Start by marking “Brazen Virtue (D.C. Detectives, #2)” as Want to Read:
Brazen Virtue (D.C. Detectives, #2)

Brazen Virtue (D.C. Detectives #2)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  7,219 Ratings  ·  215 Reviews
Grace McCabe was shocked to find her sister Kathleen living in a grungy D.C. suburb, supplementing her income as a phone sex operator after a bitter divorce. But with the company Fantasy, Inc. guaranteeing its employees complete anonymity, how dangerous could it really be? Grace was soon to learn the answer when she returned home one night to a horrifying scene that might ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 279 pages
Published May 1st 1988 by Bantam (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Brazen Virtue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brazen Virtue

Obsidian
Please note that I gave this book 2.5 stars and rounded it up to 3 stars for the purposes of this review here.

Trigger warning: rape.

I read this for Romance Book Bingo: Love is Murder square.

So book #2 definitely does not work as well as book #1 does. The story-line felt very rushed (the hero declares his love for the heroine before they even make love, proposes marriage after they make love for the first time) and the serial rapist/murderer did not work real well. The two leads had no real che
Vera Neves (Sinfonia dos Livros)
Mais uma vez, gostei! Gostei bastante deste segundo volume da série D.C. Detectives e desta nova história que Nora nos traz. Novamente Nora mostra o porquê de ser uma das autoras mais amadas e mais lidas do mundo literário. É que não há volta a dar.
Conseguiu trazer-nos personagens cheias de personalidade e cheias de força. Inteligentes e que são capazes de tudo pela justiça e pelo desejo de resolver assuntos e traumas.

Opinião Completa
Carla Faleiro
Jul 20, 2016 Carla Faleiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: os-despachados, papel
Giro, giro, giro!! O detective Ed é qualquer coisa!!
Se já tinha gostado do anterior, este superou... o Ed é um personagem fantastico e a Grace combina na totalidade com ele. Uma leitura bastante agradavel, este estilo policial da Nora convence-me, nada de profundamente inquietante mas bom o suficiente para manter-mos o interesse.
mlady_rebecca
This was my first Nora Roberts, above and beyond a string of J.D. Robb books I read a few years ago. Not what I was expecting.

I thought the books Nora Roberts wrote under her own name were romances. How can you call a book a romance when the heroine's sister is killed, and the mystery is catching the serial killer?

There was a romantic component, but it seemed secondary to the murder mystery. And, for me, the romance wasn't .... It just didn't work for me. I wasn't attracted to the hero, and I h
Titinha Scaeiro
Estou entre o 4 e o 4,5... Faltou, faltou... A força das personagens do anterior, gosto Ed mas é calmo demais, gostei dela mas não é a Tess! Senti falta da pitada de sal e adrenalina do livro anterior mas gostei! ^_^
Sacha
Sep 09, 2016 Sacha rated it liked it
I'm not much of a fan of policial/crime stories. Nora is Nora and is always good, but it was not thrilling.
Andreia Morgado
May 27, 2015 Andreia Morgado rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Já estava com saudades de ler um livro da Nora e mais uma vez uma história excelente desta autora .Adorei o Ed e a Grace e o romance entre os dois
Tracy
Mar 25, 2011 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Victim of the Times
Writing murder mysteries has given author Grace McCabe a successful career, but when her sister is brutally slayed while Grace is visiting her in D.C., murder hits far too close to her heart. Struggling to come to terms with the woman her sister really was and who she is in the wake of her loss, a deep-seeded desire for justice starts to burn in her, even as a different sort of desire is sparked for her sister's neighbor, D.C. homicide detective Ed Jackson.

From the moment Ed
Cruth
Author: Nora Roberts
First published: 1988
Length: 279 pages, 4212 kindle locations
Setting: Contemporary. Washington, DC.
Sex: Reasonably frequent. Mostly closed door / fade to black.
Hero: Homicide Detective
Heroine: Author.
Trigger: Drug taking of BadGuy. Rape and murder of secondary characters.

