Start by marking “Age of Bronze : Sacrifice (Zaman Perunggu - Pengorbanan)” as Want to Read:
Age of Bronze : Sacrifice (Zaman Perunggu - Pengorbanan)

Age of Bronze : Sacrifice (Age of Bronze #2)

Volume kedua dalam serial Age of Bronze (kisah lengkap Perang Troy).

Impian Helen menjadi kenyataan ketika dia tiba di kota Troy yang megah dengan Paris. Tapi kedatangannya yang meriah dicoreng oleh ramalan-ramalan liar Kassandra akan kejatuhan Troy. Tak ada yang percaya pada celotehan Kassandra, tapi petaka mendekat. Dari seberang lautan, satu armada raksasa mendatangi den
Published May 2008 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Age of Bronze , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Age of Bronze

Andrew
Oct 24, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrew by: andrew.edwards91@gmail.com
The continuing story of the Iliad characters (or historical figures, if you rather) preparing for the Trojan war. I had no idea that there were so many stories concerning this part of history, so this was a very rewarding read. I learned a lot more about all my favourite Homeric characters.

There are numerous interesting plot developments and character developments, as well as insights into the political and religious/spiritual systems of the ancient Greeks.

Shanower maintains his attention to d
Terence
Not much more to say here than I did in my review of volume 1, A Thousand Ships, except that his plot for this chapter closely follows Michael Kakogiannis's Iphigenia (which is not a bad thing, I liked that film).

It's just...uninspiring.
Chris
Jan 29, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I'm no art critic -- I like the art here just fine, and it certainly doesn't detract from the story. But the amazing accomplishment here is the writing. Shanower has pulled together the entire story of the Trojan War from various sources, including the Iliad, Virgil, and Greek mythology, in order to relate the entire epic from beginning to end. Not only is this great writing, but it's good research, and a fabulous retelling of the story of the war in one narrative arc over several volumes.

He de
Amalia Carosella
Aug 12, 2015 Amalia Carosella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still not a huge fan of Achilles. And Agamemnon pretty much has only one redeeming quality. The focus so far is still more on them than Menelaus or Helen (which makes sense considering the subject of this particular swath of the story.) But I think Shanower is doing a great job of making these figures into more complex characters -- and again, the art is just phenomenal from the historical perspective. On top of that, there's a great name pronunciation and glossary of characters in the back!
Merin
Jan 04, 2012 Merin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
In volume two of this series, you get a glimpse of some of Agamemnon and Menelaus' background, particularly the curse on their family that seems to require that they "consume" each other. The "consume" in one case - that of Tantalus, who killed his children, cooked them, and served them to the gods - is quite literal, while in all the other cases it typically means that they either killed each other, or did something that made one of them kill themselves. It's really quite the dark family that H ...more
Nicholas Siebers
Nov 21, 2016 Nicholas Siebers rated it liked it
A little boring and kind of horrifying. Wish this episode has been given less time.
Matthew Lloyd
For the first half of this second volume of Eric Shanower's Age of Bronze, it suffered from many of the same faults as its predecessor, Age of Bronze Volume 1: A Thousand Ships . To be more specific, those flaws are as follows:

1. When told in sequence, the story of the Trojan War is actually quite dull, most of the interesting stories being the Nostoi, or Returns. Indeed, many of the exciting pre-war events, such as the sacrifice of Iphigenia told in this volume, are best known from stories ba
May
Thanks to volume 1 establishing the characters and the variant storylines, volume 2 immediately focuses on the growing tensions and frustrations among the Achaeans, both personal and political in nature.

