob
The first time I heard about P.G Wodehouse was from my sister. I wanted to find out a book with some comedy. And the first author she suggested was P.G Wodehouse. He is famous for his character 'Jeeves', so I have heard. I wanted to try books of his but I never thought that I will find one of his books in the library. I have seen this book many times before. It's cover attracted me and maybe, the title too. Then, I happened to notice the author and I was really surprised to see 'P.G Wodehouse'. ...more
Mary Catelli
It begins simply enough. Mrs. Gedge has guests coming to the French chateau she's renting -- the Vicomte, the son of the landlady, and she has firm instructions to keep him from drink and firm intentions of complaining about the plumbing, and Senator Opal, a firm Dry, whom she intends to persuade to get her husband appointed Ambassador to France. But this is Wodehouse. . . .

Two American criminals are hanging out in St. Rocque -- Soup Slattery and Oily Carisle -- and meeting up in a foreign land
There's very little mystery to the reader of Wodehouse about whether and even how things will be tidied up in the end, but that's not the joy of reading his books. Instead the delight is the rollicking ride he takes you on to get to the finish (which is not without a few surprises).

Here our protagonist, Packy, does indeed get himself into some hot water at the Chateau Blissac, where almost everyone is impersonating someone else, and hoax is layered upon hoax, all in the name of altruistic chiva
I didn't love this one as much as I thought I would and I'm not sure why. I deliberately chose it because of all the awful news of the Israel's berserk bloody slaughter being carried out in Gaza in 2014 I felt that I needed something to take my mind off it but in the circumstances it wasn't right. I ended up reading Bleak House instead which was more suitable to my mood. I'll try it again sometime.
This delightful novel kept me laughing throughout my final, and delayed, flight home in a way that only Wodehouse can. If you have read Wodehouse, you will know what I'm talking about and if you haven't, then I suggest you take two Jeeves stories and call me in the morning. Trust me, you'll feel much better. This particular novel is missing that character, but he is replaced by a full cast of tangled web-weavers practicing to deceive each other in the most delightful way imaginable. In addition ...more
James Bunyan
Because this wasn't written as part of a series based around one of his immortal characters, it wasn't his best. Yet, as ever, his turn of phrase is fantastic and he can conjure comic magic out of the most trivial of scenarios.
Dan Glover
This is a very funny story, filled with coincidences and quirky characters, as all Wodehouse books are. As I read this I couldn't help thinking repeatedly that this story begs to be turned into a movie.
Sue Berg
borrowed through public library's OverDrive service -- read by Jonathan Cecil;
provider Blackstone Audio
7 hours, 16 minutes
Release date:
Feb 08, 2012
Snigdha Agarwal
Contains a hell lot of coincidences, which in turn make for an interesting story; but I can't get myself to like his style of writing.
I am a huge Wodehouse fan - have been ever since I saw the old Penguin versions in my aunt's bookshelves and started seeking them out in my secondary school library. (My very first was Eggs, Beans and Crumpets.) This one, though, is not one of his better efforts. I don't know if it's because I have taken so long a break from Wodehouse that I found it difficult to get into the narrative (I took one week to finish it!), but it felt like the characters were all just loosely threaded together.
Yet another humorous story from the master of this genre. Yet more of his stock characters [loads of them in this one!] tangled in a most elaborate plot involving burglaries, political ambition, broken engagements, strange foreign gentlemen and, of course, people not being what they seem to be. This last factor makes following the tale even more confusing and the ending has more twists and turns, convenient meetings and fortuitous timing than a Shakespearean comedy.

The plot is not to be examine
"You don't analyse such sunlit perfection, you just bask in its warmth and splendour".. Stephen Fry

I agree 100%
Todd Martin
Hot Water is your standard Wodehouse situation comedy of errors. It's better than some of his books and not as good as others.
Diana Petty-stone
My first read by P. G. Wodenhouse and now I understand why he continues to have so many fans. Great plot and wonderful charcaters. I look forward to reading more of his works.
Great fun. I should read more Wodehouse.
My favorite Wodehouse so far. Hilarious!
Sunit Khot
What a joy to revisit Wodehouse after over 2 decades!
Service Solahart-...: Service Air Panas Solahart 08121303400 3 2 Sep 22, 2015 02:49PM
  • Wild Strawberries
  • The Poet And The Lunatics
  • Gossip from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #6)
  • The D. Case or The Truth About The Mystery Of Edwin Drood
  • Mr. Blue
  • G.K. Chesterton: The Apostle of Common Sense
  • Black Mischief
  • He Leadeth Me
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)