Start by marking “A Long Way from Disney” as Want to Read:
A Long Way from Disney

A Long Way from Disney

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  7 reviews
These stories introduce Adam Berkman, a young man growing up in a world far removed from the depictions of American families he sees on television and in the movies. Like Boston to Orlando, Adam finds that his life is indeed a long way from Disney.

Tender, haunting and astutely observed, this novel-in-stories follows Adam Berkman as he comes of age in racially charged 1980s
Published December 27th 2009 by SethHarwood.com (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Long Way from Disney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Long Way from Disney

Infected by Scott SiglerEarthcore by Scott SiglerThe Rookie by Scott SiglerNocturnal by Scott SiglerAncestor by Scott Sigler
Best Free Audiobooks
56th out of 158 books — 475 voters
Geek Love by Katherine DunnLamb by Christopher MooreThe Contortionist's Handbook by Craig ClevengerA Dirty Job by Christopher MooreInvisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
Best Books You've Never Heard Of
425th out of 706 books — 644 voters

More lists with this book...

BigJohn
I feel that short stories are a lot harder to write than novels. I don't have a lot of experience in either, but what I see is this: A short story is more of a risk, as it foregoes a lot of deep character history that is sometimes crucial to a long form story. Often times, a short story has very little in terms of background; the reader is plopped right into the middle of a situation for which they must interpolate much more than they normally would.

The best short stories (in my opinion) are sho
Jerry
This book has been mentioned with significant praise in a number the kindle forums I visit. Based on the 5-star rating and the low price, I was looking forward to some good reading value for my dollar. But I was disappointed. The book started out strong, and the first couple chapters describing the plight of young Adam and his family held me at attention. But it went downhill from there. The stories quickly descend into a preoccupation with sex and drug use. Personally, I'm not interested in rea ...more
Mark
A long way from Disney is unlike Seth's Jack Palms Crime series, it is a slice of short stories from 1980's New England.

Now I grew up in the 1980's a similar age to Adam, and I really found the writing spoke to me.

I loved this collection of stories as a podcast, I have them on my iPhone and when I got my Kindle for Christmas this was the first book I purchased. 5 stars are not enough
Carla
I really enjoyed this dysfunctional-family tale, set in the 1980s and written by a grad of the Iowa Writers Workshop. I heard the author interviewed on Len Edgerly's Kindle Chronicles podcast and that got me interested in the book. I will probably read more of his now.
Mark
Seth can tell a story, whether it's his crime novels, or short stories as contained here. Many of these shorts were first published in prominent lit mags, indicative of their quality. Cheers.
Sam Bradley
Very different from what Seth usually writes, but a very compelling story!
Sonja
was different but good
Vikki Carley
Vikki Carley marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
David Bradley
David Bradley marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Marcus
Marcus marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Robert McCaffrey
Robert McCaffrey is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2014
Wc
Wc marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Elizabeth Craig
Elizabeth Craig marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
In 2005, Seth Harwood began writing his debut novel, Jack Wakes Up. No stranger to the literary scene, Harwood had graduated from the prestigious Iowa Writers' Workshop just a few years earlier and his short stories had been published in numerous literary magazines and anthologies; getting attention from publishers for Jack Wakes Up, however, proved more difficult.
So in July of 2006, Seth recorde
More about Seth Harwood...
Jack Wakes Up (Jack Palms, #1) In Broad Daylight Young Junius This Is Life (Jack Palms Crime #2) Triad Death Match