Start by marking “Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3)

Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness #3)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  7,509 Ratings  ·  563 Reviews
A Royal Spyness mystery starring Lady Georgiana, thirty-fourth in line for the throne - and the mystery world's favorite penniless heiress.

With its posh clientele in the country for the summer, Georgie's housecleaning business has fizzled. So she tries hiring herself out as a dinner-and-theatre companion. But her first client has quite the wrong idea. To avoid further scan
Published July 7th 2009 by Berkley (first published June 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Royal Flush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Royal Flush

Ingela
Review written June 27, 2016

3.7 Stars - Another enjoying crime adventure with the "Royal" family

Book #3

8:30 hrs narrated by Katherine Kellgren.

My new reading passion (started last fall) are all these lighthearted cozy mystery novels. A genre even better as audiobooks. I really liked the first two (Her Royal Spyness (4.2) and A Royal Pain (4.3)). It was yet again with a good feeling I started audiobook listening to a new part.

London / Scotland August, 1934

Always fun to meet the Queen's amateur s
Kate Bond
Feb 21, 2013 Kate Bond rated it really liked it
I don't know that I would enjoy this series nearly as much as I have this far if I were actually reading the books, but the reader of the audiobooks, Katherine Kellgren, is really phenomenal.

The mystery here is pretty lame, as was the case in the previous books, but Georgie is such a delightful protagonist, and the supporting characters (Georgie's flighty friend Belinda, serial divorcee mother, and, of course, Darcy the love interest being among the best of them) are a lot of fun.

The changes i
Kirsten *Don't Be A Grinch*
Never thought I'd be glad of a headache. But I am! I started this yesterday a.m. when I had a migraine and could not stop listening. Well, I did a little to go to bed last night. But I picked it right up again this morning.

Torn from the headlines! (Well,the headlines of 1932.) That's how I'd describe this book. I love books like this that are set amongst the controversies and scandals of a certain time. I also especially like this series for the characters. Plucky Lady Georgiana (34th in line to
Hannah
Jun 19, 2011 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I am honestly surprised that Royal Flush has not yet won any awards, because it brings us an even more enjoyable tale of adventure, intrigue and romance than the first two books, both of which I had already thought were close to perfection. It certainly deserves one.

This third installment takes Georgie back to her childhood home of Castle Rannoch in Scotland, after her newest attempt at earning money (advertising herself as "escort" in a newspaper) brings disastrous results. I've always enjoyed
Melissa McShane
Still enjoying this rather lightweight series, and maybe it's just that I was reading it in tiny installments on my break at work, but I didn't pick up on whodunit right away, so I call it good. I'm starting to be fond of the supporting cast, particularly Georgie's friend Belinda, who is just too shallow and sex-obsessed for words. And I *was* warming up to Darcy as Georgie's love interest; he's started to demonstrate that he's really interested in her, and there's evidence that his constant ...more
Summer Ann
Her Royal Spyness series is a fun fluffy historical mystery series set in mainly Britain and Scotland during the 1930's. The protagonist is Lady Georgiana who is 34th in line for the British crown. She is therefore burdened with family obligations but without the money or power to always fulfill or live up to them. She is a fun heroine to read about as she has a generally bubbly and funny personality, although she at times makes some silly decisions. In Royal Flush, the third book in the series, ...more
Daniel
Oct 25, 2010 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Light to read, I finished this book in one sitting down, not noticing that it's past 5AM already. There are more mysterious things happening in this third novel than in previous ones, although these things were never the focus until the later part of the book. The questions and whodunits are like afterthoughts to the life and times of royalty and the high society in the early 30s. It's like going to a party and then suddenly remembering when the party is winding down that there's a murder to be ...more
Susan
I always love a new Georgiana (34th in line to the crown), adventure. In this addition someone is knocking off or trying to knock off people who are in line for the crown. Georgiana gets herself unwittingly into a little pickle with the the police and in order to save her from soiling her reputation and that of the Royal Family she becomes indented to the police and placed on a secret mission.