A more intense romantic-suspense where we can see how quickly Roberts progressed in her writing. The plot is more cohesive with a satisfactorily complex storyline, interesting characters and solid suspense. I
Filipa
Oct 18, 2015 Filipa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
if I had to describe this book, I would go with a mixture of Criminal Minds and Desperate Housewives. Imagine this story as one of the episodes, one of those which are just like so many others. There's nothing new in here. There's even no surprise at all since we know before hand who the killer is and it's so predictable how the story will go on...
The characters were nice to follow, and the writting is good, but the plot is just mmeehhh~~
Tania Martins
Um bocado morno o romance entre o Ed e a Grace, achei-a engraçada em alguns momentos, estava a espera de mais do Jackson! Foi bom rever o casal anterior!
Patrícia Barreiros
Mais um romance super fofinho com personagens super carismáticas e um belo psicopata à mistura.

Descobri apenas que fazia parte da Duologia apenas a meio do livro, quando o vim registar aqui e descobri também que tenho o primeiro volume, mas funciona muito bem como livro independente.

Adorei a Grace e o Ed, com o seu romance delicado e delicioso, e a prova de como os opostos podem complementarem-se perfeitamente.
Fiquei super chocada com o primeiro assassinato, não esperava que aquela personagem m
Stefania Gil
Apr 14, 2017 Stefania Gil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nora Roberts es una de mis autoras favoritas de romance y misterio. Sus novelas siempre te enganchan rápidamente y la autora sabe distribuir de buena manera las dosis de suspenso para que no te separes de la lectura. Atrapada es una novela fácil de leer, con personajes encantadores y situaciones delicadas que pueden afectar a cualquier ser humano en la vida real. ¡Recomendada!
Laura V.
De lo más aburridito que me ha tocado leer de Roberts. La parte del romance es irrisoria: apenas hablarán un par de veces y están loquitos por el otro con vista de un futuro en común. La parte policial es mediocre: de los primeros capítulos ya sabemos quién es el asesino, solo falta atraparlo. Nada interesante pasa entonces y nada interesante pasa cuando lo atrapan.

Tanto Grace como Ed están bosquejados por arriba, sin tener muy claro cómo son in profundis. Me fui del libro con la sensación de n
 Mary
Nora Roberts no defrauda!!

Creo que lo primero que hay que tener en cuanta es que este libro es del año 1988, como se pueden demorar 26 años en traducir un libro escapa mi comprensión pero hay temas que en esa época eran novedad y que hoy en día no llamarían la atención como las empresas de sexo telefónico, la venta de productos por internet o las hackers y otras cosas como que estaba bien visto que los protagonistas fumaran como chimeneas y las enfermedades de transmisión sexual que también era
Sara Gonçalves
Nov 20, 2016 Sara Gonçalves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, 2016
Incrível como fui pegar no segundo livro de uma duologia sem me aperceber disso, hem? Contudo, só dei conta disso já a meio da leitura, por isso não parei. Claro que agora tenho de pegar no primeiro livro, não é? Como dá para perceber, este é um livro que se lê bem sozinho, sendo mais um romance com crime da Nora Roberts.
Os dois protagonistas são personagens interessantes se bem que gostava que tivessem uma maior complexidade. Gostei da forma como a autora explorou a relação entre Grace e a sua
Sara
Jan 19, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing
This was... often brutal, almost disturbingly so. It felt like Nora Roberts felt like she had something to prove, right before she started to branch off to the In Death series for a more comprehensive murderous tale.

There was an actual spoiler, which they actually managed to keep out of the back copy, and which almost gave me a brain hemorrhage. Unique not only to romance-thrillers but, I think, even to Nora Roberts.

