Start by marking “A Vineyard in Tuscany: A Wine Lover's Dream” as Want to Read:
A Vineyard in Tuscany: A Wine Lover's Dream

A Vineyard in Tuscany: A Wine Lover's Dream (The Tuscan Trilogy #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  81 reviews
In this laugh-out-loud tale, two adventurers discover that rare combination: joy and success. Candace, a painter, and Ferenc, a writer, begin a new life near the hill town of Montalcino. They restore a thirteenth-century friary, plant fifteen acres of vines, build a winery, tame a runaway tractor, excavate an Etruscan village, and battle volcanic fermenting vats, while lea ...more
Published November 17th 2008 by Albatross (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Vineyard in Tuscany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vineyard in Tuscany

Stacy
A guy's version of *Under the Tuscan Sun* -- It made me hungry and thirsty, and I loved the insights into planting a vineyard and rebuilding a centuries-old house. Witty and intelligently written.
(Then the author bio says he left Tuscany to sail the South Pacific -- If I'd worked that hard on my home, you'd have to tear me away with a pliers!)
Annmarie
This was a mildly entertaining account of how the Hungarian/Canadian author, who is a writer by profession, found and bought a crumbling ancient friary building in Tuscany, rebuilt it into a family home, and planted a vineyard with four different kinds of wine grapes. Pleasantly descriptive & humorous & evocative of living in Tuscany, yet it kind of lacked a soulful touch.

I was conflicted about this book. On the one hand, I was interested in the details, such as the hunt for the perfect
Biblioteca Lardero
Un relato amable y divertido de cómo dos neoyorquinos soñadores luchan por crear desde la nada uno de los mejores vinos del mundo en la idílica Toscana.
¿Quién no ha imaginado una vida idílica en la Toscana? Ferenc y Candace Máté parecen haberlo logrado. Pero el verdadero sueño de Ferenc es crear su propio vino. Juntos aprenderán que para conseguirlo se requiere perseverancia, buen gusto y, sobre todo, la capacidad de reírse de uno mismo. Después de una hilarante búsqueda por sinuosas carreteras,
Gwen
I'm at about the middle of this book. Good points: it really is funny. If a book is supposed to be humerous then I want some pretty good laughs. One story brought me to tears (the Italian test to receive an agricultural tax credit) so I think it qualifies on this point.
Bad points: No photos or maps!! The book is about the renovation of an historic Italian estate for crying out loud. The descriptions are good and yes I can go haul out the atlas...but I'm not going to find every little town and vi
Nesrin L.
Feb 26, 2014 Nesrin L. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bored people, People seeking some laughs. Easy reading lovers
Shelves: my-2-pfennig
This was the 2'nd book out of Máté's "The Tuscan Trilogy", and I am still livid about the fact, that our Public Library had this one but not the first.
I really, really dislike (read, HATE!) it whenever I read a book series out of order, basically not reading from the beginning. But I was being repeatedly reassured by one of the Ladies that this was the first part. DX
Anyway, this is an non-fictional Autobiography about land-life in sunny Tuscany and about the process of renovating a House & c
L Denis
Definition vanity publishing. Poorly written and edited. Rich guy buys a house in Tuscany and restores it. Boring and cliche.

Tried the wine, and it was quite good, despite the $30+ price (in Canada, where wine is overpriced to begin with!!)
Linda
I loved this book and this author's story of restoring an 11th. century ruin in Tuscany so much that I visited the vineyard in the summer of 2013. Ference Mate's Brunello is astonishing!
Jeremy
It's a romantic notion, to move to Italy and start a vineyard. It's a romantic notion that I've thought about more than a few times, and even discussed with my significant other. So when she found this book in a used bookstore, I was eager to read it. When I realized that it was the same Ferenc Mate who wrote the classic sailboat book, From A Bare Hull, I was even eager to read it.

Ferenc has an easy going, humorous and fun to read writing style, and I found myself at the end of the book far too
Jill
I remember being pleasantly surprised by this book as well as amused by the antics of the Italians with whom they had to deal.
Steve Kierstead
Máté carries us through the adventure of finding and purchasing a house and land in Tuscany, restoring the house and grounds, planting and tending the vineyards and making (and enjoying) the wine. Lots of lively and quirky people, lots of misdaventures along the way, with the purchase, the construction, the vines and the bubbling, fermenting wine.