Great history of people and machinery are peppered through out and there is always a sweet secret roman
Kathy Davie
Nov 05, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, history, funny
Third in the Her Royal Spyness historical-mystery series revolving around the Lady Georgiana, 34th in line from the throne and poorer than a church mouse.

My Take
Okay, it's a cute series with its premise as Lady Georgiana playing at amateur detective, but it seems to me that most of her detecting falls into the "oops" category. As in, oops, stumbled over that clue and, oops, there's another one. Darcy is going to have to marry her if only to keep her alive.

It's Bowen's characters that keep me c
laninaki
kari
Aug 20, 2015 kari rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This is a fun series. It is a more sedate pace than some mysteries, but that adds to the enjoyment for me.
The mystery is well done and while I did figure out whodunit, I still liked how it played out and it wasn't telegraphed so you'll have to see the clues. What I do like, and I've said this is other reviews of this series, is that the clues are actually there. The author doesn't withhold any information or surprise you with it. You just have to look at it correctly to see it.
I also like the de
Jonathan
Wow, this book was better than the last one, and I thought the last one was amazing! In Royal Flush Georgie goes back to her ancestral home of Rannoch and has to solve a plot concerning all of the people in line to the throne.

I really love Georgie, her innocence alone is hilarious and refreshing. You see quite a bit more of Darcy in this book, also, which isn't a bad thing, though I wish we'd be told what he does for a living. Belinda again appears, and honestly she's a bit annoying in this book
Susan
Royal Flush by Jacqueline Winspear is the 3rd book of the Her Royal Spyness mystery series, set in 1930s Scotland. Lady Georgiana, 34th in line for the throne but quite penniless, returns to Castle Rannoch with a secret mission: to find out who in her own social set is trying to kill off the royals. Georgie dreads a visit with her sister-in-law Fig, but this time she is most welcome, to help her sister-in-law roust many unwelcome guests. Georgie's heart-throb Darcy pops up now and then, at very ...more
JoLene
Sep 25, 2013 JoLene rated it really liked it
I am continuing to enjoy this series. On this go-round, Georgie has the brilliant idea to rent herself out as a companion to visiting business men --- she'll get free dinner and possibly theater visit and they will get good company. Unfortunately her ad in the paper makes it seem like an prostitution ring :-). The police get wind and strongly "suggest" that she leave London for a while, so she runs back to the family seat in Scotland, where many of the high society types are gathering for some ...more
Betty
Jul 16, 2015 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hunting Accidents

Lady Georgina has plan to earn money but it ends in a disaster and she is sent to Castle Rannock to help host a hunting party. Upon arrival Georgie finds that Binky has step into an animal trap and almost lost his leg. Fig,her sister-in-law is upset as the party of Americans are eating and drinking a lot. Before long she learns about near fatal accidents to members of the Royal Family. Darcy is present and he save Georgie when almost lost her life. Before the Royal Family is eli
Candace
Oct 31, 2014 Candace rated it really liked it
This is my second book in the Her Royal Spyness series by Rhys Bowen that I have listened to on audio and I have to say, IT’S WONDERFUL! I find myself feeling like I’m really there! The narrator for this series could NOT be more perfect! She nails the many accents perfectly! And there are a lot of accents! My favorite is Darcy’s Irish accent. So perfect! (So many explanation points! But I can’t help it!)

I’m still loving this series. I could probably devour them all in no time at all. When I’m li
Christie
Feb 22, 2016 Christie rated it it was ok
It was a quick, fun read with lots of interesting historical situations, but this book was also quite annoying. For one thing, Georgie's blunders are entertaining as always, but I am sick of Darcy magically appearing every single time to rescue her. I'm starting to think that if she sneezed on a desert island he'd pop up out of a submarine and offer her a handkerchief. That's bad enough, but there's more.
Okay, this is the kind of thing that drives me crazy in mystery books. There's been a shooti
Sally906
Apr 11, 2013 Sally906 rated it liked it
Lady Georgina (Georgie) is a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria and 34th in line for the British throne. Although a thoroughly modern Miss, she is very innocent in many ways. I enjoyed the first two books in the series because Georgie was very much out of her element fending for herself alone in London. She was not city savvy at all, as up until then she had always had servants to ‘do’ for her. Now she had to do for herself and even carry out some of the easier menial tasks that her servants ...more
Ren
Jan 13, 2014 Ren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm so done with this series. The first book was good, the second was okay, this was a waste of time. It's just a boring rehash of the same predictable plot. Yes, the characters were quirky and interesting at first, but instead of being developed in the next books they have just been flattened into caricatures of themselves.

