Start by marking “Mama's Milk / Mamá me alimenta” as Want to Read:
Mama's Milk / Mamá me alimenta

Mama's Milk / Mamá me alimenta

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Celebrating the warm and loving bond between mammal mamas and their babies, this lushly illustrated book shows little ones doing what comes naturally-nursing. A perfect choice for cuddling up with a breast-feeding child or preschoolers who wonder how new babies get fed.

Now available as an English/Spanish edition in both hardcover and paperback. More than 20,000 copies so
Published March 1st 2008 by Tricycle Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mama's Milk / Mamá me alimenta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama's Milk / Mamá me alimenta

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is the first picture book I've read that deals with the subject of how mothers nurse their infants. In rhyming text, it starts out with a human mother, and then goes on to depict other mammals, including marsupials (platypus and kangaroo) and whales and dolphins. Ashley Wolff's pleasant, softly-colored illustrations generally avoid showing nipples, so young children might wonder how the infants are getting the milk. That can be explained, however, by an adult. Overall, I found this an infor ...more
Natalie
Beautiful book promoting breastfeeding. It shows how mammals feed their babies. The last picture shows a mother falling asleep feeding her baby - it would have been better if they were in bed, not on an armchair which is a bit unsafe. A picture with them falling asleep in bed would have emphasised that breastfeeding mamas gets more sleep (mentioned on the last page).
Natalie
We bought this for the kids for Christmas. It's a really cute book about different mammals and how we nurse our babies. Every lactivist should have a copy :-)
Pam
This is a wonderfully illustrated children's book which shows mothers of all kinds nursing their babies. I am a proud breastfeeder, and lament the fact that my youngest will not ever get to see me nurse another baby - I like the idea of modelling behaviors for my children firsthand. So, I often quietly point out nursing mothers in public, and I have been known to thank other mothers for breastfeeding in public and setting a good example for my children. Books like this one serve the same purpose ...more
Cindi
Breast milk has long been touted as the best food for newborns by doctors and parents around the world. The popularity of breastfeeding in America, has waxed and waned through the years, however. While organizations like La Leche and The Breastfeeding Network are known for educating new mothers and the public about the benefits of breast milk, there are still those who view nursing one's baby as something that should be hidden from the rest of society. For parents and caregivers that believe bre ...more
I love the premise of this children's picture book which shows that humans are mammals. In many ways it is a straightforward cozy picture book about baby animals that most children love, but it so happens that the baby animals (mammals and marsupials) are all suckling. We see foals standing, joeys with their head's in Mum's pouch, blue whales and even armadillo and platypus. At the back are miniature copies of each picture with interesting facts. never knew platypus babies are called puggles!

The
Christina
Adorable book, and the first time we checked it out my daughter was excited that the animals were nursing and would say and sign to nurse when she saw them. Having the names of the baby animals provides something for older children to learn.

I was disappointed that there's a picture of a mom spoon-feeding a baby in a stroller, however. Now that my daughter is nearly 2, she points that out and I've had to tell her what she's doing. I've never spoon-fed her, and it bothers me that it's in a book th
Natalie
Beautiful book promoting breastfeeding. It shows how mammals feed their babies. I was a bit surprised to see the picture of the baby being spoon fed. The last picture shows a mother falling asleep feeding her baby - it would have been better if they were in bed, not on an armchair which is a bit unsafe. A picture with them falling asleep in bed would have emphasised that breastfeeding mamas gets more sleep (mentioned on the last page).
Holyn
This book shows pictures and tells stories of all different babies nursing with their moms. I think it will be helpful to revisit when Adeline has a younger brother or sister and begins to have questions about me nursing the new baby. This time she mostly enjoyed the pictures of the animals and making the sounds of the ones she recognized.
Heather Boyd
One of the only books I've found that celebrates breastfeeding. The text is in both Spanish and English, though I think the rhymes are more fluid in spanish. Choppy at times, but wonderfully illustrated, the author highlights several breastfeeding mammals throughout the poem, and includes facts about the animals at the end of the book.
Angela
Soft, warm book with very easy text that rightly labels platypus babies 'puggles' and mater-of-factly discusses the rightness of breastfeeding in the animal kingdom and the human species.
Natalie
How fantastic! Nursing mammals of all kinds. Ever wonder how mama whales nurse? Here you go. And bats! Upside down? I'm gonna try that tonight.
Kerri
There just aren't enough books about breastfeeding for kids. M loved this book for a long time.
Emerson
A book promoting breast feeding. A gift from Uncle Gabo
Susan
So nice to see a picture book about breastfeeding!
Heather Hatfield
Heather Hatfield marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Jun 30, 2015
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Feb 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
"I am fascinated by children's natural curiosity and innate science exploration skills," says author and Yosemite Association naturalist Michael Elsohn Ross. "For ten years I have worked with my good friend Allison Brown, a teacher, seeking new ways for children to experience open-ended science play."

It was findings from this project that ultimately gave rise to WHAT'S THE MATTER IN MR. WHISKERS'
More about Michael Elsohn Ross...
Snug As a Bug What's the Matter in Mr. Whiskers' Room? A World of Her Own: 24 Amazing Women Explorers and Adventurers Salvador Dalí and the Surrealists: Their Lives and Ideas, 21 Activities Play with Me