And other stories thrown in for flavor: I loved, for instance, the one near the end about Candace and the glider. I was terrified throughout the second
Brittany
I absolutely loved this book! It's such an informative and humorous account of Ferenc and his family making a big decision to sell their beloved home for something with land to start a vineyard...a dream of Ferenc's. Reading his trials and tribulations as he reconstructs his 'ruin' and learns to plant a vineyard is so entertaining it was difficult to ever put the book down! It didn't hurt that I read most of the book while in Tuscany, I must admit. And it has certainly added to my dream of movin ...more
Rachel Olsen
Mate is quite talented with words - this is not his first literary rodeo. Eventually, he becomes adept at Italian wine-making as well in this memoir. This book is his quest to start his own small vineyard.

If you adore all things tuscan (I tend to), you'll enjoy this charming read. It's an education in Italian countryside living and tuscan wineries. The author drinks a lot throughout the book, which I expected as much given the title. But if that sort of thing bothers you, you've been warned. Ot
Cynthia
I think I like to drink wine more than I like reading about making it. I would have enjoyed more development of the characters
Mary
Loved this book- a bit of everything... architecture, history, cooking, friendship... Looking forward to reading more!
Rachel Brean
I picked up originally because of my love for a. Tuscany and b. wine. It satisfied both but the story itself didn't keep my attention that much.

The author provided very detailed architecture and construction details that I could have done without (he restores a friary). Also, his sense of humor (Hungarian) was sometimes hard to follow.

The descriptions of the Italian countryside were very detailed and beautiful and visiting Mate's website and seeing pictures of the friary he restored (http://www
Joy
I enjoyed every bit of this heartwarming, witty, memoir that describes the way in which the author and his wife were able to "make their dreams come true". The book is filled with lovable characters, and detailed descriptions of all that is necessary to convert an old 13th century friary into a new home while maintaining the magnificent details of the original. The tremendous effort needed to convert the property to a thriving and award winning vineyard is well documented. The text is filled wit ...more
Maggie
Delightful book written in a way that brought the experience of creating and building the winery to life. Loved it!
Sid
A fun read--makes the heart, soul (and belly) yearn for Tuscany!!
Halli
Didn't move yet. Have to move tomorrow.
Rene
It's definitely different than Frances Mayes' Under the Tuscan Sun. I laughed at the family dialogue. I salivated over the food. I even clutched on to my chair as the Mate's drove around the hairpin turns throughout the hills of Tuscany looking for "the" property.

Is it really that affordable to live in Italy? Or do the Mate's make that much money writing books and painting? Where can I find my own villa to renovate and live in? And the food! Thank goodness for the recipes at the end of the book.
Marilyn
Was my bookclub book, chosen by a winelover. We did wine tasting of noble reds which was fun. The book however, neglected to mention how this person came by so much money, so that he could hire to have an Etruscan ruin/ house/vineyard turned into a world premier one - all the while buying an apratment in Rome, so his kid to go to a good school, and a ski house in the Alps. Of yes, he also went yacthing around British Columbia. Not only would I not want to be an owner of a vineyard, but----
Pat
Ferenc Mate already lived in Italy, but decided to buy and renovate an old abbey. He states early in the book that he is not a wealthy man, being only a writer, but this was quite an undertaking. Even though he put a lot of his own time and sweat equity into making this happen, this was almost a complete rebuilding of a 13th century building and the installation of a vineyard on the 70 acres he acquired. So an interesting book, but there had to have bewen quite a lot of money involved.
Yolanda Cortez
Me gustó mucho el libro. La manera en que describe y platica los platillos toscanos dan ganas de estar ahí para comerlos, confío en que iré un día a la Toscana y daré con esos lugares que describen ahí para disfrutar de esas comidas que solo los naturales de la región suelen conocer. Su manera de contar las cosas me gustó mucho, tiene muy buen humor y eso es importante. Y el amor que demuestra hacia lo que quire la tierra, el vino, su familia y amigos, deleita. Es muy entretenido.
Debbie Howell
Tuscany, wine, Italian food, a charming old house--the book had some great ingredients, but the result was disappointing. The author didn't win me over, didn't tell his story in a compelling way, and the book was poorly edited. There was far too much detail about the renovation of his house, and it felt like Mate was stretching the story out to fill pages. It was a cotton candy book--fluff that just dissolves when you consume it--there's not much to it, and it's not very satisfying.
Joe
A Vineyard in Tuscany is nice romp through the trials and tribulations of acquiring land in Italy, restoring a friary, and producing your own wine. If like romantic notions like travel, wine, etc, then you'll enjoy this book. You'll trot along to the end and realize that you too will now want your own vineyard. It's a good read, yet I found myself at the end just a bit unsatisfied that he had rushed through, what I felt, were his wine-making adventures.
Almira
Jun 26, 2008 Almira rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Almira by: no one
Well, I had read his first book and really enjoyed that, but this one really put me off, so I quit reading it.

