Start by marking “How to Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion” as Want to Read:

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,363 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
If popular culture has taught us anything, it is that someday mankind must face and destroy the growing robot menace.

In print and on the big screen we have been deluged with scenarios of robot malfunction, misuse, and outright rebellion. Robots have descended on us from outer space, escaped from top-secret laboratories, and even traveled back in time to destroy us.

Today, s
Published November 1st 2005 by Bloomsbury USA (first published October 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How to Survive a Robot Uprising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Survive a Robot Uprising

D.G.
After reading this, I realized that if the robots rebel, I'm screwed.

How to Survive a Robot Uprising is a very amusing compendium of different types of robots and how you can fight them when the need arises. Among other things, tips include how to escape from smart houses and fight snake robots (for real.) Sadly though, fighting the robots will too hard for me - basically, you'll have to live in caves - so I guess I'll have to betray the human race and join our robot foe (I like my comforts too
Gavin
Sep 24, 2007 Gavin rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: survivalists, people who like being alive
PRO: It is pocket-sized for ease of portability, when all you have is what you can fit on your back, and of course an EMP detonator and a copy of C++ for dummies.

CON: Skynet already probably has a copy and a software patch to deal with the obvious advantage of this book.

Ben
Dec 09, 2009 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not obvious, but the rebellion has already begun. I am ready for it now. None of my GR friends have read this, and I fear for them. While everyone seems ready for the zombies, they are ignoring the real threat. It is likely already too late.
Mike (the Paladin)
This should be under "science fiction sort-of". While the library treats this (and shelves it) under humor the book is actually taking itself quite seriously.

There is speculation about how a robot rebellion may happen and what to do to survive it (or overcome it).

I think the book should have chosen one direction or the other. In sort of staring out or presenting itself as humor with a serious side it winds up up being neither a proverbial fish or proverbial fowl.

It's neither really funny of very
Michael
Oct 15, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
As the book itself says, when the robot uprising starts, it will be too late to memorize the advice and tips it contains. The time to read this book is now, people. The robots know that this book exists (since it cataloged in many computer databases, including this one) and so, it will be one of the first targets that they seek out and destroy when they start their rebellion. In fact, thanks to Goodreads.com, they will probably know who has read the book, too, and will seek out and ...uh, oh.
Th
chucklesthescot
Dec 31, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it did not like it
I was expecting a lot more humour in this book but it was sadly lacking in that area except for the odd chuckle here and there. There was a lot of technical jargon in it and overall it wasn't particularly interesting. I only finished the book to claim points for a reading challenge.
Jurgen_i
Aug 09, 2012 Jurgen_i rated it really liked it
Shelves: robots
Not 5 points, since this is not a complete robot uprising survival handbook. It’s a collection of tips on surviving during such an event. It earns 4.5 points.

I was partly ironic partly serious when I started this book. Although I don’t believe that in the foreseeable future we will face the robot uprising, it’s very important to be aware of such a possibility. In such a way we can prevent a robot uprising. Alas, the mood of the book completely corresponded with mine! The best description of the
Rusty
Wilson continues to follow in Max Brooks' footsteps. Robopocalypsebore up well in comparison to World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. But this robot version of The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead falls flat. There was some interesting information presented, but the attempts at humor seemed like an (half-formed) afterthought. And thus, it was pretty off-putting.
Matthew Holman
Apr 11, 2015 Matthew Holman rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. The book is a tongue in cheek style book that educates people how to survive a real robot uprising. I like how the author discusses real life robots that are being developed that parallel the fictional ones he writes about in this book too. Both an exciting and scary read.
Grace Troxel
Jun 25, 2013 Grace Troxel rated it it was ok
While shelving books at work, I happened to come across Daniel H. Wilson’s “How to Survive a Robot Uprising.” The title made me chuckle, so I thought I’d give it a read.

Written by a robotics researcher, the premise of the book is a humorous look at how robots work and how to thwart their sensors to survive the robot apocalypse.