The standout storyline in this volume was Iphigenia's inevitable sacrifice and Agamemnon's surprising feelings about the whole affair. As previously mentioned in volume 1, I was slightly caught off guard by how Agamemnon was slightly conflicted about going to attack Troy. In volume 2, I was shock
Jeffrey
Jul 08, 2007 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: homer and virgil
second volume in the series. a near flawless continuation of the story. and the shit gets thicker. the story continues to focus mainly around the acheans, with only a quick stop in troy (as always, highlighting how big a buffoon paris is). this section of the story exists mainly around two large events, the first being the botched first attack on "troy" and the second being the struggle over the demand of the goddess artemis for the sacrifice of agememnon's daughter. both parts have their share ...more
rr
Eric Shanower is writing and drawing a multi-volume graphic novel epic of the Trojan War. I read the first volume (A Thousand Ships) two years ago, and it's taken me this long to read the second (Sacrifice). I doubt that I'll pick up the third. Shanower has steeped himself in all the variants of all the ancient stories that relate to the Trojan War, and his account has an encyclopedic feel to it. But by choosing to pack so much in, Shanower departs from the spirit of ancient myth and ancient epi ...more
Daryl
Oct 14, 2014 Daryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ambitious. This is the second of a planned seven volume re-telling of the story of the Trojan War. I believe only 3 or 4 volumes have been released (there's a 3A and a 3B, so I'm not sure if that's 3 or 4 of the 7). It's been many years since I've read volume 1, but that didn't distract from reading this volume (of course, having recently seen Shakespeare's Troilus and Cressida didn't hurt either). The art here is amazing, even though many of the characters look and dress alike. And there are a ...more
Chad
Oct 18, 2008 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spent some time on this and found it to be not only wonderfully comprehensive and a good composite of the story of Helen of Troy, but wonderfully documented--a great glossary of terms, an extremely thorough map of the characters, and dialog that was modern but not too "pop" for a re-telling.

However, the art was disappointing--very much in the style of 70's comic book work (a la Ka-Zar) with Kim Dietch influences, which I'm not a fan of, personally. I mean, Conan-style drawings are one thing, a
Amauri
Tragedy begins to unfurl. The kind of fucked up tragedy they teach us in school these Achaeans are all about. This is a gripping continuation of the first volume. The characters have all been introduced and now Shanower starts them hurtling towards their inevitable fates. Achilles and Agamemnon in particular come to life, however a lot of other characters left a mark. Shanower even does great work with the female characters, something I suspect the source materials did not make easy.

Shanower's a
Ryan
Jul 18, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing the story of the Trojan War. This volume continues to look at the build-up to the war itself; there are some initial skirmishes and conflicts, and we see how close the war comes to not happening, as the fragile alliance between the different groups of Acheans tries to keep itself together.

What's really interesting here is how Showalter depicts the Greek belief in fate. We're dealing with kings and legendary heroes here - the types of people that you would assume would be strong, comma
B
Apr 11, 2015 B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westend, borrowed
there's a period in the beginning of the book, where it is not clear who all the characters are. and it's tough because there are so many. and they're all inbreeding among small like-looking populations. but about a tenth of the way in I can start saying, "oh yeah, "the guy with THAT headband.

and then it gets good.

the intensity of the bizarre greek relationship with the gods is thrilling even if, well, bizarre. people are always challenging the gods and it almost never works. and then even when
Charlotte
Book II of the epic Trojan War. This book covers the build-up to the War. Accessible version of greek history. A little confusing with all of the characters, but could be overcome with a character map.