I know that vineyards produce grapes, to produce wine, which most of us drink, but he kept writing about drinking so much that he was drunk frequently. I don't need to read about that, and I did not find this uproariously funny. I gave it 4 chapters before I quit, and that's 3 chapters more than normal!

Don't waste your time
Catherine
Memoir by Ferenc Mate, a Hungarian who purchased 60 acres with a 13th century friary in Montelcino. In just a few years he and his wife, Candace, remodeled (an understatement) the building into a home, relocated 2000 olive trees, and planted four varieties of grapes on their way to producing award-winning wines. The writing style is delightful – full of joy, self-deprecating humor, and a solid sense of place.
Anthony Rodriguez
A nice, genial story of the author's fanciful whim turned obsession. He does very well describing the joys of his life while brushing over the true difficulties (like massive expense) and making a joke of the annoyances. It's a light, enjoyable read of not so much substance. Fun to mentally get away with and dream of long nights in Italy with good food and wine and great friends. A pleasure.
Alyce
Jul 31, 2008 Alyce rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: noone
Recommended to Alyce by: amazon
Mate, an affluent braggart camouflaging as a self-effacing working stiff who just happened to buy an estate next to Banfi, reminded me of one of our college mantras; "Don't be humble, you're not that great".
The dialogue is strained, every punch line involves the family’s incomparable brilliance, and the laughs are too few to justify this ode to self-aggrandizement. Mate is no Peter Mayle.
Phil
A cross between Under the Tuscan Sun and A Year in Provence . Terrifically funny (albeit slow at the start).

Great tale of buying a farm in Tuscany, converting it to a vineyard and winery.The books he's written must have made Mate a ton of money, because he sure spent a lot to complete this epic project. The he just goes off sailing for a year - go figure!
  • The Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken: A Search for Food and Family
  • As the Romans Do: An American Family's Italian Odyssey
  • Lidia's Italy
  • Japanese Farm Food
  • The Olive Harvest: A Memory of Love, Old Trees and Olive Oil
  • Founding Gardeners: The Revolutionary Generation, Nature, and the Shaping of the American Nation
  • An Italian Education
  • Two Lives
Ferenc Máté has made a career of out documenting his own quests—whether it’s restoring a Tuscan ruin, building a vineyard from scratch, or sailing the seven seas.

Born in Transylvania, he escaped at age eleven when the Hungarian revolution was crushed by Soviet tanks. He grew up in Vancouver and has lived in California, Paris, Rome, the Bahamas and New York. He has worked on a railroad extra-gang a
More about Ferenc Máté...

The Tuscan Trilogy (4 books)
  • The Hills of Tuscany
  • The Wisdom of Tuscany: Simplicity, Security & the Good Life - Making the Tuscan Lifestyle Your Own
  • The Tuscan Trilogy: The Hills of Tuscany / A Vineyard in Tuscany / The Wisdom of Tuscany
The Hills of Tuscany A Reasonable Life: Toward a Simpler, Secure, More Humane Existence The Wisdom of Tuscany: Simplicity, Security & the Good Life - Making the Tuscan Lifestyle Your Own Ghost Sea: A Novel A Real Life: A Simpler, Secure, Healthier Future