The good, the bad, & the ugly: The illustrations in this book were awesome, and very much the best part. The premise is good, and at first I found the book entertainin
Rori
Jun 05, 2016 Rori rated it did not like it
Not really my style. I finished listening, but probably won't be trying another others by this author.
Jason Salas
Jan 17, 2016 Jason Salas rated it really liked it
For those who don't know yet, I am not a fan of robots. They are soulless and they don't love. When I saw this audiobook on the shelf at the library, I had to pick it up. And I'm glad I did. I am now prepared for the robot uprising.

The author, Daniel H. Wilson, states clearly that this book is categorized as "humor." At the same time, he states that the information is all valid. The back of the book states that Wilson "is a Ph.D. candidate at the Robotics Institute of Carnegie Mellon university
Gendou
Feb 04, 2015 Gendou rated it did not like it
Pointless. The book is supposed to be humorous, but it was more embarrassing than funny. It's like a 12 year old kid read a few news stories about different robots and decided to share it with the world. The book isn't technical. Nothing is explored in depth. More bulleted list than book. Skip this one.
Steve
Sep 12, 2015 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
As I began to listen to this book I couldn't help but notice how the reader was so dry, so monotone, so...robotic. Obviously I couldn't take anything he said seriously and was thusly very skeptical and nervous while going through this book. The book only seemed to mock me when it went on to talk about how robots might try to mimic humans in order to subvert us. It was quick to inform us however that robots would never be able to carry out more than a few lines of dialogue without being extremely ...more
Demetrius Davis
Feb 10, 2011 Demetrius Davis rated it really liked it
An absolute blast! Being a sarcastic person with a robotics background, I can proudly say that this book was written for geeks like me.
Adam
Nov 18, 2009 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the book version of a Christopher Guest mockumentary. Subtle but razor-sharp humor.
Cbringhurst
May 08, 2011 Cbringhurst rated it it was amazing
Funny! It is always good to be prepared, cause you never know...
Rebecca
Apr 30, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it
There is a surprising amount of real information about robots (and geckos) in this book. It is a survival guide to a robot rebellion that is written by a real roboticist. So all of the technical data about robots is real. He explains what robots are capable of and what they will be capable of in the near future. And because he knows what he’s talking about all of the techniques for thwarting the upcoming attack ring true as well. It is written with a sense of humor and I often found myself laugh ...more
Hollowspine
Mar 15, 2016 Hollowspine rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
2.5

How to Survive a Robot Uprising was a bit too long to be truly enjoyable for me. After getting to the half-way point I think I'd had enough of the roomba jokes and references to Terminator and the Matrix. Not that all of that wasn't funny, I just had had my laugh and had gotten a bit bored.

For those who are big fans of Mystery Science Theater this would probably not be the case. I also found the narrator's voice to be very similar to that of Cecil from Night Vale, so those who like Welcome to
Chantel
Jan 31, 2014 Chantel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an audiobook. 1/3. Three people listened...only one half-way enjoyed it.

The author has the right idea with the book but should have handed this version over to a true humorist so that they could fill it out with the over the top laughs that you expect from a book with a title like this. You have to work to find the humor. The author wrote this book from a survivalist standpoint with very dry humor. No characters, no plot line, no story to pull you through. It read like a hi
Scott D.
Oct 30, 2009 Scott D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audio
If you've been sitting up nights, concerned about the dangerous uprising of robots and other computerized gadgets against the human race, then this book is for you. In here, you'll find tips on how to outrun a two-legged robot and how to survive a high speed chase involving a robot car. The tools you'll learn to use will allow you to confuse, distract, and escape from all kinds of robots, from "toaster to Terminator".

Daniel H. Wilson, the author, is a Ph.D. candidate at the Robotics Institute of
Nick Gotch
Mar 22, 2009 Nick Gotch rated it really liked it
While the title seems a little out there, the book itself is pretty good. It's written somewhat comically but sci-fi lovers and robot enthusiasts will definitely enjoy.

First thing to note: the author is a PhD candidate in robotics at Carnegie Mellon University so he's not just some sci-fi nut, he's a legitimate robot expert. Next, even though the book is written with a little bit of a comic-edge there are a *ton* of useful robotics facts spread throughout the work. Reading it gives you a good hi
Liberty Gilmore
What's Good About It

The illustrations. No, seriously. Get yourself a copy just to flick through the illustrations - they are hilarious.