This was well-written, of course -- I'd only be surprised if it weren't. Ed was
Gaby
Sep 15, 2013 Gaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Les recomiendo este libro. Si leyeron "Polos opuestos" y lo disfrutaron, este les va a encantar. Volverán a encontrarse con Ben y Tess y descubrirán cómo han sido las cosas entre ellos luego del final del primer libro de la serie.
Pero también disfrutaran mucho más a Ed Jackson, un policía cariñoso, dulce que tiene un corazón tiernísimo recubierto en un cuerpo enorme, que inspira más respeto del necesario.
Una historia de amor que me encantó, con una protagonista femenina sin vueltas, fresca y es
Joy
Apr 13, 2009 Joy rated it liked it
This sequel to SACRED SINS shows how much Roberts learned between the two books about engaging the reader. Bestselling mystery author Grace McCabe loses her sister Kathy to a murderer. Kathy was supplementing her income by offering phone sex via Fantasy, Inc, and that is how her killer found her ... followed by other victims. The same team who solved SACRED SINS works this case, with Grace adding her inimitable style.

Grace is the main POV character, an engaging and dedicated woman who has some c
Mar 20, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW!!
This book is the sequel to Sacred Sins. It was great catching up with the characters in the first book. This book was really good, and I liked it better than the first one to be honest. Until the ending. It was so rushed! I actually flipped forward looking for more. What happens to Ed and Grace? Does she ever admit how she feels? I just can't believe it ended with Grace shooting Jerald, Ed runs in a few seconds later, Jerald says some crazy things, they watch him die, an
Christina
Jun 26, 2014 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
A fast read, but somewhat predictable. And the rape scenes from the bad guy's point of view were emotionally hard to read. Also, it's obviously one of her earlier works, which actually gives me hope as a writer, since her more recent books (Whiskey Beach, The Witness, The Collector) are very well done. Take that, self-sabotaging voice in my head!
Donna
Aug 05, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing
I just love this book and really want to marry Ed!! I think Ed's character is the best part of this book; he is completely adorable. The romance and the murder mystery were also terrific and Grace is a strong, appealing leading lady! The last few lines of the book are wonderful.
Sonia Cristina
May 26, 2015 Sonia Cristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: português, 2015
Gostei muito, muito deste livrinho! Faz parte do melhor que Nora Roberts tem para oferecer, sem dúvida. Não só pelos protagonistas carismáticos e o romance que aquece o coração, como pelo caso de assassinato que investigam e pelos personagens secundários que constituem uma pequena família.
Joana Americano
Jul 17, 2015 Joana Americano rated it really liked it
Great book, with to much mystery!! In love with the characters, in love with Ed :) I love the way that Grace deal with the situations.
Congrats, Nora!
Alex Carreras
Dec 22, 2013 Alex Carreras rated it it was amazing
I loved this suspensful story set in D.C. Vintage Nora and just plain great!
PastAllReason
Dec 16, 2010 PastAllReason rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2010, ebook
Early Nora Roberts. Reading it years after its publication, it's interesting to see how Nora Roberts style has changed. Not to mention the changes in technology in use in everyday life.
Martina
Dec 24, 2013 Ande Jones rated it it was ok
Kind of dated
Nat Kidder
Mar 04, 2017 Nat Kidder rated it really liked it
Nice atmospheric novel about a serial rapist on the loose in an affluent National Capital Area neighborhood. Good suspense and character tension, but there was no need to reveal the culprit so early in the story.
Alma38
Dec 16, 2016 Alma38 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knjiga drži pažnju od samog početka, nisam ljubitelj ljubića u sklopu trilera, ali za onog ko jeste, topla preporuka :)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Three in Death (In Death, #7.5, 12.5, 22.5)
  • To Kiss a Spy (Kiss, #2)
  • Tempted
  • Suspicion of Vengeance (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #6)
  • Back Roads (Glen Crossing #1)
  • Innocent as Sin (St. Kilda Consulting, #3)
  • First Comes Love
  • Summer in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 3)
  • Taken to the Edge (The Guardian Angelinos, #0.5)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...

D.C. Detectives (2 books)
  • Sacred Sins (D.C. Detectives, #1)

“Optimism wasn’t always a shield against the worst of it, and acceptance wasn’t always enough.” 1 likes