There are not page numbers which makes it difficult to go back and find things. This book also gets into the sexyness of the greeks- both hetero and homo sexual which could be a distraction to the historical content in the classroom.
Alex Penna
Jan 14, 2011 Alex Penna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know very much about ancient Greece or ancient Greek mythology but this graphic novel certainly helped my get a much better understanding of the story of the Trojan War. There's been many reviews that you've probably read that summarize the story and my summary wouldn't be much different so I'm not going to type one. All I have to say is that I suggest that if you enjoy reading graphic novels and you enjoy historical fiction, this is a book for you. Read it, you will like it.
Paul
Jul 22, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this second of seven projected volumes, Shanower continues his top-notch epic of the Trojan War. Considering that the Greeks never even reach Troy at the end of this book, this book could have been slow and plodding. Instead it is utterly absorbing. Put simply, I cannot think of any possible way this comic could be better. Some of the best comics of the past ten years.
Ryan
Feb 18, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Archaeology buffs, mythologists, fans of historical fiction.
Recommended to Ryan by: Wayne Chambliss
Artistically accurate and well researched aren't descriptions usually given to graphic novels. This fits the bill. I expected this to be a graphic retelling of the Iliad; it is much broader in scope, pulling in MANY other sources from myth, primary history, and academic archaeology / anthropology / art history. Projected to span 7 volumes. Well worth the time for lovers of myth and history.
Aurora
May 08, 2008 Aurora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manages to be both true to the source material and original, seamlessly blends conflicting versions of the story. I like this part of the story a lot, and this helped clarify some things I'm not sure I ever had right. I think this would be better the more you know, and I did occasionally get confused, but basically it's as accessible as an unwieldy story like this can be.
Elle Kay
Jul 18, 2015 Elle Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
This Age of Bronze series is simply phenomenal. It is so meticulously researched and so faithful to all history has offered on the subject. Shanower writes with a passion for a story that has far more depth than I ever knew existed and the Archaen army haven't even reached Troy yet after book 2 yet the plot is full with action and intrigue. Highly recommended.
Joanna
More of the Trojan war myth/drama! This one focuses on Ipheginia, so ah very dramatic. As I continue on with the Age of Bronze series, I feel like it becomes more educational, and less emotional for me. But, i do want to be educated about this story, and this comic is a great way to do that! But the excitement is wearing off a bit.
Amy
Apr 11, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book is a bit overwhelming - tons of characters are introduced, & they all look kind of alike. This one is way better. He does a nice job of building tension, & you get a better sense of the emotional lives of the characters. The art is getting better, too. He's trying to play around with the panels this time around, & it helps the story progress in a more interesting way.
Asa
Nov 21, 2008 Asa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Epic.
I am a big fan of Greek Mythology, plus its a graphic novel, so yea, on my top ten. The Oddessy of the Complete Trojan war, and the perspective of all peoples. If you have played the game 'God Of War' or have watched 'The 300' and liked them, then you will undoubtably enjy this book. I cant wait to read the 3rd volume.
Megan
Miss
Feb 06, 2016 Miss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
honestly i'm PRETTY SURE the primary thesis of age of bronze is destroy all men

like there'll probably be some stuff about glory and the remaking of the greek model of hero and all that stuff from the iliad but so far?

destroy all male characters of age of bronze

3 stars

(iphigenia, my poor baby ;_;)
Danie
Jul 15, 2015 Danie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: image
Okay, truthfully, so far, this isn't my favorite of the three books in this Age of Bronze series. I'm not sure why, but unlike the first volume 'A Thousand Ships' and the third volume 'Betrayal' this tome just didn't hold me as well.

Still, I was glad that I went through it, in a gigantic work like this, if you miss even a panel of the story, you're just toast.
John
Jun 01, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many ways I liked this better than the first one. Though, sometimes the characters look so much alike that it is hard to tell who is who. The book has given me significant knowledge of the anchient legends.

Very enjoyable.
pierlapo  quimby
May 27, 2012 pierlapo quimby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fumetti
L'opera sale di livello.
Meravigliosa l'Ifigenia in Aulide.
Qualcuno dovrebbe dire a Shanower che il suo Odisseo è sputato a Vinicio Capossela. Se poi penso che Capossela ha anche scritto Brucia Troia, mi viene in mente che potrebbe non essere una coincidenza...
George Marshall
Dec 18, 2010 George Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? Brilliant! I adore this series which is one of the best things in the world of comics. The writing is superb. The art is consistently good, is sometimes a little scratchy. And the tale is gripping. I have written to Eric Shanower to beg him to keep going for the full course.
  • Finder, Vol. 03: King of the Cats
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 10: The Brink of Life and Death  (Usagi Yojimbo, #10)
  • The White Lama - Book 1: Reincarnation
  • The Return from Troy
  • The Infinite Horizon
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 5: Black Wind
  • The Dark Horse Book of the Dead (The Dark Horse Book of..., #3)
  • Supreme Power, Volume 2: Powers and Principalities
  • The Fall of Troy
  • The Trojan War

Age of Bronze (10 books)
  • Age of Bronze Volume 1: A Thousand Ships
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3B: Betrayal (Part Two)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 1: Mil Naves #1 (Age of Bronze #1.1)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 2: Mil Naves #2 (Age of Bronze #1.2)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 3: Mil Naves #3 (Age of Bronze #1.3)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 4: Sacrificio #1 (Age of Bronze #2.1)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 5: Sacrificio #2 (Age of Bronze #2.2)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 6: Sacrificio #3 (Age of Bronze #2.3)