But in terms of the actual writing, that was pretty funny too - there are a lot of pop culture references, and some completely random statements that illicit a snort of laughter. The advice seems pretty sound too - Wilson clearly knows his robots (as he should do with a Ph.D in them) and the descriptions of current prototype robots are fascinating - great researc
Angela2932
Jan 28, 2015 Angela2932 rated it really liked it
I'm disappointed with this book. Silly me! I thought I was really going to get foolproof tips on how to survive a pending rebellion, but no! Last week, I was taken hostage by my Nook and the robot in my living room. I was hoping that some of the clever tips I'd learned from this book would ultimately help me survive more ordeals, but alas--this book just does not provide enough to ensure survival. It was an enjoyable read, and the details about robotics were interesting, but I still am in the da ...more
Clinton
Nov 18, 2008 Clinton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This is one of those books that is presented very tongue-in-cheek, similar to The Zombie Survival Guide: what do you do when the robots begin to take over the world? Anyone who's seen a sci-fi film in the last, well, ever, knows that the day is coming.

The secret to these types of books, where a completely ludicrous situation is presented completely seriously, is to never ever blink. The author has to maintain the illusion that he's serious the entire time, even though we the readers know that he
Maria
We all know that robots are just making their plans to take over the world... which means that its not too late for you to make your plans to escape. Filled with practical advice about surviving, like keeping an ax to go through walls when your robot house revolts, and to double check the child seat before you toss it out the window to confuse the robot car chasing you, or asking your Ewok friends for advice on stopping a "walker robot," this book may save your life.

Why I started it: It was ment
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2007 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Daniel H. Wilson is actually a Ph.D candidate at the Robotics Institute of Carnegie Mellon University. All of this sci-fi robotic hijinx is real – and real cool. The way the book is set up, he describes the real robot forms and their history. Then, by examining the actual robotic mechanics he instructs you how to escape when the robot inevitably gains autonomy and attacks its human creators. For example, modular robots can assume any form and they can self-repair almost instantly. The technique ...more
Amy
Nov 01, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, punching
An interesting, rather ambitious, book. How To Survive a Robot Uprising attempts to convey actual information about the current and near-term future status of robotics in the guise of a cheeky survival handbook. While not totally successful, I appreciated the effort and the crisp, clean graphics did add a some pizazz to the more dry and businesslike sections. The main problem with the book might be author Daniel H. Wilson's breadth of knowledge. He attempts to cover a lot of ground in a very sho ...more
Kirsten Simkiss
May 23, 2016 Kirsten Simkiss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
An education on how to survive if robots ever decide that humans are bad news and need to be exterminated. While I don't think robot roaches are ever going to take over the world, they definitely cover all the potential threats. This book kind of reads like a cautionary text book that wants to be your friend while also making potshots at your inability to adapt to a large mechanical group of foes trying to slaughter you and your friends.
Tyler S
Sep 29, 2008 Tyler S rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: to kids who really like robots or to 4th-7th graders
How To Survive A Robot Uprising was an OK book, unless you really like robot or the end of the world. The whole book is just a whole bunch of tips on how to evade robots robot cars and many other things like that. The best part of the book was How To Pose As A Humanoid Robot that was interesting. It was also pretty funny as is the whole book, because they thought of these crazy scenarios.

This book would be a great book for a 6th grader maybe even a 7th grader but it is a horrible book for high
  • How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans, and More!!!
  • The Government Manual for New Superheroes
  • The Action Hero's Handbook
  • The Batman Handbook
  • Blood Feuds (War World, #6)
  • A World of Difference
  • Real Ultimate Power: The Official Ninja Book
  • Name of the Beast
  • Undercover Sex Signals: A Guide For Guys
  • Sleipnir
  • The Book of Kane
  • The Disease to Please: Curing the People-Pleasing Syndrome
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Nemesis
  • A Call to Arms
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Monster Hunter's Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Saving Mankind from Vampires, Zombies, Hellhounds, and Other Mythical Beasts
  • The Ruins of Power (BattleTech) (MechWarrior: Dark Age, #3)
Daniel H. Wilson grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He earned a Ph.D. in Robotics from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He lives and writes in Portland, Oregon.
More about Daniel H. Wilson...

“It's hard to wipe your eyes when you have whirring buzzsaws for hands.” 19 likes