Start by marking “Bees in America: How the Honey Bee Shaped a Nation” as Want to Read:
Bees in America: How the Honey Bee Shaped a Nation

Bees in America: How the Honey Bee Shaped a Nation

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
" Honey bees--and the qualities associated with them--have quietly influenced American values for four centuries. During every major period in the country's history, bees and beekeepers have represented order and stability in a country without a national religion, political party, or language. Bees in America is an enlightening cultural history of bees and beekeeping in th ...more
Published April 21st 2006 by University Press of Kentucky (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bees in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bees in America

Sarah Key
Mar 08, 2012 Sarah Key rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I've never read a book solely based on beekeeping before but have always been fascinated by the process. I learned a lot from this book, and I'm going to delve into that below. So... erm, nonfiction historical spoiler alert? You have been warned, interwebz.

I found it really interesting to see how the gender of beekeepers changed throughout history. From Dutch wives to pastors to the factories in WW2. It was also really cool to read about how bees made their way into American rhetoric

Teachers an
Finergrind
Jul 16, 2008 Finergrind rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the well being of nature and country
Recommended to Finergrind by: Neil Gaiman
I love bees. A swarm would set up in my Grandfather's garage walls, so I spent many a summers afternoon watching them go in and out, and those on the outbound flight would have a young boy following them to see where they landed and what flower drew them in.

_Bees in America: How the Honey Bee Shaped a Nation_ was an engaging read. I enjoyed the first part of the book, more than the last part, because the idea that an insect would have such a major impact on the landscape, as well as the conscien
Kris
Apr 16, 2016 Kris rated it it was amazing
An accessible natural and social history history of honey bees in America. Horn provides both broad and detailled context for any reader interested in honey production, bees, or the natural history of America. Belongs in any medium or large public or academic library, and smaller libraries with local interest.
Randall
Jan 20, 2014 Randall rated it really liked it
An excellent engaging history of American beekeeping, focusing on some rare topics: the importance of honeybees and their image in diverse cultures, how legislature has effected beekeeping, the socially progressive history of honey operations, and an overview of some to the contemporary problems facing beekeepers. Particularly helpful was an explanation of commercial beekeeping since the '70s and how that's set up many of our current woes (import bans on bees that keep useful genetic traits out ...more
Anna
Mar 23, 2014 Anna rated it liked it
This book has lots of interesting facts, but is a bit scholarly and takes some slogging to get through. Luckily, you won't have to slog since I've posted the highlights on my blog.
Ellie
Mar 27, 2015 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read.
Gregg
This book provides a great overview of how bees and beekeeping have affected American history and culture. Horn takes us from colonial times through to the present. including discussion of how bees and beehives became metaphors for American independence and westward expansion. The Mormons and their symbolic appropriation of the beehive is especially discussed. With all of the recent discussion on the "disappearing bees" this book reminds us why bees are important to America on multiple levels.
Steve Hawley
Jun 10, 2014 Steve Hawley rated it it was ok
excellent vignettes which of themselves are informative but overall the book is awkwardly constructed the author's argument forced.
Cassandra Carico
Jan 23, 2010 Cassandra Carico rated it really liked it
This is a book so full of fascinating information. It is sure to entertain and inform. Surprisingly, I don't think that one needs to have a love for bees prior to reading this book, only just a curiosity. The love will blossom as one reads this intriguing history.
Magda
Mar 11, 2009 Magda marked it as to-read
On second thought, I don't know how interested I am in reading this book. It sounds interesting, but it still manages to read like a junior high history textbook in terms of keeping my attention. Maybe another time...
Nezka
Apr 29, 2012 Nezka rated it it was amazing
Fabulous social history and cultural entomology of the European honeybee in America, including relationships between bees and religion, industry, ethnic background, gender, and politics.
Annette
Oct 22, 2012 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honey bees have been a part of American history for four hundred years. This book traces the cultural history of bees and beekeeping throughout history.
Willa Grant
Dec 07, 2009 Willa Grant rated it really liked it
A very interesting work about honey in our history. If you like bees & bee keeping you will find this fascinating.
Aimee
Just too slow moving for me to get into. I guess I'm just not in the mood for scholarly right now. :)
CFAITC
This book is an enlightening cultural history of bees and beekeeping in the United States.
Candice
May 27, 2013 Candice rated it it was amazing
Brilliant insight into the history of bees. I learned so much.
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Ericka
Ericka marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Tina Perantonakis
Tina Perantonakis marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Doug Schmidt
Doug Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Janis Lai
Janis Lai marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Hellspawnfish
Hellspawnfish marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Kady Maser
Kady Maser marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Ariel Pritchard
Ariel Pritchard marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Kai Wright
Kai Wright marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Apex157x
Apex157x marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Emmett Logscribe
Emmett Logscribe marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • Letters from the Hive: An Intimate History of Bees, Honey, and Humankind
  • The Beekeeper's Handbook, Third Edition
  • The Hive: The Story of the Honeybee and Us
  • The Sacred Bee in Ancient Times and Folklore
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
  • Brewer's Rogues, Villains & Eccentrics: An A-Z of Roguish Britons Through the Ages
  • A Spring without Bees: How Colony Collapse Disorder Has Endangered Our Food Supply
  • Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis
  • The Forgotten Pollinators
  • A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them
  • Top-Bar Beekeeping: Organic Practices for Honeybee Health
  • The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes & Other Home Uses
  • The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire and the Birth of an Obsession
  • Plan Bee: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Hardest-Working Creatures on the Planet
  • The Queen Must Die and Other Affairs of Bees and Men
  • The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden
  • The Making Of The English Landscape