Worst of all is Darcy. He shows up every time Georgie is in danger. Every. Single. Time. I had great hopes that (view spoiler)
Lauren
Feb 21, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
About fifty pages into Royal Flush, I figured out why I like this series as much as I do: it’s a mix of screwball comedy and murder mystery. I love screwball comedies, because they’re ridiculous, they know they’re ridiculous, but they never deign to break the fourth wall to make sure the audience knows they know they are ridiculous. They just revel in being fun. And that’s what the Royal Spyness series does: it fully embraces its zaniness and sees no reason to apologize for it. I’d even say that ...more
Kara
Jul 28, 2014 Kara rated it liked it

I’m going to die. Bother.

That sentence perfectly sums Georgina’s dry sense of humor as she tackles challenges big (assassination attempts) and small (annoying in-laws).

In my review of the previous book in the series I asked for more Wallis Simpson next time round, and dang if I got! She is odious here – you half expect bats to fly out of her mouth and flowers to wilt in her shadow. And she’s not even the main antagonist!

There’s a suspected plot against the royal family and G. stumbles about try
Dharia Scarab
Mar 20, 2015 Dharia Scarab rated it it was amazing

4 sta
Susan
I'm afraid with all my short reading spurts this story did not hold my interest so I am putting it aside for now.

Not the story nor author, but my own fault as I liked the previous 2 entries in this series. They were great fun!
Stefani
Dec 28, 2015 Stefani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
3 1/2.
Sandy
Nov 29, 2016 Sandy rated it really liked it
I liked it very much. I even liked the implausible plot twists when credulity was stretched. Georgie is a splendid mixture of adventurous courage, naiveté, and practical intelligence. Her retreat into proper formal behavior after years of cultural conditioning occurs under stress but she's really quite compassionate and egalitarian at heart. The many recurring characters in this series are quite fun and it's a pleasure to read a book that makes me laugh out loud.
Katy
Nov 13, 2016 Katy rated it it was amazing
Like every book in this series Rhys gives us a delightfully predictable storyline in the great tradition of British who done it" mysteries. Packed with charming characters and comical situations this read a been a great diversion.
Susan
This continues to be such a delightful series and I'm looking forward to listening to all of these books. The narrator does an excellent job. The mystery is tantalizing and usually surprises me at the end.
Dave Hay
Dec 03, 2016 Dave Hay rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
A pretty entertaining Agatha Christie type of mystery. First of the series for me, and do not think it made too much difference that I have not heard the first 2 installments.
Klay
Oct 15, 2016 Klay rated it liked it
This one was a bit of a disappointment...it didn't have as much fun to it as the first two, even though the setting and the mystery had great potential. I felt like Georgiana was particularly dull-witted in this one and things didn't seem to crystallize in her brain, which made me frustrated because it was so very obvious.
Also, the ending was exceptionally irritating, especially regarding Darcy. It seemed like the writer just got bored and didn't feel like writing anymore so she just smushed eve
Alycia
Nov 19, 2016 Alycia rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
3.5 stars... always a fun read!
  • A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily, #3)
  • Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia Grey, #3)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
  • Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
  • Princess Elizabeth's Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
  • India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy (Madam of Espionage Mystery, #3)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Her Royal Spyness (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4)
  • Naughty in Nice (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #5)
  • The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6)
  • Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7)
  • Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8)
  • Malice at the Palace (Her Royal Spyness, #9)
  • Crowned and Dangerous (Her Royal Spyness, #10)
  • On Her Majesty's Frightfully Secret Service (Her Royal Spyness #11)

“All he has is a mangled ankle. I have Americans.” 7 likes
“I know ladies don’t sweat, but something was running down my face in great rivulets.” 6 likes